The Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Official Spalletti is the new coach of AS Roma.

lb961, porreca and Henchag repped this.
  2. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Official?

3. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Sky is giving it as official.

Henchag repped this.
  4. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #4 DDR, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    Hopefully I did not jump the gun. :ROFLMAO:

I have a lot of feelings. First of all, thanks to Rudi Garcia for all his effort but it was time to move on. Honestly it was time to move on last season because the same problems we are currently exhibiting were all there under our eyes last season. Regardless of that, he joined us when we were down and helped us get back on our feet. For that I will always be grateful.

As for Luciano, I can't lie it's a choice that is very sentimental for me. Aside from the scudetto winning side I think Spalletti's Roma has been the best Roma of this modern age. Bar none. We won some lesser trophies and played some fantastic football. When his Roma was on, man was it a joy to watch. And I can't help but feeling that we never finished what we started with Spalletti. We got incredibly close, I would even say one tittle was robbed from us, but then the lack of resources prevented us from taking the next step. And I truly believe that Luciano felt that way and that a big part of that is why he never wound up coaching another Italian team.

On the other hand as they say in Italy ... reheated soup is never as good as it was. There is a chance this plays out like Zeman's return. A choice made for the wrong decisions. But for now I want to believe.

Bentornato Mister!!!

[​IMG]

5. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Spalletti is the coach Totti shall retire with, hope with a scudetto next year.
    I hope Spal is given the power in transfer mercato instead of Sabatini to choose players.
    Spal, much like Zeman/Baldini come with lots of high expectation by fans. Hope his legacy doesnt get ruined, like previous two.

6. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Spalletti's staff will be composed of Marco Domenichini and Daniele Baldini, who were with him during his first tenure. The athletic preparatory will remain those under Darcy Norman and Ed Lippie. Luca Franceschi, also a Spalletti original, will continue to take care of the injured players. The current medical staff and goal keeper coach are likely to be confirmed.

7. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't think that drawing comparisons between Zeman and Spalletti is fair to the latter. I never had any feelings for Zeman. Maybe his first stint here was magical, I wasn't a fan then, but he should have never been rehired. He's a grumpy, stubborn old fart and managed to alienate most of the players. Spalletti is much brighter and should manage his return much better.

8. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    In political sense they are similar. Both deploy an attacking form of football that the fans loves, both were also loved be the fans for their personalities respectively.

I'm excited to see Spalletti, some of my fondest memories of football are with Spalletti. Man Utd. & Chelsea at the Olimpico, away to Lyon and Real, I can still see Mancini attacking down the left, multiple stepovers in the Lyon box then rifling the ball into the top left corner.

I hope Spalletti has Pallotta's full backing in the market - Sabatini is a great great scout but he needs to work with someone with the first 11 in mind. It'd also be sad for Spalletti to return and be shackled by the same barriers of an owner uninterested in improving the club.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

lb961 repped this.
  10. Deini

Deini Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Holland
    Garcia is out. Bompard and Fichaux also gone.

Spalletti is coming home!!!!

11. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sad for Garcia but i agree with @DDR , we should have fired him a lot sooner.

As for Luciano , Welcome back Mister!

lb961 repped this.
  12. Quantum

Quantum Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Finally it's official. The Roma website has confirmed Garcia's departure.

Really hope they bring along some defensive reinforcements like Tonelli along for the bald one.

lb961 repped this.
  13. Big Tom

Big Tom Member+

Sep 11, 2011
    In Jimmy's Fountain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ah finally :D:D:D

I'm really looking forward to what Spalletti can do with the club this time round with cash to spend. :thumbsup:

14. Veselin10

Veselin10 Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    Thank you Rudi. We were a mess when he took over, now we are back in CL and competing for the top places in Serie A. Too bad it didn't work out the way we all wanted.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why didn't they do it at the Christmas break?

Midfield General repped this.
  16. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Because we won against Genoa and certain managers & directors who should follow Garcia out the door wanted to pretend that everything was okay.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #17 falvo, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    I don't see how he wouldn't know that he wasn't going to be there. I mean if we all speculated it over a month ago, he had to know he was on his way out. I'm also sure they had contact with Luciano Spalletti before or during the break.

18. Quantum

Quantum Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Agree. Rudi brought stability & CL football back to Rome, and so deserves a big thank you.

But it was the right time to go. Things had gone stale, and the atmosphere around the club has grown dark. Ultimately, his refusal to vary his tactics & Saba's inability to assemble a more complete starting 11 did him in.

I hope Pallotta realizes that Saba is equally culpable for the current situation by assembling a threadbare & inexperienced defensive corps.

romanista8910 and Veselin10 repped this.
  19. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Damn I wish Tonetto was still young, loved him under Spalletti

I just hope this team has the character the teams of old had under Luciano. They were a joy to watch even against the best in Europe.

TifosoRoma repped this.
  20. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Garcia officially sacked. Waiting now for the annoucement for Spalletti. Hopefully he knocks some sense into Sabatini and we pull out from signing both Perotti and SES. Focus on Tonelli and a fullback instead.

lb961 repped this.
  21. Generic Roma Supporter

Aug 18, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
  22. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I pretty much have the same feelings. We all knew Spalletti was hamstrung by the mercato back then. I just can't get too excited because of the whole reheated soup thing.

I'm excited for Florenzi, both as a player and as a fan who probably adored Spalletti during his first tenure.

romanista8910, Shen-O, DDR and 1 other person repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just a thought after looking up the results, had Spalletti not lost the first two games on the 20o9-2010 season to Genoa and Juve, Roma will have won the scudetto......

upload_2016-1-13_4-35-19.png

24. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or if Ranieri hadn't lost at home to Livorno...or Sampdoria.

That Genoa game was highway robbery. Genoa players were getting away with murder.

shiboboo and DDR repped this.
  25. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a little like @Wolfbeatseagle and @DDR, I like Spalletti but the second time around? I am just worried he was hired for the wrong reason's. It was easy, he is familiar and he's a fan favorite. Does that mean he's the best choice? I don't know really. Are expectations going to be unreasonable?

Just a little apprehensive because of the whole, 'second time around thing'

forza venti and shiboboo repped this.