The Big "Paucity of English Youth Talent" Debate!

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    And touch. And dribbling. He has struggled a bit lately with form and fitness, but he's been showing it for four years now, so I'm not sure that a few poor games this year will affect my opinion of him too much.

hussar and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    WELL I think u guys are overrating him

Hes a good talent but jwp is infinitely better imo

3. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I had wondered why myself,

thebigman repped this.
  4. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    "I saw in their last games, England Under-19s won 3-0 against Spain. They are good, good players. When you see [Kyle] Walker, Danny Rose, Eric Dier, Alli, John Stones and Rash [Sterling] – they are top. From my point of view the quality is there. I think in Under-21s and Under-19s the quality is there too." - Pep Guardiola

http://www.goal.com/en/news/8/main/...glands-golden-generation-baffle-man-city-boss

5. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Surely 'Rash' is Marcus Rashford and not Raheem Sterling?

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  6. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I thought that as well, but why would Guardiola big up a Man United player who has spent most of the season bench warming and ignore a young English player who starts for him week in week out?

hussar repped this.
  7. Sensanetional

Sensanetional Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Nah he is referring to Sterling, Raheem's nickname is 'Raz' which Pep likes to use often even if he does pronounce it as 'Rash', more drawn out 'a' though compared to Rashford.

itfcjoe repped this.
  8. The Dutch leading football magazine Voetbal International has this week an article:
    http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/bend-it-like-baker-het-verhaal-van-de-stilist-van-vitesse.htm
    It rather reads like a fan piece, but whatever. It says that they expect LB to move on next season, as he progressed so much this year.
    LB mentioned in the article he was very happy to have been able to have a second year with Vitesse, as it has been good for his development.

9. Not a good weekend for the Vitesse clan. AD Sportwereld ratings:
    Excelsior – Vitesse 1-0
    Excelsior: Hahn 6,5; Karami 6, Mattheij 6,5, De Wijs 7, Massop 6,5; Koolwijk 6, Fredy 6,5, Fortes 6,5; Elbers 7 (72. Ondaan -), Van Duinen 7 (89. Hadouir -), Hasselbaink 7,5.
    Vitesse: Room 6,5; Leerdam 5, Kashia 5,5, Miazga (27. Büttner 5,5), Kruiswijk 5,5; Nakamba 6, Nathan 5,5 (63. Tighadouini -), Baker 5 (75. Zhang -); Rashica 5,5, Van Wolfswinkel 4,5, Foor 5.
    Arbiter: Janssen 6
    Man van de wedstrijd: Nigel Hasselbaink was zaterdagavond een ware plaag voor de defensie van Vitesse. Hoewel er meer dan één treffer achter zijn naam had mogen staan, liet hij wederom zien in een uitstekende vorm te verkeren. Met negen doelpunten beleeft de behendige aanvaller inmiddels zijn meest productieve seizoen ooit.

[​IMG]

10. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Nathan isn't English if you didn't realise. Baker seems to have been quieter in the second half of the season. Is it fair to say teams are targeting him more and trying to stifle him? I read an article a few months back that said opposition teams have started man marking him on corners even though he lurks 10 yards out of the blocks.

And any thoughts on Dan Crowley?

11. Sorry, I mixed up with the Chelsea thread.

Willem II – Go Ahead Eagles 2-0
    Willem II: Lamprou 6,5; Ojo 5, Lachman 6, Peters 6, Van Anholt 5,5; Haye 6 (73. Schuurman -), Lieftink 4,5 (46. Sol 6,5), Kali 5, Croux 6; Falkenburg 5,5, Oulare 6.
    Go Ahead Eagles: Zwarthoed 6; Groenbast 5,5, Fischer 5, Schenk 6,5, Achenteh 6 (80. De Kogel -); Chirivella 6, Crowley 5,5, Duits 6 (80. Rexhepi -), Ritzmaier 6; Antonia 5, Hendriks 5,5.
    Arbiter: Manschot 5,5

I donot understand the Arsenal policy to loan him to Go Ahead Eagles. That team is in a constant battle with relegation, so hardly a place for a player looking for a steady surrounding to develop.
    But then again, a club higher up the table isnot going to be easier. The top talent Odegaard from Real Madrid landed in Heerenveen and is riding the bench as he made the team worse instead of better. But according to former coaches that was the fault of Real Madrid. One might think Real Madrid has a top academy. Bergdølmo, now coach of Ullensaker Kisa, but before at the Norwegian club of Ødegaard, gives them a kick in the nuts in an interview with the Spanish news paper AS:
    The current coach of the Norwegian Ullensaker Kisa is pleased that the Norwegian super talent in January moved to Heerenveen.
    "At Real Madrid Castilla he has developed, but at Heerenveen he really has learned what it means to be a professional footballer. I think he mostly done much weight training at Real Madrid. "
    Bergdølmo, who played around 66 Eredivisie matches played between 2000 and 2003, sees his compatriot in Friesland making progress. "Heerenveen is the only club where he really learned something.
    "
    Ex Heerenveen coach GJ Verbeek said one could see he has been wasting two years and wasnot playingat a high enough level.

One thing is for sure, the developmental skills are very good at any club in the Eredivisie, so maybe Arsenal thinks the combination of playing plus the developmental skills is going to benefit him. Eredivisie clubs, even when in relegation battle are always trying to play combination football and avoid as much as possible hoofing the ball. So in that respect Crowley as a midfielder is in a place to learn as much in tactics as in technical sense, because he will have many ball contacts as a result of the Dutch way of thinking about football and faces most of the time stronger opponents that arenot hoofing the ball too. Donot read too much in his rating yet, as he is just here since the winter break and typically our philosophy needs getting used to.

12. By the way, the leading Dutch football magazine Voetbal International rated Crowley in the Willem II match with a 7 out of 10.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    There's a book been released today by Michael Calvin called ' No hunger in Paradise ' which might interest a few posters here, especially from an English prospective with regard to Youth Development in England. Obviously I've not read it yet and will try and order but just thought this might intrigue a few guys here as it seems to involve Parents, Coaches, Agents and there roles in Youth Development.

14. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They did an hour on this topic on Talksport at 5pm today. Other channels will probably do it as well. Anyone ever seen the "contract signing on day" at Liverpool each year for six year olds. Little kids being treated like they are superstars. Can't be healthy.

The FA coaches always emphasise the need for fun, particularly for the younger kids, but it's interesting when you hear what some players with famous dads have to say about their time growing up. Tom Ince, for example, has said, if he had a poor game his dad would scream in his face to such an extent he would spit on him, until he cried. And there are other similar tales.
    Seems as if these ex-pros hadn't got the message.

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah that's where I heard about it but its something of personal interest for myself due to my past experiences of playing in a Center of Excellence for a professional Club quite a few years ago and it was one of the worst experiences I had during Childhood which nearly destroyed my love for football.

16. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I've bought this book and will read it on holiday next week, Calvin's previous books are all excellent reads so am looking forward to this one. Family, The Nowhere Men and Living on a Volcano are all worth reading if anyone hasn't

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  17. Wow, that's bad! The Dutch FA, the KNVB recently changed rules for kids, so to make sure they enjoy the game. One of them was that parents/spectators/coaches cannot stond closer than about 25 meters to the pitch, so they cannot yell at the kids.

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    What about the experience was so off-putting? I'm guessing you want to keep the identity of the club to yourself?

19. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm about a third of the way through it and it's typically very good, bringing much-needed light and discussion to the very unsavoury side of youth football that we all know exists, but deserves much more attention being thrust upon it to ensure that these thousands of children are suitably looked after in every regard.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think they have started to do similar over in England but not 100% on that or maybe it's up to the Clubs to decide as I'm sure my mate told me they do that at there Club.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I just wasn't prepared all those years ago ( about 25 years ago )for the change of playing with my mates and having fun to be to join a professional Club and understanding the seriousness of the situation, I just wasn't prepared mentally for the change. I went from having Coaches that just wanted us to have fun which we did and we were a very good club side, the best in our County to having Coaches ( or more specifically a Coach ) that yelled and shouted if we made a mistake and in fact on one occasion I remember a Coffee Cup ( or tea, can't quite remember) being flown across the Changing Room. All this was quite a shock to the system for myself and other young lads who just were not used to this, maybe we had sheltered upbringings I don't know, think we were 13 or 14 at the time. Some could handle it better than others for sure, mainly the more street wise Characters but some of us it had a more lasting effect. For myself, being yelled at on a regular basis had disastrous consequences for my self-belief and confidence that it lead me to feign injuries and even play badly just so I was dropped. I would be happy if I was on the bench and delighted if I didn't get on the pitch just to save myself from being yelled at. I mean that's just terrible looking back on it and I wish I had really talked to my parents about how I felt but just didn't want to let them down I guess. Put it this way, I was very happy when a game was postponed or cancelled and I compare that with when I was playing Club football with my old team, I would be gutted because I loved playing for them. I don't know, maybe it's just the harsh reality of the environment as a professional player that the Coach was trying to prepare me for but I think I could of handled the situation better in my later teens but in my young teens I really wasn't ready. The whole incident put me off football for a year until some other mates of mine eventually persuaded me to join there team who actually weren't very good but I started to enjoy football again and actually ended up being picked up by a semi pro team that I played for before serious injury forced me to quit the game early. Anyway that's a basic run down of my experiences and hope others had a more enjoyable time during development than I did.

ChristianSur repped this.
  22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    That isn't just you being sheltered. The verbal stuff is bordering on child abuse, and throwing a cup across a changing room is plain assault.

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah well it was an unpleasant experience that I wouldn't want any other kids to go through but it was quite a long time ago so even though these situations clearly still exist I just hope it's a lot less.

24. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Same. No kid should go through that and I'm sorry that you did.

25. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    ChristianSur and Marcho Gamgee repped this.