The California Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Knave, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    My state is on fire again.

ca3cd01faf78e2ea844d7b73b62655b15cdbb26fc2e709f8200a8f6cd0d9cb58.jpg

The town of Paradise (population 27,000) in Butte County is apparently pretty much gone. Thousands of structures burned in less than a day. It's a virtual certainty that many are dead.

And in Southern California another fire is raging through Ventura and Los Angeles counties on the way to Malibu, consuming Wynalda's home along the way:

sitruc repped this.
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Initially I was confused yesterday and thought news reports about Thousand Oaks were displaying the wrong graphics. Then I realized the state is on fire. I didn't know about Wynalda. I saw Kardashian's evacuated as well as Allysa Milano. The videos are horrible.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    The obvious question...where Harkes at? :cautious:

Q*bert Jones III, roby and Smurfquake repped this.
  5. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is trivial compared to where the fires actually are, but pretty much the entire Bay Area is under "unhealthy" or worse air quality. Everything smells like smoke since last night, and not in a good way, like a barbecue, but a shitty way, like people's homes are on fire somewhere in the distance. My kid's school is on "shelter in place" where they don't let them go outside for recess or lunch. Schools further north got closed because the air quality was "hazardous" instead of just "unhealthy".

luftmensch and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man hopefully that school bus was empty.

7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Two weeks ago we were camping near Bandon Oregon and got chatting to a Cal couple. They'd just been up to our town Florence, OR.
    They said they were nervous about the fire situation where then lived. We gave them our number and encouraged them to call next time there. We haven't heard from them but we've just seen that every home in their town Paradise has been destroyed.

8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a family friend - friends of my parents - who retired to Paradise a couple of decades ago. They'd be in their 80s now. I don't know if they are still there (or, were still there up until this week) but it's the kind of place that appeals to active retired folks - open space, horses, lower cost of living compared to the big cities, etc.

9. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    California is my home state and it breaks my heart to see this happen over and over again.

10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    The figures I heard was 700,000 acres in one day across the state? That can't be right, can it?

California just broke their record earlier this year in the Mendocino Complex Fire which was one fire system that burned 459,000 acres.

I think what we're seeing here is the point of no return. It's not like anybody is addressing population growth and all the environmental strains humans are creating. If you look forward, we may have to get used to California becoming a non arboreal state by the end of this century. Something resembling Arizona. Bottom line is that most of those tree species can't function with these conditions. Long term, you can probably kiss the agriculture sector goodbye and you better make a plan to provide water for that massive population.

This is not so different from the bleak future facing low lying coastal areas in the Southeast and the Gulf.

This is what happens when large swaths of the world's voters and leaders don't care about the environment. We get the world we deserve.

11. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that can't be right. The "Camp Fire" (don't like the name, sounds too much like a boy scout cookout) is at 90000 acres total, and the one in Southern CA is at 35000 acres total, and both of them started yesterday. Maybe 70K acres today, instead of 700K?

I can't argue with the rest of your post though. There's not enough water for the people who live here, and everything else that needs water, so something's going to have to go.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Watch until the end:

Ismitje, xtomx and roadkit repped this.
  13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Mexicans, probably.

- CA rednecks

14. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine if there was some sort of advanced technology that could make seawater drinkable. Wouldn't that be amazing?

Dr. Wankler and luftmensch repped this.
  15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Empathy in bunches

16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    The man is so smart. A Stable Genious. He has the answer for everything.
    We should log off the whole state. Japan would buy the timber and the State would make a yuge profit.

Rain and mud slides. Pfft a small price to pay.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I saw this video under the first tweet in your original post. I drove through a forest fire on I-81 near Roanoke, Virginia years ago (I believe it was started by a backfiring ATV). I had no idea there was a fire ahead and it jumped from a treeline west of the highway (I could see the "line" after I got through the fire) to the highway so there was no time to close the highway. There was fire and heavy smoke on both sides of the road, in the median and some of the road. I was scared and never gripped the steering wheel so tight. It didn't come close to anything in any of the videos I have seen from California. I definitely had a much greater appreciation for fire after that. Also, although it felt like the drive through Hell was hours long, it was probably well under a half of a mile. Whenever I make the trip down 81 I still look out for the area where the fire was. Incredibly, it's barely noticeable since much of the area was simply cleared during and after the fire and new growth hasn't really been allowed. The fires barely registered in media back then. After driving through it, I was shocked it wasn't even the lead on Roanoke news when they shutdown 81 as a result. I remember searching for reports because people thought I made the entire thing up.

1061370261897801728 is not a valid tweet id

Dolemite and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good points, Brian Rice, but do you think the President and his fans care about facts?

Dolemite and sitruc repped this.
  19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Earlier this year I was down in Sacramento for the day, and there was a small brush fire that had been sparked in farmland just outside town. I drove past it on my way to do a quick errand. It was pretty far away from the road, and it looked like the whole fire department was on the scene. I did my quick errand and I drove back out the same way 10 minutes later. In those 10 minutes I can't understand why they didn't close that road, because I couldn't believe what I drove into. The flames were already on the side of the road, and then, before I knew it, the smoke was so thick I literally could not see beyond the windshield. I am used to driving in whiteout snow with "zero" visibility. This was a completely different order of zero visibility. It's a good thing I knew that road was ram-rod straight, because I was driving completely blind, and I could feel the heat from the flames on the other side of the road. Then the wind shifted slightly, it cleared, and I got the fcuk out of there. I don't think it lasted for more than 30 seconds, but it felt like an eternity.

To drive out through the conditions that some of these people drove through -- it's the withering stuff of nightmares.

fatbastard, luftmensch and sitruc repped this.
  20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Visiting San Fran and the smoke and air quality are so poor that you can't even see the SF skyline from the Emeryville side. The views from the summit of Mount Diablo are a blur. Took the Alcatraz tour and the visibility was so bad that the city looked like it was is a fog, and this from a mile and a quarter away. The smoke is so thick that dusk seems like midnight. It seems like the entire state is on fire.

22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Idiot gets something completely wrong. Film at 11.

sitruc and Dyvel repped this.
  23. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    can see some blue sky here in Walnut Creek for the first time in a couple days. this is all so heartbreaking

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Walking our dog on the beach today and got chatting with a family and their dog. They're out of Paradise staying with family and have no idea if they still have a home to go back to. Hair raising drive to get out they seemed shell shocked. Your heart just goes out.

fatbastard and sitruc repped this.