The Bicycle Kick

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by schwuppe, Dec 19, 2013.

1. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    #1 schwuppe, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    I'm sure most of you are aware of the story about Leonidas Da Silva being the inventor of the bicycle kick.

From wikipedia:

Now in this video from the WC '34 Final there is footage of two Italian players doing a bicycle kick like it's no big deal:

@4:46

I know the story says that Leonidas did it 2 years prior, but what is the likeliness that this move is spread in 2 years around the world and done by two players in one game? Now about the rest of the article.... that's kind of exposed then.

Anyone with more information or footage?

(My personal opinion of course is that it was first done by some random player we never heard of years, maybe even decades prior.)

JamesBH11 and Gregoriak repped this.
  2. Lucas...

Lucas... Member+

Dec 18, 2012
    Once I read that Ramón Unzaga Asla is touted as the inventor in Chile, or the first player to popularize the bicycle kick ("chilena"). Leonidas, before his death, few times said that it was not the creator, just popularized and getting the credits.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramón_Unzaga

schwuppe repped this.
  3. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Thanks, just like I thought.

4. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    This discussion has a long data, between Chile and Peru.

The older player presented by chilean is Ramon Unzaga (defender) who popularized it in an international match (i think, SA championship 1920), but the first report comes from 1918, in a inter-province XI match, which played the same player.

After that, another chilean, David Arellano, made the bicycle kick in the european tour of Colo Colo at 1927.

In the case of peruvians, the first documented play was made by Alejandro Villanueva, who scored in a match between Lima XI and Ica XI in the national championship of 1924. That move was called "Caracol".

But, before that was also know as "Chalaca" for being made by an unknow player from Callao.
    http://dechalaca.com/informes/curiosidades/el-huevo-o-la-gallina

JamesBH11 and schwuppe repped this.
  5. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
  6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Everyone knows that Doug Ellis (former chairman of Aston Villa) invented it while working on a ship in the 1950s. That footage must have been doctored to hide the truth. Probably by Birmingham City fans.

Cyclonis repped this.
  7. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    I don't get it. :sick:

8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Doug Ellis, former Aston Villa chairman, claimed that he invented the bicycle kick while playing for the Royal Navy, sometime after WWII.

Obviously, given the fact it was commonplace prior to then in South America he's talking bollocks.

condor11 and schwuppe repped this.
  9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #9 JamesBH11, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    I remember reading an article that Leonidas did say, he was not sure himself as the 'inventor" of that bicycle kick ... but certainly he was the one who made it "worldwide" known ....

The "idea" of Chalaca claimed by Peru and Chile (debatable from 1925-1935)

[​IMG]

Then came Leonedas in ACTIONS (1934?)

[​IMG]

==========================================================

However the one who PERFECTED the bicycle kick was Pele --- in real game 1960's. and in

[​IMG]

.. all heights ..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

all angles .

[​IMG]

all kinda challenge ...

[​IMG]

and ... all exaggeration

[​IMG]

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Many might be amazed with Rooney bicycle kicks in last few years back...
    but they might not realize Nobby Stiles has done that years ago back in 1966 in ManU shirt:

[​IMG]

11. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Thanks for making me laugh, James. :D

12. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    #12 msioux75, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  13. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    That's Alejandro Villanueva's cartoon.
    btw, in Dechalaca's article it says that unnoficially Unzaga makes the Bicycle Kick in 1914 for the first time.

14. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I see once a webpage dating that a peruvian player made it circa 1912, but no source quoted, as the Villanueva's play in 1924.

So, the peruvian roots for Bicycle Kick or Chalaca remained in Oral Tradition that a certain player from Callao, made it at the end of XIX century in a match between peruvians and foreign sailors (British and/or Chileans).

And the name of that move, was known as Chalaca, due to his performer was a Chalaco (person born in Callao) and was know since the beginnings of peruvian football.

Pipiolo repped this.