The Browns name got to stay... Austin Aztex for the next team?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by Stephen Heisler, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That little town on the Lake Erie fought for and kept the Browns name, does Austin want to keep the Aztex?

I have not heard from anybody in Austin yet, but I have to believe that a supporter operated team could work in Austin, especially at the SPSL level of play.

2. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We heard you in all the other threads you posted in. Give it a rest.

As to your actual question, I see no reason to keep the Aztex name. It's pretty silly IMHO.

3. Rangerus

Rangerus Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Falls City TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the aztex name was wrong on many levels.

4. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I actually like the name Aztex.

5. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really are something else. The Fans in Austin just got taken for a ride by someone that used them and their faith in the Club then left them in the dust for supposed greener pastures. You come along and commence with your stick about how they, the Fans can operate a team there. Did you tell them yet they have to pay your little Expansion fee, League fee, Player Fee and lest I forget Referee Fees per game? Have a deadline to submit your Application by say Halloween or so or do you simply just not care that they may have a bit of a grieving and venting process to go and work through right now?

Spare me the "there are doers" rhetoric as your posts here the last few days confirms that you could not give a shit less about the fans and people in Austin and just want to get some of the money pie for yourself.

Sorry Austin folks, I apologize if this is out of line on your forum.

6. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Offebacher,
    There is a fine line between sour grapes and slander. We have been trying to get a team in Austin since December of last year.

No secrets here.

Franchise Cost $4,000 (Can be paid quarterly over the first year)
    Monthly Dues $250 (Pays for the new league and team websites, media relations and league ops staff)
    Yearly Player Registration $25 (Paid Directly to US Club Soccer)
    Referee Costs per Game $340 (Paid Directly to Referee Entity)

That's it. Way less then the cost of the other leagues, and you get a lot more bang for the buck. Including a ten month season with 36-40 matches.

Try to find a league that is going to operate at this level for $3,000 per year and $25 a player. Offebacher must be a true fan of the game to try and toss stones at our league.

Who is the SPSL? The four individuals are from each of the four original teams that were forced to splinter off from the NPSL. All money from new teams go into the league account and not into anyone's pocket. We collectively decide where the money goes.

Application deadline? There is not one. You guys figure it out. If you want to be ready for the 2nd half of the 2010-2011 season, you need to get your ducks in a roll by Jan 1st. If not, wait until June 1st for the 2011-2012 season.

Offebacher, what IS your deal? Were you one of the guys that thought Regals FC would never be anything? One of the famous BSrs that laughed at the concept a bit more than a year ago? I have a great question for you... what's not to like? My kids work hard. We give them everything to be successful.

Next time you want to get some factual info, feel free to contact me directly.

In the meantime we will continue to make strides to give more players the oppertunity to compete at a higher level. What a sin.

Stephen
    832-445-9983

7. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty simple: Austin Fans are going through some emotional issues because the Club that they supported was taken away from them with little to no warning. Hardest hit are the ones that invested the most in that club, be it money, volunteer hours, passion etc.
    Along comes an opportunist that shows up in or creates new threads wanting to hear from them about buying into his league which given the circumstances displays a lack of tact, respect or just plain ignorance for their current situation IMHO. So my deal is with you, not your team, league or players which is something you brought into this conversation.

8. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opportunist= Somebody that would benefit or profit from a situation.

Here is the deal. The game changed. Austin was sitting outside of the footprint that the USL put itself into by dropping everyone to D3. Rawlins had the choice to join the NASL (and raise all of his costs) or move the team. That is the bottom line.

The exact reason the team moved is also the reason that the SPSL can exist. Our footprint and operational model reduces costs dramatically. A club owned and operated by the supporters group would never be able to do what the Aztex had to do.

Look at Charleston. Do you think that the fans really cared too much about D2 or D3? 4,500 fans at the final did not mind too much.

What level of play is the SPSL? 3.5 Maybe? Our by-laws allow professional players, and they also allow high school students. The new NCAA rules changes the way clubs are able to operate. Now teams can use a core group of paid pros to help develop young amatuer prospects. Many of those prospects will still have the choice to go to college or a higher professional league.

The SPSL is going to exist with or without Austin. Sure we would love to have them, but it is not going to effect our bottom line regardless. Nothing "Opportunistic" about that.

Also, we are talking about a way to continue the game in a community, not about the death of it. You are acting as if the team was lost in a tragic accident. Nobody died. The life of Austin soccer is not in the Aztex, it is in the hearts of the supporters. Nothng Rawlins, the USL, or I can ever do to take that away.

Stephen

9. Hands

Hands Member

May 5, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stephen - I think its the timing of your posts that are at issue here. You need to give the Austin folks some time to breathe. They are bleeding right now.

I think we all can appreciate your passion for the game and your desire to add another option for new teams in the area.

But please, give it a rest for awhile. Now is not the time and this is not the correct forum to have such a discussion. Not yet.

My .02.

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    put it another way. his posts & esp his timing are likely to make people that would look at his league as an alternative just walk away.

Deal with the SPSL = deal with Stephen Heisler = don't deal with SPSL

11. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rover,
    Great post, you are a true champion of the game.

12. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    It's exactly the same as talking to a guy that was dumped by his girlfriend because "he's too poor" and you show up the next day with a ugly/fat friend saying:

"I found you the perfect replacement, she won't leave you because you are poor, she's fine with romantic dinners at McDonalds, and doesn't celebrate birthdays or Christmas........ come on man, why aren't you excited???"
    :confused::confused::confused:

13. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see you have been looking at my pictures. But hey, my wife loves me.

14. Danilo-11

Danilo-11 Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    Which one are you?
    The ugly/fat friend? :D

15. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I don't know that it's so absurd. I for one have thought about this as a possibility for Minnesota moving forward a number of times (though not SPSL). If not for the history of MN folks not showing up for NPSL, I still think it could make a go in either NPSL or USL. Probably not next season, but if you're dedicated to soccer, this is an avenue that works elsewhere, and it might be worth a shot.

The fees you talk about are actually not exorbitant, and when spread across 1,000 to 2,000 people, it might actually be doable. Throw a few good sponsors from the chamber of commerce in there, and you might even make a go as a supporter owned team.

EDIT: But as I said in my post, it's probably a better idea to go with NPSL or PDL (though PDL is more pricey). This guy may be trying to make a buck, but the idea isn't a bad one.

16. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No "make a buck" here. We were suppose to be the NPSL before the league pulled the plug a few weeks before our season (which we are in now) due to a legal issue with the carryover NPSL team. We broke off to form our own league to maintain our sponsors, leases, players, and fans.

Nothing fly-by-night about us. My team has played 90 games leading up to the season opener. We get decent press coverage and have done everything the right way.

You are welcome to take a look.
    http://regalsfc.com
    http://thespsl.com

1 person likes this.
  17. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well gee, thanks :D

I'm not a true champion of anything, just trying to point out that your timing is cruel, arguably self-absorbed and definitely counter-productive - for you.

Put it this way (and riffing off Danil-11), Aztex fan falls in love with a great girl; cute, smart, outgoing who was opening his horizons and getting him to dream of a happy ever after. She wasn't a supermodel or Hollywood star, but she was lovely and he was a family guy who never thought he was in that kind of league anyway. Now she's run off with a real estate agent to condoland and he's devastated. Offering him a hot date with Claudia Schiffer isn't going to cut it & will only give you grief and his lasting hostility.

In footballing terms, you could be offering the Aztex fans an MLS franchise with the second coming of Pele as DP, Rinus Michels coaching and Michael Dell picking up the tab, and they'd tell you to get lost. If you really want to get their attention, wait a couple of weeks while you work the back channels in the mid-sized business sector & soccer scene in Austin to see if there are any sufficiently steamed by Rawlins' behaviour to get involved. About Nov. 20th ask to meet the fans privately in small groups and see if they're willing to try again.

I don't know enough about your league (BTW, are you planing to get back with NPSL if the Tulsa situation gets sorted out, or is SPSL going to stand alone indefinitely?) and I'm sure you have faith in it, but if you want to offer Austin fans something, the first thing to do is wait a decent interval before approaching them.

18. KillerMoth

KillerMoth Member

May 12, 2008
    South Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Hi everyone,

I appreciate the concern, but I don't feel Stephen is out of line, here.

SPSL may be our best option, at least for a while.

19. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I was wrong to dismiss you in my previous post, Stephen. Thanks for keeping level head; it's a credit to you and what you're trying to get done.

I remain convinced that D4 may be the best option for the Aztex at least for a year or two. If it keeps some semblance of the team alive, go for it.

My MN Thunder went under in the off season last year, but their PDL team kept the name. I still check their stats and development from abroad, hoping someday they'll be able to move back up, but this time more slowly and methodically.

20. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SPSL intends to eventually operate at D3, D4, and D5 with full promotion and relegation between the three. I feel there is room in all four regions for three divisions each. Not going to happen overnite, but it is nice to have a good idea of the future. I feel we have a bright one if we can continue to keep it simple.

Bullsear,
    Thanks for the kind words