The Bruce Arena Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by GiallorossiYank, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    JK was right CP needs to play centrally. Bruce wants MB at DM. Does Bruce force CP wide, a la Dempsey/Donovan in 2010 from Bob, even though they should not have been or does he find a way to control midfield and keep CP attacking centrally?

Bruce will be judged on his ability to integrate a team of mismatches. Many on these boards speak about 'depth' in the squad and I think that is ridiculous. Our good players are basically where they were in 1998, and the problem is they sometimes play the same positions or not the positions we need.

Solution is to either hamfist them into a position that doesnt work for them or pick a lower caliber player at a position that works?

If we go 4-2-3-1 you have Dempsey playing left mid or push CP out wide. If you play a 4-3-2-1, you overcook the midfield with defensive players and we lose what little attack we have. If you go 4-4-2 you likely have to play either dempsey in midfield for which he doesnt have the wheels or CP at striker or winger where he can't attack properly. 4-1-4-1 puts too much pressure on an overmatched Bradley DM.

Bruce has some big decisions to make with this squad and Tim Ream as an emergency replacement in the back 4 should not be happening at this point.

And although most didn't acknowledge it, not having Lletget in Panama was a huge problem. He is far more fearless and useful than Bedoya or Zusi.

juveeer repped this.
  2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy to announce that Yedlin is now 5X the player he was yesterday as NU just got promoted to the 1st division.

TxEx, Sebsasour, juveeer and 7 others repped this.
  3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like a 3-4-3 or 3-4-2-1 with our current pool.

Bruce doesn't seem the type with the acumen to employ it though.

4. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    After about 20 games with good numbers in first division, come back to me.

5. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    It's possible he doesn't get a lot of time with Newcastle next year, but he does already have 24 EPL appearances (23 with Sunderland, 1 with Tottenham).

6. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Good for him, I'll wait for his numbers

7. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Frankly, it would not surprise me if Newcastle looks to upgrade on defense. I think Yedlin will still find some playing time though. I certainly hope he does.

Susaeta repped this.
  8. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    It will be good for him after taking a year off

9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    :rolleyes:

10. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but remember Benitez was pretty upset in January when NUFC owner Ashley refused to bring reinforcements. In terms of priorities, my guess is they need more help at striker and especially in creativity from the midfield.

11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I think Yedlin is a Rafa lock. Why? Yedlin is fast, fearless, and from what I can tell, he can handle the big moment and more importantly make an impact in big moments.

It's the day to day grind that Yedlin seems to have learned in the championship. The first touch, keep formation, press, defend, make runs...all at the right time.

You guys might not remember Rafa's Liverpool squad, but they were outstanding in the CL some matches because they could press, attack and strangle a match with style. I think you need Yedlin to accomplish these things. He's a lock.

bsky22 repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think he'll be a decent backup. Anita is the one that will probably be out. But I do expect them to upgrade the defense --either that, or hang for dear life not to return to the Championship the season after.

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're underselling how much he's in their plans, that he projects to improve significantly, and he has recently (he has a different list of attributes each year it seems). They didn't pay 5-6 million for a sort of raw 22-23 4th yr pro fb only to help them make the promotion to the Premier League and then sell or bench him. On paper he didn't even seem the type of player who would have been super useful this year in a promotion battle. Coming in he was a speedster who had improved his tactical awareness but was not deft on the ball or in terms of vision. I would expect that his role remains the same next year or even increases, on a team who realistically aspires to be mid-table in the Premier League. That actually seems about a perfect fit for what he's bringing to the table right now. He can play both ways. Be patient because they might originally flirt early in the season with a viable alternative who maybe is more precise in delusional hope of vying for the title/CL, but once Newcastle settle in to what they're going to be, which is sub-elite in the EPL, I think this will be Yedlin's best season yet because he'll be getting up and down that field.

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Bruce has zero problem going with that formation. The real problem is you expend Cameron on the back line on the right, and it again puts so much pressure on Bradley to defend that you will give up goals left and right.

15. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    He HAS used 3 in the back before with the Nats, but I haven't seen any indications he plans to do so now.

I have been calling for this type of change for a while. When you look at our personnel objectively, those systems (even a 3-5-2) seem to fit it better than any 4 in the back system. However, whenever Klinsi tried it the team didn't seem to take to it very well.

I would like to see Bruce give it a shot this summer and see what we can do with it.

16. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Is NUFC going to spend some money now?

I have my doubts, but if Rafa sticks around I think he will demand it.

17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now Omar Gonzalez looks like a lock starter. Brooks has injury issues yet again. Thoughts?

I don't like our chances in 2018 too be honest. I see a 3 and out. Pulisic and Wood are major upgrades, as is a better Yedlin but the central midfield too poor. I don't see Howard's heroics saving us again. Flat 4-4-2 to fit Dempsey but leaves the midfield outmatched, especially with Bradley still in there.

juveeer repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    A lot depends on the draw. I hope we don't get any Eastern Euro in our group.

19. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    We are liable to get 2 Euros and and African or SA team.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We have a terrible record against Slavic teams, and playing in Mother Russia they're going to be overclocked. I frankly would prefer to get a "traditional power" slotted in Pot 4 over a team like Slovakia or Poland as our second Euro.

Although I'd be fine with Russia itself being the head of the group. The added pressure of being locals may crush them.

21. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    I don't know about that. Match officials for Russia's games could be waking up with horse heads in their beds. :eek:

22. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't even know how many Slavic countries will be in the WC. UEFA have 5 more matches to play in first round qualifying...

Group A
    Bulgaria(9pts) - in 3rd behind Sweden(11pts) & France(13pts)
    Belarus(2pts) - in 5th

Group C
    Cech Republic(8pts) - in 3rd behind N. Ireland(10pts) & Germany(15pts)

Group D
    Serbia(11pts) - in first with GD, Rep of Ireland(11pts). Wales & Austria both have 7pts each

Group E
    Poland(13pts) & Montenegro(7pts) - in first & second in front of Denmark(7pts)

Group F
    Slovenia(8pts) & Slovakia(9pts) - behind England(13pts)

Group G
    Macedonia(3pts) - in 5th

Group H
    B&H(10pts) - in 3rd behind Belgium(13pts) and Greece(11pts)

Group I
    Croatia(13pts) - in 1rst in front of Iceland(10pts)
    Ukraine(8pts) - in 3rd behind Iceland(10pts)

Besides Russia it looks like Croatia, Poland & Serbia are the 3 Slavic countries that are in a good position in their groups... all 3 are in first in their groups. Poland is the only team in a great position. The other two are in battles with 2nd place teams.

These teams have a chance, but also have a lot of ground to make up:
    Bulgaria - have a lot of work to do
    Cech Republic - can still place 2nd (slim to no chance for 1rst)
    Slovenia & Slovakia - it looks like only one of these teams could advance to 2nd place with England on 13pts
    B&H - have a lot of work to do in 3rd
    Ukraine - have a lot of work to do in 3rd

2 of them have slim to no chance to qualify: Macedonia & Belarus

Mr Martin, deuteronomy and Suyuntuy repped this.
  23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Good analysis, thank you. Although I know Croats who dislike being called Slavic, whatever the linguistic/DNA evidence.

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bulgaria won't be making the WC, unfortunately. Just not good enough.

On another note, I now place Agudelo above Morris on the striker depth chart. I've been incredibly unimpressed with Morris' development. His left foot is a severe problem in the run of play. Refuses to use it to the point it cuts off half the field and half his options in possession and he'll literally repeatedly turn back over his left should and play it backwards with his right in situations where any decent attacker attacks the end line and tries to create something. His assist to Clint was actually due to being so unconfident in his left that he was unmarked in the box and didn't even look at goal.

Agudelo however not only has more skill but he's finally starting to put it together and score regularly. Needs to lose about 10 lbs though. Looks a little heavy.

25. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but since they are 2 points behind 2nd, they still have a chance.