The Chivas USA Rebrand Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Knave, Feb 20, 2014.

1. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I haven't heard the Hispanic Population reasoning used to justify expansion or relocation in a long time.

Fun fact, in MLS cities there is no correlation between size of the Hispanic population and the attendance.

2. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The answer to this is you use both. Official team name is something like CD Los Angeles. Nickname is Los Angelenos. Trademark both. Use both in all forms of marketing and merchandising. Then when you see LA on a hat or a shirt it can be both or either.
    Black hat with a white or silver LA on it no longer is just a Dodgers hat in an off color, it's a representation of Los Angelenos.

3. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't know the name Angelenos... but That doesn't seem spanish in any way.. or it isn't spanish?.. I don't know :(

It could be Angelinos or Angeleños... but both sound terrible to me.

4. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's English - it just means a person who lives in LA. It is derived from Angeleños.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/angeleno

BHTC Mike and RafaLarios repped this.
  5. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Angela is a nice name.

6. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Don't call it that.

7. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so too. It's my fiancée's name.

8. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Californiaaaaa. Here we coooooooooooome.

God, I feel so dirty.

9. OC United

OC United New Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    I know it may not sound very original but Internacional de Los Angeles, Inter for short obviously, would be a good fit for this club. Seriously that is what LA is all about. The different cultures and languages you find throughout this city is what makes Los Angeles so special...... Also I remember reading someone's suggestion about naming the team California Athletic and that has a nice ring to it as well

10. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Like I've been saying, LAX.

Grumpy in LA repped this.
  11. trevor_daniles

Aug 19, 2007
    I’m putting my 2 cents in. I like the simple Los Angeles Football Club. The onus is on Los Angeles which is a departure from the previous ownership. Considering there are no NFL teams, they do claim to be a *football* club J L.A.F.C. sounds great too. Hopefully a nickname can arise organically. I’ve always thought the “Goats” name was great. I would love for “Greatest of all Teams” become their mantra. Get it? Greatest Of All Teams.

My other choice would be Los Angeles Guardians. Guardians is a cool name for a sports teams that hasn’t been used. It plays on Los Angeles or City of Angels – Guardian Angels. Even if LAFC is the name, I would still like to see Guardians adapted as the unofficial nickname.

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Guardians and the Galaxy... something about that works... I can't quite put my finger on why though.

13. dodgers323

dodgers323 Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O.C.F.C.

14. dodgers323

dodgers323 Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! It rolls right off your tongue.

15. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C.D. OC/LA FC of Anaheim

USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  16. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter LA Deportivo de Carson City Association Footbol Club de Santa Anna.

matbluvenger repped this.
  17. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have to keep the Geographic connection in the name. For most fans that's the primary reason to support a club because they have some connection that area. Look at the biggest clubs in the World almost everyone is named after the city they play in, Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Liverpool F.C.. Even teams named after areas of cities like the London Clubs still have a Geographic home. So I like having your home as part of the name. If anything going the other way and only having the name of the city.

Too restrictive. Plus from my experience most people in OC associate themselves with LA sports, in terms of sports their really isn't a unique O.C. culture. And appealing to Hispanics I think is a good long term strategy but won't pay dividends for years. It's got to be a generational switch, which we are seeing, but has a ways to go.

My opinion of where the team should go is obvious 150 miles south. But unless I win the lottery it isn't happening.

18. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clubs by UEFA Club Coefficient.
    10. Arsenal FC
    22. Juventus
    26. AFC Ajax
    27. Olympiacos
    33. Sporting Club de Portugal
    38. Athletic Club
    50. PAOK FC
    54. Celtic FC
    58. APOEL FC
    60. Levante UD
    63. Trabzonspor AS
    73. BSC Young Boys
    77. Real Sociedad de Futbol
    94. Rangers FC

In the Premier League
    Crystal Palace, Aston Villa

In Serie A
    Atalanta BC, UC Sampdoria

In the Bundesliga
    Hertha BSC

In La Liga
    RCD Espanyol, Real Betis, CA Osasuna, Rayo Vallecano

19. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to argue about the others (don't know enough about them) but both Crystal Palace and Arsenal are named after Geographic locations.

20. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were named after buildings. Your "fans feel a connection to their area" idea doesn't seem to jive with, y'know, naming the clubs after buildings.

21. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well both are more than buildings they are areas of a city. Arsenal you could argue against because they have actually moved from the area of Woolwhich Arsenal and are now much more associated with North London, but palace continues to play in the area where the Crystal Palace was. There is also an athletics track and tube station all called Crystal Palace.

But the bigger thing is yes there are some clubs not directly named after areas but they are still the vast minority and many are referred to colloquially using their city name to identify them.

22. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of names on that list are geographic. Look up what the P in PAOK stands for or the B in Hertha BSC. Portugal is obviously a place, and Trabzonspor plays in the city of Trabzon. "Athletic Club" is actually Athletic Club de Bilbao.

matbluvenger repped this.
  23. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give you PAOK, Hertha, and Trabzonspor, but I'm not giving up on Sporting. Chivas USA used a similar "just throw the country out there" and it seems like we all agree that Chivas should feel more like LA's team.

24. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What?...

25. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone said Chivas USA needed to rebrand with some geographic moniker (like LA or Orange County or whatever), because "all the best clubs" do that and it will allow fans a little hometown pride. I decided to make a list of the clubs that didn't, and I included Sporting Club de Portugal.

ThreeApples was nice enough to fact-check my list, and removed Athletic Club, PAOK, Trabzonspor, and Hertha BSC. I agreed to those, but refused to similarly allow Sporting off the list because, like Chivas USA, just using "de Portugal" isn't enough to instill hometown pride.