The Big "Paucity of English Youth Talent" Debate!

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    eh? The point about Wilshere wasn't started by Arsenal fan, it was someone complaining about Wengers comments. And this is nothing to do with a player simply being called up for their country.
    YOU didn't get it though, YOU thought it would help him develop as a player.
    And maybe aliens invade, however despite all your lovely hypothetical and pointless suggestions, by far the most likely is that Wilshere will play the majority of the rest of the season.
    That's very clever isn't it ? So rather than pointing out that playing someone too much for short term gain is a bad idea before the event, you think it would be better to wait till after the event, and then moan ? Wow, sensible advice. We need to be proactive, rather than reactive.
    And I'm not sure why you keep mentioning 18 months or 2 years. Wenger was talking about summer 2011, not 2012.

Yes there is, there has been suggestion from the FA that Wilshere will be called up for both the senior AND the U21s.

This is actually a good example of what is wrong with coaching in this country, a player with Wilshere's potential, (and its not much more than that at present) needs to be looked after so they can go on and have success with the seniors, not used just so the U21s can gain some success.

The U21s should be a way of nurturing young players and giving them useful experience for when they reach the senior squad. If upon playing in the seniors and playing poorly a player could be dropped from the seniors and put back into the U21s. That makes sense. Suggesting that a player is used for both groups, whoever the player is.

It's part of what is wrong with the FA. Shortsightedness

2. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Did I not mention Euro2012? I believe that is 18 months or so from now.

You are still bleating on about this hypothetical situation? You are going to ruin this thread until Euro2012, complaining about all the games that Wilshere might play, that might result in him playing too many games, that might result in him getting burned out, that might result in him not being the key man for England in 2012?

Playing matches is good for a player's development. Whinging about overplaying is tiresome when it has not even occurred. It is just a possibility that has not happened, and you are complaining about this and derailing this thread. It IS better to complain about something AFTER the event because you have a VALID complaint, as it would have been something that has actually occurred. What you are doing now, is whinging about something that may never even occur which is a less valid reason to clutter up this thread with complaints.

For example, England fans can complain in this forum about the World Cup 2010, and this player or whoever underperformed. This is a valid complaint, because this is analysis of the reality that has occurred. On the flip side, it would be pointless to complain about the possible failure of England in World Cup 2014 because that would be entirely speculative about events that may never actually transpire in the complaint.

I mention again, the existence of people called medics who safeguard the physical conditioning of players. It is part of their brief to prevent players becoming burned out. So there are safeguards against the very issue you are complaining about in your hypothetical world where an Arsenal midfielder player plays 80 matches in 2 seasons and his body breaks down because the pesky FA made him play for his country.

Wilshere might get burned out, he might not. As I said before, England are not going to deliberately take actions that damage Wilshire. England have a duty of care to all it's players and there is no evidence that this is being neglected in Wilshere's case.

Frankly you should be more concerned about why so many Arsenal players get injured so often and why their return to the team often seems to be rushed. There is a much greater chance that Wilshere's development will be hampered by this phenomenon in the next season and a half than by playing for his country imo.

3. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    He hasnt prove anything I'll give that to you.
    But I saw a lot of him at youth level, helping England win the euro 17 and Chelsea the youth cup. I saw him being super comfortable in midfield away in a CL game. Which is quite rare for a 17 years old. Definitely unusual for an English player to be so comfortable in possession, so I have to be excited about that.
    But if your point is that he hasn't prove anything then we both agree.
    I'd be very surprised if he didn't make it at the top level though.

4. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    I will try one final time...

1. Whether you're talking about 2012 is immaterial, given that the post I responded to was about Wengers complaint which was about summer 2011 and had nothing to do with 2012.

2 Playing matches is good for a players development, but as has already been shown in previous posts which you have ignored, Wilshere will get more than enough for that this season anyway

3 Complaining after the event is a complete waste of time, because then the player is already injured. Complaining then wont magically make him better will it ? Bringing it up beforehand and stopping him playing too many games WILL prevent a potential injury simply by avoiding those games.

Now I will say no more.

5. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Fair enough, this argument is getting tedious. We've both expressed our pieces on this issue. We may not agree but so be it. No point in falling out over a disagreement like this.

6. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    :) I forgot who I was rooting for .

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  8. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    You assume right
    What does it say ?

9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Not much new is mentioned. It's Clifford talking about his school's and talking about using a smaller ball, time working individually with the ball in a range of exercises. Learning to use the ball properly before the physical aspects and tactical aspects of the game.

10. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Cheers mate

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    revelation, why the feck would wilshere waste his time playing at an inferior level than he is capable of for a rocking horse brained idiot like pearce? what is he going to learn under that plank?

PASHUN? RUNNING FOR THE LIONS CAUSE?

pearce is useless, wilshere is fast developing into one of the most promising english players of this generation, if not the most promising already

he is a first team STARTER for arsenal, who are challenging on all fronts, he has excellent technique, generally good positional sence (improving all the time) a good deal of effort and tenacity as well as a nice range of passing

why risk burning him out with extra games at u-21 level? as far as i am concerned he should be starting for the mens team centrally on current form

12. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    I've already made my points on this issue. I am not rehashing it again.

13. Mike10

Mike10 Red Card

Apr 16, 2010
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZgY0ZxIDRQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Rohan Ricketts and Spurs and England Legend Chris Waddle. Golden moment![/ame]

14. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's right - the referees are also quite a bit too blame though, need more protection for skilful players otherwise they play those short passes and just get hammered from behind with no freekick given.

15. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've suggtested for years that if English football is to develop we need to adopt a more continental attitude to refereeing. It's one of many things that need to change outside of player development, another the the attitude of the average English fan. The average English fan is impatient and overrates 'commitment' and 'passion' but will claim otherwise.

16. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Rav The Chav (Morrison) has finally turned up again for United reserves. Came on as a sub and looked classy scoring a well taken goal (it was only a Rochdale reserve side though).

Last week end against United was my first chance to see the much sought after Alex Oxlade Chamberlain. He looked very impressive and real class.

Couldn't get in the Euro winning u17 squad but has now of course been picked for the u21s.

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Peacock didn't pick any wide players in that tournament.

18. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Pearce is right. Wilshere should go with the u21s to the Finals.

It's important we take these tournaments seriously. Like other nations do.

The same goes for the other lot as well.

19. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I caught something on Five Live the other night about "youth development" with Trev and another coach and some pundits. Trev was talking about the new type of player we are now developing (a bit kinda "Spanish"). He said around the 17/18 age group we now had about 4 or 5. I guess they would be - the obvious ones they were discussing Wilshere and McEachran and the well publicised Alex Chamberlain. Plus I would suggest Morrison and perhaps Fanimo.

Or would you take a different stab?

It's interesting how the pundits trot out the "Wilshere is in brilliant form" mantra. I'm expecting my Grannie to start spouting it to me soon - even though she doesn't follow football. In fact she's dead, so now I think about it, it's more than unlikely. But you get the idea. One overpaid thick football writer when listing his awesome qualities claimed he was two footed. Even my Grannie probably knows that is a ridiculous claim.

My concern with all this hype and exaggeration is that if he plays like he does for Arsenal and England come out of tonight's game badly people will turn on him.

In his defence people will claim he didn't play like he does for Arsenal (which is always awesome) and it's Capello's fault.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The only U17 England player I think they will be referring to is Chalobah.

There are a few others that could be considered in that bracket but it's hard to say for certain who they are going on about.

I think he is playing well but I don't think he will have any problems because I sort of agree with the bolded bit. Can't see anyone turning on him anyway.

21. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England
    What are your reasons behind that statement ?

22. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fact is, Wilshere, McEachran, Chamberlain and all the other players who play with that "Spanish" style will be bloody useless as long as they are surrounded by your typical English player with limited intelligence and skill. And that don't understand how to play with the more continental style of clever passing and movement. For that reason it's safe to say that the new generation of Englishmen will be bloody useless as long as the old generation doesn't leave first.

23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Phil Neville has had a go at lads who duck out of England u21s games in today's Times (picked up by other papers).

He could have included those who duck out of u19 games as well. Mind you the managers must have a role in all this.

24. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    What is that all about ?

25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008