The Blond Ambition Tour: The 2016-17 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by inswinger, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illusion

illusion Member+

Aug 26, 2005
    From Hell
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    many if not most observers and football intellects think the same.

2. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    With Lucho leaving at the end of the season the new coach should be someone who knows the club well so that they can get back to this philosophy thing people keep lushing about.

My vote goes to Barca B coach Gerard López as the new Mister. :thumbsup:

4. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not a club legend and still a bit green. Not enough credit with the fans.
    He wouldn't last long.

Sampaoli with Xavi as his assistant is my new ideal tandem.

unclesox repped this.
  5. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #205 Gilmango, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    We have not looked great for much of this season, and a coaching change may well help, but Lucho's record here will stand the test of time, a trophy haul / season unmatched by any Barca coach other than Pep.

And in La Liga we are currently in first place, control our destiny as winning out would give us the title regardless of Real's game in hand (as winning out would mean we win at their place in El Clasico). Also we lead Liga in Goal Differential by far 50 (Real 38, Sevilla 19, Atletico 23), have the most goals by far at 71 (63 for Real then 48 for 3rd Sevilla), and are tied for 2nd in fewest allowed at 21 (tied with Atletico, Villarreal lead with 19). And on an individual level we have both the leader and runner up in Pichichi (Messi 21, Suarez 19, Penaldo 18), and share lead in assists (Suarez and Kroos with 9 each, Piatti 8, Neymar 7), and also sit in 2nd place in Zamora (this was before today's game)
    Rank Name Club Goals Against Matches Average
    1 [​IMG] Sergio Asenjo Villarreal 15 23 0.65
    2 [​IMG] Marc-André ter Stegen Barcelona 17 23 0.74
    3 [​IMG] Sergio Rico Sevilla 25 22 1.14
    4 [​IMG] Fernando Pacheco Alavés 30 23 1.30
    5 [​IMG] Gerónimo Rulli Real Sociedad 32 24 1.33

Translated Text of Lucho's farewell speach to press (he told team first after game):

"I will not be manager of Barcelona next season," he revealed.
    "In preseason I had a meeting with [club directors Albert] Soler and Robert [Fernandez], during which I spoke about the possibility of not renewing.
    "They told me that there was no rush to decide. But the moment has arrived.
    "The reason is the way I have to live this profession, constantly looking to improve. It means I have very little time to rest.
    "It's been a difficult, but well-thought-through decision. I need to rest. I would like to thank the club for the confidence they have shown in me and for three unforgettable years."

Barca are still fighting to win three competitions, and Enrique called for complete focus from everyone involved with the club between now and the end of the season.
    "There are three months left, and we are in a difficult situation, especially in one competition [the Champions League]," he said.
    "But with the help of everyone -- and if the stars align -- we can turn things around [against Paris Saint-Germain on March 8].
    "My dedication during the coming three months will be total."

6. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Gabri is a coach these days isn't he?

7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Legend on and off the pitch

Gilmango repped this.
  8. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
  9. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #210 Gilmango, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Yes, I don't see that one having any legs (and I don't see Unzue getting it either, as too many are happy Lucho is leaving, whereas all were sad when Pep left so he could name his assistant as his successor).

Right now Sampaoli is beating Valverde in the match to determine who coaches Barca next. SFC 1 - Athletic 0 at 22 minutes (sorry if I'm putting a spoiler in the wrong place).

Here's a much longer one, which names 8 or so men and does not even mention Klopp, plus of course Klopp is not quite setting the world on fire at Liverpool. This one lists pros and cons of each coach, in MARCA's jaundiced opinion: http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2017/03/02/58b85796268e3ef1388b4568.html

Worth a mention is that Valverde is out of contract in June so free, and Sampaoli has a 1.5M buyout which won't break the bank, Koeman's buyout, by contrast, is 8M

condor11 repped this.
  10. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw odds at the start of the video attached to this story, no odds on favorite but:
    Sampaoli 3:1
    Valverde 4.5:1
    Wenger 5:1
    Koeman 7.5:1
    Blanc 11:1

article about possible EPL coaches filling Barca vacancy: http://www.espnfc.us/english-premie...no-klopp-and-koeman-suitability-for-barcelona

EDIT - but those odds are a bit at odd with what I found here: http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/barcelona/next-permanent-manager

Eusebio says no interest but I'm not sure how much interest we have in him to be honest. http://www.espnfc.us/spanish-primer...-eusebio-sacristan-rules-out-barcelona-switch

11. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I would be seriously crushed if Wenger became Barca coach....I cannot stand him

omajac repped this.
  12. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannot see that happen, I mean how does that possibly happen. If he is pushed out of Arsenal he is damaged goods who has won maybe 2 less trophies in the past 10-12 seasons, total? Or if not pushed out, same trophy count, but now with a high buyout clause.

13. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    The thing about Wenger is people say he would do better in a team full of resources and better players but as a manager sometimes he's clueless. He favours some players even when off form, benches players who do well with limited game time, substitutes too late and lastly has lost his touch in developing players.

He is an old coach, I feel Barca need a new school coach like Sampaoli, Koeman, Sarri, Jardim etc.

14. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #215 Gilmango, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Sid Lowe's take on Lucho's departure: headline sums it up:
    Barcelona open-mouthed, not broken-hearted, at Luis Enrique’s imminent exit
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/02/barcelona-luis-enrique-la-liga

Graham Hunter says Lucho's timing is bold but perfect: http://www.espnfc.com/club/barcelon...decision-to-leave-barcelona-at-the-right-time
    Some great excerpts:
    How many big performers know when to leave the stage? At the right time, in the right way, before their magic dissipates? In sport, in politics, in life?
    The answer is, very few.
    Luis "Lucho" Enrique did it once, as a player, and he has done it again as a coach. This was the right time to leave, and staying any longer would have been damaging on a number of levels -- to Barcelona, with regard to trophy pretensions, forward planning in player and coaching terms, and to Luis Enrique himself.

and
    Luis Enrique, in trying to reboot Barcelona, and in trying to make them less easy to predict and less easy to close down, found new ways of playing that were very successful, but which seem to have withered the very essence of what the club's team play was about.
    When, in recent weeks, Pique, Sergio Busquets and Andres Iniesta offered public support to the coach, but repeatedly argued that the team needed to return to an "identifiable" playing style and that they needed "footballing" solutions to their current problems, it was clear that they were hoping there would be a natural break at the end of Luis Enrique's current contract.

and
    But Lionel Messi's current contract expires in the summer of 2018, which means he will be free to sign for another club on Jan. 1, just 10 months from now. Before he chooses to either leave or recommit -- the latter still being more likely -- there's no question that the greatest player in Barcelona's history would need to know who was going to coach him next season, which players would be signing and which ones would be leaving.
    Until Luis Enrique showed his hand, it was impossible for the club to guarantee any of those things.
    Until these matters were made clear, Messi's contract would continue to edge towards that remarkable status, where the most valuable player in the world might leave for free. Messi's father, Jorge, was in Catalunya recently but went home to Argentina without any major advancements in the negotiations.
    So whether there was a degree of a "push" to encourage Luis Enrique to fast-forward his announcement or not, the fact remains that the coach has taken the right decision at the right time and facilitated the club moving forward.
    Expect there to be a reaction in the team's play. Expect that the fans will be more vocal in their support for an already popular coach. Expect that the Messi negotiations move forward more positively and more quickly.
    But hopefully there is also recognition that what Luis Enrique has done isn't easy. To walk away from your dream job when the previous years have been packed with success is not easy. It's a decision that Pep Guardiola failed to make at the right time. His fourth year was too tiring; he was too burnt out.
    This has been a decision made by a man who could, feasibly, have insisted on staying. But instead, Luis Enrique has chosen the right option and the right time to announce it.
    Congratulations, "Lucho." It's been quite a ride.

Finally NYTimes has a succinct take on departure and successors:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/01/...latest&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

Like Sampaoli, Pochettino studied under the famed Argentine coach Marcelo Bielsa, an inspiration to Guardiola. And — perhaps crucially — he and Sampaoli are connected, as fellow alumni of the Argentine club Newell’s Old Boys, to Messi.

illusion and condor11 repped this.
  15. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    condor11 repped this.
  16. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this in the "youth thread" but that likely doesn't see much traffic. UEFA Youth Champions League is ON right now with Barca hosting Porto for a spot in the semifinals, 0-0 right now. Single game decides it then top four teams play semi and final in Nyon (we Just OK stream, better ones if you have Acestream (via rojadirecta.me) http://www.extremotv.info/20.php

Benfica and Salzburg already in (beating CSKA Moscow and Atletico respectively). If we win we play Salzburg in semifinal. Benfica will face the Real Madrid-Ajax winner, played tomorrow.

17. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #218 Gilmango, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Just went down a goal, 0-1, have about 25 minutes to level it (I'm pretty sure that there is no away goals rule in effect since it is just a single game) and force extra time. Watching in german now: http://antenasport.eu/ch2.html

EDIT - 1-1!
    RUIZ ties it up for Barca and UEFA has its own English language stream: http://www.uefa.com/uefayouthleague...live/index.html?day=8&session=1&match=2022559

EDIT - Still tied, no away goal rule, and no extra time. Will go to PKs if no goal in last 5.

BAD FOUL IN BOX - PK for Barca! MBOULA Scores! Keeper got a hand on it but could not keep it out!

4 Minutes of extra time! Theatrical fall in the box by Porto's Chinese substitute - no PK given.

puyol and unclesox repped this.
  18. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they hold on to win 2-1, going to Nyon on April 21st to play Salzburg (championship and also 3rd place game played April 24).

ShortyMac, puyol and unclesox repped this.
  19. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to update this since the posts above got some love, Real rallied to beat Ajax, so the two semifinals in Nyon are Barca v. Salzburg, and Real v. Benfica. Could have a Clasico on the 24th (for championship or the 3rd place trophy), could also have a repeat of the first year when Munir led Barca to victory over Benfica (though again that could be to win it all or merely for third place).

http://www.uefa.com/uefayouthleague...tml#semi+finals+madrid+benfica+barca+salzburg

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  21. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I don't know how, but I get early access to tickets, as they go on sale on the 20th, but I can buy up to 8 on the 17th.

Should be fun. Doubt Ronaldo plays much with the Confed Cup being part of his summer. Andre Gomes probably going too. Doubt they'll go balls to the walls.

Also, the new dolphins stadium is very nice. They remodeled it, looks like a proper footballing ground. Beckham taking his sweet time though.

Anyways. I hope to see Messi and Company, but would be cool to see some of those canteranos. Carles Aleña please.

22. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than the ConFed Cup it seems many players will actually get vacations from national team duty this summer. If so you could see more of our first teamers. But even so it is a preseason game with unlimited subbing, so for sure Carles, hopefully Mboula too but could be too early (he just debuted with B team). Marlon too as he will be trying to make the leap (if not ready to be 4th or 5th CB at first team the plan seems to be loaning him out). Speaking of loan outs, Samper could be back for at least preseason, Munir too as it is rumored he will not be purchased at end of loan. Perhaps even Deulofeu (though his buy back price is high, like 10M so unlikely), kind of depends who is coaching, who is bought, and who is sold.

23. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm a bit against this. It cheapens the rivalry to turn it into a money-grubbing exhibition match. It's not like anything is at stake, so why play a clásico friendly?

unclesox repped this.
  24. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I think football was cheapened a while ago. Barca and Madrid are just brands at this point, I can't honestly see much of a difference between them but the kits and where they play their home games. Besides, how many people support their local or hometown club? Most of us on these boards have never been to the Camp Nou, much less spent a season or two going to games. Most Barca and Madrid 'supporters' live abroad, and we're all plastics in that way. I think football and the clubs are cheapened by many things much bigger than these two playing a pre-season friendly.

unclesox and inswinger repped this.