The Bruins, UCLA 2019

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by McSkillz, Jun 26, 2019.

1. OGSoccerCoach

OGSoccerCoach Member

May 11, 2017
    UCLA is one of 5 teams that can win a national title this season, and have been in that group since the beginning of the season.

Your 2019 National Champion will be Stanford, UCLA, UNC, USC or FSU - I’m really going out on a limb here... Everyone else is a level behind.

The PAC 12 should have 3 of the 4 #1 seeds with UNC the 4th - assuming the season plays out as it should. But we all know that the NCAA won’t let that happen.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  2. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think FSU is a level behind those you mentioned as of now.

3. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    UVA may not win, but they are not a level behind.

4. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOOOOOOooooooooo BRUINS

UCLA 0-1 SANTA CLARA AT HALF :mad::(:(

5. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, Teagan Micah gives me a heart attack, I don't know what's going through her head half of the time. Maybe time to develop another keeper for the Bruins. :mad::mad::mad:

6. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Piece of crap ref, how many handballs is he going to ignore?

7. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ref is clearly playing for Santa Clara so this match doesn't count. Santa Clara THUGroncos need all the luck they can get.

8. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santa Clara 2-0 UCLA, first loss of the season for UCLA but this one was really frustrating. They looked so sluggish and tired, they weren't the team that they should be. This by far has to be one of the worst matches I've ever seen UCLA play and I don't really want to talk about any of them or really see them for a few weeks. I'm officially angry at them and refuse to watch them for 2 weeks. :mad::mad::mad:

9. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, from what's been said here, they've been really leaning on their starters. Maybe there was a reason they were so sluggish.

10. Time&Space

Time&Space Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Imagine Santa Clara who had an East Coast trip to recover from. UCLA got outplayed in almost every way. Santa Clara wasn't as bad as their record, and UCLA isn't as good as theirs either.

Kurt Kline and goaleemama repped this.
  11. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I must say that although they didn't get results in their North Carolina road trip, Santa Clara is a very good team. When playing 12th ranked Duke it could have gone either way. SC got off to a slow start but got stronger throughout the game and looked to be dominating in the last 20 minutes of regulation. SC was taking it to Duke in the OT and the Dookies got one good chance before the CS defense got back and organized and it was all over.

I didn't see the Wake forest game, but it sounded as though the same thing happened there too. SC getting off to a slow start and Wake scoring and then desperately holding off SC's dominance to win the game.

So it looks to me that SC has solved their slow start issues and now are ready to compete at the level of their considerable talent. (And UCLA had a bad day?)

12. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What UCLA misjudged is playing an 0-3 team that lost to top 25 teams in all 3. I watched all or most of every one of those games and SC had an argument to win them all. UCLA went into that game thinking it was a walkthrough and got it handed to them. It seems to happen once every year and then they wake up. They will be in San Jose in December

derbarkasmann and Crazyhorse repped this.
  13. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCLA must of been extra motivated against FSU, or FSU is average this season. They looked the the best team in the country in that game.

14. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    players form ebbs and flows this early, not to mention the impact of travel. Both are elite teams

socalsoccer23 and Crazyhorse repped this.
  15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santa Clara is very well coached. It matters. They're a mid-major team, and they still can compete at the highest level. There are very vew coaches that can accomplish that.

derbarkasmann and hykos1045 repped this.
  16. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say this, but Santa Clara got jobbed on an offside at Duke last week. They're a tremendous side, give them some credit in the defeat. You don't have to worry about this result keeping UCLA out of the 1 seed discussion. The refs didn't singleHANDedly keep UCLA off the board.

17. ping

ping Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I thought the ref was poor for both teams. The first minutes (2:22) of the first half the SC midfielder Gonzales was tackled from behind which prevented a clear 3 v 1 scoring opportunity. The ref called the foul and the announcer said Marley Canales got a "talking to." She should have received a yellow card. It was a great tactical foul but a clear yellow card offense. The player understood what was about to happen and stopped it(great soccer IQ) but the ref only did 1/2 of his job on that one.

Same can be said of the early PK call. How is the UCLA defender(#5 McCullough) not cautioned with the PK at 3:43 when she gambled and recklessly took out the SC player from behind. She had cover for sure so no red but easily a yellow, but not from this ref.

7:41 First half- UCLA Sanchez got wrecked at midfield and the ref basically says play on, the crowd moans and rightfully so. Game is going downhill and the ref doesn't even recognize it.

Could go on with other examples but overall this ref had a bad evening.

Even with that said, I thought SC played solidly and they definitely capitalized on some of their chances. They didn't sit back and let UCLA knock the ball around. They pressed with 5 early in the game and high up the pitch (9:13) and had a 3v2 as a result of picking the ball off UCLA's pivot. UCLA looked flat to me at that point in the game. Their backs were under pressure and often passed the ball to SC(10:06).

If SC made that early PK the score would have been 3 to nil. If Doyle scores early (5:45 first half) they add another. Sometimes the game is cruel but I thought this result was fair. SC had solid scoring chances. I thought they deserved to win.

18. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't read too much into that loss. As has been noted, Santa Clara is a very good team this year that had a horrible start to the season. They were the best 1-3 team in the universe, should have been at least 3-1 if not 4-0 or 3-0-1. They were not going to go 1-4 and I don't think it mattered who was next, they had a massive amount of frustration to take out on whoever was next and next just happened to be the Bruins. They came out on fire and never let up.

I'm a Santa Clara grad (1968) so of course I enjoyed watching the stream. And I'm not familiar with the Bruins, so I don't know if they were playing well or not. But they looked pretty awesome to me, especially the last 20 minutes. I think Santa Clara is ALMOST as good as the Bruins, not quite but reasonably close, and it was just the wrong night for UCLA or anybody else to be their opponent.

19. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was no close-up, but it did look like a handball.

USC had one at Colorado last year that everybody including my grandmother who has been dead and buried in Moss Landing, California since 1971, saw. No call. Colorado's penalty kicker has never missed one in four years, and since the game ended 1-0 USC, a correct call would likely have tied the game and put the Buffaloes into the playoffs. Yes, it is frustrating.

McSkillz repped this.
  20. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    There is quite a bit of bad refereeing in college soccer, I'm sorry to say. There are some good refs, to be sure, but also quite a few that don't get calls right. Not an easy sport to officiate, to be sure, but some refs have to be better.

ping repped this.
  21. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a discussion of refereeing in one particular game, check out the Colorado and FSU (Florida State) threads or whatever they're called. FSU is a better team, but last night the Buffaloes got one stolen from them.

22. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    You mentioned a no call on a possible/probably handball. I find in college soccer that the opposite is more often the case--that there are way too many phantom or questionable PKs calls that decide games. Refs shouldn't call penalties in the box unless it is clear and unquestionable, IMO. Better not to blow the whistle on a borderline call and play on then make a dubious call that decides a game. I'm not referring to this handball call you mention, just generally. Saw a PK call last night in South Carolina-Notre Dame game in which a South Carolina player with the ball either in or near the box, with back to goal, turned and kicked the ball, which hit the arm of a Notre Player in the box. The player's arm was straight down at her side; she did not move her arm when the ball was kicked, as I think she was caught unaware by the turn and kick. Ref calls a handball, SC scores a goal. I say BS call.

23. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado at Florida State last night.

24. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this thread dying? Why? I hope it's just taking a nap. You have an awesome team this year. Looks like I'll be there when the Buffs play the Bruins October 10.

25. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not dead, just UCLA was in Hawaii for a few weeks before conference matches and they weren't able to broadcast any of their matches.

I have to pick and choose my games this year but I should be at most of the home games.