The Chelsea Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. addicted2chelsea

Nov 11, 2007
    Australia
    Is Conte staying an option?... Just saying.

2. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think so if they haven't let him go already.

3. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It would require him to accept we aren't going to completely light our money on fire a la United, City. etc. but also some kind of concession on the boards part that we will do more to give him the depth we need.

I'd rather us go manager-less than see his mopey ass return to leading us again. If he comes in seemingly content, I'm OK with it. In all fairness, he doesn't seem like the ideal guy (if such a thing even exists..). Thought he showed a serious lack of creativity as well as made some poor decisions that facilitated our bad season. The constant complaining and sulkiness was very damaging.

4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he does they have to extend him. Cortuois and Hazard won't re up with the manager future uncertain. We also need to make some nice signings if we want Hazard to stay or we will risk losing him anyway.

5. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  6. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    None of it will matter if we don't get players.

7. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Zola doesn't really have a good managerial record? I like getting explayers involved cause it gets fans excited but does it make sense?

Also, the hold here seems to be Conte's 9 man staff, paying them off and finding replacements. That's a shit ton of work to do within a short time period. Instead of Ms. c you next Tuesday taking a vacation at the beginning of the transfer window, she should have been sorting this shit out.

Sorry I'm starting to rant, but the window has been open for over a month with nothing to show.

8. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Zola's record as a manager while less than stellar doesn't matter much as an assistant.

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    i feel this summer is going to suck for us.

10. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the inevitable sacking of sari mid season (this or next) may change that thought

But I get it...... That would be temporary anyways lol

Wrath repped this.
  11. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Any idea of managerial longevity is one that has to be abandoned. Idk what has anyone thinking managers last more than 2-3 seasons. They barely do anywhere else, why would they at Chelsea?

12. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I also dont see longevity as a positive thing, really. What I don't like is getting rid of managers for no reason. Conte has won two major trophies in two seasons and somehow he's awful.

lobomojo and Wrath repped this.
  13. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Who said hes awful?

I'm not nuts about him but if two parties can't get along and have major disagreements about things then its time to part ways.

JimWharton and Blueallthru repped this.
  14. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't expect any news until July 2. Conte's contract pay out probably drops a little as it would be his last year.

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they'd at least talk to Sarri and figure out who his targets are so we can go after them now but that just makes too much sense for our board.

16. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surly he gave his opinion. But we know how that worked for Conte lol

lobomojo repped this.
  17. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There are realistic targets and unrealistic targets. I think Conte's problem was he had unrealistic targets. Sandro plays for the best team in Italy. Not everyone is attainable in this saturated market today.

I really like Conte. I love Chelsea. I question the board. But Conte made his bed when he went full on Trump and blamed everything on someone else. I wasn't a big Costa fan and openly was fine with him leaving, but Morata was such a down grade and for the third straight season we had a Grand Canyonesque drop in production from the 9 spot. It kills us every year. Also, Costa for all his faults would draw defenders all the time whether in good form or poor form.

I want us to integrate youth, I also want us to recruit top talent. It can be done in tandem. We have to stop our bullshit policy of no recruitment without exits though.

Yahtzee and Dtrip77 repped this.
  18. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Morata was looking solid till he got hurt against Citeh. But I'm also willing to give people new to England a year to try.

I don't blame Conte for being frustrated as we didn't really upgrade. Part of our transfer policy for ages has been wait and then make a big offer at the last second.

Wrath repped this.
  19. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In all seriousness, Italy/Serie A is down at the moment.

20. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And Juve are still a better club than Chelsea at the moment.

21. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm indifferent. I'm fine if he stays. I hope he improves. If he doesn't the meh. There were a lot of personal problems for his as well and I won't begrudge him for feeling he wants to leave if that is the case.

I don't blame Conte for being frustrated either, but I do blame him for his targets. I also blame him for how he handled it. We get after Hazard and Courtois for saying they're frustrated but not Conte for doing the same? As far as I can see, it's a two way street and he basically gave up.

Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  22. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it safe to say Conte is staying? Would he be the first to be fired in pre-season?

23. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The club have redefined "ineptitude" over their handling of the manager position. It's like a season arc of Dream Team.

1. Conte is a better manager than Sarri.
    2. Sarri is not worth this haggle.
    3. Reports of suing Conte over Costa, if true, are petty.

First pre-season match is 14 days away.

lobomojo and limpidrock repped this.
  24. limpidrock

limpidrock Member

Mar 19, 2008
    None of this would have happened if we had paid Sarri's release clause of £7m before 31 May. Here's the cost of trying to save some of that money:

1) Disrupted pre-season
    2) We will still need to pay a substantial sum for Sarri, plus we won't be able to poach Napoli players
    3) Courtois and Hazard will leave
    4) We won't get good replacements for Courtois and Hazard. And because we act late in the transfer window, other clubs are less willing to sell. We will end up having to pay more. And signings will not have a pre-season.
    5) With no proper pre-season and a declining quality of players, we will finish outside the champions league places again while other clubs improve. The lack of another year of champions league would take a far heavier financial toll than the release fees mentioned above.

In summary: a penny-wise and pound-foolish approach.

If the past two summers have shown us anything, it is that:
    i) Marina Granovskaia is incompetent
    ii) We need a technical director

lobomojo, Dtrip77 and Blueallthru repped this.
  25. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    [​IMG]
    we r a joke of a club

limpidrock, Blueallthru and Wrath repped this.