The BIG 2019

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by WolverineFutbol, Apr 30, 2019.

1. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    UW has a really strong team this year, AND they’re best player didn’t play against UM (Blake Bodily).

WolverineFutbol repped this.
  2. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Depending on how cold it has been, MD's field might look like the photo below, as it's a Bermuda grass field, and thus it turns brown pretty quickly after a couple of frosts / freezes. Also the stands on the team side of the field are about 20 or so yards from the pitch, as there is a track between the stands and the field. The stands on the other side of the field are actually on the track during soccer season, and in the past have gone up about twelve or so rows.

This venue should be able to get some good crowds depending on who is playing. Of course, if MD is playing -- which has been the case for 4 out of the 5 years that MD has been in the B1G -- it will be packed.

[​IMG]

WolverineFutbol and TimB4Last repped this.
  3. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    100% accurate. I always sit on the "locker" room side specifically because it's a better view. Also, the seats are more comfortable than the steel bleachers on the press box side. Even when I could sit in the press box, I'd sit on the other side, just a better view of the match.

Couple of notable things.
    • Tickets can be expensive, at 1 time the highest price in college soccer, IIRC $20 for weekend B10/ACC matches.
    • No bags (which includes backpacks - I think large purses, but can't confirm independently!). They allow small clear bags and seat cushions (which is where I put my notebook).
    • Locker rooms are temporary trailers.
    • Porto-potties on the locker room side. A permanent bathroom on the press box side.
    • Concessions are a little pricey for college soccer, but cheaper than DC sports events.
    • Parking is generally abundant and FREE (except for weekday game days). Early Friday match may be iffy (if it starts before 5pm), but I expect that DOTS won't ticket around the match.
    • Players/coaches from either team are easily accessible after the match.
    • Gates open 1 hour before game time.
    • For those on the pass list, there's a hidden gate, just to the right of the main ticket window.

WolverineFutbol, TimB4Last and bhoys repped this.
  4. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    #29 bhoys, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    And of course, any game at Ludwig with MD playing will include a "welcome" from The Crew, especially for the other team's GK, as documented in this short video: (interesting to note that the two GKs in this 2009 video are Evan Bush (then playing for Akron) and Chris Seitz (then playing for Maryland), and both still playing in the MLS ten years later).

5. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I watched the Michigan/Omaha match. Michigan was just a few inches away on several shots that could have won the game. I wonder if they were affected by travel arrangements (or the fact it was Friday the 13th!). Hallahan is impressive! Omaha's coach was previously HC at Penn State from 2010 to 2017, so he would be familiar with UM.
    Omaha has built a roster out of international and transfer players. They have talent but don't seem to be "clicking" yet. Conference play start Oct. 5. I hope it comes together by then.

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I feel I should receive partial credit for Friday's result:

Maryland 1-3 Northwestern

Now let's see if I similarly inspired Ohio State, Rutgers and Penn State.

7. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Michigan appears to be shaping up with a 2-0 win over OSU, and 3-0 over Northwestern. That continues a run of three games without giving up a goal. I’m hoping the Wolverines can maintain their good form. This week will be telling as they have a non-conference game they “should” win, then a showdown with Indiana. All they have to do is win the games. Go Blue! :thumbsup:

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    BIG TEN CONFERENCE (all 9 advance)

Seeding complete

(1) Indiana
    (2) Penn State
    (3) Michigan
    (4) Northwestern

(5) Maryland

(6) Michigan State
    (7) Wisconsin
    (8) Ohio State
    (9) Rutgers

Courtesy of @gauchodan

OverseasView repped this.
  9. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    (2) Penn State vs (3) Michigan @ 4:00 ET
    (1) Indiana vs (5) Maryland @ 7:00 ET

It looks like the first game is broadcast live on BTN, but the second game isn’t shown on BTN until midnight ET. Live streams are also available.

I won’t be surprised by any of these teams winning the tournament, but I’m hoping this is the year that Michigan puts it all together and wins it. Go Blue! :thumbsup:

TimB4Last repped this.
  10. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    The 7pm game can be watched live on the Fox Sports App.

TimB4Last repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Penn State 0-1 Michigan in the middleweight match.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Indiana 1-0 Maryland in the heavyweight match.

Indiana v Michigan Sunday afternoon in the final.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Indiana 0-0 Michigan after regulation and two scoreless overtime periods.

Indiana prevails 4-3 on PKs.

14. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Congrats to Indiana! Great and well played game.

Good luck to Indiana, Penn State, Maryland and the Wolverines at the NCAA tourney. Let’s get (at least) three in the College Cup!

BigRedFootie and TimB4Last repped this.
  15. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Can the B1G do that this year? It looks like the brackets are set up so that two is the most number of B1G teams possible for the College Cup.

16. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Some might think about throwing a spammer in the works....;) Go Raiders!