The Bourne novels.

Discussion in 'Books' started by whufc_tom, Oct 29, 2009.

1. whufc_tom

whufc_tom New Member

Oct 10, 2009
    England
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have just really started getting into reading. I have read the odd few books but i have only just started to really get into it since i read the Da Vinci code and Angels and Demons.

I have seen the Bourne films and wanted to start reading the books. I would like to know if they are any good and if they are similar to the films. The Identity, Supremecy and Ultimatum of course, or if the other ones are good.

I also quite like Eric Van Lustbader so if you have read any of his other books then i would like to know about them.

Thanks.

2. CrewArsenal

CrewArsenal Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Pickerington, Ohio
    I have read several Bourne novels; I have not seen any of the movies except in bits during previews.

I liked Ludlum's writing (except for the alleged humorous ones, The Road to...etc), and I think Lustbader does a good job of carrying on with the character and all the plot twists.

3. Ian Lozada

Ian Lozada Member

May 29, 2001
    The Pick Four Pool
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The movies take wild departures from the books, which is good.

The Bourne Ultimatum is the single worst book I ever bothered to finish. I will remove my eyes with a grapefruit spoon before I ever open a Robert Ludlum book ever again. Half the book was him repeating some point about one of the previous books that he'd covered 15 other times in the one he was writing.

4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I loved Bourne Identity, absolutely loved it, so of course, I hate the movies and really dislike the sequels. So, if you read Identity, and only kind of like it, you may be perfect for the movies and subsequent knockoffs...

5. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The Bourne movies mostly just borrowed the character name and premise. The novels appear to be set in 1970's Cold War politics. The movies took the premise but changed the setting to post-Cold War/post-911 world. I tried reading both Identity and Ultimatum but found both terribly written and didn't push on. Q

6. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read them back when they were orginally published. I enjoyed the books and movies.

However, the books weren't great by any means. Some of the things Jason did where so unbelieveable that it was comical...

7. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I read them at that time too and found them highly enjoyable.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new Bourne novels are awful. they're not written by ludlum.

Just a note on the movies .... the director forebade the screenwriter from reading the 'Bourne Identity' book. he just gave him an outline to work from. they are nothing alike.

I think there are better spy novels to be had ...

9. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I'm not a big fan of Ludlum. I found Identity to be passable, and didn't mind his Matarese books, but I haven't really been able to get into anything else.

As far as paperback thrillers go, I tend to gravitate to writers like le Carre and Forsythe. The best writer of spy fiction is, of course, Len Deighton.

10. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I really love Trinity by Ludlum.

I like Deighton's war novels but not so much his cold war ones.

11. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the first three Bourne books. I havent bothered with all the new ones that have popped up since the movies started.

I am glad the movies deviated from the books. I found Jason Bourne and Marie to be annoying characters. I liked them much better in the movies. I just wish Marie had not been killed off in the movies.

So, if you are wanting to read the books because you like the movies, you may be disappointed. They arent bad books but they arent great either. They certainly arent close to the movies though.