The best uniforms of all time - your personal favorites?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by leadleader, Nov 11, 2017.

1. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1 leadleader, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    As the title of the thread pretty much conclusively explains: Which uniforms (of any era) would you describe as your personal favorites??

My selection so far (in order of preference or importance):

1. Barcelona 2005-06 (Home); quite possibly my favorite, my only conceivable complaint would be the lack of a classical collar to go with the bright colors; but nonetheless, an exquisite balance between elegance, simplicity, and bright-colored-but-composed-flair. It's one of those uniforms that looks much better in motion, than in pictures. The colors are just perfect: the blue and the red are colorful enough, and yet subtle enough - quite possibly my favorite uniform of all time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Barcelona 2011-12 (Home); a close second, simply gorgeous - easily good enough to be my first pick any other day. An instant classic in the eyes of many Barcelona fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Real Madrid 2002-03 (Home); Madrid's all-too-familiar 'all white' kit has always been the minimalistic monochromatic style that I like to see in uniforms, but the 2002-03 edition was probably my favorite.

[​IMG]

4. Villarreal 2005-06 (Home and Away); the light-canary-yellow uniform of 2005-06 was one of the most distinctive uniforms I've seen, with the turtle-neck-like-collar, and also with the unorthodox overall proportions of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Juventus 1999/2000 (Home);
    the uniform worn by probably the best version of Zidane (arguably at club level and also with the French national team) out of all the versions of him, is probably my favorite Juventus kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    For me, the zenith of shirts is early 80s Juventus. Specifically the 1982-83 season with the Scudetto patch included.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Even the 'Ariston' sponsor logo made the shirt look class. Sponsorship on shirts wasn't allowed on European nights back then and although some may have welcomed that I always thought it took away from the look of that particular shirt. But then, I had access to watching lots of Serie A highlights at the time and so was very used to the logo.

[​IMG]

song219, Afghan-Juventus and La-Máquina repped this.
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Argentina 1998 GK shirt:

[​IMG]

USA 2005-6 full kit. IIRC, they wore the white shorts once and it was perfect. In any case, this is the best kit the USA has ever had and they should have kept it.

[​IMG]

Brasil 1978, because it's the last time they wore Adidas (no photo)

Croatia 1998- my favorite shirt ever

[​IMG]

Mexico Aztec face shirt

[​IMG]

Celtic 2002 third shirt. Love the green and the bold logo

[​IMG]

Italy 1986, because of the way Diadora worked the colors into the collar and cuffs. For whatever reason, the team's shirts did not have the logo in 1986, but at least the later models have them.

[​IMG]

Here's another shot of them v. Argentina. What's interesting is, Argentina wore LeCoq but appear to have Adidas socks on. Anyone have an answer?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nottingham Forest (away) 93-95[​IMG]
    Nottingham Forest (home) 92-94
    [​IMG]
    Nottingham Forest (home) 90-92
    [​IMG]
    Nottingham Forest (away) 77-79
    upload_2017-11-14_7-44-28.jpeg

And being less biased:!
    Chelsea (home) 95-97
    [​IMG]
    Manchester United (home) 92-94
    upload_2017-11-14_7-46-44.jpeg
    Tottenham (home) 78-80
    upload_2017-11-14_8-2-50.jpeg
    Netherlands (away) 1974
    [​IMG]

Manchester City (home) 15-16
    [​IMG]
    Juventus (home) 85-86
    [​IMG]

If I try to order a top 8, and favour the shirt itself over sentimentality maybe I go with:
    1 - Chelsea (home) 95-97
    2 - Forest (away) 93-95
    3 - Tottenham (away) 78-80
    4 - Forest (home) 90-92
    5 - Netherlands (away) 1974
    6 - Juventus (home) 85-86
    7 - Forest (away) 77-79
    8 - Manchester United (home) 92-94

La-Máquina and Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I was thinking about goalkeeper shirts now too, and actually this time I think a Nottingham Forest one might genuinely be my favourite even if was never a Forest fan (but I guess it's impossible to say truly!) - the one from 83-85
    1983-84 Spurs v Notts Forest 2-1 - YouTube
    For another choice I'm really not sure, but I feel like even though it was a pretty basic shirt there was something classic about the England 1966 yellow jersey (maybe especially when the team played in red like in the Final of the World Cup), so off the top of my head maybe I choose that as the next option
    1966 World Cup Final in Colour (with BBC commentary!!!).mp4 - YouTube

6. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6 carlito86, Jan 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  7. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sounders, before MLS, had Nike as their shirt sponsor, with just the swoosh all big up front. I really liked that. Can't have that now, but I'll say I find it interesting that adidas has never been a shirt sponsor in MLS that I can recall, even though they are the kit supplier. Their wordmark would look good, kind of like on Bayern Munich back in the day. I admit, I don't understand all the relevant legalities.

8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #8 PuckVanHeel, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    Not as successful but I think the 2008 kit is often seen as one of the most aesthetically pleasing, with the blue socks and white shorts.

[​IMG]

The away kit is 'historically' white (the white/black scheme has always been avoided, also pre-war) or blue of color.

This had (at the beginning) certain symbolisms as well, not least of which a 'counterforce' against the House of Orange (the King/stadtholder).

That goes back many centuries, but I think that symbolism is nowadays forgotten and virtually nobody knows this. If and when the monarchy gets abolished, with support levels dropping ever since the 90s (from 95+% to 60-65%), it is hard to see a switch in shirt color like Brazil or Liverpool happening. It will 'forever' be Orange. Maybe I am wrong but for me it is unthinkable.

It is however good to note white and blue did not come out of the sky (until the late 1930s we had also a different national anthem because the current one was seen as too one sided pro-Orange, despite the phrases about "German blood" and "respect the King of Spain"). Many abroad are familiar with where the color Orange comes from.

Also note how the shade of Orange - for many in itself an ugly color - has changed over time as well.

The 'tragedy' is the 1970s population was a lot younger in absolute under-20 numbers and something like this does not help a lot either (or needs to be dealt with).

PDG1978 repped this.
  9. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, that 2008 kit had a 'classic' sort of vibe to it I guess, with the pure colour blocks of orange, white and light blue. Maybe the relatively expansive/joyful style of play (like I mentioned the other day, to an extent unexpected, and the same might be said about the results vs Italy and France in terms of the decisiveness of the scorelines especially, even if Italy and France would to some extent be expected to be declined from 2 years before) helps in terms of it being remembered fondly too and of course that would apply to the 1988 shirt/kit too although maybe the orange colour went well with that particular design (the USSR's light red version probably doesn't stick in the memory so well - of course they didn't have the Van Basten 'Cruyff turn esque' goal vs England or wonder volley of the Final to embed it so well though for example).

Yeah, I remember looking at the history of the Dutch flag a while ago. I did like that white 1974 kit, with the orange socks and numbering though, especially 'in motion' I think (although again it can be enhanced a bit by the football being played by the team wearing it, and especially the goals vs Brazil for example I guess).

Every now and again I remember a kit I might have included in my post lol (especially if I'd put less Forest ones in), but I think on the whole I probably picked out my favourite ones pretty well when I made it. I made a typo in the post you quote though I think, as it was the Tottenham home kit I picked out for the late 70s, not the away kit of course.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Some of the other ones which had come to mind to add to my original posts #4 and #5 (although that Forest goalkeeper top was used by other clubs I think actually, or something very similar was around that time - but I guess the tree on it does make it unique in a way and that emblem suits it pretty well!). It can be I remember and forget them though, so there'd be others too!

Yugoslavia from the late 80s (some of the quite similar blue French national team kits come to mind too though)

Netherlands 1988 indeed
    THE GREATEST SHIRT: HOLLAND 88 (copa90.com)
    Barcelona 89/90 (and nearby season/s) - footage is a bit grainy here but it's another I like in motion I think, though Barcelona's passing movements, Laudrup's play etc adds to that impression obviously

Newcastle United 95-97

Blackburn Rovers 94-96 (I'll cancel out Forest bias by posting a 7-0 loss lol)

England 2012 blue away
    [​IMG]

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  12. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #12 PuckVanHeel, Mar 31, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    Had forgotten this :oops::

"The first official match of the Dutch national team took place on April 30, 1905, but there had already been matches of a 'Dutch national team'. In 1894 the English Felixtowe visited the Netherlands and on the occasion of that match a 'bond team' was composed with the best football players in the Netherlands. However, there was hardly any question of a team. That was not only reflected in the result, the Netherlands lost 1-0 to the English, but also on the field. The Dutch players all wore the shirt of the club they normally played for. And so the 'Dutch team' came onto the field in no less than five different shirts. In the years that followed, such a 'federal team' was composed more often, but they still played in a mixed bag of uniforms.

White with red-white-blue
    On April 30, 1905, there was finally an official match of the Dutch national team. In Antwerp, the Dutch took on the Belgians. The Dutch national team did play in a real team shirt this time. The game ended after extra time with 1-4, in favor of the Netherlands. But that success was not yet orange. The first shirt of the Dutch national team was still white, with red-white-blue stripes diagonally across it. A shirt that came back in the 2006 away kit.

The Netherlands becomes 'orange'
    Two years later, the Netherlands entered the field for the first time in an orange shirt. On April 14, 1907, the Dutch national team again played against the southern neighbors. The Dutch had a new uniform, which was described by the Algemeen Handelsblad as: 'the new national costume, orange shirt and white pants.' A uniform that we still know today, because these colors have been used often since then. It was during the same match that the Dutch lion ['Leo Belgicus'] also made her appearance on the football uniform. And whether it was due to the colors or not, the Netherlands won 3-1."
    https://isgeschiedenis.nl/nieuws/sinds-wanneer-speelt-nederland-in-het-oranje

So when Belgium won with 5-0 in above mentioned game (the "red devils" game), the northerners had not played in Orange yet.

[​IMG]

It supports my above 'story' though about the symbolism of the colors and the anthems (it can be added, too, the 1990s were arguably a high point for the support or indifference).

Now the reveal... like you (away '74) I find indeed the away shirts the nicest to see!

PDG1978 repped this.
  13. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I think I find 'on average' the French shirts of the last 10 years the nicest

[​IMG]

14. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #14 PuckVanHeel, Apr 2, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    That's an interesting point and wikipedia article. It did change from orange to red after about 100 years.

[​IMG]
    (per my own understanding and conjecture by historians, the red-white-blue colors were in turn a nod, too, to the French royal Henry IV - who was 'friendly' to the Huguenots and protestants; later on, the official motto of the country became French and remains so to this day)

So maybe it can all change indeed (I see the English wikipedia page of the national team mentions the symbolism of the color orange, but not the other colors). The 'drive to survive' netflix series displays numerous fans with those flags, numerous 'correct' flags, and they are almost as visible as the color orange.

White and blue are used as the away uniform, with red unused for reasons not hard to guess.

The Royal Decree of 1937 to declare red as the correct color and not orange is a classic move to defuse a potentially contentious 'problem' (the Belgian post-war referendum about the monarchy shows where it might lead to). Other classics are the way the christians and their bottom-to-top hierarchy paved the way for euthanasia, abortion until 24 weeks, cannabis etc. but also the ending of the pensions for priests. Or the nominating of a female prime minister in 1963, which she (Mrs. Klompe) rejected because it was "maximum exposure, very limited actual influence."

I think the royals have been moved into a trickier position (well, it is the reason I came to realize about what all those shirt colors mean!). Traditionally and intrinsically the 'liberals' and direct predecessors are no friends, just as the populists and the (fragmented) left. The strongholds are the christians, but those seem to be heading towards the exit.

I see comments of this nature and also the handling of the finances issue as a thinly concealed attempt to take the mystique away. The quality of the current christian leader is embarrassing (the uttered qualification by his colleagues/rivals is "genânt" - a common daily used word), especially when this and this (he has to go soon...) is the benchmark.

Not that symbolism equals fundamentalism and trench-warfare - see the socks (even if it is the alternate color, with the opponent having first pick)
    [​IMG]

I liked this one:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, very friendly of the Qatarians to grant us the opening/kick-off game! In spite of the full frontal assault by the (always entertaining) Van Gaal. Let's hope he can make some soup of his squad.

It genuinely is possibly a problem for football that there is hardly a 'working class' left. 20% of the GDP is done with 10% of the workforce; the ports have only a few thousand employees; same for even the automobile sector/supply. The party time is about to end and drastic measures are in the process to be implemented (preferably under a new generation). Maybe that F1 driver is the perfect symbol for the decadence of the 21st century.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...nds-louis-van-gaal-world-cup-qatar-ridiculous

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/q...victory-to-come.2118599/page-14#post-40386596

Cheers :) (I'm busy the coming time)

PDG1978 repped this.
  15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah that's an early to mid 80s Belgian shirt I think isn't it? Somehow well suited to that era I think, but also distinctively noticeable as the Belgian national shirt, as opposed to other red ones.

16. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #16 leadleader, Apr 8, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    Revisiting this thread and my opening post, it almost blows my mind just how significantly my opinion has changed between November 17 and April 2022...

November 2017 :

1. Barcelona 2005-06 (Home).

2. Barcelona 2011-12 (Home).

3. Real Madrid 2002-03 (Home).

4. Villarreal 2005-06 (Home).

5. Juventus 1999/2000 (Home).

April 2022 :

1. Fiorentina 1998-99 (Home).

2. France Euro 1984 (Home or Away).

3. Montpellier 1988-89 (Home or Away).

4. Southampton 1993-94 / 1994-95 (Home).

5. AC Milan 1992-93 / 1993-94 (Home).

Retrospection :

1. Barcelona 2005-06 (Home).

The big----yet easily avoidable----problem with this Barcelona uniform is that at any time before night time, the colors are nowhere near bright nor vivid enough, that is, when the colors are illuminated by daylight, this uniform can look excessively austere and boring...

Why Nike insists on using red and blue colors that are never sufficiently saturated nor vivid nor solid enough... is beyond me!! Nike should know better by know!!

2. Barcelona 2011-12 (Home).

This uniform is original and takes a lot of risks, I still think that it was an excellent uniform when observed through the "updated yearly" context of modernity; as such, it should always distinguish itself in a positive way... however, on the more negative side of things, this distinctive design can be perceived as----upon closer inspection----a little too similar to the Spider Man uniform....

At any rate, the modernist/asymmetrical design lacks the minimalistic beauty of Barcelona's traditional uniform, and the older I get, the more I realize that Barcelona's colors work best when at their most minimalistic; of course, this is all subjective, after all...

Nike deserves some credit here for their originality, but in the past 2 years alone Nike has produced more original and better uniforms probably.

For example, Barcelona's 2021-22 Home Uniform is ugly as sin, it makes you wonder if Nike is trying to get themselves fired... but then Barcelona's 2021-22 Away Uniform is very beautiful, it makes you wonder what the hell is happening at Nike, that they failed to realize that the Away Uniform should have been the uniform to be used at home??

Similarly, Barcelona's 2020-21 Home Uniform is in my eyes destroyed again by the lack of vivid colors, the red is almost a dried blood extremely dark red, closer to the color of dark wine, and the blue is also too dark to work with Barcelona's traditional design; this uniform would have looked beautiful with robust vivid colors, but again, Nike insists on boring dark austere colors for whatever the reason...

On the other hand, Barcelona's 2020-21 Away Uniform is one of the most original and best uniforms by Nike in a long time; too bad that Nike wasted it on an away uniform, instead of making it the Home Uniform, which is the same error that was repeated this season 2021-22.

3. Real Madrid 2002-03 (Home).

It still is a very handsome uniform, but the problem with it is the excessively minimalistic design; for example, I can think of plenty of uniforms that are all-white-minimalistic and yet take a lot more risks than the Real Madrid 2002-03 uniform; simply put, the uniform is excellent but does not take enough risks, and that disqualifies it in my eyes.

4. Villarreal 2005-06 (Home).

It holds up very well, the light canary yellow color, the two-tone blue colors of the sponsor logo, the Villarreal symbol, and the distinctive turtle neck, everything just works so well... it looks like an architect----not necessarily Puma----designed this uniform. The cube-like-yet-refreshing design of both the yellow color and the actual fit of the uniform, reminds of painter Pablo Picasso or architect Le Corbusier, it is a sophisticated and special uniform; it is an interesting coincidence that Roman Riquelme had a uniform to match his own painter-style, artist-style playmaking aesthetic.

I do not necessarily include this uniform as a top 5 uniform these days, but out of my old November 2017 list, this is the uniform that has aged better than the other 4.

5. Juventus 1999/2000 (Home).

This uniform obviously catches the eye in terms of how immediately distinctive and original it is, but today it looks like it might be too distinctive and too original; this uniform has not exactly aged well in my eyes, compared to the simpler and in my opinion better Juventus designs of the Platini years and the Pirlo years, for example.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  17. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #17 PuckVanHeel, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    It is the 1984 shirt, which was not a 'vintage' tournament (and had many players banned, by their own football association).

This was the away shirt

I read later in a publication by the KNVB itself that they indeed do not use the color red because the southern neighbors - whose latinized name after all means the same thing (and are by foreigners regularly taken and discussed together) - had already placed a claim on this (played in this before the northerners used orange). It remains after Austria vs Hungary the most played national team game in Europe.

This is not necessarily a place or region with great attachment to protocol and parades, but this is one of the things and 'golden rules' in place.

An attachment to symbols or symbolism has also its drawbacks. It is not always helpful to think when you see it 'oh, this stands for that' and also 'that is racist' (while for many decades a vast majority of the 'victims' did not see it as racism). For that reason NED was the last country in the world to not display the national flag in their own parliament, until 2017 (it was decided, by a large majority, to not use the variant with an orange pennant and also to not display the EU flag, which many other parliaments in the EU do - all the larger countries do so). The Russia financed populists like to incite divisiveness, but mostly the 'leaders' are aware it is generally better to not think too much about what you see and create a sort of American experience and attachment to symbols and rituals.

It is the same with football - I did not know all that stuff about the away colors.

However, there has arguably always been a moralist undertone in the mainstream history writing.

Show Spoiler
    Dutch historiography has never said goodbye to the pastoral land
    [...]
    But what has never changed [throughout the centuries]: the puritan drive. Whether Dutch history is presented as a commendable ride or as a mistake and reprehensible: the local historian has an urge to interpret national history in stark moral terms. The latest canon discussion – Minister Van Engelshoven (D66) wants more attention for dark pages in Dutch history – is yet another proof that the Netherlands has never, to put it in Menno ter Braak's [deceased in 1940] book title, really said 'farewell to pastoral land'. On the contrary, to put it with his other title: the Netherlands is and will remain a country 'of the old and new Christians' and historians are no exception to this rule.
    https://wimberkelaar.wordpress.com/...eeft-nooit-afscheid-van-domineesland-genomen/
    (this is a valid source, yes - he is a conservative christian, albeit economically 'leftish', attached to the Protestant University in Amsterdam)

Article in the newspaper of today/yesterday:

A brutal, evil and mean people
    [...]
    Now that the ten-part series has been completed, we can call the historical series with staged scenes a great success. Not only because it is an unexpected hit, with an average of 1.7 million linear viewers.
    [...]
    “The history handbooks that have been around for a century, hang Dutch history on the great virtues of tolerance, freedom and democracy,” Flemish writer David Van Reybrouck stated Monday in Eus' Boekenclub (NPO2)

[...]
    "We" are rather brutal, born evil and mean, it turns out. In every episode there are examples of poverty, exploitation, massacres. In the seventh episode (1600-1750) colonialism is added.
    [...]
    The tenth and final episode (1930-1950) gives the final blow to the last remnant of patriotism. Schuurmans paints in stark colors how in the Second World War almost everyone cooperated with the German occupiers, thereby ensuring that the murder of 102,000 Jews went smoothly.
    [...]
    "Only a few take action", Schuurmans mumbles. Now it's getting too much for me. Only a few? Were there virtually no people who took Jews into their homes? About 45,000 Dutch people (half a percent) protested and petitioned directly, a quarter of whom paid this choice with their lives. It's not much, but don't say it never happened. The only mass protests in Europe by non-Jews took place here, and per million citizens no other country received as many Yad Vashem medals (second after Poland in absolute numbers).
    [...]
    He immediately puts it into perspective, and instead comes up with the moral of the story: “Every choice changes the course of history, every decision to do something, or to do nothing, has consequences. Not only in the past, but also in the present.”

Well. Of course you could also tell it without morals. And without the pretense that we can draw a national character or lesson from this. Simply: this happened. That's how it goes. We - Atheists, Catholics, Protestants, Jews or Muslims - will make the same mistakes again, but hopefully with the passage of time in smaller numbers.

Not hard to see some parallels with football and sport:
    https://nos.nl/artikel/2425118-special-cruijff-75-jaar-14-onbekende-fragmenten

PDG1978 repped this.
  18. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    [​IMG]

Excape Goat repped this.
  19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    We are both picking a lot of blue kits Puck haha! I guess it is with away shirts that our own clubs and countries would play in them though: I seem to think of a Dutch darker blue one that was maybe similar to Spain's from 2010, but my mind might be playing tricks! Certainly the Dutch team has worn a lighter blue (although I remind myself now that their own Euro 2000 one was somewhat darker), similar to Italy above I recall, though Cruyff played in blue shirts back in the 60s on occasion I'm thinking too....

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  20. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #20 PuckVanHeel, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    Yeah I like blue and green the most.

Red/white has always won the national championship since 1964. One of the factors, as we all know, is that this was a cheap color in Europe to use. Others are the theories about red inciting "fear and passion" and red being the color of the labour class.

I also think France (despite the common joke "it is perhaps the greatest country in Europe, just too bad the French live there" - it even caused a diplomatic row in the 1990s!) has on balance positive connotations, in the end.

If you say: "tomorrow the country will be annexed by one of France, England, Germany, Italy or Spain; make your choice" my hinge is France and England are number one and number two in the polls. As strange as that might sound (Parisian centralism will turn this into a failure; on the other hand, we and England are also in some respects - e.g. not the school systems - more etatist than some like to admit I'd say). From the end of the 1990s until last year (North/West) Germany was probably number three in the row, maybe number two (in the east more so than the west/Holland).

See also:
    https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_Franse_woorden_en_uitdrukkingen_in_de_Nederlandse_taal

(Less surprising is English words entering the vocabulary, and what I also found interesting when reading about the 1970s is the use of German phrases by the business and political elite - certainly more often than today - also interesting to read about the gigantic weapon exports to Israel back then; in 2020 I saw SIPRI has us outside the top 25 in imports but 8th/12th in exports).

Yeah, I like blue and green the most and that are not unique choices (white, black and grey are -for the sake of argument - no colors)

21. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That's right, though because of that similarity also other shades of light blue are then used in the 'next round' so to speak, to avoid the similarities (whether that is appealing to the eye though...).

22. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I think it is safe to say this is typically seen as one of the ugliest kits in history. It ranks high in such rankings and votes. No joke and exaggeration.

Both for the template, the shade and color used, and all the white stripes through it. But obviously it is well remembered and a symbol/icon of an era (I've seen now a recent (niche) series on Netflix, for ex. Daily Telegraph article here, and my goodness, it ticks all the cliches and stereotypes).

As you say, that template was also used for other national teams and that's usually something working as a disadvantage (one year later the FA signed for a different kit supplier, an Italian supplier - "Italians more often than not do this right").

23. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #23 leadleader, Apr 15, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    -----------------------------------------------

Netherlands vs. England, 1977 Friendly.

I always like the orange-and-white uniforms of Netherlands (of course, as any fashion-sensitive person, I do not like the all-orange uniform; orange is simply not a color that works on its own); it is one of the best uniforms in international football in my opinion, along with Argentina's uniform.

With the above in mind, the specific uniform that Netherlands used in the friendly game vs. England in 1977, with an excellent performance by the virtuoso Johan Cruyff; I really like this specific version of the World Cup 1978 uniform, in fact, this version of the uniform is probably a one-time-only thing.

Normally, the Netherlands uniform has the white shorts with orange lines; by orange lines, I mean the Adidas signature three-lines design. Normally, the shirt is orange with black lines, and the short is white with orange lines.

The uniform that Netherlands used vs. England in 1977; it has the normal orange shirt with black lines, but then the white shorts also have the same black lines as the shirt; in theory, it would not be unreasonable to make the argument that something as insignificant as black lines instead of orange lines is some big alteration to the uniform... but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think the black lines in the shorts, with the black lines also in the shirt, is a significant alteration to this uniform; it works perfectly with the black collar.

[​IMG]

It is a small picture with bad definition, but the design of the uniform can be sufficiently appreciated; the collar is black and demands attention, the end of the sleeves are also black, the lines of the shirt are also black, and the lines of the shorts ate also black, and then the Netherlands emblem is also black; it is probably my favorite Netherlands uniform.

[​IMG]

It is not exactly easy to put into words, in specific or conclusive terms, why I think that the white shorts with the black lines make such a significant----in a positive way----difference to the uniform as the sum of its parts, or as something greater than the mere sum of its parts; I think it probably is that the black lines, the black of the collar and the end of the sleeves, in all of the uniform, solidifies the uniform as a whole; if the white shorts had the orange lines, it would, in theory, not look quite as solid and as galvanized.

The relatively small orange lines vs. the white shorts; the orange lines will be barely recognizable from a distance; the orange lines will be concealed and absorbed by the sea of white; this, more than anything else, is probably why said black lines are such a positive alteration in my eyes; it solidifies the uniform, in such a way that the design of the uniform is easy to distinguish from the distance, not only in close-up high definition pictures; as was demonstrated by the low definition picture a few lines above.

At any rate, I think it is a shame that this specific one-time-version of the uniform was not the uniform that Netherlands used at World Cup 1978.

[​IMG]

This is more traditional; orange shirt with black lines, the white shorts with orange lines, and the collar of the shirt is minimalistic and orange; it does not want to capture the attention; to be clear, a very handsome uniform, but in my opinion, the uniform that Netherlands used vs. England in 1977 is even better as a result of taking more risks; successfully taking more risks, all the while also remaining true to its minimalistic tradition.

24. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Which kit do you mean there?

25. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I mean the 1988 home kit. It is generally seen as ugly. It was only used five times; the five games at euro 1988.

The main thing it has going for it is the template/pattern combined with the color.

Only a few national teams played/play in orange (Cote d'Ivoire for example - there is an indirect meandering link to 'Holland' and the flag). As of 2022 only Ivory Coast plays in orange as home kit, if I'm not mistaken.

The template was an odd one (it was called 'Ipswich'), but other national teams of that time had the same pattern. Morocco, Soviet Union and the green West Germany away jersey for example; and also reigning European Cup holder FC Porto.

Some of the recent kits look better (as well as 50s, 60s, 70s kits).

Gibraldo repped this.