The Big Bang Theory: General

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by JohnnyFutbol, Mar 21, 2013.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I just hope the characters aren't caricatures.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

I will say, I'm glad that they choose not to have Penny go back into acting.

I think what will happen is their engagement this season, and either next or the one after will be Shamey

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    How much longer do you think the show has?

How much longer do you think it should go?

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't they just renew the next season? I should go 1 more season, to wrap up both Leonard/Penny and Shamey.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The cast is locked up for another two seasons. Unless season nine gets disastrous ratings, I'm pretty sure we get two more seasons after this one.

6. Iranfootie

Iranfootie Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Me too...it has shown her increasing maturity. Recognizing that not only the Cheesecake Factory wasn't for her...but acting wasn't either.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Final scene got a huge eye roll from me.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Did you do the same several seasons ago when Penny didn't want Leonard to leave to that science cruise?

9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    me too.

yup.

sitruc repped this.
  10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did not like the last episode of the season. In one episode, almost everyone's relationship (except Howard) is in question?

Disappointing season.

sitruc repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't like the way Leonard dropped that bomb, found it to be unnecessary. That was also a strange turn for Raj, too. But, could be leading to something positive. Going to be interesting to see how his girlfriend fits in with the rest of the crew if she stays. As for Sheldon, I would have liked to see some lead up to the ring thing. I understand the Amy part, and could see it coming for a couple of seasons, but the ring was a bit OTT.

sitruc repped this.
  12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think they are working up to a break-up with Emily.
    Either because they want to introduce another love interest for Raj, or prefer him as the perpetual bachelor he used to be?
    Perhaps they don't really like the character or actress they have him paired with right now?

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking the opposite.

Penny and Leonard nearly/did break up and end of a season.
    Sheldon ran away (from Amy) at the end of last season (or 2 seasons ago?).
    Didn't Howard and Bernadette have a problem at the end a few seasons back?

It is a pattern.

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yeah, but the reason I think this time is different is that the dynamic isn't as powerful as when they paired Howard with Bernie or Amy with Sheldon. Both quickly fell into their own quirky back-and-forths. They tried to do this with Emily by alluding to her somewhat macabre tastes and Raj's unease about them, but it hasn't really brought forth the comedic reward.

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is kind of Raj in general. He is about the only one who we don't have much info about what goes on in his lab. Hell, we know more about what Berni and Amy do than Raj.

sitruc repped this.
  16. Iranfootie

Iranfootie Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I think she should fit in. She's got the intellectual smarts of Bernie and Amy while also being a little kinky/freaky/goth which Penny would understand (even though she's not Goth).

Does anyone find it believable that Penny would NOT cheat on Leonard in the 5 years theyve been together?

soccernutter and sitruc repped this.
  17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Their entire relationship already requires some suspension of disbelief, so that aspect of it seems like a mere detail to me.

soccernutter and sitruc repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is his title? Didn't he get some award years ago that went to his head.

19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been watching reruns. He got some astronomy award in season 2 or 3 I think.

20. Iranfootie

Iranfootie Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Ironically, in real life, the actors actually dated for 2 years. I'm curious, how does their entire relationship require suspension of disbelief?

Cute blonde ditzy girl wanting to be actress moves in next door. Discovers a smart guy is interested in her. She has a series of unsuccessful relationships with the "guys from the gym" and discovers a smart guy that won't break her heart.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Because they are actors playing characters as opposed to their real-life equivalents?

[​IMG]

Johnny Galecki isn't a nerdish, lactose intolerant physicist but a wealthy actor in real life (who IIRC owns quite a lot of real estate in and around Los Angeles). It would make sense for him to hook up with a fellow actor, especially one whom he shares a lot of time with co-starring on the same show.

On the other hand, Penny and Leonard occupy totally different universes. To the point where this was originally the premise of the entire show: have an aspiring actress/waitress meet four intelligent but socially awkward geniuses.

sitruc repped this.
  22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The suspension of disbelief would be if they interacted they way they did when the friendship developed, but neither of them changed. Penny dated. Leonard dated. And then they finally dated each other. And it happened to work. It is a fairly natural progression. Plus, Penny has been written as wanting to become successful and more intelligent over the years, and her character has had that happen. It's fun to watch the reruns and see how she changed from the hot, ditzy blonde across the hall, to the clueless neighbor, to the one trying to understand the conversation, to one actually trying to learn, to one gaining knowledge (in spurts), to a concerted effort (the season with her in college), to where she is today.

23. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Nice nerds end up with the girl once the girl gets sick of the jerk guys at the gym and goes for "nice guy" that will treat her well.

24. Iranfootie

Iranfootie Member

Dec 20, 2006
    True. Obviously Johnny Galecki isn't a nerdish lactose intolert physics. But, he became wealthy BECAUSE of the Big Bang Theory...like Kaley. But from the show, Penny, as an aspiring actress/current waitress at the Cheesecake Factory was tired of dating the good looking guys who would always break their heart. Either they would spill their sex life on the Internet like the one dude in season 1 (Mike I think?). An there are pretty actresses that date the nerdy guys. Like Sophia Bush dated a Google engineer who tragically passed away in an earthquake in Nepal, etc.

But you do make a good point. :)

25. BellJey

BellJey New Member

Jun 9, 2015
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
    I love the show!! I love all the characters and where they are and was so happy with the seasons!!