The Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yes.. "perhaps" it can be afforded.

Somehow.

2. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not as hard as you make out. We spend money on player salaries rather than transfers. We keep Sadiq as our backup to Dzeko. We bring back Politano and/or Pellegrini for depth.

This is why we shouldn't be loaning every player that isn't a starter. Guys like Vainqueur, Ricci, Politano, Sadiq would have been useful as reserves.

romanista8910 repped this.
  3. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's not far-fetched. They can make it happen - it's moves like that which divides the men from the boys.

4. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think any additional investment will depend on the stadium. If JP thinks there is a chance it doesn't get done he's not going to drop a dime into this team.

5. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a nice idea and I'm all for it but even if it was the goal of the club to do it I get the feeling there are gonna be more than a couple of players who will want out this summer.

shiboboo repped this.
  6. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    LS went all Trump on the media today.

Java65 repped this.
  7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO:

8. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #408 GamE_Ove12, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Some don't know or conveniently ignore that we operate on an extremely tight budget. We missed on CL and not surprisingly we are -50 mil in the red in our last financial report. All the money we got from Pjanic we used to secure Salah, Rudiger and Elsharawy loans. Next summer we have about 30 mil to pay for similar loan deal obligations (Peres, Rui, Jesus +/- Grenier). In addition if we want to get Pelligrini back we will have to pay 11 mil. Here's your CL money all spent right there.

I'd love to keep the same team and add important pieces to it. Obviously that would be the logical approach if the means allow it. But in my opinion, next summer there are few realistic scenarios. Everything else is with all respect pure fans fantasy. Now you can decide to accept it and live with it or be prepared for another summer disappointment next August.

• If we fail to secure 2nd place:
    You can bet your home and car a player or two will be sold. No if's or but's. My bet it is Paredes and Manolas. Rudiger is also an alternative possibility. There is simply no possible way to run the team 2 seasons straight with no CL money.

• If we secure 2nd place and direct CL qualifications:
    Spalletti has tough decision to make. Keep the same team or sell a key player to finance adding 2-3 pieces. I personally think Paredes will be sacrificed for that purpose. Gerson too will be sold with the likes of Iturbe, Castan, Skorupski..

• In either situation we might be able to find some loans with options to buy. Something similar to what we offered Sassuolo in January for Defrel (2 year loan with complex payment structure). This however will limit the options and quality of the players we can get. Don't expect world beaters but we can get lucky again with someone like Salah or Rudiger.
    • In Manolas case, regardless of scenario above, it will also depend on him. If Chelsea/Inter/ManU offer him 4 mil or more we simply can't match it with our current finances and he will force his way out. My prediction he is 80-90% gone in the summer.
    So yeah, not as straight forward as put out to be.

9. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But you've just proved a point - if you sell those players listed above, the ones that are not helping the cause and the ones not in the first team, then they can be replaced with players who can make the difference.

Paredes is going to catch an easy 20. Gerson at least ten, Skorupski ten, Iturbe okay lets just say eight to play it safe, and Castan for two and change (which is probably unfair of me). You are looking at 50m euros; that's more than enough to keep the existing team, add Pellegrini, add Defrel, and Borja Valero.

Daje.

10. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We can't afford to keep everyone and add new players, let alone top players. That suicide job on Olimpico vs Porto screwed up the books and now they need fixing.

I think Manolas is gone for sure. If a big offer comes, we can't afford to reject it. If somehow we fail to get 2nd place again, it will become really difficult. It's paramount to keep 2nd.

GamE_Ove12 repped this.
  11. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Obviously I was talking about keeping the same team with the view in mind that we will finish second. Without that of course you have to expect major players leaving. Champions league money covers players we're obliged to pay for. Now adding one or two additions through the same way we always do, installments and selling deadweight. So G_O you just explained its possible what I was saying while yesterday you were labelling it fantasy.

Midfield General repped this.
  12. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #412 GamE_Ove12, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    You said "keeping the same team and adding 2 top players". Maybe the confusion arises from what appears to be different definitions of what a "top" player is. What I think is that we simply can't keep the same team and add 2 top players by just selling dead weight, even if we make it to CL directly. Unless we get extremely lucky, we can't land a "top" player using loan with option to buy formula. Defrel, for example, is to me a good squad player but far from being a top player that can make the difference in quality.

So yeah keeping same team and adding 2 "top" players on top of that, using my definition of what a top player is, is pure fantasy regardless of where we finish. That's even without factoring the salary factor. No top player will join us for just 3 or 4 mil/yr contract.

13. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ok top was a bad choice of word, the follow onto my post was this.
    What I meant was players capable of making a big difference for us over the course of the season giving other key players more games off.

14. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why are you being difficult G0

15. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of Manolas staying. I made my peace with that a year plus ago.

I also wonder about Ninja. Quality is undisputed, but he's no spring chicken, and he plays with reckless abandon. So far, he's gotten the best of his collisions, but for how long does that last?

16. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Maybe it is your perception. People on this site are over sensitive about their opinions being debated for whatever reason. No wonder it is dying.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #417 falvo, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    James Pallotta as always refused to talk about Spalletti or Totti's contract on the domenica sportiva last night. I don't get why they keep asking him questions if they know he won't answer.

18. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this squad was going to win anything, it would've happened this season. Not Serie A, but they flopped in CL, EL, and TIM Cup. What have they done to make Pallotta think eating more money (if he is even allowed to do that) would be the broken egg that makes an omelet?

19. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm highly skeptical of Manolas staying as well. If he is intent on leaving Roma are better off selling now while his value is at it's highest. Hopefully the can convince him to stay but I doubt it.

I wouldn't sell Ninja, even if you only get 2 more really good years out of him its worth it. Roma can certainly extended his career by adding depth and giving him games off. At some point you need to start worrying about winning and not building for the future.

ErPupone repped this.
  20. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they can keep this squad, mostly, together and add depth I see no reason next season cannot be even better.

21. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It rarely works out the same way two consecutive seasons. We've had a lot go right to get us this far. If Dzeko goes back to being Eeyore, and Ninja gets hurt, we're screwed.

We need to be capable of playing less direct in attack, because the well dries up abruptly and permanently when teams start game-planning for that.

22. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It never goes the same because we almost always revamp the squad.

That said the obsession with trophies is misguided, IMO. Let's be honest the only trophy we are really talking about is CI. Even if we go through an entire season without injuries our chances winning the scudetto while playing in the CL and CI are very, very slim. CL odds are 0%. We could make the CL get knocked out in the group and go for the EL title which we can do if we have a deeper squad.

If Roma are going keep making the CL/EL that really reduces our CI chances because we'll never have a squad deep enough for 3 tournaments. There is too much money in the CL and EL to just throw a reserve squad at those.

Bottom line is that trophies are going to be very hard to come by if Roma keeping playing in either the CL or EL.

23. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Spalletti headed back home to Florence during that break and didn't meet with Pallotta. Not a good sign. :(

24. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The Luis Enrique season was by far the most frustrating in recent years. I remember wanting to punch my computer a few times because we played so boring and ineffective. I also turned it off before the end sometimes which I usually really don't do, no matter how bad they play. Passing the ball around the opponent's box for 80 minutes without any real chance just to concede a last minute goal on the counter. The only positive thing that year was that it was DDR's last world class season.

whill4 and Java65 repped this.