The Chelsea Manager Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Vent here.

After the loss this weekend to West Ham, the upcoming week is massive for Jose and our squad. Stoke away in the Capital One Cup and Liverpool home in the league.

A change seems inevitable. Most media outlets suggest we'll have an interim manager to steady the ship and try to qualify for Europe and then go for a Pep or Simeone this summer. I don't know.

What do you guys think?

2. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hope he is fired so I don't have to listen to people bitch about it non stop every day.

Wrath repped this.
  4. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You like Zouma at right back?

Are you Jose Mourinho?

5. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What positives are there to talk about?

6. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There aren't loads of positive things to talk about. Our football is not one of them. We have youth sides and youth players doing well.

7. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with regards to the youth. We have a ton of potential unfortunately, Jose will only play them if told to. Similar to when RLC only got 45m after the last break. He filled his qoute in playing him and took him off.

8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I'm of two minds here. On the one hand, I want Jose to stay, prove everyone wrong, and actually prove himself wrong. If we can get past this period and make top 4, I see Jose staying for a long time and that would be great.We need a little stability.
    On the other hand, something really really strange is happening. The results and performances are simply terrible for this club. I can't fathom how the same group of players who won the league last year are doing so poorly. If the players are revolting against Jose (for whatever reason), I don't know if there's any other option, but to let him go. Something has got to give and either we start pulling a string of results together or Jose goes. I hope it's not the latter.

9. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It would cost 30m+ to sack Jose at this point (10m per year of the new contract extension). This buys him plenty of time. I'd hate to see what we've spent on managers the past 10 years. That would buy a few Papy's.

10. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If the results are poor what does buying out his contract matter.

I'd prefer we ride out the storm and get our shit together. You can't stand Mourinho from what I can gather so who cares about the buyout.

I want someone who will give our great youth players a chance, I'd prefer it be Jose, but that has yet to be seen. We also need the club to open up the purse strings for some additional help. Not sure that's going to happen as I truly believe we have enough talent out on loan to help in the midfield with Pasalic and Van Ginkel. Also, Solanke is the real deal. He may very well be the striker we need. We need a manager who won't shy away from some of the younger players. We can't rely on them en mass but no reason RLC can't be part of the squad with a bigger role and Dom can't be our third choice. Still think getting Stones or LaPorte and integrated Christensen in the next two years is our best bet as long as he's ready. Kalas isn't a viable option at this point and neither is Omeruo.

Wrath repped this.
  11. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think you have me confused with Yahtzee. I think when Jose manages, he's a good manager. It's all the other stuff. This is the first time he's faced adversity and he's handling it like a 3-year old. But I also think Jose has earned the right to steer the ship to safety. But he's made no effort to do that. Starting Zouma at right back isn't anything to give supporters confidence. Neither is sticking with Fabregas. Neither is signing Falcao.

I'm all for youth, but Jose doesn't seem to have the same faith in our youth as you do.

12. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i'm not nearly as invested in chelsea as most of you are. before jose came back, i'd watch epl games and, as the season went on, i'd end up developing an affinity for one team or another based on how they played and being fun to watch. i was always more of a milan fan, but we get all the epl games on tv here so i needed a team to follow. i've also always admired jose for his approach to the game and his ability to get his team to commit to him and his style of play. he is also great to listen to when things are going well so when he came back, i knew i'd be rooting for chelsea for that season.

the first season was fine. the start of last season was great. then after the holidays last year, we started seeing more of the pissing and moaning jose that no one likes. and the team was playing poorly. poor play continued through the end of the season and the moaning continued along with it. they won the league despite the poor play. a slow summer and shitty preseason results came. then the shitty start of this season. pissing and moaning continue. it's just exhausting.

at this point, he just needs to shut up. don't give interviews before matches. don't give them after matches. don't say anything to the boy sacking up your groceries. just shut up. go to the office and do your work but i don't want to hear anything from him. we know he knows how to coach, and i believe he has the ability to get this team through this period. every time he opens his mouth though, i feel like he paints himself into a corner a little bit more. it's like his whining gets him to the point where he can't make the changes that need to be made because then it will show that his whining was wrong. so if he'd just stop talking and do his work, he could get the team to come out of this, but if he does stop talking, the perception would be that he was wrong about the referees and whatever else. suck it up, and let the people think you were wrong if that's what it takes, but he's got to let this bs go and focus on the coaching.

13. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sorry about that.

I mostly don't care about the other stuff. The English media, literally almost all of them want to sensationalize everything and with Jose he's an easy target. They hated when he wasn't here and now that hate him. The Eva stuff is meh to me. He was in the wrong no doubt, but it was an employment tiff. It happens all the time at the work place. Because Eva is hot it was a big deal. No one gave two shits about the other physio who is back on the sidelines. Jose's job is managing a match the physio's and doctor's jobs are player health and safety. I get why he was pissed. I get why they went onto the pitch. The media will piss and moan about him and us because it sells. No point caring because it won't help us one iota.

Jose has a little say in transfer policy but not as much as most think. Emanelo (sp?) and the Russian lady have more pull. Our summer was terrible, that's not all his fault and I put more on the club than he. Loaning players is a two way street. We want youth players to be here but not all youth players want to be fourth choice. Some would rather go on loan and play or have a chance to. Vitesse have been a pleasant surprise in the Eredivsie and Baker and Solanke have been a massive part of that. Bamford can't get a match for Palace. He doesn't solve our issues in defense and midfield and our general lack of any type of discipline. Christensen doesn't help our defensive frailties and neither does Kalas or Omeruo. We need an elite centerback and preferably someone who young and can still develop.

Our core has essentially disintegrated in less than a years time. JT and Bane have become essentially useless. Fabergas has become a tractor. Matic is a fecking mess. Hazard ate all the pies and is still eating all the pies. He was the only player that kept us going for long stretches second half of last season. Oscar is once again an enigma. Willian is all of a sudden our best player. Costa is more interested in a fight than getting a goal. Pedro is Pedro. So I'm not sure what the solution is but we struggle keeping 11 on the pitch right now and that is killing us too.

I'll focus on the youth. I try to be positive and all this negativity is fecking annoying.

cokeyounut, m_vandersee and Wrath repped this.
  14. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    So we want Jose to be like Marshawn Lynch during interviews? :)

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  15. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ^that would be awesome.

16. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Unfortunately he can't. He has press obligations. The media want a reaction and response. He wants to insulate the issues within our squad. He has to open his mouth, but he should learn to keep it to canned responses and as short as possible. The media will tire quickly.

17. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    But I think you have to care about the "other" stuff because it has an impact on the real stuff.

1. Because Jose tried to access a ref's room at half time, which he knew was off-limits and he would receive a red for, we were managerless for 45 minutes. That's acting like a baby. Especially since the calls made on the pitch were, well, correct. That is a direct impact on our team with lasting aftereffects.

2. The Eva thing. Having an employment tiff behind closed doors is one thing. Harpooning the physio department in front of a live audience and then again in a post match press conference is quite another. All because your star player is feigning injury on the pitch. In the first game of the season. One that we weren't even losing. Uneccessary by the manager to draw attention like that. No other manger does, ever did, or ever will do that....because it's stupid to do what Jose did.

3. Transfers. For Jose to go out in public about Stones and eventually NOT get him...well, that's a huge blow to a guy who is rarely told no...at least told "no" on Jose's terms. How about shut the ******** up about transfers until they're done? More uneeded attention.

I agree the media is terrible, but Jose is making life too easy for them. In addition to this, Jose is making horrible choices on the pitch which are well documented.

18. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    seriously, jose feeds the frenzy when there is no need.

the second matic yellow was relatively soft, and honeslty, we've seen PLENTY of calls like that not given yellow because the ref knows it's second yellow. a lot of times they give players the benefit of the doubt, right now, chelsea is not going to get the benefit of the doubt. that's what we've seen. and usually the team is smart enough and good enough to play around that. you can't really blame the refs, if they were under constant attack from a particular manager (even if it is sometimes warranted) it's less likely they are going to be lenient or given any benefit. not saying matic shouldn't have been sent off, it's two yellow card offenses. but it's not the worst example of one team getting the hardline book applied to them while others sometimes aren't.

19. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Honestly, I don't care about the off the pitch stuff. The ref situation is deplorable and can have an effect on the match, the other stuff is meh.

20. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    I'll just drop this Dom Fifield article here. http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/oct/26/jose-mourinho-crossroads-chelsea-slump-in-form

The last sentence in the below is key.
    "Yes, there is inconsistency among the officialdom. That explains how West Ham could commit 10 fouls and Chelsea 12 on Saturday, and yet the respective card counts from Jon Moss for the teams were one and seven....His gripes over Arsène Wenger escaping punishment for an apparent shove in last season’s derby against Arsenal, or for the Frenchman’s unsanctioned “weak and naive” critique of Mike Dean’s display this time round, are far more justified and the FA’s failure to impose proper punishment on Wenger clearly still eats away at Mourinho. But clinging on to a sense of injustice is having a detrimental effect on Chelsea."

The start of today's Football Weekly podcast is also worth listening to. At the end of the day, we aren't creating any chances. Everything is down to set pieces and own goals.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  21. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe people actually want him fired.

I can't believe this thread really exists.

Jose Mourinho bleeds Chelsea. There are no other managers in the world who are even available right now or come remotely close to matching Jose's success. Carlo Ancelotti Part II? Guus Hiddink Part II? No thanks.

Last year everyone thought Jose was a managerial genius. He picked up two players in Fabregas and Costa who played out of their minds from the start of the season, turned Hazard into a more complete player who could actually track back, and won the title by a country mile's distance. I don't buy this narrative that we ever played "poorly" in the second half of the season -- we played defensively, sure. Because that's Jose's hallmark: get to the top of the table and defend it for your lives.

Cesc and Costa are now playing like total dogshit, and even our best player is a shadow of himself. I don't see a thread about selling Costa or Fabregas or Hazard, and they are as much to blame for our slump as Mourinho (Hazard was almost directly responsible for the first goal against West Ham). I'll grant you Jose's insistence on continuously starting Cesc is frustrating, but at least against West Ham he was pulled at half-time.

I don't really care about the off the field crap. If Jose wants to shoot his mouth off about referees, fine. He'll get fined, but it's his money, right? If he thinks there's value in keeping the drama revolving around him rather than around Hazard and the players, let him. I really don't care. All I care about is what happens on match day.

I hope to fucking god there isn't actually any serious consideration by Roman to sack him. Let's go back to reactionary firing of managers every year if they're not performing up to par, right? Fuck. That. Shit.

cokeyounut, m_vandersee, eriol and 4 others repped this.
  22. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    1. This isn't a "Fire Jose" thread. It seemed like a lot of people wanted to talk about our manager and his choices on and off the pitch in other threads. No one asked him to be fired here (well, maybe Yahtzee).

2. Personally, I think he has earned the right to turn this ship around. But remember it's he who steered it this way in the first place. His actions and decisions have had a direct impact to our place in the table.

3. In modern football, managers get fired. A lot.

23. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the blame factor. Manager puts out a team that plays like sh1t, manager gets blamed. If a player is playing like sh1t and continues to be played, simply the manager is to be blamed. Doesnt matter who that manger is.

I and surly others too hope he can turn it around but, the club always comes first.

24. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose did not "steer" us this way by himself. Again, this is as much on the players as it is on him. Jose couldn't have predicted any better than we could that John Terry would go from the juggernaut he was last year to completely shitting the bed against City.

And the fact that managers get fired a lot these days is one of the shittiest things about modern football, and we were the biggest culprits for the better part of a decade. I don't want to return to that shit.

The biggest mistake I think Jose has made was not dipping more into the transfer market over the summer. After winning the Premier League we suddenly had the kind of leverage to attract players like Pogba, Griezmann, Reus, Martial, Douglas Costa, et al. I can't blame Mourinho for thinking, "Well I just won the EPL with this squad, why change it?" But at the same time I think we missed the boat on going from a Premier League championship team to a Champions League winning team a la Barca, Real, Bayern.

I don't care if we finish 10th place this year. If it were up to me, Jose stays for the next 10 years.

Wrath repped this.
  25. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nah.

Oh, and for a guy who bleeds Chelsea he sure is ready to throw our reputation down the ********ing drain and talk himself into not even being able to manage our games.