The Cities Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by That Phat Hat, Sep 12, 2012.

1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Actually it doesn't happen that much. The actual problem is that now we will have to raise everything 3, 6, 10 20 ft.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article41141856.html

[​IMG]

This foundation for Miami Beach’s future is actually a complicated and expensive experiment: As much as $500 million to install 80 pumps and raise roads and seawalls across the city. A first phase appears to be working, at least for now. But just one year into a massive public works project that could take six more, it’s way too soon to say whether and for how long it can keep the staggeringly valuable real estate of an international tourist mecca dry — especially in the face of sea level rise projections that seem to only get scarier with every new analysis.

roby repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I saw this earlier on the year, Brazil is not that different to the USA in this aspect.

I would assume places like Colombia, Honduras, Peru are similar.

http://www.humanosphere.org/human-r...rate-stark-racial-segregation-brazils-cities/

3. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yep. And in most cities, there's no real disincentive for homeowners and businesses who neglect their sidewalk clearing duties.

And speaking of snow and urbanism, plowed snow often creates accidental traffic calming devices a.k.a. sneckdowns.

4. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    The why to this issue explains the pattern well:

The pre and post WWII migrations of African Americans differed by city. The ones on the list above had a shortage of low skilled workers for basic manufacturing, so they received very low skilled AAs. The migration occurred earlier too, so there was less protection against segregationist housing policies on the books. The ghettos that formed where AAs could buy have continued to perpetuate today even in the absence of these policies. Once the policies were removed, high concentrations of formerly hemmed in AAs spilled into adjacent neighborhoods creating white flight, and those patterns and AA bands of residence persist today.

This is different than LA, where manufacturing was more skilled and based around aircraft. AAs who took these jobs were more skilled and economically mobile. The difference was self selecting according to jobs/skills. It was different than NYC or Boston, both of which were already de industrializing around WWII. Then there were areas that weren't really growing yet that aren't on the list: Orlando, Charlotte, Nashville, Oklahoma, Arizona, etc.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in Florida visiting my parents a couple weeks ago. However, while I saw plenty of snowbirds, I did not see Florida Man in his natural habitat.

6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    NYC ones up SF... $450/month for a crawl space. About the size & comfort of a prison cell. WTF is wrong with people? :confused:

The first thing that people want to know about Jack Leahy’s home, a 40-square-foot cubbyhole tucked into the ceiling of a performance space a few blocks from the waterfront in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, is whether it’s legal. The second question is how much he pays.

He doesn’t know the answer to the first. As for his rent? Tell a New Yorker you pay $450 a month, and he or she becomes very, very jealous.

“But they don’t have any idea,” Mr. Leahy said. “It’s like ‘The Phantom of the Opera’ — how much did that guy pay?”

On a recent evening, Mr. Leahy, a 25-year-old musician who moved to New York from Austin, Tex., late last September, pulled up in front of his home address on a skateboard, a Narragansett tall boy in one hand. The sun was setting over the East River, so he suggested a stop in his “living room” — a rock outcropping on the banks — before climbing the ladder to his quarters. Yes, a ladder.

While real estate agents and promoters often describe local hot spots as extensions of one’s living space, utilizing the amenities of greater Williamsburg is a necessity for Mr. Leahy. His windowless den measures roughly 9 feet long and 4.5 feet wide. You can stand at the entry, but once inside you mostly stoop — it’s only about 5 feet high. A twin-size futon mattress takes up most of the space.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/1...&kwp_1=430716&referer=https://m.facebook.com/

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He thinks Narragansett is cool?

Go back to Texas, cowboy.

russ, dapip and Dyvel repped this.
  8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I love this quote :

“Ideally, I would like to have access to a refrigerator to keep yogurt, milk, ice coffee, eggs, cheese, spinach, carrots, bell peppers, bread and an onion in. I also would like to have cabinet space for granola, potatoes, peanut butter, apples and bananas.

It would be nice if I could use the stove to cook eggs and potatoes on. Everything else I can eat without cooking. I assure you, the items listed are the extent of my limited diet.

Occasionally I will bring home a jalapeño."

9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    We can all laugh but, you know what, this dude is seeking a dream.

I came to NY and slept on a friend's couch until I could find a cheap place to crash. It was a little room in a crowded house of artists and filmmakers and pretentious twits. We occasionally drank Narraganset. Most of us went on to lead successful lives, some didn't and went back to Missouri or wherever, and some died. I can't imagine trying it today when you're monthly rent is $1600 for a room and you're making $10.50/hour before taxes. It seems impossible.

The guy in the coffin won't be there in 20 years. Hopefully, he'll have a floor dedicated to his artwork at the Whitney. If it doesn't work out he can always move back to Texas and live the boring, safe life in a bigger house.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    @crazypete13 perhaps this thread can be merged with the Cities thread, since at this point they're covering the same ground?

And laugh I will at the attempt to turn Nastygansett into a hipster beer. Of course, they're collaborating with the process by extending their line to include things like this...

[​IMG]

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Or he could grow a beard and make sustainable craft chocolates from melted down Hershey bars & sell them for $10/each at the Brooklyn Flea Market.

When did Brooklyn become so f-ing lame? :confused:

russ repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Already over, dude. It's Genny Cream Ale and lumberjack shirts now.

dapip and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hah! I've been drinking Genny before it was cool.

Well, since I moved here and the place down the street was selling tallboys for 99 cents each.

14. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    $15 a 30 pack here. It's my guest beer.

I'm a shitty host.

russ, dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It's never a good thing to do anything that would encourage a guest to stay or come back.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    My sneaky nephews hide the good stuff in the bushes at BBQs. But I've trained the dog to sniff it out. :D

17. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Done.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You are thinking Chicago...

http://www.elist10.com/top-10-countries-lowest-recorded-crime-rate/

Considered to be the safest country in Asia and with the majority of population absolutely sure about it, Singapore makes it number two on our list. Murder rates are merely at the mark of 0.3 murders per 100,000 inhabitants, while stats on thefts and robberies are virtually zero, null. However, this could be the result of the severe laws that have been implemented in Singapore and also the fact that death penalty has still not been abolished from the law and many crimes are punishable with caning and other torturous measures.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yo, maybe if we start hitting teenagers with bamboo canes when they post graffiti we could lower our murder rates like Singapore. Singapore does a lot of things right, but I would not want to change our current shitty system in Chicago for the police state (benevolent) that Singapore has. jmo.

My comment is that compact apartment blocks like that are a pain in the ass to police if they ever fall to slum status (It does not mean this particular one will.

21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Singapore has very limited space and the rich and the middle class to have the option of decamping to New West Bum******** when the poor start getting too close. In the future apartments like this are more likely to be renovated than to be abandoned to the next poorer wave to come into a neighborhood.

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It's built on limestone and spme streets flood during full moons now. You'll be Atlantis by the end of the century. #noclimatechange

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'll be anything you want if I'm alive by the end of the century.

But we're a shortsighted species... I really cannot see beyond 2038 when I can finally retire; by that time I am hoping to own some beachfront property, either moving or not moving..

24. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Pffft....simple fix. We need to start up some sponge farms. Problem solved!

I see a Noble Prize in my future. :coffee:

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be the Trump Prize by then ,surely?
    :eek:

I meant the Grimes Prize!Hail Grimes!

song219, Dr. Wankler and roby repped this.