Review: The case for Kenny Cooper

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by EL MONO MARIO, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't think there's much question that both of these guys are first-tier MLS players. I just don't think that's the operative question.

2. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Last night's penalty against Vancouver gives Cooper 10 goals in 12 games.

4. 4mybroRRT

4mybroRRT Member

Apr 10, 2001
    N. VA - DCU-land
    What was the game where Wondo was a foot from the goal line about to score his first goal and the (belongs in MLS-only) scrub kicked it over he crossbar?!!

I sh!t you not!

I knew then this was the Jason kreis of this era!

Who would you take if you being castrated was the penalty for not scoring in a WCQ'S...Kreis, Wondo-ful, or Twellman?!

The three MLS kings of goals, but absolute pinwheels at the International level.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  5. Jeddy Rasp

Jeddy Rasp Member

Feb 10, 2007
    out to lunch
    Now tied with Wondo for the MLS lead in goals. All cooper has to do is keep on scoring. Be tough for Klinsi to keep ignoring him if he ends up with 25 goals or so.

6. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenny is 3rd on the depth chart as a target man. I'd bet on it. He's behind Altidore and Boyd (who's never played a minute above the 4th level of German football. He deserves as much consideration as any forward in MLS. Having said that, being behind Boyd at this point speaks volumes.

IMO, Kenny is really going to have to embrace the target role for Red Bull (100%) and he's going to have to excell. If he can fashion himself as a Bobby Zamora type player and still keep up the goal scoring, he should get a call. If not, he's going to be watching the USMNT on TV like the rest of us.

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Cooper finishes the regular season with 18 goals, second place overall behind Wondolowski.

morange92 repped this.
  8. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for a guy who has been extremely productive this year, he really hasn't been talked about much recently. I would love to see him get called up to next summer's gold cup

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cooper - Wondo as the starting strikers for the 2013 Gold cup?

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Hopefully he makes the Gold Cup squad and other B team matches.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup.

In fact, of the top 10 goalscoeres in MLS in 2012..............6 are USMNT eligible.

1) Wondolowski
    2) Cooper
    3) Saborio
    4) Keane
    5) Henry
    6) Johnson
    7) Montero
    8) Gordon
    9) Pontius
    10) Bruin

12. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :sick:

13. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i can see by your face your enthusiastic about that combo...

i mean it could be worse, at least they are productive and they look the part of two complementary players (even if cooper doesn't always necceasarily play like a big striker)

14. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Early in the season, there was a lot of talk about Cooper finally playing like a target striker, and there was a lot to show for it. It dialed down a little, but if the guy has truly learned to play the role, then he should be given the call, either in January, or the Gold Cup next year.

As far as a Wondo-Cooper partnership, I worry a tad about the lack of pace in that lineup. If we're dealing with a defense like Guatemala that will sit deep and not give any space in behind anyways, then I can see those two tearing it up with the appropriate service, especially if we have Chris Pontius and Graham Zusi offering it. If we've got teams like Honduras or Mexico that press very high up the pitch, we need guys like Johnson running the channels and looking to exploit the space in behind.

Stan Collins and Dignan repped this.
  15. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'd rather keep giving EJ chances. He's just too slow to use against anyone meaningful.

16. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    vs. Panama in group stage of Gold Cup '11

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Bummer about the missed PK on the 2nd attempt, but he did well to win it. Also showed some good link-up play with Henry and McCarty in attack.

18. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This, for the most part. I mean, if he truly becomes a target and starts to really take after guys like Ching and McBride, I would play him. However, other than that, he's way too much of a winger/poacher in his head.

19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a person of his size Cooper plays small.

20. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    wondo and cooper are both out of the playoffs...

produce when it counts

21. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah from what I've heard one of his flaws is he's never learned how to effectively utilize his size. I think he's looked pretty good this year though doing it, but this has been by far his best season of his career.

in general i would actually like to see cooper called up.

22. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well if you look at him like a big man with skills then you will be disappointed. However,if you look at him as a skill player with a big body then you'll be pleased. He's not the only skill player with size. Gullit and Hulk come to mind.

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Gullit and Hulk come to whose mind?

24. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What are you saying? That they're not skilled or they're not big?

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm saying those two don't come to (my) mind when I think about Kenny Cooper. Gullit's career ended long ago, but he was much more fluid; and Hulk is very different in body-type and skill-level. Both are a big stretch, imo, but I guess all comparisons are a matter of degree.