The Big "Paucity of English Youth Talent" Debate!

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I agree 100%, even without the u21 tournament I think that he plays too much this season

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Yeah, it just shows how well he's done that Wenger doesn't want to drop him.

I'm a bit shocked he hasn't been given a rest again tonight for a bit of a longer break after missing the FA Cup game aswell.

3. b-El

b-El Member

May 6, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wenger's gonna have to ask Capello to intervene because there's no way Pearce will not pick him. To his credit, Wilshere himself would ask to go but with 2012 coming up end of next season, he risks going 2 seasons without a summer break. At his age, you'd worry about overuse and injury.

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It's an issue that should already be sorted. As far as I know nobody from our press or any pundits even bothered to ask the question before or after the Denmark friendly though.

No way can we expect him to play 90 or more games and then be fresh for Euro 2012 without a considerable break at all.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Walcott missed about three months owing to injury.

Wilshere missed going with the u19s to the final last July (as did a load of others - as usual). He's still eligible for them now. He's been moved up to the u21s - the least he can do is turn up for the finals in June - it's only a couple of weeks and he can start back up after his holidays a bit later - just means he misses out on some of those long haul friendly money makers.

The same goes for the others as well. The u21 Finals are important.

It's about friggin' time we treated them as such!

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Why is it so important that he isn't given a break when he has played so many games? Why is it important that he plays for both the U21's and the senior team when the aim is Euro 2012.

It's important he gets a good break if he is going to be starting in Euro 2012 if fit.

The last tournament that Wilshere went to was the U17 Championships and the coach completely screwed that up. Was it still important and taken seriously then?

I'm not understanding your logic for him going. These tournaments are needed but shouldn't be used to run players into the ground for the sake of it.

7. b-El

b-El Member

May 6, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is probably a discussion that should be in the U-21s thread but I'll just add a quick reply to what you and Guardian are saying Barry.

From a selfish point of view, I'd love to see Jack go to the U-21 tournament. With him, I think we're a much better team and, given his game-by-game improvement this season, it's not unreasonable to think he might well dominate at that level for us.

Practically though, he's played an awful lot of games already and he's now a senior player. As far as development goes, which is the point of the 21s, he's exceeded that level. Also the risk of fatigue and injury would become a real concern. Granted it's a few games but we'd have to factor in training as well.

I don't know if Fabregas' weak hamstring relates to overuse in his early years but, there's a warning for Jack there.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    arsenal get alot of injuries because wenger does alot of extra fitness stuff aparently, i remember an ex player talking about it a while back and a physio who worked at arsenal

9. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    On the genuine quality front Morrison's second goal today to decide the big Youth Cup clash with the Pool was something of a cracker. One thing that has improved in the last year is his finishing which is top drawer now.

I was expecting it but be tough for Sterling and it was, but he still did well enough and his through ball for the first goal was enough for him to pass the test.

10. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Like these foreign sides do - players go up - players go down. We should do the same.
    I remember at a recent final one player there had more senior caps than u21s.

I've explained in my previous thread that he wont be "run into the ground". Come back a little later after the break and give all the unhelpful money making globe trotting a miss.

I'm glad to see Pearce is holding firm on Wilshere not ducking out (along with Carroll). As he said, "If we are going to win anything at senior level, we have to be successful at these younger age groups".

11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    This doesn't make sense to me though. You are saying that it doesn't matter if he plays until the end of the season. Then has to play for the seniors after that against the Swiss. Then with the warm up games included it is straight into the U21 tournament with little break. That ends on the 25th June.

It simply and idiotically runs the risk of harming him by expecting him to play on for an extra month in his first full season. Then expect him to play a full season after that and then Euro 2012 if we qualify.

As if we are going to win anything playing in Pearce's style of results obsessed football. Pearce is selfish or clueless if he takes Wilshere.

You need to be flexible and take each case on it's merits for the good of the player. Winning an U21 tournament is not more important than that and offering the place to someone like McEachran would be beneficial to him.

12. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wilshere is a senior level player now, no need to risk him getting burnt out for the U-21s. It's not as if Pearce would use him correctly either, stick him out on the wing again.

As you say Barry, Josh M is the one who should be given his place in the U-21. He's ready for it and plays a similar role.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    wilshere should not be used, he is a senior player, same thing as walcott before

pearce is a clueless numpty, typical english coach with limited ideals and tactics

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Here are Pearce's quotes on the issue -

He seems to think winning at U21 level equates to winning in the seniors. The way he sets up the team and the way they play in way too many games is detrimental to development and all he cares about is winning U21 games which are irrelevant.

This is just idiotic. He thinks all players must play regardless because that is the only way to success.

Spain had 8 players in their World Cup winning squad that were eligible for the U21 tournament at the end of the season before. How many of those players went to that tournament? 1.

Spain went out in the group stage and we beat them and got to the final. If they had brought in Fabregas, Pique, Mata, Silva, Busquets etc then they probably would have won the tournament but they were already too good for this level. So why pick them?

15. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Although I overall agree that Pierce has it right , I also see merit in your argument, case in point, CR7 . He was specifically brought back to the Olympic team for the Beijing games and had a dismal showing there, that has been to a certain extent, carried back on the senior team. So in his particular case, " playing back" hindered his progress in the senior team.

16. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Oezil played more than 90 club games in 2 seasons and then played for the European U-21 summer tournament in 2009. He then played the following summer for the senior German team in WC2010 and moved to Real Madrid where he is having a great season. Did he get burnt out? No.

Players should be assessed on their individual merits wrt how much they play.

While care of players physical condition needs to be maintained, some folks here are just too scared of injury to let young players actually play. If a player is fatigued or injured then he should be rested, otherwise he is fine to play.

17. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Spot on observation Barry. Shame there is nobody to challenge him. He has only one goal which is to keep himself in the job by grinding out results and pointing to his "record".

Yes winning should still be an aim, but not when it risks individual progression through burnout.

18. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not a particularly relevant example in this case, as Germany has a winter break and a less physical league. Also more to the point Oezil had not broken into the senior team in 2008/09.

Players who are already involved in the seniors and play regularly at a good club level should not be involved with the U-21s. Which is effectively Wilshere, possibly also Carroll as well if he is still eligible.

19. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    In your opinion.

My opinion is that games and tournament experience helps a player mature and develop.

More to the point, Oezil had indeed played for the German senior team before the summer of 2009, when he starred for the Germany U-21 side.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Do you have any source for this? I have it as below -

2007/2008 - 15 starts and 12 sub appearances

2008/2009 - 29 starts and 8 sub appearances

If you add the season before the World Cup he played altogether this amount of club games -

78 starts and 22 sub appearance over three seasons.

Ozil wasn't a starter for the German national team when he went to the U21 tournament. As far as I'm aware he played one game off the bench.

Wilshere is a starter for the senior team and so was Pique for example. Would you have taken Pique who was starting for Spain to the 2009 U21 tournament that he didn't go to? If so why?

21. Mike10

Mike10 Red Card

Apr 16, 2010
    No, they are not "fine to play". It's called taking preventative measures to stop a player getting either seriously fatigued or injured, or in the most likely case both. You can't just keep playing and training at a high intensity until you become fatigued or injured. The idea is that you take measures and precautions to insure that a player stay's in the right condition. You should rest players and reduce their training intensity/games before they run into problems that can spill over for months.

Me personally, like others, I believe Wilshere shouldn't be going to the tournament. The only benefit Wilshere will receive at the tournament will be more experience in a tournament environment. It certainly won't make any difference to his technical, tactical or physical levels. One could argue that the level Wilshere is playing regularly at is a lot higher than England U21's. If there was a good player playing for a lower club then it might do him some good to train and play with higher quality players. Wilshere's surpassed the U21 level.

What's the goal here? To develop players or to win tournaments. The idea that winning the U21 tournament will have a big impact on the senior team in the future is ridiculous.

Yes exactly Stuart. Spain built from the very bottom, with the same group of players following a technical syllabus that allows them to play the way they do today. So reversing the developmental pyramid, and taking players from the senior team and playing them in the U21's is not building from the top? Jesus, that man is an idiot.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    :D It's idiotic on so many levels. Pearce doesn't even have a plan or development philosophy other than getting the players he wants to turn up and winning in whatever way possible being all that matters.

I can't believe this man has been offered a new contract.

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he is PASHONAT barry

24. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    It appears I misread my stats, Ozil played 61 games in the 2 seasons prior to the Euro 2009 tournament. Wilshere has played a similar number of games in the last 2 seasons so far.

As for Wilshere being a 'starter' for England, he has started a whopping one match. He has not even played an hour of International football for the Senior team. Let's not pretend he has cemented his place in the first choice XI with all players available, cos he hasn't.

As for Pique, I have no problem with Pique being called up for Spanish U-21 if the team needed him. Similarly I have no problem with Micah Richards having excelled in the senior England team, and then later playing in the U-21 games. Richards played for England U-21 this week and he has 12 senior Caps. It is hardly a scandal.

25. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Obviously you make allowances if players have had an arduous workload, but you have to treat players individually. You should not rest players if they do not require the rest. That's why top flight pro players are continually assessed to ascertain their fitness levels. If they require rest then rest them. I am not saying that players should be overworked, merely that playing in the U-21 summer tournament would not necessarily overwork Wilshere (or Carroll). Claiming that their participation will result in them being overworked and subsequently injured due to this is simply speculation. Every match runs the risk of injury, every training session too.

What is certain is that participating in an U-21 tournament, helps the mental development and experience of young players and should help them should they ever attend an international tournament at senior level. So you have to weigh the certain benefit that the players will get from attending the tournament, against the slight possibility of a player getting seriously injured due to being overworked.

How many games is the optimal amount to play for a young player? It is clearly different for individuals.

When Messi was Wilshere's age he had played about 75 matches in the 2 seasons before. Was he overworked? Was this detrimental to his development?

When Rooney was Wilshere's age of 19, he had played at least 90 games in total for club and country in that season and the season before. Was he overworked? Was this detrimental to his development? Was Rooney dropped for Euro2004 in case he got 'burnt out'? No he wasn't. And it was a good thing for both Rooney and England too.

Of course there is a risk that a player gets overworked, so you have to assess the situation individually. To state that Wilshere attending the U-21 tournament will be too risky due to burnout is simply not true.