The Chelsea Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    70% means little if we don't know what he started at. If that 70% raise made him the highest paid coach ever by a mile yes foolish. If it brought him up into the top 10 coaches around the world then it's fine.

2. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Remember worrying that he was coming to the team late because of the Euros?

Remember Pep and Jose arriving with much fanfare?

scirea6 repped this.
  3. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He is apparently on 6.5 mil a year.

Meh, whatever, not my money.

4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's now the 3rd highest paid coach behind Pep and Mou and jumped above Carlo, Wenger, Zidane, Klopp and Luis Enrique.

Did we need to raise naw. Can I see why we did? Yea.

5. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    For sure.

My withholding has far more to do with our track record with managers as opposed to Conte himself.

Regardless, I expect he'll stay and I'm pretty excited already for next season.

6. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truth Roman isn't known for being patient. I can hope Conte's personality is so damn infectious that Roman may finally loosen up.

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    If we give him an extension, we have to give him a salary bump. Why else would he sign one?

8. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  9. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    9.5M pounds/yr. highest paid all time for chelsea manager apparently.

truefan420 and Blueallthru repped this.
  10. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this approach better and glad it wasn't an extension. Want to reward someone, sure, up their pay for the remaining contract time and have them earn an extension.

We became to gung ho after a successful season and tossed 4-5 year contracts at people only for them to be fired the next year and collect on the remaining amount.

Yahtzee and Blueallthru repped this.
  11. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A good deal. When was the last time we had a manager last past three years. I hope he signs an extension after winning trophies this coming season.

truefan420 and Blueallthru repped this.
  12. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he will; especially if we keep spending and getting his transfer targets.

13. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well, just based on reports, we haven't been getting his top targets.

But it seems he and the board share a common understanding of not wanting to overspend on a player.

14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Lukaku was ever his top target. And as for missing out on some of them... Conte seems reasonable and thorough. I'm sure he put together a list of a few different targets and if the board is going after them and landing some of them he will be happy. I think he's ok with missing on the top CB target in a compromise to see wha Christensen has and if he doesn't like it he will be sold next summer and we will buy.

15. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Is this where we talk about Conte walking or getting canned in October?

16. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't know who will come in to be honest. Just hoping this doesn't turn out like Jose's last season.

17. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    BILD reporting that Teuchel is on Chelsea's list to replace Conte.

Matt Law says the club have no succession plan for Conte and Teuchel is not on their radar.

I'm sure Chelsea have a plan in case any manager quites/gets fired. It would be stupid not to. I just hope it wouldn't be Teuchel. He's the German Pochettino. Never won anything. Well, the Pokal Cup, but since Roman has taken over, he's never hired a manager who has never had the experience of winning a league - I guess with the odd exception of DiMatteo, who had just won the CL.

That's the thing about Chelsea parting ways with Conte - there isn't anyone out there to fill the void.

18. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  19. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Worth having this discussion. Conte mentioned he wants to go back to Italy sooner rather than later and basically hinted at next summer.

GDS in Italy is saying Milan want him (shocking). I think it's safe to assume he's likely gone this summer. Who do we look to? Tuchel? The guy from Hoffenheim? Those two may be the top prospects for the Bayern gig.

20. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Link?

I wouldn't be surprised if Conte ends up being the guy who stays here the longest than the ones who do want to stay here. That's just me speculating.

21. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #996 cokeyounut, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    I don't think the board would let Conte go easily. He's the most popular manager since Mourinho the first time around and maybe more popular or at least on par with Mourinho when he returned. You can see the extent to which the club values him in the sheer amount of marketing collateral that involves Conte compared to any former manager aside from Jose too. While the fans loved Ancelotti, he didn't get the same amount of club support that Conte has gotten imo. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it just seems the club is really relishing having this passionate, likeable manager around, and I think they'll continue to pay big in order to keep him around. I know he left Juventus very abruptly, but unless results go to complete shit, the board will do everything in its power to have him stay for at least the remainder of his contract imo

Aside from that, I've got no idea who we'd replace him with. I wouldn't be too excited with Tuchel or Nagelsmann. Speaking of Ancelotti, he may be available lol. Admittedly don't know the most about him, but I'd give Leonardo Jardim of Monaco a go

22. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    His contract is up the summer of '19 right?

Regardless, he in his last press conference was very adamant about not being here long.

Maybe I'm naive, but I wouldn't be in the least surprised if he leaves in the summer.

23. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My opinions may be a little biased because of how badly I'd like Antonio to stay as well. It'd be pricey for him to force a move in the summer though, no? Anywho, you replied before I could get my edit in. I think Jardim would be my ideal candidate to replace him at this moment of time. Don't think Tuchel would do well with the board's various levels of control and Nagelsmann is way too young to be thrown into the hot seat for me

24. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Good call on Jardim.

25. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    imagine Carlo came back as director of football with Conte the manager. that would be awesome.