The Bruce Arena Coaching Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by GiallorossiYank, Nov 22, 2016.

1. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Announced today. Lets get back in the win column and head to Russia!!!

Also, I'm glad I read this:

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3rd place in hex is a job well done given what hes up against. Then we can focus on more important matters

3. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Re-post:

Historically we are currently -3 points based on our home loss to Mexico, we always lose at Costa Rica. Lets not forget we started last cycle with a loss at Honduras!

Last cycle we won the Hex with 22 points while Mexico qualified to the playoff with 11. There are 24 points left on the table so if we get 19 we will have done as well as last cycle.

The only points we dropped last cycle were losses at Honduras and at Costa Rica. We had a tie at Mexico.

Team
    MatchesWinLossTieGFGAGDPoints
    USA* 10 7 2 115 8 +7 22
    Costa Rica* 10 5 2 3 13 7 +6 18
    Honduras* 10 4 3 3 13 12 +1 15
    Mexico** 10 2 3 5 7 9 -2 11
    Panama 10 1 4 5 10 14 -4 8
    Jamaica 10 0 5 5 5 13 -8 5

The minimum expectation (win at home and tie on the road) for Arena is 16 points from the 8 matches that he has on his plate for the rest of the Hex.

juveeer repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    seriously he's okay for the time being but once we leave the WC in Russia I hope we get a quality manager. A real top dawg. USSF need to open the purse and chase 1 of the top managers in the world

5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GULATI: "We have an agreement with Bruce through the World Cup, with various contingencies that all contracts have."

ARENA: "In terms of the roster, I don't see too many changes from the last few camps."

Some posters won't like that statement!

juveeer repped this.
  6. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I'm kind of tired of the "exotic foreign manager" experiment. Nor do I trust Sunil to figure out who that might be in the first place. Even if you get one who has proven successful at the club level, there is no guarantee that he won't crap the bed at the NT level like SGE with England or Fabio Capello with Russia.

Craig P, BassNFool, John McGuirk and 4 others repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    good point. But Arena had his chance. back when we had lesser talent and thus had to gel with his form of the game. Not hating on it, just acknowledging that we moved on.

Plus a quality known manager is good for the program pushing forward. If nothing else JK was good for PR

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.sportingkc.com/post/2016...re-going-give-those-types-players-opportunity

and all but a few will LOVE that statement. Klinsmann is getting phased out, everything he has done. Enjoy it. We will

9. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Well I agree with your statement above. As long as Arena isn't a long-term solution, I'm fine with that. I don't really care where the next manager after that comes from, but the exorbitantly expensive foreign solution doesn't appeal to me personally all that much. There are managers kicking around in foreign leagues who are young and hungry and know what they're doing, but haven't yet reached superstar status. That would be an intriguing option I would think, but it would require a lot of research by Sunil or whoever is (hopefully) advising him. Given whom we heard were the options over the past year or so I doubt that option is even on the radar though.

10. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how giddy Bruce sounds in his interviews today. It is clear that he really cares about the job and the future of soccer in this country.

Really excited to see what he has in store!

deuteronomy and The X Factor repped this.
  11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cleansheetbsc repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    personally i'd choose Jozy's former manager at AZ- G. Verbeek. Or EDDIE Howe at Bournemouth (though probably impossible as he's eventually groomed for a bigger PL club or the England job).

Or hell bring on boozy Harry Redknapp for a laugh.

Though I am curious why we haven't had a Mexican manager yet.

Mattbro repped this.
  13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats fine and swell, at least he is gonna get his due diligence to make the case from a grown adult coach instead of a man child who cant get over grudges (and that has been proven time and time again). Klinsmann is done, he is over, he will be forgotten as an era going backwards. Arena will do more in this 2-ish year tenure than Klinsmann did in his 5-6 years in charge.

galaxydeadhead, russ, Berks and 4 others repped this.
  14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #14 Gamecock14, Nov 22, 2016
    The Money Quote from the article is the only thing that survived. The article was taken down from the web a long time ago and I still can't find a hard copy of the article. It was in the March 2013 ESPN the Mag.

The first part had a quote about "Americaness" and the second talked about progress. There was no context because no one has access to the article. Even when it first came out, the article was behind a paywall before being taken away.

People took whatever conclusions they wanted from it.

15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, when was this guy's last win? 2006? Jesus, fire the bum already!!!;)

16. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Sure but having a coach that doesnt let his personal issues with players get in the way of fielding the best possible team is the answer. JK showed time and time again that he was more important than the team.

BassNFool, Berks, Mr Martin and 3 others repped this.
  17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His first order of business should be replacing our captain.

juveeer, Deadtigers, 70runner and 3 others repped this.
  18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Managers make a difference and the chemistry on a team like the US (which lacks in overall talent) is even more so.
    Bruce's strength, at all levels, has always seemed to be in producing cohesive teams and preparation while his weakness has been scouting and adjustment when things are going bad.

My hope is that the US now has a scouting crew in place that can keep talent from elsewhere coming into the pool to strengthen the overall mostly weak pool that the MLS produces and the the assistants will be good enough so that when the US is trailing at or after the half better adjustments will be made that what has been seen from his teams in the past.

If that is mostly true we will be fine for the remainder of this cycle.

No matter what if we get to Russia we can be assured of one thing; it will be cooler than Brazil.

juveeer repped this.
  19. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Nov 22, 2016
    Arena in response to TT's "what is the one thing you will immediately change on the field". Answer: "aggressiveness, we have to get after it"

Yes, yes, yes yes. Go get em Bruce!

Much to the chagrin of many here I am sure, BA talked about relying on our athleticism and complementing our experienced midfield of Bradley, Jones and others with young attacking players!

The full interview:

http://www.espnfc.us/international/55/video/3002215/arena-im-motivated-to-build-a-good-team

juveeer and jackiesdad repped this.
  20. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who should be the new captain?

21. SuperChivo

SuperChivo Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Geoff Cameron, although Michael Bradley will continue to start under Bruce Arena; I'll bet on that.

juveeer, deuteronomy and Gilma1990 repped this.
  22. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I doubt you'll find a lot of disagreement here with that statement. 1. Everyone knows we need consistency. 2. Nobody is looking for many changes in the camp rosters. A few additions and subtractions? Sure, but not many changes.

Mr Martin repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    great question. I'd say whoever is playing in goal or Jozy maybe. Then again Jozy seems quick to anger, so maybe not a good idea. Whoever said Cameron might have it right.

though then again i did wonder why Bocanegra was captain over Donovan all those years ago. not that Donovan should have been captain, it's just he'd have been the easy obvious pick.

24. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Quality is important. By known do you mean foreign? We'll see how Bruce does. If we see the players and team doing the same things they did and performing in hte same way as they did under Klinsmann, than I will admit that i was wrong about our last known manager.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought his next few sentences were very telling. A lot about getting defenders organized and everybody knowing their roles. Twellman asked for a quick answer and Arena said a lot more.

deuteronomy, Mahtzo1 and StillKickin repped this.