The Big "Paucity of English Youth Talent" Debate!

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  2. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    'Brighton, Norwich, Cardiff, Preston, QPR, Bolton, MK Dons and Newport are the teams in question.

They have not named one player in the starting line-up who was under 21 as of June 30 this year and is eligible for England or, in the case of the Welsh clubs, Wales.'

I'm not saying there's not some semblance of a point in there, but it's a very arbitrary condition, that skews it and suggests them 8 clubs are somehow drastically worse than others. Bolton have Zac Clough and Josh Vela (Kaine Woolery was also taken form them on deadline day) as regulars and Norwich have the Murphy twins playing. They're just four players off the top of my head that this piece discounts cause they've picked a random age and date as the cut off point.

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    hussar repped this.
  4. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Today, in the Newspaper of the Year, Jamie Redknapp says Roony is right to send his 7 year old to city, but more interesting to me was my surprise to read Jamie claiming academies now train kids to use both feet, as I find it most irritating to see kids at the top youth academies and England teams down to the u17s NOT using both feet (yes it's a pet hate of mine as some of you will be well aware).

In fact most of them play as if they have a phobia about using their "bad foot" and avoid doing so at all costs, preferring to keep using the outside of their favoured foot, with the inevitable high failure rate (as the instep is usually far more reliable and effective).

While Jamie's claim is very encouraging (I didn't think it could be much longer before someone highlighted this absurdity and something was done to remedy the situation) but I'll believe it when I see some signs of change myself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tml?login#readerCommentsCommand-message-field

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    wellno repped this.
  6. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Talking of using both feet - that own goal for Liverpool's third yesterday. The Stoke player who kicked the ball into his own net, was admittedly stretching but didn't even try to use the correct (right) foot to kick the ball clear. On checking afterwards he was clearly very left footed. Yet both the commentator and Niall Quinn said the player was blameless.

And yet they criticise players for all manner of other relatively nit-picking things.

wellno and thebigman repped this.
  7. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
  8. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Talking of obsessively using just the one foot. That own goal, for the second, against West Ham tonight: the defender should of course have tried to turn a bit to kick the cross back in the general direction whence it came, with his left foot. Neither the commentator nor the expert analyst considered him at fault at all.

9. RTB1984

RTB1984 New Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    With the media coverage of this 13yr old lad going from Southend to Man City I started thinking about how his career would differ due to the move. He's not the the first player to leave a club at a very young age and it seems to have been the making of some and the breaking of others careers. Just for a bit of fun I thought i'd choose 3 players who left their first clubs for a big club at a young age and guess at the stage they would be now if they'd chosen to stay rather than move.

Raheem Sterling (QPR)- would have probably broken in to the first team at 16 and made 40-50 appearances for QPR before ending up at a top side so no real change from what happened.

Izzy Brown (WBA)- would have made sporadic first team appearances near the end of the first few seasons, few loan moves then become established in the first team by the time he was 18

Sheyi Ojo (MK Dons) similar route as Dele Alli, would have broke in to the first team around 16 made 100+ appearances before moving to a top 8 prem team like Everton or Spurs

10. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    It's ambitious to say Izzy Brown would be established at West Brom at 18. It's often harder for these lads to break through at the bottom half sides than it is the top sides.

There's way too many variables to be entirely sure with any of these guys. Two years in an amazing Chelsea youth set up, a full season at Vitesse and then a full season split between both ends of the Championship may turn out to be a better path for him. Certainly a pretty impressive range of experiences to have under his belt having just turned 20.

11. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Yeah, I can't see Brown as a certainty at West Brom managed by Tony Pulis. He's at a good place now, Huddersfield are a team on the up, playing good football with a quality manager.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep hes a klopp kinda guy and huddersfield are doing ridiculously well under him

13. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  14. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Are Harry Kane and Antoine Griezmann excluded from the list for any reason other than the fact they make his argument weaker? Higuain and Lewandowski are both the sons of professional athletes so I doubt their upbringings were that underprivileged either.

The passage trying to shoehorn himself into the underprivileged category is laughable: "It was tough at Monaco when I was a 17-year-old. We didn’t have the same kit as the first team — we wore stuff that was three seasons old." Three season old kits, the poor soul.

What does he think of Tammy Abraham's easy transition from the Chelsea academy to Championship football? Or the fact that Gabriel Jesus was flanked in Man City's impressive front three by two young European academy graduates? I'm not pretending the academy system is perfect, but that article is poor.

hussar repped this.
  15. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Last season's Man City intake was dubbed the 'Golden generation' How does this one compare ?

Local
    Curtis Anderson (signed from Blackpool)
    Jeremie Frimpong
    Nathaniel Ogbeta
    Ryan Corrigan (signed from Everton)
    Keyendrah Simmonds
    Henri Ogunby (signed from Bury)
    Rabbi Matondo (signed from Cardiff)
    Yeboah Amankwah (signed from Man Utd)
    Bobby Duncan (signed from Wigan)

They got a few foreign players and released a couple of players on the England radar in Simms & Elewa-Ipeaku

16. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Don't think it's nearly as good; this year's first-year intake had Foden, Dele-Bashiru, Latibeaudiere, Francis and Rosler amongst those who'd started there very young, Sancho, Poveda and Smith signed from other English clubs, and Gonzalez added from abroad. Think they're all of a higher calibre than those coming in this year, although Frimpong and possibly Anderson (don't know what to think about Duncan just yet) would have a good case for being as good as some of them.

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  17. United689908

United689908 Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Taylor Richards

18. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Felt like there was one I was missing. And he was signed from Fulham.

Talk is from u15s downards lots of 'Blue' Manchester boys.

19. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #1819 Garibaldi11, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Think Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, WBA and Forest will have strong intakes as well just from England selections.

20. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Most experienced young players, by year of birth (31 European top division leagues) by @CIES_Football

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Im coming tound to ali a bit more glad hes getting so many games

redmond starting every game as well or was

22. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Re Spurs you're right. I started thinking about our intake next year and personally couldn't whittle it down anymore I spoke to a parent who confirmed my suspicions and it will be around 16. Which includes one signing from abroad of Tainio and surprisingly includes Poch Jr. I think the main reason for the massive intake is due to a lot of CMs/AM/Ws which couldn't be culled, then needing to have cover elsewhere. Saying that though there aren't many internationals but a lot of very good players e.g. Thorpe, Shashoua, Patterson, Clarke

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  23. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea's is led by Hudson-Odoi and Panzo on that front, with Lavinier and Mola also having caps, but the group overall isn't quite as strong as some of those from recent years. Not terrible by any measure but maybe just a step down from the readiness to step up overall.

Hudson-Odoi is spectacular though, will be pushing for U23 inclusion by next season at this rate.

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  24. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I know it's difficult to be objective, but where would you rate him in comparison to the other 2000s?

25. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I'm not going to check all of these but are these accurate?

Only thing I noted with a quick scan was Lewis Cook, who has played 1 Prem game and 80 in the Championship is noted as having 35 games on this? Or am I just misunderstanding something?