The best players of the season 2001/2

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Mar 30, 2018.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, thanks, I think I might've even watched that Arsenal vs Depor game at the time but saw some of the Valeron/Tristan partnership in the CL on ITV that season anyway. Seem to remember Valeron drawing praise from commentators etc indeed.

Interesting that Arsenal won convincingly in Depor's league championship season (without Valeron playing) but vice versa in that Arsenal domestic double season.

2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes I finished it watching now in the evening (the 2000 game on the road to the UEFA Cup final was a good one too yes), before the UCL game of today.

What cost Arsenal in this game (the 2002 edition) was their defense, and it could have been 0-3 because Sol Campbell had one horrendous backpass without bothering to look.

Valeron indeed the outstanding figure for Depor, in the way described by Voetbal International. He did have a phase where he was invisible. Mauro Silva also good.

For Arsenal I found Pires most impressive. It gives a better impression than the earlier shown Liverpool compilation. One of the three most technical players on the field, dribbled well, thought defensive, was capable with open and closed spaces, very involved.

Henry had not his best match, but one can see he was a world class player and had that level in him. Lively, sometimes dangerous, sometimes mixing up what he wants to do with his feet, dynamic, looking for give and goes.

Tristan a limited footballer, but had a good free kick hitting the crossbar.

Vieira a capable minder. He stepped in to make some fuss after he recognized some concealed and less concealed (vicious) tackles on Bergkamp and Henry. The word 'minder' is appropriate.

Bergkamp relatively invisible, but he stepped up a bit in the 2nd half. The Spanish commentators praised his technical skill, and after the through ball to Ljungberg (who was substitute) resulting in a clear-cut penalty, again some praise. He thought quite defensive as well, something more than Pires even, with more tackles. It's a side that doesn't make highlights or match compilations so easily. That through ball with an inverse spin was a 'magical' moment, just as the left footed shot tipping the crossbar after a flick (just search youtube). Also another good through ball in a crowded area to the outstanding Pires. I can see that you like the involved play of peak Pires.

Kanu had a skilled cameo when Wenger started to field extra attackers.

PDG1978 repped this.
  3. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Beckham had only 4 starts more than Giggs in 2001-02. 23 to 19. Duncan Alexander his Outside the Box book also noted Beckham's productivity decline in his last two seasons for United. Until 2000-01 he had four consecutive seasons above 10 assists, the next two saw 8 and 8.

Interesting that he had later an accomplished game against his alma mater.

To become entirely precise I checked how many set piece assists Bergkamp had each season, across all competitions for club.

1997-98: 1
    1998-99: 1
    1999-00: 1
    2000-01: 1
    2001-02: 2
    ---
    2005-06: 1

That's not a lot. It doesn't change the number of 10+ assists seasons, but like I said I prefer a hierarchy among the forwards. I do think his delivery against the top teams was something special during his time, throughout his career (there are many quite forgotten gems, such as this, and yes also that through-ball against Deportivo was good). Each season/tournament he had a wonder moment like that against a top team.

I think Joaquin is a good suggestion. He indeed was La Liga's top dribbler in this particular season (note: Figo was out of form and/or injured).

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Giggs was also selected by the Football Writers in their Team of the Season.

I was very close to giving Ljungberg 3 stars. He was brilliant at the end of the season and really picked up the baton after Pires got injured.

5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    This is my suggestion for the ranking of the World Class players. Really torn between Ballack and Pires for top spot but the fact Ballack did more in the Champions League counted in his favour.

1. Ballack
    2. Pires
    3. Henry
    4. Valeron
    5. Van Nistelrooy
    6. Trezeguet
    7. Zidane
    8. Lucio
    9. Tristan
    10. Vieri
    11. Kahn
    12. Samuel
    13. Roberto Carlos
    14. Vieira
    15. Ljungberg
    16. Canizares

Perú FC and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #57 PuckVanHeel, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018

I found this interesting review from slightly later (December 2004) on the best paid players:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/4057703.stm

What they say on Beckham, Giggs does match with how I remember/envision it.

The best earners in football in 2002 (4 November 2002):

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, those figures are already very high in general back in 2004 (I guess the player salary related elements have now increased a lot again though).

EDIT (sorry, Puck you already repped me lol - adding something perhaps relevant to your initial comments though)

I do think that was probably right in Giggs' down period IIRC. Some United fans were definitely questioning his place in the team etc, before his later revival.

9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The previous week I noticed Bergkamp received a 1.0 by kicker for his Leverkusen game (single best rated), and a 2.0 for his Dortmund game (again single best rated). That triggered me to look a bit deeper.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/best-football-players-of-all-time.2011432/page-53#post-36512735

10. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021
    Do you guys have Ronaldo's rating? He only played 10 games but 7 goals 3 assists for Inter.

11. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Just didn't play enough to get a rating from me.