The BIG 2017

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by WolverineFutbol, Jun 16, 2017.

1. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Real Mobile and JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  2. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    I'm curious to know what happened during spring soccer. I've found no coverage of Michigan. I must be missing something. Any good links or news would be appreciated.

3. Newports

Newports Member

Jan 19, 2012
    It's always been an unwritten Spring rule that you don't report match scores. Now some obviously do it. But I would guess most don't? Anyway the word usually gets out.

4. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    As Newsports noted, most schools don't release info regarding Spring ball. We lost 2-0 to MSU but I have no other scores.

My take on 2016 is that so many double OT losses were not easy to overcome. The two double OT games to start the season in Florida (USF and FGCU) and the two double OT losses to Maryland stood out, but they were hardly isolated: overall, the team played nine double overtime games and went 0-5-4, including 0-5-1 in BIG games.

In 2017, the Wolverines have to avoid so many overtime periods, and that means scoring! Atuahene, Mertz, Cerda and Callahan are returning attacking starters, so if one or two of the other returners step up offensively or one or two of the new recruits can score/assist, we should be a lot better. I think the loss of four attackers to graduation all at once (McAtee, Murphy, Mellors-Blair and VanSlooten) hurt the offense last year.

If everyone stays healthy this year, I expect a strong attacking Wolverine team. Go Blue!

Real Mobile repped this.
  5. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    BIG 10 recruiting for 2017 looks strong.

College Soccer News ranks four BIG schools in the top 15:

Indiana, #4
    Ohio State, #7
    Michigan, #9
    Maryland, #12

Also, USLPDL just ranked Michigan's Francis Atuahene as its #1 pro prospect.

Go Blue!

Real Mobile repped this.
  6. bhoys

bhoys Member+

Aug 21, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  7. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Season preview for Michigan 2017:

http://www.mgoblue.com/news/2017/8/14/season-preview-2017-michigan-mens-soccer.aspx?path=msoc

Some young guys may need to get up to speed quickly. If they do, the Wolverines should be a lot deeper on the attacking side of the ball than last year. It will be interesting to see if Chaka goes with a 4-3-3 again, or a 4-4-2, or both depending upon the line-up.

I like Stevens, Mertz and Cerda as Captains; all three are hard working and selfless.

Verdi and Mattia appear to be in a good contest for starting GK; I think we may see both early on (no inside info, just a semi- educated guess).

Good luck to all the BIG teams. Let's get the season started, and Go Blue!

8. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    I was pleased to see Michigan start their season with a win, 1-0, over William and Mary. It appears that some of the new guys can play. What's the story behind the zero minutes from Atuahene and Cerda?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  9. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Cerda and Atuahene were held out due to what I believe are minor injuries (both warmed up).

So far the freshmen look good! Go Blue!

10. gsterp

gsterp Member+

Jul 16, 2003
    College Park
    Not that losing at Wake is anything to be ashamed of, but it would be real nice for the whole league if Rutgers wasn't a complete tire fire his season.

11. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    is Michigan State really not streaming their games this weekend?

12. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Is there a stream for the Michigan - Wisconsin match?

13. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maryland 0-0 Indiana 2OT

That was some kind of match! A great exhibition of college soccer! I would have liked a goal, just like everyone else, but there was real talent, tactics, and courage displayed.

I salute both sides. I would give the edge to Hoosiers for creating more danger.

Sandon Mibut and Real Mobile repped this.
  14. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Michigan 1 - Indiana 1, @ Indiana.
    It looked pretty even to me. Both teams created chances, made mistakes, and scored goals. Stats are even and that's how I saw it.
    Two good teams that should get better as the season progresses.
    Michigan definitely picked up some talented new players. I look forward to the rest of the season. Hopefully Atuahene gets healthy soon. Go Blue!

WolverineFutbol repped this.
  15. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    Agreed. UM definitely wanted it more than IU for the last 75 minutes!

16. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Michigan hosts Michigan State on BTN at noon ET. Wish I was in Ann Arbor today.
    I assume that Atuahene is out for Michigan, but the rest of the Wolverines have looked pretty good this year. Should be a good match with two undefeated rivals facing off.
    Go Blue! :thumbsup:

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Top of the Big Ten is really good this year. MSU, Michigan, IU, Maryland and Ohio State all in the top 25 of the RPI. Gonna be a grind for these teams and the BT Tournament is gonna be fun.

18. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    MSU wins in OT, IU wins fairly easily over NU.

19. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Despite injuries in their back line, and a straight red for Atuahene with an hour top play, Michigan beat Northwestern 3-1, in Ann Arbor. I guess all the injuries and red cards will help to develop their depth, but I'd like to see Michigan polish their first choice guys. They have a lot of potential, but it seems they're always playing with guys out hurt or suspended.
    After seeing two straight reds in three matches, maybe they need to find a new referee pool.

20. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    After being a bit down last year, the BIG has started 2017 strong. Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Wisconsin and (God help us) Ohio State and Michigan State are all off to good starts. It should be a close race to the last weekend, and I wouldn't be surprised if six teams make it to the NCAA tourney.

As Real Mobile noted, Michigan has suffered from a flurry of injuries and a couple of red cards. Assuming everyone gets healthy and stays eligible, the Wolverines are deep and could make a decent run if they peak at the right time.

Go Blue!

Real Mobile repped this.
  21. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Well... apparently I hexed the Wolverines with my earlier post.

Final:

Oakland 2, Michigan 1

For the good of the team, I'll refrain from further posting till the BIG tourney. Good luck to everyone and Go Blue!

JoeSoccerFan and OverseasView repped this.
  22. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Wolverines seem to be getting healthier. I hope they're ready for ND. How can I watch the UM-ND game? It looks like there's a stream, but is that available on espn or what?

23. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    Yes, just click on the link and it will ask you to provide your sign in info for your cable/internet provider. After giving that info, you can watch for free (ACC Network if I recall correctly).

24. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Sounds good to me. I was afraid I might need a paid subscription to the ACC network. Thanks.
    Go Blue!

25. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the OSU v. Maryland game. Game was not as close as scoreline indicated.

Maryland missed two penalties! OSU didn't have any shots in the first half.