The Big "Paucity of English Youth Talent" Debate!

Discussion in 'England' started by The Guardian, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    There was a bit about Morrison in a Henry Winter article interviewing Brian Marwood. I've taken some of the bits about youth stuff and put them below -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...out-Wayne-Rooney-thanks-to-Brian-Marwood.html

2. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Read that article when it was published.

It's a shame that City won't be able to deregister their kids from the schools to coach and educate before the age of 14. But it would be progress for them if they managed to work with the kids at a earlier age regardless.

3. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I was just checking the pictures of the united players getting off the bus. Eventually I spotted the little scally. He's on the bench - let's hope the little ********er gets on.

4. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
  5. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Legend is the word you are mispelling! :D

6. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It's always puzzled me why these top coaches at the academies don't insist players train to become at least reasonably proficient in using their "wrong" foot. The only person who seemingly tried to do that with Gareth Bale was his school PE teacher - not the professional coaches.

7. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    That's because in England we have heaps of shit coaches that are about as knowledgeable as Alan Shearer, Gary Lineker and Alan Hansen. But in all seriousness, kids are taught to use their weaker foot, I don't know what makes you think they aren't.

8. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Apparently there is only about ~2600 coaches in England with the UEFA badges. In Spain they have ~26,000 and even more in Germany. That sounds like a fundamental problem affecting English youth right there.

9. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    The dearth of top coaches in England is terrifying.

According to UEFA, “there are only 2,769 English coaches holding Uefa’s B, A and Pro badges, its top qualifications.” In comparison “Spain has produced 23,995, Italy 29,420, Germany 34,970 and France 17,588.”

10. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm pretty sure it was someone on this very forum who pointed out the falsehood of those statistics. I think it had something to do with it only counting UEFA qualified coaches.

11. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Did you know that in England there are on 2,600 coaches with UEFA badges whilst in other top European countries there are about 20,000? Just a funny fact I saw somewhere.

12. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    I'd love to see that.

It makes perfect sense to me.

Went to a coaching conference almost 2 years ago - not for myself, I just tagged along with my brother who was getting his coaching badges at the time.

But we were told the likes of Italy and France "have 10 times as many UEFA accredited coaches than England."

The original post I posted was just a copy and paste job from a very interesting article that I felt fit well in this conversation, ontop of the fact I felt it was a common fact that there is a severe lack of properly coached, coaches in the country.

Didn't STB make a massive rant about it as well a year or so ago?

13. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  14. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    I love it. Wait a few months until the disappointment of being proven shit in the World Cup is forgotten, and then begin the false optimism and media hype so that we can be favourites for the next World Cup. We are shit, and we will be shit until they actually DO something about it.

15. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The mindset of the fan needs to change as well. The English fan is notoriously impatient and you only have to listen to shite like TalkSport after an England defeat to hear cockney wankers going on about 'pashun'.

Running a lot does not make a good footballer, sadly there's a tendancy to think it does in this country even from those who know exactly what's wrong with our football.

16. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Thats a new one. The fans are impatient ? The fans have patience that no one else can touch considering the numbers that travel to every game we play allover the world . Afew talk show callers dont represent the fans that broke the bank to support the team allover the world . We go to a world cup and you can bet no other team will have half as many fans as us .

17. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    That, what you have just described, is not patience.

18. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    oh right ,continued loyal support for decades is not patience.
    Any fans who go to boo are only part timers anyway. When you pack in 90,000 for games after such a lean spell id say the general fan is patient ,but thats just me .Unless there is a different meaning for patience that i aint heard.

19. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    No you can't just disregard the fans that boo as part timers, and then heap praise on the 90,000 that attend Wembley. Often it is the 90,000 that would be the ones booing. Wembley is packed full of people attended their first football matches, and people with a limited interest in the sport.

English fans travel across the world for every match and sport, friendly or competitive, they have support for the teams but in no way should that suggest patience. Patience is giving someone time to achieve success, the English fans do not give anyone time. Were the fans patient after the world cup? No. They called for Capello's head, and ranted about Rooney, Carragher and Barry, things needed to be sorted NOW. Steven McClaren? No, they travelled all the way to Macedonia to boo him after 20 minutes because we weren't winning.

"Rob Green made a mistake! Drop him!" "Aaah why can't England produce any good goalkeepers!"

"Joe Hart played well for Man City! He's the best goalkeeper in the world!!!!"

I could go on but I think you see my point.

20. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    After the world cup we heard all the hype about the "wembley cauldron of hatred" for the Hungary game. But nothing happened really. The team got a pretty good reception in reality. Then travelled in big numbers to switzerland for the next away game .But in your mind there is 90,000 booing every game. You clearly live in a different reality where things get blown out of proportion and media comments get passed off as "fan opinion" .

This squad has had plenty of time to succeed when you have got a large chunk of them on who have been around for a decade. Saying they had "no time to succeed" before the boo birds came down on them is comical .

But back on topic with the whining about youth talent...
    before we get too far off track..

21. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nope I didn't say any of that. I think it's unfair you put words in my mouth then try to scamper off unscathed.

You said part timers boo'd, I said Wembley is often filled with part timers, combining both logics it means that the 90,000 in Wembley are the ones booing, that was my point, disproving your belief that the entire Wembley attendance goes there and sits patient as we stumble around.

I didn't say they had 'no time to succeed before the boo birds' either. I suggested that as soon as things go badly for England fans lose patience, booing after a match, general complaining. You seem to think I am attempting to defend a party, I am not. All I have done is successfully indicated that the England fans are not patient, and you at least to some extent seem to have accepted this which I am pleased with.

22. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001

Not really...
    Your pedantic ramblings didnt move my opinion on the issue.
    We'll have to agree to disagree .Though your postings could be the new cure for insomnia .

23. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Yet you are still awake. Interesting.

24. Mike10

Mike10 Red Card

Apr 16, 2010
    I think part of the "patience" issue is what we actually want as fans and what the team is capable of. Sinner you've said before we lack technique and intelligence, so what's there to be patient about. If we don't have them two things then we shouldn't expect the team to win anything. We're just there to support them. If they don't win the World Cup it shouldn't be seen as a massive failure. If we were to win the World Cup it doesn't mean everything is fine. Whether we win or not, we still have the same issues at grass-roots level (Muddy pitches, kids not playing after school etc, crap youth coaches etc)

The success shouldn't be completely measured on whether we win a world cup or not. The Spanish team have been playing together since they were 10 years old. What chance have we got? Especially if we don't get things right tactically. I think a great example is Greece. They don't have anywhere near the players we have, yet they played to their strengths which were being organised, defending well, and counter attacking and taking the few chances they got. Just because they won Euro 04 doesn't mean there youth set-up in brilliant or there football association is run perfectly.

Plus if you put together the trophies our players have, I am sure they will be up there with most countries. I don't see our youth academies as a failure. We've produced top world class players, who have gone on to have amazing careers, bar International Level. It's up to the next manager to get the best out of them, and to find a style that suits them.

25. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Young players are still the ones getting the blame when teams lose (or even draw). Even if they're not on the friggin' pitch. The FA are trying to get clubs to release players, particularly for Finals at youth level, yet Wenger is moaning about Wilshere going to the u21 finals in June.