The best players of the season 2002-3

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Apr 18, 2018.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Any help gratefully received. My initial suggestions are below:

Goalkeepers

Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus and Italy) 6.38

Francesco Toldo (Inter and Italy) 6.31

Carlo Cudicini (Chelsea and Italy)

Sander Westerweld (Real Sociedad and Netherlands)

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid and Spain)

Gregory Coupet (Lyon and France)

Morgan De Sanctis (Udinese and Italy) 6.40

Dida (Milan and Brazil) 6.14

Angelo Peruzzi (Lazio and Italy) 6.37

Brad Friedel (Blackburn and USA)

Vitor Baia (Porto and Portugal)

Oliver Kahn (Bayern and Germany)

Jens Lehmann (Borussia Dortmund and Germany)

Frank Rost (Schalke and Germany)

Petr Cech (Rennes and Czech Republic)

Full-back

Paulo Ferreira (Porto and Portugal)

Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid and Brazil)

Michel Salgado (Real Madrid and Spain)

Carles Puyol (Barcelona and Spain)

Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich and France)

Lilian Thuram (Juventus and France) 6.25

Javier Zanetti (Inter and Argentina) 6.26

Ashley Cole (Arsenal and England)

John O’Shea (Manchester United and Republic of Ireland)

Andreas Hinkel (Stuttgart and Germany)

Gary Neville (Manchester United and England)

Giuseppe Favalli (Lazio and Italy) 6.29

Wayne Bridge (Southampton and England)

Hatem Trabelsi (Ajax and Tunisia)

Centre-back

Paolo Maldini (Milan and Italy) 6.30

Alessandro Nesta (Milan and Italy) 6.21

Ciro Ferrara (Juventus and Italy) 6.24

Daniel Van Buyten (Marseille and Belgium)

William Gallas (Chelsea and France)

Sol Campbell (Arsenal and England)

Roberto Fabian Ayala (Valencia and Argentina)

Ivan Helguera (Real Madrid and Spain)

Philippe Mexes (Auxerre and France)

Fabio Cannavaro (Inter and Italy) 6.16

Jaap Stam (Lazio and Netherlands) 6.32

Thomas Linke (Bayern Munich and Germany)

Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United and England)

Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United and France)

John Terry (Chelsea and England)

Sami Hyypia (LIverpool and Finland)

Nestor Sensini (Udinese and Argentina) 6.44

Philippe Mexes (Auxerre and France)

Claudio Cacapa (Lyon and Brazil)

Patrick Muller (Lyon and Switzerland)

Sebastian Squillachi (Monaco and France)

Sergei Ignashevich (Lokomotiv Moscow and Russia)

Timmy Simons (Club Brugge and Belgium)

Gareth Southgate (Middlesbrough and England)

Defensive Midfield

Gennaro Gattuso (Milan and Italy) 6.14

Claude Makelele (Real Madrid and France)

Alex Tacchinardi (Juventus and Italy) 6.25

Mauro Silva (Deportivo La Coruna and Brazil)

Zvonimir Soldo (Stuttgart and Croatia)

Benoit Pedretti (Sochaux and France)

Diego Simeone (Lazio and Argentina) 6.35

Central Midfield

Xabi Alonso (Real Sociedad and Spain)

Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich and Germany)

Patrick Vieira (Arsenal and France)

Andrea Pirlo (Milan and Italy) 6.14

Edgar Davids (Juventus and Netherlands) 6.42

Clarence Seedorf (Milan and Netherlands) 6.13

Emerson (Roma and Brazil) 6.45

David Pizarro (Udinese and Chile) 6.42

Roy Keane (Manchester United and Republic of Ireland)

Danny Murphy (Liverpool and England)

Ruben Baraja (Valencia and Spain)

Frank Lampard (Chelsea and England)

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool and England)

Michael Essien (Bastia and Ghana)

Tiago (Benfica and Portugal)

Maniche (Porto and Portugal)

Barry Ferguson (Rangers and Scotland)

Paul Lambert (Celtic and Scotland)

Attacking Midfield

Pavel Nedved (Juventus and Czech Republic) 6.74

Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid and France)

Paul Scholes (Manchester United and England)

Deco (Porto and Portugal)

Valeri Karpin (Real Sociedad and Russia)

Ludovic Giuly (Monaco and France)

Juninho Pernambucano (Lyon and Brazil)

Pablo Aimar (Valencia and Argentina)

Rui Costa (Milan and Portugal) 6.15

Marcelinho (Hertha Berlin and Brazil)

Ja-Jay Okocha (Bolton and Nigeria)

Krassimir Balakov (Stuttgart and Bulgaria)

Stefano Fiore (Lazio and Italy) 6.27

Dimitri Loskov (Lokomotiv Moscow and Russia)

Olivier Kapo (Auxerre and France)

Thomas Locatelli (Bologna and Italy) 6.31

Eugenio Corini (Chievo and Italy) 6.33

Winger

Robert Pires (Arsenal and France)

Damien Duff (Blackburn and Republic of Ireland)

Dejan Stankovic (Lazio and Serbia) 6.50

Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus and Italy) 6.27

Joseba Etxeberria (Athletic Bilbao and Spain)

Javi De Pedro (Real Sociedad and Spain)

Arjen Robben (PSV Eindhoven and Netherlands)

Jerome Rothen (Monaco and France)

Kieron Dyer (Newcastle and England)

Ryan Giggs (Manchester United and Wales)

David Beckham (Manchester United and England)

Mehdi Mahdavikia (Hamburg and Iran)

Simao Sabrosa (Benfica and Portugal)

Alex Hleb (Stuttgart and Belarus)

Emre (Inter and Turkey) 6.29

Stelios Giannakopoulos (Olympiakos and Greece)

Vicente (Valencia and Spain)

Florent Malouda (Guingamp and France)

Forward

Thierry Henry (Arsenal and France)

Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus and Italy) 6.48

Adrian Mutu (Parma and Romania) 6.63

Gianfranco Zola (Chelsea and Italy)

Raul (Real Madrid and Spain)

Francesco Totti (Roma and Italy) 6.55

Harry Kewell (Leeds and Australia)

Ronaldinho (Paris Saint-Germain and Brazil)

Sylvain Wiltord (Arsenal and France)

Antonio Di Natale (Empoli and Italy) 6.54

Claudio Lopez (Lazio and Argentina) 6.43

Roberto Baggio (Brescia and Italy) 6.33

Alvaro Recoba (Inter and Uruguay) 6.22

Giuseppe Signori (Bologna and Italy) 6.24

Striker

Roy Makaay (Deportivo la Coruna and Netherlands)

Christian Vieri (Inter and Italy) 6.28

Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United and Netherlands)

Ronaldo (Real Madrid and Brazil)

Nihat Kahveci (Real Sociedad and Turkey)

Darko Kovacevic (Real Sociedad and Serbia)

James Beattie (Southampton and England)

Mark Viduka (Leeds and Australia)

Michael Owen (Liverpool and England)

Alan Shearer (Newcastle and England)

Pippo Inzaghi (Milan and Italy) 6.12

Adriano (Parma and Brazil) 6.45

Mateja Kezman (PSV Eindhoven and Serbia)

Pierre van Hooijdonck (Feyenoord and Netherlands)

Giovane Elber (Bayern Munich and Brazil)

Kevin Kuranyi (Stuttgart and Germany)

Thomas Christiansen (Bochum and Spain)

Shabani Nonda (Monaco and Democratic Republic of Congo)

Pauleta (Bordeaux and Portugal)

Didier Drogba (Guingamp and Ivory Coast)

Dirk Kuyt (Utrecht and Netherlands)

Henrik Larsson (Celtic and Scotland)

PuckVanHeel and PDG1978 repped this.
  2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I'll think about this but it can take a few days.

I definitely agree that this was one of the seasons where Buffon was the best in the world. If he retires after the current season, and I think the past 5 years you did see his age at some big occasions, he would be one of the few over-30 players to retire and still (reasonably) perceived as the best in his job (from NLD Cruijff and VdS - for ex. Michael Cox thought so about VdS - are the obvious cases).

I think Nesta had a good case to be the world's best center back. In the Serie A he had at worst two rivals and that's it. I prefer him over his veteran colleague Maldini. Maldini was punctured in the Champions League semi final against Obafemi Martins, and there were some other scenes too. Maldini was good (and had improved his footballing/passing aspect), but Nesta was the world's best with at worst one or two league rivals (the elegant and silky Ferrara, the often calm and assured Stam who made ESM despite playing for 'low' Lazio).

Since Milan was more successful in the Champions League as in the league (still together with Lazio, Inter and Juventus one of the better defensive records, relative to goals scored), I was thinking about this aspect. It's tempting to overdo the Milan players, on paper it is a superteam. Many of them will/should have a case for their Champions League contribution, like Zidane in 2001-02.

I don't have strong feelings on the full-backs, other than that the Thuram-Zambrotta tandem worked excellently in the semi finals against Real Madrid. At times it showed the full repertoire of both and in a way they released each other.

comme repped this.
  3. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I don't agree that much with this ranking but some while back I found this in the July 2003 edition of Placar

[​IMG]

The Potter, PDG1978 and comme repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    For the wingers Ze Roberto and Figo come to mind (first wanted to name Claudio Lopez too but see he was already listed). I understand Figo has already many stars, and yes he wasn't as nimble as before, but he recovered something of his dribbling compared to 2001-02. I think/observe he was the best dribbler of his team, from a consistency aspect. His goals are significantly boosted a lot by penalties (there are more) but 11-12 league assists and 3 more in the Champions League (same number as Zidane) is a nice record. I tend to agree he didn't merit inclusion in 2001-02.

Ze Roberto was one of the best technicians of Bayern Munich (with often sidelined/benched Scholl) and he was one of the top providers of the league (#2 overall). His outside demeanor and play wasn't as expansive as the Brazilian stars, but also 'un-Brazilian attacker' was his regard for team structure and a professional attitude that brought him a long career (also 'un-Brazilian' = not being a one-route winger?). At the time they showed the Bundesliga on terrestrial television here, and when I saw them I thought he was their most creative player honestly - and clearly he had some end product too. But if one expects great aplomb, then no.

Players with 5+ assists league assists for the Spanish teams that qualified for European football:

Real Madrid: Figo 11 assists, Zidane 8 assists, Raul 7 assists, Roberto Carlos 6 assists
    Real Sociedad: De Pedro 13 assists, Nihat 5 assists ([...] Xabi Alonso 2 assists)
    Deportivo la Coruna: Victor 9 assists, Sergio 6 assists, Luque 5 assists
    Celta de Vigo: Edu 5 assists
    Valencia: Baraja 5 assists
    Barcelona: Kluivert 8 assists, Riquelme 5 assists (includes set pieces)

The high regard Roy Makaay was held in is interesting (regard by for ex. Don Balon). In many ways I think he was better in 1999-00, when Deportivo won the league and he had - really - no fewer than 16 league assists.

Maybe @PDG1978 will show his ideas later?

leadleader and comme repped this.
  5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    If some things come to my mind (which is presently focused on editing all-time players I guess lol regarding poetgooner's Football Manager thread, and secondly has been focused on the 2002 World Cup of course) I will add some comments yeah, although it is more and more the case that we are getting past the threshold of me being able to add things from memory that comme might be unaware of I think, and it could be more likely he'd be seeing and reading more than myself by this time.

@Perú FC might be worth involving, given that he continued the work of Tom Stevens on the Ballon d'Or lists thread of course.

Nice Placar article you found!

And interesting assist data from Spain. Bit of a come down season for Joaquin and Valeron I guess after the previous one. Yes, Figo had especially in 2002 I think been struggling for form/fitness hadn't he and although the raw data on chances created seems good had also disappointed (along with Portugal in general) in the World Cup, but I can see the argument for re-introducing him anyway, and he had that quality and notable goal vs Man United didn't he too for example...

I guess the strikers Ronaldo and Henry might both have risen in estimations (including in Brazil) during the rest of 2003 too, so maybe it's not a complete shock to see RvN appear above them in that article, having just completed a second very effective season for Manchester United who had at least become Champions of England again.

comme and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

Thanks. Your comments on the strikers made me to finish the research and recollection of this category first (also not the hardest category as I think it's pretty clear-cut which four/five strikers merit a world class rating)

To an extent the El Grafico list is a 'shock' since RvN didn't play that well against Argentina. Grossly speaking he did better than Ronaldo that year for the national team though (in the big qualifier against Czech Republic, against 'tough' teams as Germany), by a noticeable margin.

(longer highlights here)

At his best, the best 90 or 45 minutes, I think Ronaldo remained the premier individual among the strikers, albeit not by default the most creative striker from a passing/aiding perspective - certainly there have been Ballon d'Or winning strikers, including Weah, who were more of a constant and creative provider.

At the middle of april, Ronaldo had completed 3.25 dribbles per 90 minutes in the league, at a success rate of 53% (source).

I think though there were some doubts about his application and his consistency, the more so against bigger teams. Also in the Old Trafford match (a peak that RvN possibly didn't reach that season), his usual dribbling and quality play was not visible. This is almost certainly the reason why Don Balon picked another striker as 'foreign player of the season'.

I like to think 2002-03 was Ronaldo his best season at Real Madrid, with a noticeable drop from 2004 onward (the more so at the beginning of the 2005-06 season). He had an effect in the semi finals against Juventus, and was also productive in other 'big' matches.

For Van Nistelrooij there could hardly be doubts about his consistency. In this season he set the record of scoring in 10 consecutive league games (later in 2016 broken by Jamie Vardy), as well as scoring in 9 consecutive Champions League games (just recently bettered by Cristiano Ronaldo). Including the qualification round it is even 10 consecutive Champions League games. In each game he scored, including both quarter final games against Real Madrid (which his team lost). That he didn't win the Champions League this season is thus not directly his fault.

That's no small feat with many of the '1999 treble' generation on the wane and plainly criticized for their decline - Manchester United was until the middle of the season not expected to compete for the Premier League. Furthermore, in the league he consistently produced against the main competitors.

As mentioned in the 2001-02 thread, he was also slightly (or not so slightly) more creative in continental and international games. Turned into a better provider and pre-assister with decent/adequate vision (although he reached his ability peak at Real Madrid and euro 2008). You don't collect more Champions League assists (in the main tournament) than league assists by coincidence.

This facet within the continental games helps in the survey and conceals some weaknesses. It looks also nice he was both Champions League topscorer - twice as many goals as Ronaldo - and Premier League topscorer, while Ronaldo was joint #2 in his league with the same number of goals (and non-penalty goals!) as Real Sociedad's Nihat.

From a more broader perspective it was his misfortune to always be compared to Thierry Henry, Kluivert and Van Basten. I do have the greatest respect for how he returned from four horrific knee injuries, with the fifth as one too many.

I think the first four/five names are all realistic choices for ***. Struggle a tiny bit with Nihat's quality of play and influence.

Yes, it (always) helps - in previous days more so - to pile up a body of work. He was already a dangerous Champions League goalscorer while at PSV.

PDG1978 repped this.
  7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #7 PuckVanHeel, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

This from later that year (the 2003-04 season) but illustrates a bit what I mean. Less 'fox in the box' in international games for club and country, which plausibly skews perceptions in such surveys (I wouldn't place him #2 overall, behind Zidane across all positions, but wouldn't have Zidane at #1 either haha).

I think it's perfectly fine to place Ronaldo ahead, on his peak moments and his dribbling prowess, but it's definitely not that he was a better provider (this season, and not during his peak moments either) and there were doubts about his application and consistency. Which was unfair with respect to his scoring record against good teams (which was good and strong, probably the best of all Madrid seasons) but not unfair with respect to his flair elements and dribbling against good teams (also that Old Traffor match). There was the expectation/hope that he would have a Compostela moment against the top. I hope I'm not biased here, lol.

Can't think of or see strikers that need to be in, but aren't already. Maybe at a stretch Ailton, if there needs to be one. Next post will take a few categories together, but likely takes two days.

8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #8 PuckVanHeel, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Some gathered ideas on the forwards:

Someone who might get in is Rosicky of Dortmund, who was constantly good in the Champions League (and in the one bad game against Real Madrid he was at least productive). If it's only about CL form then I am leaning to a yes.

I think Thierry Henry reached the peak of his physical powers in the 2003 year. He was absolutely dominant with his pace and his dribbles, and peppered the goalmouth like Cristiano. It has also his best Champions League games for Arsenal, leaving renowned defenders for dead. He has his best performances for the national team in 2003. He was dominant in the confederations cup and he made Germany (renowned for their physical state) look untypically slow, unfit and sluggish.
    In the league he had more assists than the #2 (Giggs) and #3 (Bergkamp) combined. Even without set pieces he is still by a respectable margin #1. I think Henry is comfortably the best forward.

Del Piero had his best season in the years after his big injury (markedly better than 2007-08 in my perception). He was especially good in the first few months when Juventus was struggling with results. He cushioned their fall. Then after november he had notable games against AS Roma, the 2nd leg against Real Madrid (gazzetta graded with 7.5) and Brescia, where team-mates (Davids, Ferrara) congratulated him with his performance (you can see that on tape, after the final whistle). Del Piero was reclaiming his prominent place in the national team. A negative thing is that he received an insufficient grade for his quarter-final (Barcelona), 1st leg semi final (Real Madrid) and final (AC Milan). Buffon, Thuram, Ferrara and the productive/creating players Davids and Nedved were all more consistent and reached some strong grades too. Gazzetta dello Sport rated ADP higher than Totti for this year.

Mutu was the top graded player by Gazzetta and also DBScalcio. From a production perspective (goals and assists; non-penalty goals and open play assists) he's the top man in Serie A. He did what he was expected to do for the UEFA Cup and ended on the shortlist for player of the year in Italy. He has a strong case for #2 behind Henry. His approach to the game was more similar to ADP than to Totti. In his forward movement and wing play he was good.

Raul had maybe, arguably so, his last season as one of the top forwards in the world (the more so after halfway 2003-04). He lost a chunk of his mobility, and became bulkier and wider in frame, by 2004. It's nice Placar/El Grafico shows him high since that wasn't always the case. I think the comparison with Thomas Muller is appropriate (albeit with more elegance and a prince like style).

Among the veterans Zola was head and shoulders the best. Since he's an attacking player, maybe even #1 veteran overall. He had 14 non-penalty goals and 7 assists in 38 league games (or 0.70 per 90 minutes).

His form and shape is well-illustrated by this:

I don't think other veterans had that type of physical form and shape. Like Del Piero, but unlike Baggio, he could also fit within team tactics quite easily. I think - and I don't want to say this lightly - that Zola is a main candidate for the best 36/37 years old player there was in the past 50 years.

On Baggio there was recently this interesting podcast (between the 2nd and 24th minute). Marcotti re-iterated there his position that Baggio for the top teams (Juventus, Milan, Inter) had 1.5 good years when adding it all up.

Often I doubt whether Baggio was really that good for Brescia. This 2002-03 season he had 7 non-penalty goals across all competitions, and 5 assists from open play in all games - and he wasn't the type to make his team 'tick' or pre-assist a lot (which Totti did). To an extent caused by his fitness problems.
    Let's look at the quality of his team-mates, even if on the way up or the way down. In 2000-01 his team-mates collected 373 caps between them. In 2001-02 it was 414 caps. In 2002-03 482 caps. In 2003-04 it went down to 247 caps, after which he retired. From time to time he had his sparks:

(here he shows a higher team play than usual)

I doubt whether he was better or more influential than veteran Bergkamp, who admittedly had a better form in 2001-02 and 2003 to 2005 (still once again among the three best assisters and best pre-assister of the league). Who had some good Champions League games against Dortmund (best rated of the field by kicker), Ajax (in the quarter finals beaten in the last seconds by Milan), PSV and AS Roma (click link for notable scene).
    But yes, at the end of the season in the FA Cup final or the fatal game against Leeds (costing them the championship) he wasn't at his best shape. Zola's take on ability at his age was something else.

9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Baggio his best seasons for Brescia are his first and his last imho (both edging/bordering on **).

10. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Worthy additions would be imho Eric Carriere of Lyon and Rafael van der Vaart of Ajax. Ajax played actually good against Milan and were knocked out in the last seconds by Tomasson (ex-Feyenoord)

Pavel Nedved was really fantastic in (almost) all major games he played in. From the later Champions League games (his only weak game is the 0-3 loss at home to Manchester United), to the major league games. In the league games against AC Milan (the 2-1 win, not the 2-1 loss) he showed great perception and vision.

I like Scholes for his season but think he would fit better among the forwards, where he started his career. Manchester United played basically an adaptation of the 4-4-2 with Scholes as 2nd forward and also pressing considerably on the opposition defenders. He has 14 league goals (without pens) and 3 assists, which is simply not the usual profile of an attacking midfielder, but more like a forward. In the Champions League it was on many occasions a bit different, where he had 1 goal and 2 assists in 9 games.

In the classic and crucial game against Arsenal he had some of the best touches of the game I feel.

Here on 21:30. It is maybe only rivaled or bettered by DB10 his touches such as the one for the goal at 54:54 (yes, Ashley Cole still had a lot to do there)

This season together with (the first half of) 2006-07 are his best cases for a world class season.

This was Zidane his best and most productive league season for Real Madrid (although I saw Sid Lowe was less convinced but tbh I don't agree really). In the Champions League he was a bit underwhelming (but played good against Manchester United, again). Did he deserve the world player of the year? Possibly not, but in difficult situations he had an added value for Real Madrid. Real Madrid had a negative result against #2 Real Sociedad, where Zidane was simply not fit and subbed out prematurely in both matches. He also missed the away match against Barcelona (0-0 draw).

There is a realistic argument possible - Real Madrid had not won the league without Zidane (and league titles have been fairly rare for them the last 25 years, lol).

comme repped this.
  11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I tried to find some examples from only this season (2002-03) to show the "more Champions League assists than league assists in his five Manchester United seasons" point.

Here at 0:37 a through-ball for the 2-1.

Or alternatively on the break and counter-attacks, with United playing less adventurous (after having scoring 2)

At 4:20

:thumbsup: I think for something like the El Grafico survey that helps. For once a Dutch/low countries player is not short-changed but inflated ;)

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Sorry, Rosicky fits better in the attacking midfielders after looking further. He was so productive in the Champions League that I started to think he had freed responsibilities.

On his Champions League performances I think he merits a mention. This is against Real Madrid, and funnily it was his 6th best graded game by kicker (it's not his best, yes).

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #13 PuckVanHeel, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Last two categories.

This category maybe merits some expansion. I think without injuries Owen Hargreaves would have been a good one.

Gattuso was a very consistent contributor for Milan down the years, and especially Gazzetta dello Sport loved him. When he was fit he worked for two. In technical terms he was below par, but that's in part also further accentuated, the rest of the midfield was quite technically competent. Just as a mere anecdote: pes stats rates all of them (Pirlo, Seedorf, Rui Costa) on 90 or higher. In this respect they were pretty unique in their time.

I think Makelele just edges it ahead of Gattuso. Makelele did play very well in the Champions League, and was of course solid in the league. Unfortunately Gattuso and Makelele didn't share the same field when Madrid and Milan played each other two times this season (Gazzetta gave Gattuso once again a 7 in the one game he played; Makelele's replacement Cambiasso received a 6, likely bordering on the 5.5).

I don't think Ballack reached nearly the same heights as he did for Leverkusen. The downgrade by kicker to 'international class' shows that, and 0 goals and 0 assists in the Champions League (by any measurement) is a tangible thing too. In the league he was way less productive as he was for 'smaller' Leverkusen, and he didn't have more responsibilities. He received one ESM selection, in September 2002 (the first month). His 12th place in the world player of the year and 20th in Ballon d'Or was possibly on the upper end, while others as the rec.sport.soccer vote placed him as low as 40th (probably too low - 12th is on the upper end). All in all he was rated - as the marketable face - fairly generous, in general. He was a quite attacking minded player.

Vieira > Keane for this year and also the next (then in 2004-05 Keane was better). I appreciated these profiles on Wenger's best players for Arsenal.

Xabi Alonso was very good indeed, I agree. He established himself as starter for the Spanish national team earlier in his career than, for example, Xavi accomplished to do. Later some wild stories surfaced about this Real Sociedad team, lol.

Edgar Davids was in body of work the best creative player (at the same time also a defensive player) for Juventus not named Nedved. Those two were the most consistent players with attacking tasks - those had also the most contributions for reaching the Champions League final. I can advice to watch the matches against #2 Inter.
    Davids his injury in the final was lamented by Gazzetta dello Sport. Davids had his thrust and involvement in the goals in previous crucial games, had consistently solid/good grades, and he was sorely missed in the first leg of the semi final (which they lost 2-1 to Real Madrid). It was fair to be overshadowed by Nedved, who had the gift to think defensive as well. Davids decided to play hardball with Moggi, which wasn't a smart move for the remainder of his career...

Pirlo was class, and when he played his calmness made him into the designated penalty taker. He was also a bit inconsistent and not always used by Ancelotti, especially in the Champions League. As example: in the final he received a 5.5 by Gazzetta and a 3.0 by kicker (below the other three Milan midfielders). He had 0 goals and 0 assists in the Champions League campaign; Ancelotti did not start him in 8 CL games.

Pirlo established himself as a factor for the national team at the end of the 2003-04 season, where he was probably Milan's best midfielder.
    His most notable and best received match is the semi final against Inter (didn't play the other leg).

I'd rate Rui Costa his influence in the Champions League (5 assists, 0 goals) at a higher plateau, and he looked Zidane's peer in the two games he played against him (I recently watched it, to see Redondo vs Makelele at work). Rui Costa and Seedorf were the only Milan midfielders to be honored by ESM (traditionally skewed towards continental exploits).

About the tactically versatile Seedorf (Ancelotti shifted him around to give his midfield the accent he liked - wasn't always good for his flair elements and not good for spectacular grades) there is often the idea in the Netherlands that he was 'lucky'. There is the idea you get the same result if you'd replace Seedorf with, say, Scholes or Iniesta.

A completely forgotten scene is the retiring Rijkaard forecasting after the 1995 final - where he had given the winning assist - Seedorf his long and successful career.

This tends to overlook however his excellent scoring record against rivals Juventus and Inter, and also his contribution in the victorious Champions League campaigns - in often relatively tight and low scoring affairs. In 2002-03 he was after/next to Gattuso arguably the most consistent Milan midfielder in the Champions League. Also think he edges it ahead of Pirlo in the league, where Milan finished 3rd.

Here at 3:18 his crucial half-assist in the semi final against Inter, 1-1 (not counted by UEFA)
    At 1:38 assist against Borussia Dortmund, 0-1 (one-time touch)
    At 1:02 one-two and assist against Bayern Munich, 1-2
    At 0:10 assist against Bayern Munich, 2-1
    The opening goal against Deportivo la Coruna, unlocking the game

This raises the question whether they still win the Champions League (reach the final) if you replace Seedorf with just any other good/great midfielder. He was also injured after 20 minutes in the 1st quarter final leg against Ajax, and missed the 2nd leg, which was very nearly fatal for Milan (some lucky deflections helped them out).

Feel free to give feedback if I've been too harsh on for example Ronaldo.

comme and PDG1978 repped this.
  14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thanks PDG :)

I think at the first few months (also in UCL) Del Piero was at Henry level (soccer-europe doesn't agree but fair enough)

15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #15 PuckVanHeel, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018

Further look on the Champions League games that he missed - forced to miss - between 1994 and 2012 (first and last game): 8 wins, 4 draws, 7 losses. Not an enormously convincing record for these teams I'd say (Real Madrid and Milan). In the 2002-03 season: 2 losses and 1 win.

His record in the UCL games he played is 68W 35D 28L

The UEFA Cup: that is 2W and 1L in matches he missed. This is excluding the 1992-93 UEFA Cup, when he was 16 years old in all matches. If one adds that then it is 6W and 2L.

But of course 'luck' is necessary, as Nedved's case shows.

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

I don't know where to ask but would you agree with this XI they made? (Hargreaves, Savage, Hartson, Sherwood)

Starts at 7:25. Some good comments in there, also on some who missed out (Ljungberg, Parlour).

17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I wouldn't exactly say I decisively 'disagree' but if making a team of my choice I might have 3 changes (all debateable in my own mind even though):
    - As Pires and Overmars were, for Arsenal certainly I feel, better on the left and played more on the left (ditto Sanchez), I'd probably go with Ljungberg (who feasibly was also better from the left though lol, but played a lot and very well at RM) for Overmars.
    - There would be arguments to say the balance becomes worse (as 'open' as my preferences might be compared to some I could see them too and also the factor of Fabregas excelling most in a more advanced role ahead of two CMs eventually) but I'd consider Fabregas for Petit for a place in such a 'best XI' (though presumably not meant to be like an All-Star World Cup type selection of course - I just skipped to the line-up atm though rather than listening to what was said).
    - Personally I rated Kolo Toure quite a lot at his best (I think others did too at the time), but probably wouldn't change the CB partnership eventually so I'll slot him in at right back (where he played very well but not often) rather than Dixon (or Lauren).

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Bit picky but I guess I'd line up Bergkamp slightly behind Henry too! Or at least Henry as the left attacker, so he could drift to the wing as he often did although of course he roamed all over including to the right.

Several of the players did do very well in this 02/03 season anyway I suppose, so there is a link to the thread there!

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #19 PuckVanHeel, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Thanks PDG :) . Largely agree with most of your proposed changes. It's a good discussion in the video though.

I'll say to you here too that - and I know it's abroad not seen that way, but in NLD it is 50/50 - I generally rated the footballer Kluivert above RvN. He also grew 'nicer' over the years (it seems) and that helps too. I watched some videos the past days as a great reminder.

It's to a large extent a what if story but ability wise (even though RvN was more skilled than Inzaghi, Vieri, Trezeguet) he was a step above and one of the most skilled strikers we've had. In the continental and international context he also holds his own against RvN, and his value for the national team was at least as good (inside and outside tournaments a similar strike rate; 8 non-penalty goals in 13 tournament games for Kluivert, 7 in 11 for RvN).

At continental level his strike rate isn't as good as RvN - RvN his strike rate is together with/above Inzaghi the best of his generation - but still very good and top level. Just in that category behind RvN, next to names as Shevchenko, Henry et al. but for example better than Trezeguet. With two finals, three semi finals (one more, a fourth, in the UEFA Cup) and a quarter final he also reached further than RvN did (two semi finals, although the quarter final stage did not exist in some of his prime years) - with four/five of those without Rivaldo for what's worth. And this is thus the same era!

His best league season is arguably 1998-99 when he had 15 goals (no pens) and 16 assists, as a major aid for Rivaldo who won the Ballon d'Or. Rivaldo later said as well that Kluivert was a terrific partner for him.

Here in spoilers some things to watch if you'd like
    Show Spoiler

(and that hasn't even all nice goals/assists... but I've just selected these)

Quite a bit of wasted potential but this was the comparison (RvN9, PK10) that was always made.

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks, always interesting to get your views on Dutch players, ever since you originally Pm'd me an attempt at an All-Time XI (probably this sort of comparison can be at least relevant to an all-time squad that you might select).

I have noticed that in his early years at Ajax he did seem particularly agile and skilful, so I guess that's where the reputation started (maybe you also posted an article from Italy that appeared to value him highly amongst Zidane, Weah etc IIRC).

Actually, on Radio 5Live the Ajax-Bayern semi-final of 94/95 was mentioned re: margin of victory in one leg of a semi-final in regards to Liverpool-Roma, and the commentator called the Ajax team 'the Ajax of Patrick Kluivert' although I do think that's not really representative and no single player should really be picked out but the closest decent call might be 'Litmanen's Ajax'.

I guess this 02/03 season would be the final one he'd be a possible contender regarding comme's lists (although not for this season on par with RvN I guess you'd agree)?

21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Interestingly (and this is relevant to some later posts as well) the EFY said "Of the newcomers, Ballack was easily the most distinguished. Ze Roberto had a poor season by his standards while Deisler spent far too long in the treatment room".

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  22. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Valeron broke his leg which had a big impact.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #24 PuckVanHeel, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Yes, this one
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/la-liga-rankings-1975-93.1813986/page-10#post-34798271

That didn't work out for him well, but nice goal against Juventus there.

Yes, that was Litmanen's Ajax or alternatively Rijkaard's Ajax. Here a nice Australian video from 1996 though. Remains bizarre, but telling, that FIFA placed no Ajax player in the top 13 for 1995. In spite of all the praise and that objectively the average seconds on the ball was lower than ever before.

Yes, 1995-96, and 1998-2001 were more on par with RvN - in 1999-00 he scored 39 goals for his club and country (with 2 penalties). Well everyone has their own ideas on the good players, including yourself and your good independent ideas, but Gabriel Milito his horror tackle lowered his level yes (and lowered his continental + international scoring ratio...), and it was in part also his own fault. He did have a lot of misfortune in his career and then he stopped trying hard. For the national team he was certainly excellent in 2002-03, and also still going strong in the Champions League (without Rivaldo). I see his december 2003 'El Clasico' goal as a nice end marker.

Thanks, ofc there is a subjective element to it.

Yes Ballack was footballer of the year (actually: season) and he became - was made - the face of football in a big market so in that sense "most distinguished", similar to Zidane.
    At the same time I think this exact same circumstance means kicker (or any other publication of note) doesn't do a downgrade lightheartedly, or for fun, and will only contemplate if enough/many arrows are pointing downward. From their videos I do know they like to weigh in things as goals and assists, but it's not always written down, and maybe different, less stat-driven, standards 15 years ago.

Since 2001-02 was so good, one of the very best, there was also a margin.

I wouldn't/didn't say Ze Roberto was better but I suggested him for the winger category and in my impression he was the most creative (see above - no need to repeat it all). Other than Scholl, who was often benched or injured.

In a sense I can get the description because the then 28/29 years old Ze Roberto was a bit more expansive, direct and bursting for Leverkusen. In highlight reels many of his (physically) most impressive goals and most direct moments are from his Leverkusen time, while from his Bayern time other type of moments are included. Although he was maybe better in 2003-04, and this was one of his better matches (grade 3.0, league season average 3.30), but this is grossly how he played

Cheers :)

comme repped this.
  25. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    How does this look as a tentative rating:

Goalkeepers

Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus and Italy) 32 games, 0 goals *** 6.38

Francesco Toldo (Inter and Italy) 32 games, 0 goals 6.31 **

Carlo Cudicini (Chelsea and Italy) 36 games, 0 goals **

Sander Westerweld (Real Sociedad and Netherlands) 37 games, 0 goals **

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid and Spain) 38 games, 0 goals **

Gregory Coupet (Lyon and France) 35 games, 0 goals *

Morgan De Sanctis (Udinese and Italy) 34 games, 0 goals 6.40 *

Dida (Milan and Brazil) 30 games, 0 goals 6.14 *

Angelo Peruzzi (Lazio and Italy) 30 games, 0 goals 6.37 *

Brad Friedel (Blackburn and USA) 37 games, 0 goals *

Vitor Baia (Porto and Portugal) 25 games, 0 goals *

Oliver Kahn (Bayern and Germany) 33 games, 0 goals *

Jens Lehmann (Borussia Dortmund and Germany) 24 games, 0 goals *

Frank Rost (Schalke and Germany) 33 games, 0 goals *

Petr Cech (Rennes and Czech Republic) 37 games, 0 goals HM

Full-back

Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid and Brazil) 37 games, 5 goals ***

Lilian Thuram (Juventus and France) 27 games, 1 goals 6.25 ***

Carles Puyol (Barcelona and Spain) 32 games, 0 goals ***

Paulo Ferreira (Porto and Portugal) 30 games, 0 goals **

Michel Salgado (Real Madrid and Spain) 35 games, 0 goals **

Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich and France) 23 games, 2 goals **

Javier Zanetti (Inter and Argentina) 34 games, 1 goal 6.26 **

Ashley Cole (Arsenal and England) 31 games, 1 goal **

John O’Shea (Manchester United and Republic of Ireland) 32 games, 0 goals **

Andreas Hinkel (Stuttgart and Germany) 33 games, 0 goals *

Gary Neville (Manchester United and England) 26 games, 0 goals *

Giuseppe Favalli (Lazio and Italy) 27 games, 1 goal 6.29 *

Wayne Bridge (Southampton and England) 34 games, 1 goal *

Hatem Trabelsi (Ajax and Tunisia) 26 games, 1 goal *

Centre-back

Paolo Maldini (Milan and Italy) 29 games, 2 goals 6.30 ***

Alessandro Nesta (Milan and Italy) 29 games, 1 goal 6.21 ***

Roberto Fabian Ayala (Valencia and Argentina) 31 games, 1 goal ***

Jaap Stam (Lazio and Netherlands) 28 games, 0 goals 6.32

Ciro Ferrara (Juventus and Italy) 26 games, 0 goals 6.24 **

Daniel Van Buyten (Marseille and Belgium) 35 games, 8 goals **

William Gallas (Chelsea and France) 38 games, 4 goals **

Ivan Helguera (Real Madrid and Spain) 33 games, 6 goals **

Sol Campbell (Arsenal and England) 33 games, 2 goals *

Philippe Mexes (Auxerre and France) 34 games, 1 goal *

Thomas Linke (Bayern Munich and Germany) 32 games, 0 goals *

Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United and England) 28 games, 0 goals *

Sami Hyypia (LIverpool and Finland) 36 games, 3 goals *

Christian Chivu (Ajax and Netherlands) 26 games, 6 goals *

Nestor Sensini (Udinese and Argentina) 31 games, 3 goals 6.44 *

Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United and France) 34 games, 1 goal HM

Fabio Cannavaro (Inter and Italy) 28 games, 0 goals 6.16 HM

Claudio Cacapa (Lyon and Brazil) 36 games, 2 goals HM

Patrick Muller (Lyon and Switzerland) 35 games, 0 goals HM

Sebastian Squillachi (Monaco and France) 35 games, 2 goals HM

Sergei Ignashevich (Lokomotiv Moscow and Russia) 29 games, 1 goal HM

Timmy Simons (Club Brugge and Belgium) 33 games, 7 goals HM

John Terry (Chelsea and England) 20 games, 3 goals HM

Gareth Southgate (Middlesbrough and England) 36 games, 2 goals HM

Defensive Midfield

Claude Makelele (Real Madrid and France) 29 games, 0 goals ***

Gennaro Gattuso (Milan and Italy) 25 games, 2 goals 6.14 **

Alex Tacchinardi (Juventus and Italy) 27 games, 2 goals 6.25 *

Mauro Silva (Deportivo La Coruna and Brazil) 32 games, 0 goals *

Zvonimir Soldo (Stuttgart and Croatia) 28 games, 1 goals *

Benoit Pedretti (Sochaux and France) 35 games, 3 goals *

Diego Simeone (Lazio and Argentina) 24 games, 7 goals 6.35 *

Central Midfield

Xabi Alonso (Real Sociedad and Spain) 33 games, 3 goals ***

Patrick Vieira (Arsenal and France) 24 games, 3 goals ***

Edgar Davids (Juventus and Netherlands) 26 games, 1 goals *** 6.42

Michael Ballack (Bayern Munich and Germany) 26 games, 10 goals **

Andrea Pirlo (Milan and Italy) 27 games, 9 goals 6.14 **

Clarence Seedorf (Milan and Netherlands) 29 games, 4 goals ** 6.13

Emerson (Roma and Brazil) 31 games, 2 goals ** 6.45

David Pizarro (Udinese and Chile) 33 games, 7 goals ** 6.42

Roy Keane (Manchester United and Republic of Ireland) 21 games, 0 goals *

Danny Murphy (Liverpool and England) 36 games, 7 goals *

Ruben Baraja (Valencia and Spain) 35 games, 5 goals *

Frank Lampard (Chelsea and England) 38 games, 6 goals *

Steven Gerrard (Liverpool and England) 34 games, 5 goals *

Michael Essien (Bastia and Ghana) 29 games, 6 goals *

Tiago (Benfica and Portugal) 31 games, 13 goals *

Maniche (Porto and Portugal) 29 games, 6 goals *

Barry Ferguson (Rangers and Scotland) 36 games, 16 goals *

Paul Lambert (Celtic and Scotland) 31 games, 3 goals *

Attacking Midfield

Pavel Nedved (Juventus and Czech Republic) 29 games, 9 goals *** 6.74

Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid and France) 33 games, 9 goals ***

Paul Scholes (Manchester United and England) 33 games, 14 goals ***

Deco (Porto and Portugal) 30 games, 10 goals **

Valeri Karpin (Real Sociedad and Russia) 36 games, 8 goals **

Ludovic Giuly (Monaco and France) 36 games, 11 goals **

Juninho Pernambucano (Lyon and Brazil) 31 games, 13 goals **

Pablo Aimar (Valencia and Argentina) 31 games, 8 goals **

Rui Costa (Milan and Portugal) 25 games, 0 goals 6.15 *

Marcelinho (Hertha Berlin and Brazil) 33 games, 14 goals *

Ja-Jay Okocha (Bolton and Nigeria) 31 games, 7 goals *

Krassimir Balakov (Stuttgart and Bulgaria) 28 games, 2 goals *

Rafael van der Vaart (Ajax and Netherlands) 21 games, 18 goals *

Tomas Rosicky (Borussia Dortmund and Czech Republic) 30 games, 4 goals HM

Stefano Fiore (Lazio and Italy) 33 games, 6 goals 6.27 HM

Eric Carriere (Lyon and France) 37 games, 6 goals HM

Dimitri Loskov (Lokomotiv Moscow and Russia) 30 games, 7 goals HM

Olivier Kapo (Auxerre and France) 21 games, 6 goals HM

Eugenio Corini (Chievo and Italy) 30 games, 5 goals 6.33 HM

Thomas Locatelli (Bologna and Italy) 26 games, 5 goals 6.31 HM

Winger

Robert Pires (Arsenal and France) 26 games, 14 goals ***

Damien Duff (Blackburn and Republic of Ireland) 26 games, 9 goals **

Dejan Stankovic (Lazio and Serbia) 29 games, 6 goals 6.50 **

Mauro Camoranesi (Juventus and Italy) 30 games, 4 goals 6.27 **

Joseba Etxeberria (Athletic Bilbao and Spain) 33 games, 14 goals **

Javi De Pedro (Real Sociedad and Spain) 29 games, 6 goals **

Arjen Robben (PSV Eindhoven and Netherlands) 33 games, 12 goals *

Luis Figo (Real Madrid and Portugal) 33 games, 10 goals *

Jerome Rothen (Monaco and France) 37 games, 4 goals *

Ryan Giggs (Manchester United and Wales) 36 games, 8 goals *

David Beckham (Manchester United and England) 31 games, 6 goals *

Mehdi Mahdavikia (Hamburg and Iran) 26 games, 2 goals *

Simao Sabrosa (Benfica and Portugal) 33 games, 18 goals *

Kieron Dyer (Newcastle and England) 35 games, 2 goals *

Alex Hleb (Stuttgart and Belarus) 34 games, 4 goals *

Emre (Inter and Turkey) 25 games, 3 goals 6.29 HM

Stelios Giannakopoulos (Olympiakos and Greece) 29 games, 15 goals HM

Vicente (Valencia and Spain) 28 games, 1 goal HM

Florent Malouda (Guingamp and France) 37 games, 10 goals HM

Forward

Thierry Henry (Arsenal and France) 37 games, 24 goals ***

Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus and Italy) 24 games, 16 goals *** 6.48

Adrian Mutu (Parma and Romania) 31 games, 18 goals *** 6.63

Raul (Real Madrid and Spain) 31 games, 16 goals **

Francesco Totti (Roma and Italy) 24 games, 14 goals 6.55 **

Gianfranco Zola (Chelsea and Italy) 38 games, 14 goals **

Harry Kewell (Leeds and Australia) 31 games, 14 goals *

Sylvain Wiltord (Arsenal and France) 34 games, 10 goals *

Antonio Di Natale (Empoli and Italy) 27 games, 13 goals 6.54 *

Claudio Lopez (Lazio and Argentina) 34 games, 15 goals 6.43 *

Roberto Baggio (Brescia and Italy) 32 games, 12 goals 6.33 *

Alvaro Recoba (Inter and Uruguay) 27 games, 9 goals 6.22 *

Giuseppe Signori (Bologna and Italy) 24 games, 12 goals 6.24 *

Ronaldinho (Paris Saint-Germain and Brazil) 27 games, 8 goals *

Striker

Roy Makaay (Deportivo la Coruna and Netherlands) 38 games, 29 goals ***

Christian Vieri (Inter and Italy) 23 games, 24 goals 6.28 ***

Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United and Netherlands) 34 games, 25 goals ***

Ronaldo (Real Madrid and Brazil) 31 games, 23 goals ***

Nihat Kahveci (Real Sociedad and Turkey) 35 games, 23 goals ***

Mateja Kezman (PSV Eindhoven and Serbia) 33 games, 35 goals **

Darko Kovacevic (Real Sociedad and Serbia) 36 games, 20 goals **

James Beattie (Southampton and England) 38 games, 23 goals **

Shabani Nonda (Monaco and Democratic Republic of Congo) 35 games, 26 goals **

Mark Viduka (Leeds and Australia) 33 games, 20 goals *

Michael Owen (Liverpool and England) 35 games, 19 goals *

Alan Shearer (Newcastle and England) 35 games, 17 goals *

Pippo Inzaghi (Milan and Italy) 30 games, 17 goals 6.12 *

Adriano (Parma and Brazil) 27 games, 15 goals 6.45 *

Patrick Kluivert (Barcelona and Netherlands) 36 games, 16 goals *

Pierre van Hooijdonck (Feyenoord and Netherlands) 28 games, 28 goals *

Giovane Elber (Bayern Munich and Brazil) 33 games, 21 goals *

Thomas Christiansen (Bochum and Spain) 34 games, 21 goals *

Pauleta (Bordeaux and Portugal) 37 games, 23 goals *

Henrik Larsson (Celtic and Scotland) 35 games, 28 goals *

Kevin Kuranyi (Stuttgart and Germany) 32 games, 15 goals HM