The Cities Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by That Phat Hat, Sep 12, 2012.

1. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article also points out that even largely white cities have a similar split.
    I mean people do seek out like minded people.But I wonder whether the steering done for years ,by realtors ,of people of color to certain areas, has also included different groups of whites as well.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Do they ask you questions about Kale? :p

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Up here?Its more like "do you hunt or buy your lunch ?"

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I wonder how much fudging was involved, though I can believe it in broad strokes for Akron. My antenna went up when I saw that my neighborhood specifically showed up as dead even (or a forgotten hole) surrounded by mildly R areas on the south side of a major highway for two reasons: it shares a precinct directly across said highway which is moderately D with some mildly R (the latter of that being a cemetery and a shopping center, with about 3 houses). I would expect much more D in the northern parts. I find it very odd that my neighborhood would be right in the middle, though I could buy either direction. Much of the precinct's southern area is deceptively large, though unsurprisingly R (it's Firestone Country Club - a non-residential CC - but also the MetroPark in the western bit, which has no permanent human residents).

Then there's Hartville, very red, but only metropolitan Akron because it's directly between Akron and Canton, and if they're going there, they may as well include the eastern half of the township that isn't incorporated (they did include the western portion, also unincorporated).

Just seems a bit...off.

russ and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Areas surrounding cemeteries lean heavily D.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, is the dead people that vote Democrat, at least they did in Chicago in the 60's ;)

7. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The more I look at it, the dumber it looks. Almost no one would include Rittman unless one was including everything around it. Same with Ravenna. Kent (the blue between Stow and Ravenna) is a tweener, too. Similarly weird is the giant gap in 75% of New Franklin and the exclusion (apparent) of Bath Twp. and Richfield (bright red, probably). I have a hard time believing Copley is mostly dead center, so I'm guessing they got left out for...reasons. I could go on. Also, no chance Brimfield isn't red.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost certainly. I'm dealing with a realtor now and am looking to move into the city of Milwaukee. His initial push was for me to look to the suburbs, but somebody who wanted to live in the "right" suburbs would know how to look for what they want and indicate so to the realtor.

sitruc repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That happened to us here. When the first realtor wanted to show us a bunch of gated communities, it took a lot of restraint not to insult her. She didn't understand why I wanted to live somewhere with sidewalks and front porches.

Auriaprottu, sitruc, russ and 1 other person repped this.
  10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Memphis: That diagnal line is Poplar Ave which connected to 385. What is interesting is that the area between Barlett and Germantown was likely red about 15/20 years ago, but that is were the Black population is moving (Cordova), thus bringing "Black" politics.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give credit to my realtor who didn't bat an eye, just said something like I can get more bang for the buck.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You dont understand Mr.Wankler-is that German?People dont stand on porches here because everyone has illegal guns in those neighborhoods.At Cooter Run,only legal guns and good gun owners are allowed in And you cookout in the backyard ,where you can burn whatever you want in peace!"

Auriaprottu and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Cooter run? Oh my, I couldn't get way with anything that stereotypical without Pete giving me a yellow.

14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So many Easter Eggs in there and that's all you got from it?

SMH...

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Forgive me. Yes, that was a treasure trove, but I don't find the Germans funny,

16. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just recently I've been looking for a home. I currently live on the fringes of the Metro Detroit area and decided to move closer. Looked at moving to a town called Warren, bailed once i got annoyed dealing with seller and realizing the neighborhood was near a tank plant. It also made me realize that all of Macomb County is not my kind of place. Went back to my birthplace and found something. Annoying thing is I sacrificed a lot of space for convenience but I'm better off.

Dr. Wankler and russ repped this.
  17. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I stumbled upon this and was shocked. But on the other hand, $89k in SF isn't going to get you very far. Not surprised to see Midland MI on there (Dow Chemical). Flint had a chance a few years back to get a plant but the workers were being stubborn.* Detroit's making a comeback thankfully but still a lot of work to be done.

*: source for this is my dad, who sat in on the meetings.

Dominican Lou and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Nice tweet.

Shows how the economy stopped being dominated by manufacturing (Michigan) and is now tech (California) and finance-based (New York).

Pretty shocked that Midland, Texas was top 10 at any point. There's still a lot of oil jobs there but by all accounts, it's a terrible, crappy place.

19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I took an opportunity to yell back at a driver this morning. The thought crossed my mind to be polite and ignore him but that would have been so Omaha (or insert other non-large city).

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My wife is comforted when NYC drivers shriek at each other. She says that's natural, all those submissive drivers in our burbs drive her crazy. City girl, through and through.

xtomx and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  21. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    According to my wife, I shall have "THAT LIGHT'S NOT GETTING ANY GREENER!!!" engraved on my tombstone.

soccernutter repped this.
  22. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    For those of you that get to drive with Wifey at your side do you get reminded that the gas gauge shows half full or half empty? :rolleyes:

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    LMAO @ Cooter Run. That's probably a good real name for some of the neighborhoods these rednecks live in (as in, "Cooter runs from a racially transitioning school zone"). But they instead opt for horsey/slavey shit like "Saddle Chase Plantation".

EDIT: Oops- seems there's a BS member with this name. If you get a tag, Mr. Cooter, please accept my apologies.

song219, dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I got a wakeup call when sitting at a red and my then three year old muttered, "Daddy, when is the light going to fvcking change?".

In other city news, here's a list of our ten biggest floods in history (from the river gauge on the landing downtown):

(1) August 1993
    (2) June 2019 (cresting tomorrow)
    (3) April 1973
    (4) January 2016
    (5) April 1785 (not a typo)
    (6) May 1995
    (7) May 2017
    (8) May 2019
    (9) June 1844
    (10) June 2013

5 of them in the last 6-7 years. Between climate change, suburbanization creating extra impermeable ground and our desire to protect every little bit of land via levee, this is going to get much worse.

Auriaprottu, soccernutter, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    1785?

Chicago76 and roby repped this.