The best players of the season 2002-3

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Apr 18, 2018.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #26 PuckVanHeel, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Yeah that is a nice attempt. Maybe Torsten Frings as I'm now thinking (for this or another year), although he was one who divided opinions strongly.

There is of course a personal element to it - I find Nesta as more flawless than veteran Maldini, who deserves praise for improving his footballing skills; I'd doubt whether Baggio played at a higher level than Bergkamp although he has better cases elsewhere including 2004-05 - magical pass in that 2003 FA Cup final video!; and yeah I do rate Ze Roberto quite high for reasons said above and also how he became a useful/good central midfielder later on (above match compilation is not his best around); I'm myself leaning towards Mutu as #2 among the forwards, but also you think he was *** level; Rui Costa had a respectable contribution in the Champions League, but his league form was not at Fiorentina level.

And the margins were in some cases small - I wonder if the Milan players would still rank high in many lists if they had bowed out in the quarter finals, likely not.

I agree Robben reached a good level, and he opened his account in the Champions League, was in good form there. That striker Kezman made the ESM team of the season was in no small part thanks to Robben (and ofc other team mates), and the left-winger made 10 league assists too. Sad fact: in no other season he made as many starts as in this :cry: As a bold and strong claim, for 50% it was also his ESM selection.

I'm just curious though why you see Scholes as an attacking midfielder in a 4-4-2? I had also checked that website showing the assists in an ice hockey manner (assists + pre-assists = 'assist') and that shows him with 11, so meaning 8 pre-assists. I do agree this is one of his best cases for a 'world class' season, even though not necessarily everything is pointing to it (i.e. no votes in Ballon d'Or again).

What are your impressions on Pirlo for this season? I guess Vieri gets a 'plus' for his national team form? Impressions on Aimar?

2. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

Yes, and he's also in this 1976 born XI by the SkySports panel (was also on TV apparently), so he is not completely forgotten yet.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...-ballack-and-ronaldo-all-born-in-vintage-year

Although I'd personally make room for Shevchenko to be honest.

What I also find interesting is that Seedorf seems to be especially rated among defenders (of his generation, or overlapping generations). For example 1978 born Puyol and Rio Ferdinand, and there are even some more (Jaap Stam, Roberto Carlos, Nesta less surprisingly; but also Rui Costa etc.).

Puyol placed him in his "toughest XI faced" and said in 2016: "Strong as an ox, and blessed with serious talent, Clarence Seedorf was an underrated world-class player."

Rio Ferdinand also had him in his "best opponents XI" and said 2016: "Our game at Old Trafford in the Champions League against AC Milan might be remembered for Kaka’s stunning solo goal, but the man that impressed me most on the pitch was Seedorf, who was absolutely unplayable that day. Equally comfortable on both feet, he understood and read the game so well. I think he’s one of the most underrated players of our generation. Quick, strong and could receive the ball under pressure and still score great goals." - indeed, also in Pirlo's year (2003-04) he scored good and crucial goals against Inter and Juventus resulting in the championship.

There is a pattern of him being considered for ideal XIs among (opposition) defensive players.

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, Seedorf was really good in the Milan leg too (moreso than at Old Trafford IIRC). Interestingly I also saw recently a comment on the Bergkamp assists video claiming two of his assists were among the best 3 of all-time and the other was Seedorf away to Bayern in 06/07 too - not sure about that (the Bergkamp claims either) but certainly a really nice and clever one. I'd think him and Kaka being the players of the 06/07 Champions League might be a good call overall.

And yeah, I am not normally very opinionated I guess, but how Shevchenko would not be in that XI I really don't know (they even mention Inzaghi before him too). He can also fit relatively well on the side of 3 strikers (might be tempted to put Ronaldo on the other side with the less mobile option in the middle even if choosing that formation and presenting it in a way that might work - for me 'balance' is not only about attack/defence but how cohesive and effective the patterns of play can be etc, hence why the choice between Petit and Fabregas for the Arsenal XI isn't necessarily 'balance' vs assists I'd feel....although as I said maybe it sort of is still lol).

4. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

I've to say I didn't follow him that much in 2005-06, but I think there is a lot pointing to 2004-05 as his best Bayern season (2002 - 2006), and that's also how I perceived it back then. One might make the (implicit) comparison here with Steven Gerrard, who had comparable attributes, a comparable gung-ho playing style and was also the focal/feeding point of his team.

• He was rated as 'international class' in both halves, and as top of his position. This is not true for 2003-04 and 2005-06. This did happen in 2002-03 too, but here he was categorized as defensive midfielder (highly debatable interpretation), which was a less stacked position.
    • With 15 goals (2pen) and 9 assists in league + Champions League it was his most productive season. It was also by a margin his most productive Champions League season for Bayern, which is another relevant factoid.
    • Taking league games and Champions League together, this season had the highest average grade for Bayern.
    • Scored 8 goals for the national team (with 5 penalties), 6 assists. This ranks as his most productive during his Bayern spell, and with 2003-04 as his best scoring (in 2003-04 'inflated' by 4 goals against Malta). The contrast with other seasons is very strong.
    • Didn't receive ESM selections (really can't figure out why he'd suddenly receive two in 2005-06), but got included again for Ballon d'Or and World Player of the Year after not included for both in 2004. In 2006 he received again WpotY votes, but not BdO votes. After a 'barren' year he re-instated himself as domestic footballer of the year in 2005 (which is thus actually season), and lost it again in 2006.
    • There are some other minor things, but in a nutshell - and having Gerrard in mind - I think this is his strongest material for this club.

comme repped this.
  5. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #30 PuckVanHeel, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Yes, by most standards this is not correct even though Inzaghi had one of the best continental strike rates of that generation and year of birth.

Maybe Shevchenko has been done a 'disservice' in that he won the Ballon d'Or when he was slightly past his individual peak, and his passing was a tad below his best level around that time. I really think it's a glaring mistake to not include him, yes.

Yes I think too 2006-07 is one of his best cases (better than 2002-03), and he had visibly a crucial (leadership) role in papering over the cracks that appeared in the team. At the same time, the role and job that was given to him in both semi final games suited a starring role well - and he had a world class technique (agree with 'pes stats').
    This is more difficult, to be the brightest star of your team, if you are given a glorified man marking role on the flanks, as he did in 2005-06 against Juventus. As important such accent might be, the chances to be the brightest star of your team are zero. The nature of this job is after all to make others into the brightest star!

I also think, a bit similar to Scholes, some of his best attributes got better valued later in his career. It was necessary the 'leading' football nations as Spain started to give this more primacy/prominence and more recognition. The irony of this is, of course, that this also takes something away from the competitive advantage. In that sense there is a 'no win' situation: It is snubbed by the media megaphones, and the advantage evaporates when others start to take note (and combine it with their superior resources, and their special perks/priviliges).

Furthermore, players with his longevity profile and being a useful tactical cog are typically more highly valued when they're intrinsically linked to one (super)club. Think of Maldini, Iniesta, Giggs, maybe Lahm, and others. The journalistic dynamics, journalistic professional ties and socialization processes are such that this helps enormously. To play for just one club is never an option for the likes of Seedorf or Modric now.

With respect to the years he won the Champions League, I think he had the biggest influence in 2007 and 2003 (for reasons said earlier: often crucial goals and assists in tight affairs - take those out and it is not so sure they win). He had the smallest direct influence, but still quality, in 1995. In 1998 he produced assists in the quarter finals, and kicker rated him highly in both semi final games and also the final (highest average grade of his team across those three games) - but 2003 and 2007 are more striking and crucial in a direct sense.

'Best assist ever', if one can ever make this claim with certainty, is indeed strange (but the Bayern one in the 2007 quarter final is indeed smart and nice). With Bergkamp, yes, I can understand. I think it is correct to see him as one of the most gifted (West) Europeans we have seen (a call that Spanish, Italian magazines have made). Always capable of some efficient and dangerous magic against the very best teams, even when out of shape and form. Also consistently capable of magical moments in stages like FA Cup finals. When in shape and form, he was often the best player on the pitch (see kicker ratings for Champions Legaue - when he was already 33-34 years old).

Seedorf on the other hand had 'just' a world class technique. It is in each generation not very common, but it's not much more than this. It's an achievement in itself that he could hold his own against Kaka, Rui Costa and Pirlo when it came down to technical proficiency.

Those two shared however the trait of adaptability. I believe both were highly adaptable and flexible players. Bergkamp was one penalty kick away (missed by Vieira) of being the only player to win the UEFA Cup with three different clubs, three different countries, and in all of these three campaigns as the leading performer. This was a time when the leagues differed more to each other as they do today. It was also a time when the UEFA Cup was a proper competition that all competitors wanted to win.

Another telling sign is his 1994 World Cup performance against Brazil, with a skilled goal, just two hours after being scared by a bomb threat (which caused his fear of flying). He was still (rightly) scared after the match, but I think, even if it took 10% away from his level, this underlined his flexibility and capability to adapt to (unwanted) circumstances.

The argument for Seedorf as an adaptable player is obvious (including his spell in Brazil), but there are also some less obvious things such as his ESM inclusions for five different clubs (Ajax in 1994-95, Sampdoria, Real Madrid, Inter, AC Milan). Only Ibrahimovic is comparable.

PDG1978 repped this.
  6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    For certainty let me clarify here Shevchenko was of course 'world class' in 2003-04 (possibly in 2004-05 despite only 16 non-penalty goals in the league, possibly still in 2005-06 even though that is the 'weakest' of the three). But I know you've made the observation too that his peak, including his sharpest passing, was around the turn of the century. The last two seasons for Dynamo Kiev and the first two for Milan (a rather 'bad' Milan). I think, yes, many of the plaudits came to his way when he was past his individual best. If you look at ESM, UEFA team of the year, L'Equipe then you'd think his peak was in 2004 and 2005 but I don't think that is correct from an individual perspective and quite plausibly this doesn't help him at hindsight.
    Btw, his scoring profile in 2004-05 is similar to PK10s in 2002-03 (going strong for national team and Champions League; not impressive scoring stats in the league although registering some assists, 5 in Sheva his case).

Actually, they also graded both quarter final games I see now. It's in the game descriptions. If one includes those, thus the last five games, then he has the best grade of his team across those five remaining matches. This was Real Madrid's first European Cup in 32 years. Don't know about another (neutral) publication that did grades.

For balance, here the counter-argument by Michael Cox, the author of that 'The Mixer' book (not all of them valid points, some are).

Show Spoiler
    "But what is Seedorf all about? For such a highly rated, successful footballer, it’s surprisingly difficult to say what Seedorf excelled at. The Dutchman’s magnificent career was characterised by a stream of medals, and he famously became the first player to win the Champions League with three separate clubs: Ajax, Real Madrid and Milan. Amazingly, he played for more than a decade after that achievement, proving his longevity.

Seedorf, however, never had a clear identity as a footballer. He was a fine all-around midfielder -- able to tackle, pass and shoot effectively -- but he was rarely his side’s leader and never its best player, with the arguable exception of his recent spell in Brazil with Botafogo.

In the great Milan side of the mid-2000s, he was (at best) the third-most important playmaker, behind Andrea Pirlo and Kaka and sometimes Rui Costa. With Rino Gattuso crucial for his energy, Seedorf was the least crucial member of the midfield. To a certain extent, the same was true at Real Madrid and Ajax, where there were multiple talented superstars emerging. Seedorf was always there in the background, playing along diligently rather than conducting the orchestra. His career was a 10/10, but at any one moment, he was never more than an 8/10 player.

With Seedorf, the perception of his talent was always slightly greater than his overall contribution. An immensely talented player and a hugely likable individual, no one questioned quite whether Seedorf truly deserved the plaudits, or medals, that came his way. He was, without being overly harsh, a superdomestique, to use a term from cycling -- someone there to facilitate the play of others albeit capable of being a crucial playmaker in another side.

What’s irrefutable, however, is that Seedorf helped encourage his side to play good, attacking football."

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, physically (especially agility as per the FM/PES definitions) Shevchenko was better around the turn of the century I think (with the exception of 'power'). I guess his Chelsea time has influenced the call somehow (because I remember how he was regarded in England before that), but as you say partly it can be that they recognise fully the Dutch strikers and Inzaghi.

I think at his best Seedorf could play the supplementary role and still star in it and in that CL campaign of 06/07 I think that was evident - he starred due to the consistent influence and quality but Kaka was the one with the free roaming role of course and Seedorf was still a hard working LM, although at times I think they did play as two AMs didn't they before Kaka went to Madrid. Maybe best to conclude the non-02/03 comments now with this and your next reply if you want to make one (it's ok if you have any different perceptions of course too and you might have some better insight into Seedorf than I do!), but the Milan players are also relevant for 02/03 anyway I know.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #34 PuckVanHeel, Apr 28, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Yes, ok, some final comments on this (not directly related to 2002-03; above link might be interesting for that).

Also here you can question if Shevchenko would still be overlooked (even though his honors do not match with his individual prime, although he was elite level in these years) if he had been Italian or British. Many of those lists, and retrospective lists ('best 23'), consist for 95% of Brazilian, Argentinean, British, Spanish, Italian, German and French players. The rest is an afterthought. Unlike, say, Uruguay he is also not from a country that has one of the global languages as official language. The Netherlands is/was not the football mainstream (despite all those semi finals while un-seeded; despite praise in the past for impact by players and technical expertise, know-how), but more so part of the football mainstream than Ukraine, we can semi-objectively say. This is objectively a psychological handicap.

Maybe his national team career (at his best level) has been a tad harshly perceived in his own country. For euro 2004, the only tournament where he was made trusted starter, when the semi final was reached - he was included in some lists (not 'always' but not totally ignored). Also saw kicker had him with a good grade (2.88 average), including a 2.0 and 2.5 game which is fairly good (5th-7th best midfielder of tournament; excluding the wingers 3rd-5th).

Despite persistent claims of him being 'lucky', he had also a useful contribution in the 2010-11 scudetto (the last Juventus did not win - quite possibly Napoli wins this season). He was the fourth highest scorer of his team. Behind forwards Ibrahimovic, Pato and Robinho (all 14 goals), but ahead of regular starters as Cassano, Inzaghi, Prince-Boateng and Pirlo. He was also the 2nd highest assister of his team, behind Ibrahimovic (same for open play assists). Indispensable he was not, useful he was (also in terms of through-balls, I see).

It's practically never said about the aforementioned Bergkamp (aforementioned by you, too) that he was 'lucky'. Although admittedly at that age, 35 years old, the actim index and opta showed him as possibly being among the top 15, top 10 best players of the (more physical) league in 2004-05. That is not true for Seedorf, he wasn't a candidate for this estimation, despite still doing tangible things as a supportive player.

Kaka his best Milan season is a toss-up between 2005-06 and 2006-07 in my eyes (in his last two seasons he started to take more penalties, but that's not the main reason why I think this - I think he wasn't perceived as being at his personal best in his last two years). When the time is right I'm sure he'll return in the contemplation.

10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks Puck, just a quick acknowledgement from me that I read all that then, although I'd add that 03/04 (comme's next thread of course) is already season wise a good candidate for Kaka I feel (especially domestically, where Ancelotti waxed lyrical about his form on some documentary type programme I saw about that Milan season...which I struggle to recall in terms of what it was and where I watched it to be honest lol). 04/05 might have his best single match (certainly a great candidate for best significant performance, albeit counting for nothing in terms of the trophy - in the CL Final) but I don't think it would be in contention so much as an overall season would it....

Interesting that on the Placar page you showed that Kaka's name was included (although some voters preferred to include Diego and Robinho) for 02/03, but I seem to think his impact in Milan was even (in 03/04 too) above expectations based on what he'd done in Brazil. And although Rui Costa and him did play in the same team at times, he did replace him as first choice pretty quick, with Rui Costa's understanding or even approval. Like you said for 02/03 Rui Costa comes into any sort of consideration due mainly to the CL it seems, and Shevchenko's name did appear in the UEFA list on the Gazetta (?) page you also linked re: Scholes etc of course (I think based on how comme normally does things though Shevchenko for that season wouldn't be any sort of real candidate for recognition with any stars overall - I guess if he'd scored a hat-trick as MOTM in the Final rather than simply the final penalty maybe he'd at least be more in line for an HM in that respect though).

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #36 PuckVanHeel, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    :)

Yes the 2nd half of 2003-04 was at the level of 2005-06 and the 'big' matches and stages of 2006-07. Gazzetta had him in his ideal team for 2003-04 and 2005-06. Strangely not even on the bench in 2006-07.
    If you look solely at the last 5 months of 2003-04 then it is up there with the best he did for Milan. This was also the period Milan jumped from 2nd to 1st in the table. He had however more (open play) assists in many of his later Milan seasons. 2003-04 is my #3 behind 2005-06 and 2006-07, but on 'best five months' it is joint #1.

The 2006-07 campaign sort of rounded a circle and closed a book, since before that the (justified) criticism was Kaka being a bit unproductive in the 'big' matches (for example only 1 goal, in 2005-06, in 10 games against Juventus).

Rui Costa started only 7 games in the last five months, but of course he was ageing back then. He had a revival in the 2005 calendar year, when he had for example a noteworthy role in the knockout matches against Manchester United (then he was almost 33).

Yes, I think he had a couple outstanding CL matches in 2002-03, not the least against Real Madrid where he was man of the match. Not in all 16 matches, but in the figure of four, five or six.

PDG1978 repped this.
  12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #37 PuckVanHeel, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    Yesterday and today I had been looking into some of his 07/08 compilations (and compare this with 2006, 2007) and in particular in the 2008 calendar year you can see he had lost a yard of pace and that 'double burst' - against Arsenal, against Juventus.
    In old threads, of 2008, you can also see a number of people questioning his place on the longlist for PotY, although that might be too extreme (I think). The decline, relative to his own standards, is masked by him taking more penalty kicks.

I think Kaka was an unfortunate player in that his best phases, with the exception of 2006-07, coincided with Ronaldinho his best phases. Ronaldinho also played his best football in the 2nd half of 2003-04 and 2005-06 (more so than 2004-05, where his production in league and Champions League is actually quite underwhelming).
    And of course Kaka was unfortunate with his injuries. I have more respect for that, than for players who have 100% themselves to blame (or players who arrange dubious waivers with approval from the big chiefs).

At the same time, he was maybe 'lucky' to play in the right era. I'm not the greatest fan of Miguel 'hyperbole' Delanay but he wrote this recently (and I don't agree 100% with his Steven Gerrard answer - he also overlooks Liverpool has a turnover of 400 million):

Show Spoiler

"Messi and Ronaldo have reached such a level that they have been central to the two clubs that have dominated the last decade of European football, winning six of the last nine Champions Leagues. That has also been because the modern economics of the game have given those two players a concentration of quality around that is unprecedented in the sport’s history, making both those two stars and their star-studded squads all the better. Those two clubs have also represented the extreme of a gradual process in the game, and how such exceptional wealth - the source of the rise of the super-clubs - is almost the basic entry-level requirement to the Champions League latter stages.

Few clubs have defied that wealth in the last decade or so, but those who have had all required something extra special.

This is where Salah comes in, and where that extra debate is.

Of the clubs outside the super elite to make a Champions League final - an achievement Liverpool now stand on the brink of, thanks primarily to Salah - is the Egyptian the most influential player any of them have had?

And, if that is true, will he thereby have been the player to have the deepest individual effect on a Champions League side, since it will lift them so far above their expectations?

One obvious answer to this question is Salah’s predecessor as Liverpool’s talisman, Steven Gerrard.
    [...]
    Bayer Leverkusen 2002 didn’t quite have a player like that, as brilliant as Michael Ballack was,
    and there was also the fact that was still when the Champions League - and European football as a whole - was in a less economically stratified period. The gaps were beginning to appear at that point, sure, but they weren’t quite chasmic.

Porto’s win in 2004 was meanwhile more about the cosmically good management of Jose Mourinho than any player, as he seemed to have offer a tactical insight and level of psychological management that really did seem other-worldly at the time. Porto had a Deco, but was really relevant about a Deco was how a player like that was then so completely willing to subsume himself to the manager’s tactical demands.

Beyond that Liverpool of Gerrard and Rafa Benitez, it would be a long time since clubs outside that kind of wealth or status would break such ground, as the two Milan clubs offered last hurrahs for a broken era of Italian football. Those squads of Carlo Ancelotti and Internazionale did still have a depth beyond most in Europe, even if would soon be beyond every other Italian club bar Juventus. The Turin club have now made themselves “insiders”, as did Diego Simeone with Atletico Madrid."

Despite Kaka being Brazilian, I'm not sure he would've been perceived as outstanding (also if you theoretically think away Messi/Ronaldo), if he had peaked today - that's also true for other greats. His time at Real Madrid gives a glimpse, although that was already 3-4 years after his best and he struggled with fitness (also visibly lowering his technique, and that's the consensus too). Injuries can be nasty things, as it has a knock-on effect, on things like technical training. Kaka also come/came across as a genuinely nice, aware and conscious guy.

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I think Scholes was somewhere between a midfielder and a forward. I'd see United playing a 4-4-1-1 that season with Scholes tucked in behind RvN, so I can certainly see good logic in him being classed as a forward.

Pirlo was sometimes a hard player to get a good feel for his performance because he didn't necessarily deliver a great deal of goals or assists. His elegance, which we've spoken of before always marked him out as a special player. His DBS rating isn't stellar so hard to feel if he really came alive in Europe and merited a higher rating.

Vieri primarily gets his rating purely off his goalscoring in Serie A. To a degree he was underwhelming in Europe (compared with his team mate Crespo) although he did get goals against Valencia and some for Italy as well.

Aimar I always thought looked very good when I saw him play, but he did struggle with injuries. This was one of his most injury-free seasons with 29 league starts and 8 goals (no penalties). When he was fit and in form he was top class.

14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Which really does make me wonder why he is placed ahead of RvN. RvN was certainly the better ball player, although not exceptional and a late bloomer (also born late in his cohort, 1 July - this also applies to Pirlo, 19 may).

What more should RvN have done? He was league topscorer, Champions League topscorer and almost FA Cup topscorer (played 3 games, 1 goal short of being topscorer - won the 2nd penalty on his own). He set the record for scoring in consecutive league games, record for Champions League games (scored in all matches he played, including both quarter final games).

The sole penalty he scored in the Champions League (the qualification round, is not counting for the topscorer title) was won by himself. In the league he scored 5 penalties, but also there he created themselves (opening goal against Liverpool) or significantly helped to create some of them.

Vieri did have two more non-penalty goals in his league (and scored in one game 4 non-pk goals, which was exceptional at the time), a league that was still slightly lower in goals per game (0.05 difference), but was way behind in the Champions League and had zero goals in the Coppa Italia (although the CI has a lower importance than the FA Cup in Italy itself).

Although RvN was an exception (is he still one? maybe not, given criticism by Cox et al. - on no other player he was as harsh), I really feel Dutch players get often a double knock. A knock at the time itself, and then one more later on. Easy target, the Croatians have at least still the Germans as their ally.

In depth this was one of the strongest generations. This generation, more or less, achieved three semi finals. Compared to bigger organizations one needs a surplus of quality to reach this consistency, not a shortage. This is also what current Belgium faces, having equally good players as England is not sufficient. In practice you need to be better for the same return ('return' over a longer period of time). It also works like that in other businesses.

Yeah personally I don't think he comes ahead of Gattuso, Seedorf and Rui Costa, the more so in the Champions League campaign. He wasn't a preferred starter in the last 5 months. He didn't start the last 3 games of the 2nd group stage (played 19 minutes in total), didn't play both quarter final games and the first semi final. Then he had a well received game in the 2nd semi final game (see video for verification - still looks a bit raw to me despite quality play yes), and a poorly received game in the final (below the other three Milan midfielders).

2003-04 was definitely Pirlo's season, although people are mistaken when they think of Xavi like dominance and style of play. That was not just his or the Italian style. When they wanted to dominate, like the home game against Deportivo (great video quality on footballia!), this was still not Pirlo's style and (even) a job that was more on the shoulders of his colleagues - like Gattuso in his own way. Pirlo's form was one of the improved factors why they won the league rather than finishing 3rd on 11 points distance. Milan won 21 points more as in the previous 2002-03 season.

comme repped this.
  15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    So far I haven’t really ordered them. Once I do the World Class listing I will put them into a proper order.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #41 PuckVanHeel, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    @PDG1978

As a funny aside (and it fits here somewhat since it was his last full strong season and he's included in above link, and yes his personal contribution in the league and Champions League was noticeable), Edgar Davids was pundit on Wednesday and he analyses in the same way as he played football. With a lot of passion, enthusiasm and energy, but occasionally with crisp observations here and there. He made the remark (and funnily it's true too) that Koeman was 25 when he won the treble with PSV, Jaap Stam was 26 when he won the treble in his impactful first season and VvD is 26 too (with some reservations, still, and not to be premature - but Davids also said VvD had done well at Celtic and Southampton with things going for him).
    Koeman was a favorite of Davids when he was young, since he could both be topscorer material (for the league, if fit, and even Champions League indeed) as well as keeping the nil as that PSV side so notoriously did. He also referred back to comments he purportedly made in january when he said/predicted Coutinho isn't as crucial for Liverpool's game type as some think. It positively surprised me (first time I saw him as pundit on TV).

Recently I listened to a podcast after reading a comment Jonathan Wilson is busy with a book on the JC14 school of thought. It's here after 27:00 - there he also says briefly some interesting observations about Davids in that half a year in Barcelona (he was in conflict with Moggi and Bettega at Juve).

https://www.acast.com/onthecontinent/bielsaslament

PDG1978 repped this.
  17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    These were the top rated players by Gazzetta:

Mutu (6.63)
    Nedved (6.59)
    Maldini (6.53)
    Totti (6.52)
    Appiah (6.48)
    De Sanctis (6.46)
    Di Natale (6.44)
    J Zanetti (6.43)
    Stankovic (6.43)
    Del Piero (6.42)
    Emerson (6.42)

PuckVanHeel and PDG1978 repped this.
  18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yeah, Claudio Lopez, Adriano and Jaap Stam just fell 0.01 outside the top 10. On average grade that is.

19. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Is there a way to find the complete listing? I was just searching on the Gazzetta link you provided and found an article which recapped the top 10. It mentioned that those three had played on the final day and in doing so dropped out.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #45 PuckVanHeel, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    No, sadly not the full listing.

This was the 2nd last game:
    http://archiviostorico.gazzetta.it//2003/maggio/20/Dove_sta_Appiah_ga_0_0305209094.shtml

Adriano and Stam both on 6.41 with one game to go. In their very last game a 6 for Adriano and 6.5 for Stam. Logically Stam misses out with 0.00 or 0.01.

Claudio Lopez on 6.43 with one game to go. He received a 5.5 in his last.

I think Adriano was graded 24 times after the 2nd last match. Thus a six (the 25th grade) shouldn't put it down that much (6.39 - 6.40).

Searching further back (didn't do it now, but earlier), it's also visible for Claudio Lopez.

edit: replaced link that didn't work with one works.

comme repped this.
  21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    These were the best rated players by position from DBS:

P

1. De Sanctis

2. Buffon

3. Peruzzi

TLD

1. Zanetti

2. Betotto

3. Thuram

SCD

1. Stam

2. Maldini

3. Ferrara

LCD

1. Sensini

2. Mihajlovic

3. Nesta

TLS

1. Favalli

2. Music

3. Junior

MCC

1. Appiah

2. Milanetto

3. Simeone

INC

1. Stankovic

2. Pizarro

3. Davids

ACD

1. Fiore

2. Camoranesi

3. Ze Maria

ACS

1. Nedved

2. Emerson

3. Locatelli

SP

1. Mutu

2. Totti

3. Di Natale

C

1. Adriano

2. Vieri

3. Corradi

22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    #47 comme, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    This was my suggested World Class ranking:

1. Nedved
    2. Henry
    3. Makaay
    4. Van Nistelrooy
    5. Ronaldo
    6. Zidane
    7. Kahveci
    8. Maldini
    9. Nesta
    10. Alonso
    11. Mutu
    12. Scholes
    13. Buffon
    14. Vieira
    15. Roberto Carlos
    16. Del Piero
    17. Pires
    18. Davids
    19. Thuram
    20. Puyol
    21. Makelele

The only players I considered for top spot were Henry and Nedved.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Wasn't Davids world class previously?

I didn't refer to it since it is not certain whether (and which) pros are in the position to judge, but these ones might be of some interest.

--------------------

Ryan Giggs: My Team of 2003

I've resisted the temptation to name any of my Manchester United colleagues in my UEFA Team of the Year, but I still believe every player involved deserves his place. This team would be almost impossible to beat I reckon. Except against United of course!

Goalkeeper: Gianluigi Buffon
    I rate him as the best goalkeeper in the world at the moment. He's still pretty young, but he already has a presence that only the greatest goalies possess.

Right-back: Javier Zanetti
    Being a left-winger I know plenty about right full-backs and Zanetti is one of the toughest I've faced. He is a class defender who doesn't give an inch, but he also contributes a lot going forward.

Left-back: Roberto Carlos
    He's been the best left-back in the world for years now and he still keeps improving. We all know about the quality of his left foot, but his energy and determination are also brilliant.

Centre-back: Paolo Maldini
    He may be nearing the end of his career but you wouldn't know it by the way he is performing. Paolo is probably the greatest defender of his generation and is still one of those players that strikers hate to face.

Centre-back: Jaap Stam
    My old United team-mate is still one of the best in the business. S.S. Lazio aren't quite as strong as they were a few years ago but in Jaap they have a superb defender.

Right Midfield: Luís Figo
    Figo is a very classy footballer who is capable of producing moments of magic at will. He's had another great year in Spain and will be looking forward to UEFA EURO 2004™ on Portugese soil.

Centre Midfield: Claude Makelele
    I was very impressed by Makelele last season when we played Real Madrid CF. He is an unsung hero but the players recognise what a great job he does for the team. I don't think there is a better holding midfield player in the world at the moment.

Attacking Midfield: Zinedine Zidane
    Definitely the most talented footballer on the planet. Every year he produces amazing things with the ball and he seems to be getting better and better with age. David Beckham is amazed by what Zidane does every day in training and that recommendation is good enough for me!

Left Midfield: Pavel Nedved
    He's had the best year of his career to date and now he is one of the most wanted players around. He was awesome for Juventus FC in their run to the Champions League final last season and he's played a major part in helping the Czech Republic reach EURO 2004™. A great midfield player who is in his prime.

Forward: Ronaldo
    I've always rated Ronaldo as a brilliant striker, and he's had yet another sensational year. His hat-trick at Old Trafford against us last season was magnificent.

Forward: Thierry Henry
    What a great player Henry has turned out to be for Arsenal FC. He is their main man and seems to either create or score almost all of their goals. He has so much talent it's scary. Pace, power, skill, he has it all.

Coach: Marcello Lippi
    Juventus had been in the doldrums a bit but he took them to the Serie A title and the final of last season's Champions League which was a superb achievement. Tactically, Lippi never seems to get outfoxed and although I don't know him that well, I rate him very highly as a coach.

----------

Henrik Larsson: My Team of 2003

I would like to thank everyone who nominated me for uefa.com's Team of the Year. It is fantastic to be included among such great players. Here are my selections from the uefa.com shortlist.

Goalkeeper: Francesco Toldo
    It's important that you have complete confidence in your keeper and Toldo inspires that in the players in front of him. He's strong in every department and brave as well.

Right-back: Lilian Thuram
    The best right-back of the last ten years. He has a great awareness of the game around him and is always calm under pressure. He's a player who links well and he doesn't give attackers any space to operate in.

He's a fantastic player, with amazing skill, and does things at left-back that no other player in that position would contemplate.

Centre-backs: Alessandro Nesta and Paolo Maldini
    As a striker the AC Milan duo are the players that I would hate to have to face in any game. They obviously work brilliantly together and know each other's game inside out. These two players are the best example of exactly what you want in central defence. They don't panic under pressure, they can deal with threats in the air, and are both very strong in the tackle.

Right Midfield: Luís Figo
    He is a great passer of the ball, can cross well, and does all the simple things really well - you rarely see him waste a ball. He can play a solid, unspectacular game, or do something special and that makes him a wonderful player.

Central Midfield: Edgar Davids
    I love his creativity and eye for the killer ball. Davids is a very strong player who doesn't get knocked off the ball easily and can score goals himself.

Zidane has all the skill in the world on the ball, he's technically very gifted but also unselfish. If there are players in a better position than he is he will find them. He can take defenders on and score goals from just about anywhere.

Left Midfield: Ryan Giggs
    Giggs has a great football brain and is a joy to watch. He is another player who can run with the ball, beat defenders, pass, cross and score goals himself. He shows amazing skill in tight situations and does the simple things well.

Forwards: Thierry Henry and Ronaldo
    It would be really interesting to see Henry and Ronaldo playing together in the same team. In my view Henry has shown over the last few years that he is one of the best strikers in the world - you can't give him an inch or he will punish you. He's the sort of forward that it is almost impossible to defend against because he has so much variety in his game. Ronaldo continues to be a decisive finisher for Madrid and is a player for the big occasions. He is lethal around the box, with amazing balance and awareness for where the goal is.

Coach: Marcello Lippi
    Obviously here at Celtic we have a great coach in Martin O'Neill, but I think I shouldn't be biased so I'll go for Lippi of Juventus [FC]. If you have the best players in your team you need the coach that has the experience to bring them together. I think Lippi is the man who could do that.

--------------

Jaap Stam: My Team of 2003

There are so many great players on the nominations list for the uefa.com Team of the Year that it is very difficult to decide, but I've given it my best shot. So here are my selections.

Goalkeeper: Gianluigi Buffon
    There are many great goalkeepers in Serie A at the moment, but for me Buffon of Juventus FC is just about the best.

Right-back: Lilian Thuram
    Thuram has been a class full-back for many years now and has had yet another great year for club and country.

The best left-back in the world for sure. I have no hesitation in selecting Real Madrid CF's Roberto Carlos.

Centre-back: Paolo Maldini
    His experience and quality still make the AC Milan captain one of the best defenders in the world. I have so much respect for Maldini.

Centre-back: Jaap Stam
    As I'm one of the nominees I thought it would be silly not to pick myself! I'd certainly like to play in this team.

Right Midfield: Andy van der Meyde
    He has settled in very well at Internazionale FC and I know that he is enjoying himself in Italy.

Central Midfield: Edgar Davids
    My Dutch team-mate is a very important player for Juventus and I think he's had a superb year.

He has just been named as the FIFA World Player of the Year, so I cannot leave the great man out!

Left Midfield: Pavel Nedved
    He has been outstanding for both club and country in 2003, playing a big part in helping Juve to the Serie A title and the final of the UEFA Champions League, as well as being a big player for the Czech Republic in UEFA EURO 2004™ qualification.

Forward: Ruud van Nistelrooij
    He has been brilliant for Manchester United FC in the Premiership and the Champions League and deserves his place in my team of the year.

Forward: Thierry Henry
    Unlucky not to win the World Player of the Year, Thierry is a sensational striker who has been on top of his game for several years now at Arsenal FC.

Coach: Carlo Ancelotti
    You cannot do any better than winning the Champions League, so my vote has to go to Milan's coach Ancelotti.
    -----------------
    http://www.uefa.com/community/news/newsid=134318.html

There is also one by Roberto Carlos but that's the least interesting and includes 7 team-mates (including Beckham, at the end of the year).

comme repped this.
  24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I've also added some more detail for why I picked some people. Awards/nominations they received and also major silverware they won. I'll try and do this on some other seasons as I go.

Goalkeepers

Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus and Italy) 32 games, 0 goals *** 6.38

ESM Team of the Year, Onze de Onze, UEFA Team of the Year, 2nd highest rated GK DBS Calcio

Serie A Winner

Francesco Toldo (Inter and Italy) 32 games, 0 goals 6.31 **

Sander Westerweld (Real Sociedad and Netherlands) 37 games, 0 goals **

Sid Lowe’s La Liga Player of the Season (4th), Sid Lowe’s Team of the Year, Don Balon Team of the Year

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid and Spain) 38 games, 0 goals **

La Liga Winner

Brad Friedel (Blackburn and USA) 37 games, 0 goals **

PFA Team of the Year, Opta Team of the Year, Sky Sports Team of the Season

Carlo Cudicini (Chelsea and Italy) 36 games, 0 goals **

Gregory Coupet (Lyon and France) 35 games, 0 goals *

UNFP Team of the Season

Ligue 1 Winner

Morgan De Sanctis (Udinese and Italy) 34 games, 0 goals 6.40 *

Highest rated GK DBS Calcio

Dida (Milan and Brazil) 30 games, 0 goals 6.14 *

Champions League Winner, Coppa Italia Winner

Angelo Peruzzi (Lazio and Italy) 30 games, 0 goals 6.37 *

3rd highest rated GK DBS Calcio

Vitor Baia (Porto and Portugal) 25 games, 0 goals *

UEFA Cup Winner, Portuguese League Winner, Taca de Portugal Winner

Oliver Kahn (Bayern and Germany) 33 games, 0 goals *

Winter I/K2, Summer I/K2

Bundesliga Winner, Pokal Winner

Jens Lehmann (Borussia Dortmund and Germany) 24 games, 0 goals *

Winter I/K1, Summer I/K1

Frank Rost (Schalke and Germany) 33 games, 0 goals *

Winter I/K4, Summer I/K5

Petr Cech (Rennes and Czech Republic) 37 games, 0 goals HM

Full-back

Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid and Brazil) 37 games, 5 goals ***

ESM Team of the Year, Sid Lowe’s Team of the Year, Don Balon Team of the Year, Onze de Onze, UEFA Defender of the Year, UEFA Team of the Year

La Liga Winner

Lilian Thuram (Juventus and France) 27 games, 1 goals 6.25 ***

ESM Team of the Year, Onze de Onze, 3rd highest rated RB DBS Calcio

Serie A Winner

Carles Puyol (Barcelona and Spain) 32 games, 0 goals ***

ESM Team of the Year, Don Balon Team of the Year

Paulo Ferreira (Porto and Portugal) 30 games, 0 goals **

UEFA Team of the Year

Michel Salgado (Real Madrid and Spain) 35 games, 0 goals **

Sid Lowe’s Team of the Year

La Liga Winner

Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich and France) 23 games, 2 goals **

Summer I/K1, 8th best rated player in the Bundesliga (2.84)

Javier Zanetti (Inter and Argentina) 34 games, 1 goal 6.26 **

Highest rated TLD DBS Calcio

Ashley Cole (Arsenal and England) 31 games, 1 goal **

PFA Team of the Year, Sky Sports Team of the Season

FA Cup Winner

John O’Shea (Manchester United and Republic of Ireland) 32 games, 0 goals **

Sky Sports Team of the Season

Premier League Winner

Andreas Hinkel (Stuttgart and Germany) 33 games, 0 goals *

Gary Neville (Manchester United and England) 26 games, 0 goals *

Sky Sports Team of the Season Sub

Premier League Winner

Giuseppe Favalli (Lazio and Italy) 27 games, 1 goal 6.29 *

Highest rated TLS DBS Calcio

Wayne Bridge (Southampton and England) 34 games, 1 goal *

Hatem Trabelsi (Ajax and Tunisia) 26 games, 1 goal *

Centre-back

Paolo Maldini (Milan and Italy) 29 games, 2 goals 6.30 ***

Ballon d’Or (3rd), ESM Team of the Year, Onze de Onze, UEFA Team of the Year

Alessandro Nesta (Milan and Italy) 29 games, 1 goal 6.21 ***

Serie A Defender of the Year, Onze de Onze, UEFA Team of the Year

Roberto Fabian Ayala (Valencia and Argentina) 31 games, 1 goal ***

Sid Lowe’s Team of the Year, Don Balon Team of the Year

Jaap Stam (Lazio and Netherlands) 28 games, 0 goals 6.32 **

Highest rated SCD DBS Calcio

Ciro Ferrara (Juventus and Italy) 26 games, 0 goals 6.24 **

Serie A Winner

Daniel Van Buyten (Marseille and Belgium) 35 games, 8 goals **

ESM Team of the Year, UNFP Team of the Season

William Gallas (Chelsea and France) 38 games, 4 goals **

Ivan Helguera (Real Madrid and Spain) 33 games, 6 goals **

Sid Lowe’s Team of the Year, Don Balon Team of the Year

La Liga Winner

Sol Campbell (Arsenal and England) 33 games, 2 goals *

FA Cup Winner

Philippe Mexes (Auxerre and France) 34 games, 1 goal *

UNFP Team of the Season

French Cup Winner

Thomas Linke (Bayern Munich and Germany) 32 games, 0 goals *

12th highest rated player in the Bundesliga

Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United and England) 28 games, 0 goals *

Premier League Winner

Sami Hyypia (Liverpool and Finland) 36 games, 3 goals *

Opta Team of the Year

Christian Chivu (Ajax and Netherlands) 26 games, 6 goals *

Nestor Sensini (Udinese and Argentina) 31 games, 3 goals 6.44 *

Highest rated LCD DBS Calcio

Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United and France) 34 games, 1 goal HM

Opta Team of the Year

Premier League Winner

Fabio Cannavaro (Inter and Italy) 28 games, 0 goals 6.16 HM

Claudio Cacapa (Lyon and Brazil) 36 games, 2 goals HM

Ligue 1 Winner

Patrick Muller (Lyon and Switzerland) 35 games, 0 goals HM

Ligue 1 Winner

Sebastian Squillachi (Monaco and France) 35 games, 2 goals HM

Sergei Ignashevich (Lokomotiv Moscow and Russia) 29 games, 1 goal HM

Timmy Simons (Club Brugge and Belgium) 33 games, 7 goals HM

John Terry (Chelsea and England) 20 games, 3 goals HM

Gareth Southgate (Middlesbrough and England) 36 games, 2 goals HM

Defensive Midfield

Claude Makelele (Real Madrid and France) 29 games, 0 goals ***

Onze de Onze

La Liga Winner

Gennaro Gattuso (Milan and Italy) 25 games, 2 goals 6.14 **

Alex Tacchinardi (Juventus and Italy) 27 games, 2 goals 6.25 *

Serie A Winner

Mauro Silva (Deportivo La Coruna and Brazil) 32 games, 0 goals *

Zvonimir Soldo (Stuttgart and Croatia) 28 games, 1 goals *

Summer I/K2

Benoit Pedretti (Sochaux and France) 35 games, 3 goals *

UNFP Team of the Season

Diego Simeone (Lazio and Argentina) 24 games, 7 goals 6.35 *

3rd highest rated MCC DBS Calcio

Central Midfield

Xabi Alonso (Real Sociedad and Spain) 33 games, 3 goals ***

La Liga Spanish Player of the Year, Don Balon Team of the Year, Sid Lowe’s Team of the Year,

Patrick Vieira (Arsenal and France) 24 games, 3 goals ***

PFA Team of the Year, Opta Team of the Year, Onze de Onze, Sky Sports Team of the Season

FA Cup Winner

Edgar Davids (Juventus and Netherlands) 26 games, 1 goals *** 6.42

Serie A Winner

3rd Highest Ranked INC DBS Calcio

Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich and Germany) 26 games, 10 goals **

German Footballer of the Year, Winter I/K1, Summer I/K1

Andrea Pirlo (Milan and Italy) 27 games, 9 goals 6.14 **

Clarence Seedorf (Milan and Netherlands) 29 games, 4 goals ** 6.13

Emerson (Roma and Brazil) 31 games, 2 goals ** 6.45

2nd highest rated ACS DBS Calcio

David Pizarro (Udinese and Chile) 33 games, 7 goals ** 6.42

2nd highest rated INC DBS Calcio

Stephen Appiah (Brescia and Ghana) 6.58

Highest rated MCC DBS Calcio

Roy Keane (Manchester United and Republic of Ireland) 21 games, 0 goals *

Opta Team of the Year

Premier League Winner

Danny Murphy (Liverpool and England) 36 games, 7 goals *

Liverpool Player of the Season

Ruben Baraja (Valencia and Spain) 35 games, 5 goals *

Frank Lampard (Chelsea and England) 38 games, 6 goals *

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool and England) 34 games, 5 goals *

Michael Essien (Bastia and Ghana) 29 games, 6 goals *

UNFP Team of the Season

Tiago (Benfica and Portugal) 31 games, 13 goals *

Maniche (Porto and Portugal) 29 games, 6 goals *

Barry Ferguson (Rangers and Scotland) 36 games, 16 goals *

Scottish PFA Player of the Year, Scottish FWA Player of the Year

SPL Winner, Scottish League Cup Winner

Paul Lambert (Celtic and Scotland) 31 games, 3 goals *

Attacking Midfield

Pavel Nedved (Juventus and Czech Republic) 29 games, 9 goals *** 6.74

Ballon d’Or, Serie A Foreign Footballer of the Year, ESM Team of the Year, UEFA Midfielder of the Year, UEFA Team of the Year

Serie A Winner

Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid and France) 33 games, 9 goals ***

FIFA World Player of the Year, Onze D’Argent, ESM Team of the Year, Sid Lowe’s La Liga Player of the Season (2nd), Sid Lowe’s Team of the Year, Don Balon Team of the Year, UEFA Team of the Year

La Liga Winner

Paul Scholes (Manchester United and England) 33 games, 14 goals ***

PFA Player of the Year Shortlist, PFA Team of the Year, Opta Team of the Year, Sky Sports Team of the Season

Premier League Winner

Deco (Porto and Portugal) 30 games, 10 goals **

Valeri Karpin (Real Sociedad and Russia) 36 games, 8 goals **

Don Balon Team of the Year

Ludovic Giuly (Monaco and France) 36 games, 11 goals **

UNFP Team of the Season

Juninho Pernambucano (Lyon and Brazil) 31 games, 13 goals **

Ligue 1 Winner

Pablo Aimar (Valencia and Argentina) 31 games, 8 goals **

Rui Costa (Milan and Portugal) 25 games, 0 goals 6.15 *

Marcelinho (Hertha Berlin and Brazil) 33 games, 14 goals *

Summer I/K1

Ja-Jay Okocha (Bolton and Nigeria) 31 games, 7 goals *

Krassimir Balakov (Stuttgart and Bulgaria) 28 games, 2 goals *

Rafael van der Vaart (Ajax and Netherlands) 21 games, 18 goals *

Tomas Rosicky (Borussia Dortmund and Czech Republic) 30 games, 4 goals HM

Stefano Fiore (Lazio and Italy) 33 games, 6 goals 6.27 HM

Highest rated ACD DBS Calcio

Eric Carriere (Lyon and France) 37 games, 6 goals HM

Ligue 1 Winner

Dimitri Loskov (Lokomotiv Moscow and Russia) 30 games, 7 goals HM

Olivier Kapo (Auxerre and France) 21 games, 6 goals HM

Eugenio Corini (Chievo and Italy) 30 games, 5 goals 6.33 HM

Thomas Locatelli (Bologna and Italy) 26 games, 5 goals 6.31 HM

Sergen Yalcin (Besiktas and Turkey) 27 games, 11 goals HM

Turkish Player of the Year

Turkish League Winner

Winger

Robert Pires (Arsenal and France) 26 games, 14 goals ***

PFA Team of the Year, Opta Team of the Year

FA Cup Winner

Damien Duff (Blackburn and Republic of Ireland) 26 games, 9 goals **

Dejan Stankovic (Lazio and Serbia) 29 games, 6 goals 6.50 **

Highest rated INC DBS Calcio

Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus and Italy) 30 games, 4 goals 6.27 **

2nd highest rated ACD DBS Calcio

Serie A Winner

Joseba Etxeberria (Athletic Bilbao and Spain) 33 games, 14 goals **

Javi De Pedro (Real Sociedad and Spain) 29 games, 6 goals **

Arjen Robben (PSV Eindhoven and Netherlands) 33 games, 12 goals *

Eredivisie Winner

Luis Figo (Real Madrid and Portugal) 33 games, 10 goals *

UEFA Team of the Year

La Liga Winner

Jerome Rothen (Monaco and France) 37 games, 4 goals *

UNFP Team of the Season

Ryan Giggs (Manchester United and Wales) 36 games, 8 goals *

Premier League Winner

David Beckham (Manchester United and England) 31 games, 6 goals *

Onze de Bronze, UEFA Team of the Year

Premier League Winner

Mehdi Mahdavikia (Hamburg and Iran) 26 games, 2 goals *

Summer I/K1

Simao Sabrosa (Benfica and Portugal) 33 games, 18 goals *

Kieron Dyer (Newcastle and England) 35 games, 2 goals *

PFA Team of the Year

Alex Hleb (Stuttgart and Belarus) 34 games, 4 goals *

Ze Roberto (Bayern Munich and Brazil) 31 games, 1 goal

Emre (Inter and Turkey) 25 games, 3 goals 6.29 HM

Stelios Giannakopoulos (Olympiakos and Greece) 29 games, 15 goals HM

Greek League Winner

Vicente (Valencia and Spain) 28 games, 1 goal HM

Florent Malouda (Guingamp and France) 37 games, 10 goals HM

Forward

Thierry Henry (Arsenal and France) 37 games, 24 goals ***

Ballon d’Or (2nd), FIFA World Player of the Year (2nd), Onze D’Or, PFA Player of the Year, FWA Player of the Year, French Player of the Year (FF), Opta Team of the Year, UEFA Team of the Year, Sky Sports Team of the Season

FA Cup Winner

Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus and Italy) 24 games, 16 goals *** 6.48

Serie A Winner

Adrian Mutu (Parma and Romania) 31 games, 18 goals *** 6.63

Highest rated player in Gazzetta dello Sport, Highest rated SP DBS Calcio

Raul (Real Madrid and Spain) 31 games, 16 goals **

La Liga Winner

Francesco Totti (Roma and Italy) 24 games, 14 goals 6.55 **

2nd highest rated SP DBS Calcio

Gianfranco Zola (Chelsea and Italy) 38 games, 14 goals **

PFA Player of the Year Shortlist, Chelsea Player of the Year

Harry Kewell (Leeds and Australia) 31 games, 14 goals *

Sylvain Wiltord (Arsenal and France) 34 games, 10 goals *

FA Cup Winner

Antonio Di Natale (Empoli and Italy) 27 games, 13 goals 6.54 *

3rd highest rated SP DBS Calcio

Claudio Lopez (Lazio and Argentina) 34 games, 15 goals 6.43 *

Roberto Baggio (Brescia and Italy) 32 games, 12 goals 6.33 *

Alvaro Recoba (Inter and Uruguay) 27 games, 9 goals 6.22 *

Giuseppe Signori (Bologna and Italy) 24 games, 12 goals 6.24 *

Ronaldinho (Paris Saint-Germain and Brazil) 27 games, 8 goals *

Wayne Rooney (Everton and England) 33 games, 6 goals

Striker

Roy Makaay (Deportivo la Coruna and Netherlands) 38 games, 29 goals ***

European Golden Boot, La Liga Foreign Player of the Year, Don Balon Team of the Year, ESM Team of the Year, Sid Lowe’s La Liga Player of the Season (3rd), Sid Lowe’s Team of the Year

Christian Vieri (Inter and Italy) 23 games, 24 goals 6.28 ***

Capocannoniere, ESM Team of the Year, 2nd highest rated striker DBS Calcio

Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United and Netherlands) 34 games, 25 goals ***

UEFA Club Forward of the Year, Premier League Top Scorer, Champions League Top Scorer, Premier League Player of the Season, UEFA Team of the Year, PFA Player of the Year Shortlist, Opta Team of the Year, Sky Sports Team of the Season

Premier League Winner

Ronaldo (Real Madrid and Brazil) 31 games, 23 goals ***

FIFA World Player of the Year (3rd), Don Balon Team of the Year, Onze de Onze

La Liga Winner

Nihat Kahveci (Real Sociedad and Turkey) 35 games, 23 goals ***

Sid Lowe’s La Liga Player of the Season, Sid Lowe’s Team of the Year, Don Balon Team of the Year

Mateja Kezman (PSV Eindhoven and Serbia) 33 games, 35 goals **

ESM Team of the Year, Dutch player of the Year

Eredivisie Winner

Darko Kovacevic (Real Sociedad and Serbia) 36 games, 20 goals **

James Beattie (Southampton and England) 38 games, 23 goals **

PFA Player of the Year Shortlist

Shabani Nonda (Monaco and Democratic Republic of Congo) 35 games, 26 goals **

UNFP Team of the Season

Mark Viduka (Leeds and Australia) 33 games, 20 goals *

Michael Owen (Liverpool and England) 35 games, 19 goals *

Alan Shearer (Newcastle and England) 35 games, 17 goals *

PFA Player of the Year Shortlist

Pippo Inzaghi (Milan and Italy) 30 games, 17 goals 6.12 *

Adriano (Parma and Brazil) 27 games, 15 goals 6.45 *

Highest rated striker DBS Calcio

Patrick Kluivert (Barcelona and Netherlands) 36 games, 16 goals *

Pierre van Hooijdonck (Feyenoord and Netherlands) 28 games, 28 goals *

Giovane Elber (Bayern Munich and Brazil) 33 games, 21 goals *

Thomas Christiansen (Bochum and Spain) 34 games, 21 goals *

Pauleta (Bordeaux and Portugal) 37 games, 23 goals *

Ligue 1 Player of the Year, UNFP Team of the Season

Henrik Larsson (Celtic and Scotland) 35 games, 28 goals *

Kevin Kuranyi (Stuttgart and Germany) 32 games, 15 goals HM

Didier Drogba (Guingamp and Ivory Coast) 34 games, 17 goals HM

Dirk Kuyt (Utrecht and Netherlands) 34 games, 20 goals HM

Dutch Cup Winner

Bernardo Corradi (Lazio and Italy) 32 games, 10 goals

Jan Koller (Borussia Dortmund and Czech Republic) 34 games, 13 goals HM

25. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Yes, he was. That was a mistake. I haven't downgraded him.