The BIG 2017

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by WolverineFutbol, Jun 16, 2017.

1. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    #26 stphnsn, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    B1G standings are interesting this season. 3 undefeateds at the top. then michigan with a strong one-loss record. at the bottom are 3 strugglers with only 1 win between them. i don't remember the league ever being this imbalanced in recent years.

what are the tiebreakers? 4 teams still have a chance at the regular season title.

IU are at MSU next Sunday.
    Maryland play Michigan.

2. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    #27 gauchodan, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    These have been the rules:

All teams shall be seeded based on the ending Conference standings with 3 points awarded for a win, 1 point for a tie and 0 points for a loss. (Effective 5/96). Ties for seeding will be broken as follows:

A. Head-to-head results
    B. Goal difference between goals scored in all Conference games
    C. Comparison of total goals scored in all Conference games
    D. Best record by points (3-win, 1-tie, 0-loss) versus teams in descending rank order
    E. Coin flip

So,
    The top 4 play each other on the final Sunday of the regular season:
    • Indiana at Michigan State
    • Michigan at Maryland
    Michigan cannot finish first, or in a tie for first. There can be an outright champion, a two-way tie or a three-way tie among the other three.

Head-to-head
    Maryland drew with Indiana and Michigan State, so two draws next Sunday would result in a head-to-head-to-head deadlock.

Conference goal difference
    Indiana +11
    Maryland +10
    Michigan State +9

Conference goals
    Maryland 14
    Indiana 13
    Michigan State 12

Record in descending order
    vs. Michigan: Michigan State W, Indiana D, Maryland (yet to play)
    vs. Wisconsin: Indiana W, Maryland W, Michigan State D
    vs. Ohio State: all W
    vs. Northwestern: all W
    vs. Penn State: all W
    vs. Rutgers: all W

Taking a second look at it, the winner of the Indiana-Michigan State game will be the Big Ten champion because they will have thus won the head-to-head-to-head. If, however, that game results in a draw, Maryland can claim the title with a victory over Michigan. If Maryland loses or draws AND Indiana-Michigan State draw, Indiana takes the crown on goal differential.

BigRedFootie, OverseasView and stphnsn repped this.
  3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    dan the man. thanks.

4. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    :geek:Is the coin biased?

5. mike the mas

mike the mas Member

Feb 19, 2017
    If Michigan wins and state and IU draw, Michigan wins the title outright.

BigRedFootie and Real Mobile repped this.
  6. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    Well, I screwed that up, didn't I?

7. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    So, there's a chance...

8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, after Ohio State's best start [in like 10 years], they are in a 6-game skid. Non-conference matchup tonight against UK. Both teams need a win to get back on track.

9. I Love the game

Jun 20, 2005
    Make that a 7-game skid. Lots of skid marks. With these supposed top recruiting classes the last several years this only says the coaching must suck.

10. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    Michigan defeats Maryland in 2OT, after Indiana and Michigan State drew, so the Wolverines leapfrog everyone to win the Big Ten regular-season title.

Real Mobile repped this.
  11. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    BIG TEN CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT
    1st Round

(9) Rutgers vs. (8) Northwestern at Ann Arbor, MI

Quarterfinals
    (5) Wisconsin at (4) Maryland
    (6) Ohio State at (3) Michigan State
    (7) Penn State at (2) Indiana
    Rutgers/Northwestern at (1) Michigan

WolverineFutbol repped this.
  12. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Still buzzing from yesterday's victory and my Wolverines winning the BIG regular season championship! The boys deserved it.

For the BIG tourney, the Wisconsin-Maryland opening matchup should be interesting with the Badgers needing to do well in the tourney to get a NCAA bid, and with the Terps badly needing a victory to get back on the winning path. I'll predict overtime with Terps winning due to home field advantage.

I'm not sure what's happened to Ohio State, but they probably need to run the table to get in the NCAA tourney. I'll pick MSU.

Indiana of course are the heavy favorites over Penn State, and I'll (not so) boldly predict Indiana.

Good luck to everyone and Go Blue!

OverseasView and Real Mobile repped this.
  13. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    I am very pleased with the Wolverines' road victory over Maryland and B1G Championship. Hope they can stay healthy and play well in the tournaments.
    Go Blue! :thumbsup:

OverseasView repped this.
  14. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Wow! Maryland's losing streak continues as Wisconsin knocks them out of the B1G tournament and MSU gets bumped by Ohio State. Michigan handles Northwestern, 4-1, while Indiana and Penn State wait for Monday. This is already a very interesting tournament.

WolverineFutbol and OverseasView repped this.
  15. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    It definitely is interesting! I don't see Penn State beating Indiana, but as yesterday's results show, BIG tourney games are always tough.

Go Blue!

16. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    hoosiers dominated the first half but no goals. then swartz just pissed a penalty. it feels like one of those days...

17. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Precisely. Nobody can finish. 31 shots for IU, 12-0 SOG, score still tied at full time.

OverseasView repped this.
  18. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    hoosiers scored in the 97th minute. hopefully they pack their shooting boots before they head north on friday.

19. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    And by virtue of beating PSU, IU drops to 5th in the RPI...