The big "interesting articles and other general thoughts concerning Fussball in Germany" thread!

Discussion in 'Germany' started by F96, May 18, 2007.

1. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Super-mods, feel free to edit the title so that it's grammatically correct and makes sense! ;)

I think we need a thread where we can talk about everything that doesn't fit in one of the existing threads and can discuss interesting articles as well.

I just found this report and think it's pretty neat:
    Ze German Fussball Experience

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great find! DANKE!

3. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just found another one, even though it is in German:
    http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/0,1518,483410,00.html
    Maybe it will be posted in Spiegel international as well, I'll post it then. in general it is about English people who are fascinated by the Bundesliga, especially the connection between fans and the teams and players. It says that this makes it 'the best league in the world' and that people should, when they mourn about Germany's results in European competition, keep in mind that in order to change that a drastic increase in Ticket prices, a spilit up for pay TV and a less competitive league in itself would be the way to go an the results following that way.

4. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Yep. Everytime I get depressed about the fact that Wigan will have more money available than let's say Stuttgart I go to the Arsenal board or to standupsitdown and I am cured.

Man, do the old Arsenal fans hate their new stadium and atmosphere at the ground.

That article the Spiegel is talking about is great but at the same time it maybe a little blatantly pro-Schalke.
    I mean, Schalke is popular but is Schalke more popular than Bayern?

Not really on topic but I so loved this article:
    http://www.bremen4u.de/cityguide/sport_wellness/fussball/serie/zeigler/2007/101.jsp

God, I hate some of the songs the Ultras sing, especially most Dauergesänge (neverending songs) and also "Hannover ninety six" (stupid melodie and why English?).

The songs and creativity are definitly better in England. They are more spontaneous and they have lots of songs about different players which I like. Here all fans pretty much sing the same stuff. Years ago hardly anyone sang the Pippi-Song or did a Humba, now everyone is doing it. I dislike the most those songs that doesn't seem to support the team but rather the fans celebrating themselves.

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice article.

I had a great time last month at the Mönchengladbach - Hamburg match. They had the director in front of the HSV fans leading the way, pretty cool.

6. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    maybe just less hated or despised??

7. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That isn't that hard. At the same time, nobody in the Ruhr area like Schalke, and they have long-standing rivalries with HSV, Hertha and Bremen as well.
    And many people don't like Bayern, but don't really hate them... just think of them as boring and arrogant, not passionate enough to be hated. Now Schalke is a totally different story.

8. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  9. meininki

meininki Member

Nov 30, 2005
  10. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    What would you consider to be the best german football forum?

11. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bigsoccer?
    I think that most German football forums focussing on the whole of German football (or the whole Bundesliga) tend to lack in depth. Usually the official forums of each club tned to be good, but also a lot of fanforums have a good level. There is no good place I know where Germans debate about the Bundesliga alltogether.

12. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Yeah, that's why I'm here.
    Transfermarkt is not bad but has a lot of posters I consider arrogant and full of themselves. It's very matter-of-fact and I don't think I ever saw one attempt at humour in there.

Foros.de is not bad but I get the impression that most posters are <15 years old.

I really liked the stadionwelt forums even though they were limited to talk about stadiums. Some really knowledgable posters in there.

The others basically consists of endless flame-wars.

If there are decent ones out there with a fair amount of posters please someone post them because I don't know any.

13. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Erm..We are a Rühr club and you will have to look really hard to find anything but Schalkefans in certain areas.

But as the article goes it´s a bit overdone..SPORT&MARKT that keeps track of fanbases for TV-commercials have in their latest list Schalke at third place when we look at fanbases (which includes passive fans as well).
    Dortmund have a slight edge to us but Bayern is bigger than both S04 and BvB together...Must be an amazing number of TV-fans they got :D

14. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    That’s what I basically thought as well, just wanted to check around. It does seem weird that the best general german football forum is in English. There are probably a lot of pretty good club specific forums , but I’m not going to go through all of them. HSV’s forum is very good I think.

Yeah, I think I remember going there I few years ago, was dead serious.

15. Doc_Aeppler

Doc_Aeppler Member

May 27, 2003
    Frankfurt
    Well what does the guy expect? The DFL is working hard to throw out as many of the creative Fans as possible... Just look at the Videos of our U23 support where many of the Stadionverbotler are going... The repertoire of songs they have is nothing short of awesome!
    Its true tough that many german Ultra-groups are extremely wack...
    Many of them really need to look up what Ultra-mentality actually means.

16. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't really checked it out, but I could imagine that the message board at 11Freunde.de would be a little different due to the more high brow nature of the publication. http://www.11freunde.de/forum

17. super_bayern

super_bayern Member

Oct 26, 2006
    bavaria, germany
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i only know www.fussball-foren.net/ but i have no experiences with this forum so i can't say whether its good or not

18. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I bet this "high brow" nature makes it especially annoying :D.

19. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it could in the forum, but it makes the magazine a good read - most of the time.

20. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The thing is that the major German clubs got fanbases bigger than many countries..It would take an enormous Forum to cater for more than one of them.

I guess it´s the same in the other big leagues?

21. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I'm just full of prejudices, that's why I think it's a magazine for guys who wear strange glasses and listen to modern Britisch "rock" bands and stuff like this and therefore refuse to read it :D.

22. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    There are enormous boards. They just suck. See: Kicker's forum :D.

23. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I don't wear strange glasses or listen to the music you mention, but, yeah, the people who run the mag do have a love affair with many things English/British and that can be annoying.

24. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Don't ruin my stereotypes, please :D.

25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like British bands.

But I can't read German.

So I'm here and not at the High-brow forums ;)