The Chelsea Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Can we get this guy?
    [​IMG]

truefan420 and Wrath repped this.
  2. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Are there managers known for not "playing their guys" over and over?

Serious question.

They're all a bit stubborn.

Anyway, Roman has always wanted attractive, attacking football (or so we've been told over and over), but we need the players to do so.

3. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Forgot to mention that while Enrique does stick to the same players, I'm pretty sure there were some problems with rotation during his time at Barcelona. Dropped Messi, Suarez, and Neymar at very curious times if I remember correctly. Basically he had a pool of players he would rotate through but never went outside that pool. Was partially blamed for the decline of La Masia over the past few years as he wasn't giving opportunities to the youth in comparison to previous coaches too. So basically par for the course when it comes to Chelsea managers
    I think Klopp and Pep both deserve some sort of recognition in that regard. Both are not afraid to give youth players a chance (for Pep maybe a little less so at City) and will use the full squad as needed. Of course they've both got their favorites, but I am not sure what other managers would've started playing someone like Fabian Delph at LB with someone like Danilo available on the bench. Though imo, the stubbornness is much more of a problem when it comes to tactics and is where Conte has been "found out" the most. Treating every team like they're the same and using very similar tactics match after match is just asking for trouble. You don't have to completely change a system every week (there are plenty of issues there too), but you must be willing to make small adjustments as needed

Blueallthru repped this.
  4. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Which is odd - didn't Conte have the rep that he changed formations a lot with Juve, Italy? Granted, I don't think we have the players for that here.

5. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Playing with wingbacks when neither are prolific is puzzling at times. Alonso does a job and Moses/Zappa are both bang on average. We have a proper fullback in Azpi and 4 in the back should be an option but we just don't see that, even when the guys who make 3 in the back tick (Luiz, Andreas) are out. Only staying with the 3 is clearly limiting.

cokeyounut repped this.
  6. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    nope..he was pretty static with his formations with italy / juve

loved his 3-5-2

Blueallthru repped this.
  7. xamers

xamers Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Enrique was the guy who tried telling the world that Gomes was a much better option than Iniesta. He was so successful at poisoning the well that he actually got the Board to believe it. He tried pushing Rakitic further down the line, routinely playing him out of position in order to give opportunities to Rafinha, Gomes, Vidal, etc. How many times was he involved in trade rumors; 4 last year alone? Didn't give Sergi Roberto a chance at FB until presented with no other choice when everyone including Sergi saw the fit. Hell, I think they actually had to direct Enrique to play him there. I could go on.

Barca won in spite of Enrique.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  8. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No comment tapatalk_1518706590767.jpeg

cokeyounut repped this.
  9. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Is that from before the two recent loses? I saw a video that was before the loses around January 20th.

It doesn't sway my opinion on the situation. I don't want to see him axed until we see the end of the season. If we finish strong then hopefully we continue with him.

Wrath repped this.
  10. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What is the point of that post even.. none of the tension surrounding his exit has anything to do with that. He has isolated himself from the board - that is entirely his own doing. Guys been sour since June.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conte on his job security...

"After the defeat against Burnley [on the opening day of the season], people were already talking about change the coach, but that is because of this history. There's a lot of rumours about Chelsea in the press.

"But it's no problem for me. I hope that this pressure doesn't harm the players, not me, because I go looking for pressure."

cokeyounut, Wrath and Blueallthru repped this.
  12. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Lets not forget, over that same course of time we have been in transition with far too many players coming in and out to have any stability. He has been IMMENSE and is underrated IMHO.

Wrath repped this.
  13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conte insinuating Chelsea doesn't match his ambition... he's not wrong but he's certainly ready to go after this year is over.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    All this talk of changing managers reminds me of this in 'Private Eye' a couple of weeks back...

lions.jpg

:D

Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  15. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    He could do a number with the talent at Madrid, although I don't think Ronaldo will be too interested in his methods.

He's not going back to Juve, and Inter and Milan don't really spend the money he's looking for on squads.

If Madrid cashier Zidane, I think he ends up at PSG and Hazard heads there. PSG will ship Neymar to Madrid (I think it was a laundry deal anyways as Barca wouldn't move him direct to there).

16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lowe is likely headed to Madrid post World Cup. I could see conte at PSG.

17. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Loll Conte using the word “ambition”.. he is a ********ing pussy as far as tactics are concerned. Goodbye dude. No imagination whatsoever, just salty he cant spend billions

18. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    But it's incredibly obvious that we're paying the price for not upgrading the squad.

Wrath repped this.
  19. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Which Conte is partially responsible for. He made his bed with Costa. Morata isn't a like for like replacement. We let good players go without like for like replacements. Everyone is responsible here, all of them.

20. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I simply cannot blame Conte for Costa. Costa was a prick who kept wanting to leave since the time he got here - China, Atletico, wherever. Morata has had half a season and I hope will still come good. But the rest have been big let downs. Kante was the last one we bought who really moved the needle positively.

cokeyounut and Blueallthru repped this.
  21. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    cokeyounut repped this.
  22. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Hailed as a genius for the same tactics a week ago vs Barca.

Ffs.

cokeyounut repped this.
  23. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Costa is Costa and that he is a loose cannon who gets results but also had his issues.

Morota's been here for half a season? Give him time. It took Drogba time to get used to it.

That said, this squad is more on our board than Conte. And it's been a board problem for ages. Win the league, don't update the squad. Lose the league, update the squad, and repeat.

24. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The biggest frustration out of all this is that he's managed to make Victor Moses look competent.

And of course, taking one of the worst Italy sides in recent memory as far as they went in the Euros.

25. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    But here's the thing - our talent is not that good! We started Danny Drinkwater against Citeh! He was up against a midfield of Gundogan and DeBruyne. Meanwhile, City splurged on the most expensive center back of all time in the winter window because.........sure, why not?

We desperately need a good box to box player, another wide player and good right wingback (Zappacosta, lol). With those three players, could we have started with Morata and contested the midfield (say, Keita and Kante) more while using witdth? Yes. With what we have? Away at Citeh? Come on.

Conte has consistently been a phenomenal manager. He was statistically brilliant at Juve with at times mediocre squads (his first year winning the league the squad was not great). He was great with Italy. He made very good players out of cast offs last year.
    And after a poor year when we got almost none of our first choice targets in the transfer market we're ready to declare him a pussy for playing negatively at one of the best sides the Premier League has ever seen? Give me a break.

Crawleybus, Wrath and cokeyounut repped this.