The BigSoccer Science Thread volume 2

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DoctorD, May 7, 2012.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    My nephew at 17 has 2 parents who are eager for him to get a license and start driving. He is not so eager.

2. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen. I'm starting to hate driving.

Additionally my eyesight is rapidly deteriorating in my remaining good eye. I could probably benefit from autonomous vehicles in the not too distant future.

3. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Autonomous travel is nothing new. When I was a kid the milkman had a wagon pulled by a horse. He would hop off with enough qts. for the next 3 or 4 stoops and the horse would start and stop on it's own. :coffee:

4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If you are trying to say that horses are smarter than some people, I won't argue that point.

Dyvel and roby repped this.
  5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    When you are lost in the woods on horseback, give the horse free rein-- it knows the way back.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Some of the posters in this forum should get a horse. At least pony! :whistling:

7. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same in California, at least around where I live. And people still bitch about them to no end every time a new one is put in, despite the fact that they're far more efficient than a stoplight.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  8. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of the one way streets in San Francisco are still perfectly timed so if you go the speed limit you'll hit endless greens. Probably the only time in my life I drive the speed limit.

9. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

stanger and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is something that occurred to me, (albeit without some of the maths behind it, tbf ;))...

I thought about that in relation to this which was recently announced...

This seems the way to go, especially in regard to developing countries that haven't got the infrastructure in terms of road/rail. My thinking is with this type of scientific breakthrough they might not need it or, at least, not to the same extent.

usscouse repped this.
  11. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Wonder if I could get my Epsom letter printer to do one of these?

Hypersonic missile developed in the US 'could travel at speeds of up to 16,000mph' using an engine made entirely by a 3D printer

US weapons manufacturer Raytheon and Northrop Grumman Corp will work together on the project that uses scramjet engine technology.

Full Story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...engine-teams-Raytheon-hypersonic-program.html

13. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
  14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow. I couldn't wait to drive, and neither could most of my friends. I still enjoy driving. I can remember when the license was a rite of passage of sorts, a boyhood-to-manhood thing. I think another lost art is being able to work on your own car, or, at least, the car stereo.

There's the benefit of being able to take a woman out when you have a car. Running around hoping you haven't missed the last bus or train is no fun.

15. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    If you plan to play footsie you'd better get a pickup. They're just about the only vehicles left with a bench front seat. I suppose buckets are ok if both are contortionists! :(

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's what the back seat is for. Of course, modern pickups have become single seaters as well...

17. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
  18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #593 usscouse, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    I watched the movie Apollo 11 today. Sort of apropos for the day. Nothing like tanks in the streets.
    A 50 year old documentary film that but for hair styles and clothes it could have been filmed yesterday.
    F'kn Brilliant. Highly recommended.

Description
    Never-before-seen footage and audio recordings take you straight into the heart of NASA's most celebrated mission as astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins embark on a historic trip to the moon.

I was on the air enroute to Amsterdam from LAX looking at the moon through my window listening to the reports of the landing. Patched though the headset from the cockpit. Cool stuff.

soccernutter, fatbastard and Dage repped this.
  19. Mojo Jambo

Mojo Jambo Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  21. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    No they're not talking actual "Beam me up Scotty" teleportation, rather than Quantum Computers. I have no idea how fast they are but they (yeah them) seem impressed.

"Quantum teleportation is achieved for the first time: Austrian and Chinese scientists teleport 'quantum states' from one photon to another after first theorizing about it in the 1990s

The quantum information was moved from one photon, or light particle, to another, furthering the development of future quantum computers that can solve problems faster than today's machines."

Full Story:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-time-Scientists-teleport-quantum-states.html

22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I really want to place hope that humanity will crack quantum computation, but I'm clearly not the guy to do it. I'm not the smartest, nor the most dedicated (by a LONG SHOT), but the way forward is so incredibly unclear. It will take another Einstein-ian breakthrough in imagination and execution to make this happen. Right now, this seems like we got blue whales to respond the same frequency being played over and over, and no closer to knowing what it means.

Yeah, it happened............ But we already know that quantum mechanics works, but not why. This is not analogous to the Boson-Higgs, which was a theory (largely) confirmed.

usscouse repped this.
  23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #598 usscouse, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    In Michael Critchton's book 'Timeline' he, Critchton, tries to explain time travel using quantum physics for dummies. When reading you almost believe that you understand time travel. With a healthy dose of suspended disbelief that is.

That's as close as I get to following quantum teleportation.

'Timeline' one of my fav books and movies by the way. The mix of technology and medieval warfare is well done. I've actually been to the Dordogne area of France the story takes place and visited the castles.

24. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This new learning amazes me.

It seems that contrary to what I was taught, the Indian Ocean is the 2nd largest in the world dwarfing the Atlantic.

25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BREAKING: Secretary of Health declares public health emergency in the United States at a White House press briefing on coronavirus.
    Foreign nationals, other than immediate family members of U.S. citizens, who have traveled to China in the previous 14 days will be denied entry into the country.