The best players of the season - 1995/6

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Nov 14, 2016.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    As always, any thoughts much appreciated on who the best players in Europe were in 1995/6 season. Some initial suggestions below, not in any order:

Goalkeepers

Edwin van der Sar (Ajax and Netherlands)

Jose Francisco Molina (Atletico Madrid and Spain)

Jens Lehmann (Schalke and Germany)

David Seaman (Arsenal and England)

Luca Bucci (Parma and Italy)

Sebastiano Rossi (Milan and Italy)

Stefan Klos (Borussia Dortmund and Germany)

Vitor Baia (Porto and Portugal)

Toni Prats (Celta Vigo and Spain)

David James (Liverpool and England)

Gianluca Pagliuca (Inter and Italy)

Full-backs

Paolo Maldini (Milan and Italy)

Michael Reiziger (Ajax and Netherlands)

Gary Neville (Manchester United and England)

Christian Panucci (Milan and Italy)

Alan Wright (Aston Villa and England)

Secretario (Porto and Portugal)

Paolo Negro (Lazio and Italy)

Jose Chamot (Lazio and Argentina)

Manuel Dimas (Benfica and Portugal)

Moreno Toricelli (Juventus and Italy)

Stefan Reuter (Borussia Dortmund and Germany)

Cristobal Parralo (Espanyol and Spain)

Sergi (Barcelona and Spain)

Delfin Geli (Atletico Madrid and Spain)

Bixente Lizarazu (Bordeaux and France)

Denis Irwin (Manchester United and Republic of Ireland)

Javier Zanetti (Inter and Argentina)

Centre-backs

Danny Blind (Ajax and Netherlands)

Matthias Sammer (Borussia Dortmund and Germany)

Franco Baresi (Milan and Italy)

Ruud Gullit (Chelsea and Netherlands)

Ciro Ferrara (Juventus and Italy)

Frank de Boer (Ajax and Netherlands)

Alessandro Costacurta (Milan and Italy)

Jurgen Kohler (Borussia Dortmund and Germany)

Gareth Southgate (Aston Villa and England)

Santi (Atletico Madrid and Spain)

Laurent Blanc (Auxerre and France)

Thomas Helmer (Bayern Munich and Germany)

Miguel Nadal (Barcelona and Spain)

Mauricio Pochettino (Espanyol and Argentina)

Gheorghe Popescu (Barcelona and Romania)

Fabio Cannavaro (Parma and Italy)

Victor Onopko (Spartak Moscow/Real Oviedo and Russia)

Aldair (Roma and Brazil)

Philippe Albert (Newcastle United and Belgium)

Yuri Nikiforov (Spartak Moscow and Russia)

Johan De Kock (Roda JC and Netherlands)

Trifon Ivanov (Rapid Vienna and Bulgaria)

Defensive midfielder

Marcel Desailly (Milan and France)

Diego Simeone (Atletico Madrid and Argentina)

Didier Deschamps (Juventus and France)

Edgar Davids (Ajax and Netherlands)

Steffen Freund (Borussia Dortmund and Germany)

Jens Jeremies (1860 Munich and Germany)

Central midfielders

Stefan Effenberg (Borussia Moenchengladbach and Germany)

Michael Zorc (Borussia Dortmund and Germany)

Demetrio Albertini (Milan and Italy)

Roy Keane (Manchester United and Republic of Ireland)

Rob Lee (Newcastle United and England)

Aron Winter (Lazio and Netherlands)

Antonio Conte (Juventus and Italy)

Paolo Sousa (Juventus and Portugal)

Roberto Di Matteo (Lazio and Italy)

Stefan Schwarz (Fiorentina and Sweden)

Vincent Guerin (PSG and France)

Attacking midfielders

Youri Djorkaeff (PSG and France)

Jose Luis Caminero (Atletico Madrid and Spain)

Milinko Pantic (Atletico Madrid and

Dejan Savicevic (Milan and Yugoslavia)

Krassimir Balakov (Bayern Munich and Bulgaria)

Paul Gascoigne (Rangers and Scotland)

Andreas Moller (Borussia Dortmund and Germany)

Rui Costa (Fiorentina and Portugal)

Rai (PSG and Brazil)

Zinedine Zidane (Bordeaux and France)

Sabri Lamouchi (Auxerre and France)

Mehmet Scholl (Bayern Munich and Germany)

Thomas Hassler (Karlsruher and Germany)

Georgi Kinkladze (Manchester City and Georgia)

Ivan de la Pena (Barcelona and Spain)

Fernando (Valencia and Spain)

Ronald de Boer (Ajax and Netherlands)

Valery Karpin (Real Sociedad and Russia)

Sasa Curcic (Bolton Wanderers and Yugoslavia)

Wingers

David Ginola (Newcastle United and France)

Jordi Lardin (Espanyol and Spain)

Andrei Kanchelsis (Everton and Russia)

Ryan Giggs (Manchester United and Wales)

Robert Pires (Metz and France)

Corentin Martins (Auxerre and France)

Finidi George (Ajax and Nigeria)

Steve Stone (Nottingham Forest and England)

Diego Fuser (Lazio and Italy)

Luis Figo (Barcelona and Portugal)

Philip Cocu (PSV Eindhoven and Netherlands)

Forwards

Predrag Mijatovic (Valencia and Yugoslavia)

Giuseppe Signori (Lazio and Italy)

Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus and Italy)

Jari Litmanen (Ajax and Finland)

Peter Beardsley (Newcastle United and England)

Teddy Sheringham (Tottenham Hotspur and England)

Dwight Yorke (Aston Villa and Trinidad & Tobago)

Eric Cantona (Manchester United and France)

Luc Nilis (PSV Eindhoven and Belgium)

Japhet N’Doram (Nantes and Chad)

Gianfranco Zola (Parma and Italy)

Ivica Vastic (Sturm Graz and Austria)

Joao Pinto (Benfica and Portugal)

Strikers

Alan Shearer (Blackburn Rovers and England)

George Weah (PSG/Milan and Liberia)

Igor Protti (Bari and Italy)

Gabriel Batistuta (Fiorentina and Argentina)

Robbie Fowler (Liverpool and England)

Enrico Chiesa (Sampdoria and Italy)

Juan Antonio Pizzi (Tenerife and Spain)

Les Ferdinand (Newcastle United and England)

Sonny Anderson (Monaco and Brazil)

Jurgen Klinsmann (Bayern Munich and Germany)

Domingos (Porto and Portugal)

Kiko (Atletico Madrid and Spain)

Bebeto (Deportivo la Coruna and Brazil)

Pierre van Hooijdonk (Celtic and Netherlands)

Gianluca Vialli (Juventus and Italy)

Lubo Penev (Atletico Madrid and Bulgaria)

Shota Arveladze (Trabzonspor and Georgia)

Oliver Bierhoff (Udinese and Germany)

Marco Branca (Roma/Inter and Italy)

Patrick Kluivert (Ajax and Netherlands)

Nwankwo Kanu (Ajax and Nigeria)

@Tom Stevens @PDG1978

PDG1978 repped this.
  2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Looks very good at first glance comme, but I'll let you know what comes to mind after my thinking cap has been on!

I'd say there's a good case to put Gullit in as a central midfielder - he started playing as a sweeper but switched into midfield (not always the same role) well before mid season I think - going partially from memory but mainly what I've read relatively recently to be honest but think that's a decent summary of how it was.

I noticed some award (might have been Fans Player of the Season) for the Premier League went to Schmeichel too I think. Probably it's hardest to recall goalkeeping performances from one season to the next (or retain the memories from ages ago as opposed to having a good idea for De Gea for example) but while it was probably the case in 96/97 too I think in 95/96 he was making plenty of good saves etc on the way to United's Premier League win; in a close run thing with Newcastle that season of course and with some narrow victories sealed by Cantona goals towards the end of the season IIRC. Maybe worth looking into with a view to adding him to the goalies list anyway.

Whether Beckham did enough for *? Maybe, but DBS Calcio doesn't show an especially high average and ofc he hadn't impressed enough to already get in the England squad for Euro 96. He'd be behind all or most of the wingers you've put in in the pecking order I would think anyway but I do remember he was already providing some excellent assists, and he scored a decent number of goals too.

You've already seen the list I did of top DBS Calcio rated players for that season (after discussion of Gullit) I guess but I think you're looking at their ratings anyway. Whether Curcic's star rating should match his average might be doubtful of course but I do remember him doing very well, and same for Albert definitely - number of games played due to injury problems is the issue for him I suppose though maybe his extra exceptional DBS rating justifies a high rating or at least inclusion anyway indeed wheras for Bohinen maybe the previous season is enough and for Juninho maybe the next one (and I think by the end of the season Kinkladze is probably a better call than him indeed although the Brazilian did make a good impact even if not scoring that many goals himself in his first season - his 1995 year in South American and International football is not so relevant to your list anyway ofc).

comme repped this.
  3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #3 PDG1978, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Oh, probably McManaman is worth a slot IMO from the Premier League too (like I suggested last time probably as AM even though he drifted to wings and obviously played as winger in Euro 96 too).

EDIT - Maybe his team-mate Robbie Fowler has as good a case in this season as ever too. Thinking about another striker too - Davor Suker - I'd be a bit torn as his Sevilla season alone might seem not enough perhaps (I think he didn't appear in the top rated La Liga players Puck posted recently either did he IIRC, and it might not have been his best season there although I'm not an expert and he did score a few in Europe) but then his form and goals in the remaining qualifying games for Euro 96 would be significant in helping his case. Maybe worth consideration/debate/extra info/research etc anyway.

comme repped this.
  4. SVilarino

SVilarino New Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Vermont, Chile, Galiza.
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I like the list very much.

I would add Darren Anderton, Mazinho and Jose Ignacio had a really good season at Valencia, and maybe we can make a case for Poborsky and Nedved due to their Euro 96 performances.

PS: Balakov was playing at Stuttgart, not Bayern.

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    comme repped this.
  6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #6 PuckVanHeel, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Honest question and I know it is difficult to find a balance and that beyond the obvious names (Weah, Litmanen etc.) it becomes tougher. Baggio of 1995-96 Milan isn't there either and he had lost his national team place to Zola isn't it.

What do you think of Bergkamp for this season (1995-96) compared to Zola? (I checked DBScalcio but maybe I overlook something). The number six side of Italy vs number five of England, at the end of 1995-96. Although around this time the dominance started to slide, the Serie A was the number one league in the world. Meanwhile, Arsenal spent 35% of their turnover for a signing which was huge (and would be huge today). Goals per game was 2.60 in the Premiership and 2.63 in 1995-96 Serie A.

In the league Zola played 29 games and scored 10 goals (one of which a penalty)

Bergkamp played 33 games and scored 11 goals. OPTA shows him with 8 strict assists (i.e. excluding penalties won) and 12 in all competitions.

I don't know the assists (esp. Zola) so this might cause a difference for the season (for entire career it is probably in favor of the Iceman and I know/think PDG1978 holds such ideas IIRC). Something like through-balls and pre-assists is virtually impossible to know, especially for Serie A.

In the Cup Winners Cup Zola had 2 goals in 5 games (both goals against KS Teuta of Albania) Arsenal hadn't qualified for 1995-96 (finishing 12th in 1994-95) thus no goals for Bergkamp here.

In the FA Cup 5 goals in 8 games for Bergkamp, for Zola 0 in 1 at the Coppa Italia. Zola also played the Italian supercup at the beginning of the season and had 0 in 1.

For the national team Bergkamp had 1 goal and 3 strict assists in 6 games (excluding euro96). Zola had 3 goals in 7 games; all goals against Lithuania (no idea about assists but might check the videos).

comme repped this.
  7. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Yeah, I don't think there is much to choose between them. I did a bit of reading on both with reasonable features on both in World Soccer but didn't get a clear picture as to how they had performed.

Zola was one of the last ones in but Bergkamp could well merit a place (as could a couple of Arsenal players).

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think I'd approve of Bergkamp being in there too yeah. Maybe a slow-ish start but really starting to excel by the end of the season I think.

9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I also thought about Ian Wright (since he eventually became the all-time topscorer until Henry came). He was club's topscorer with 15 goals in the league which was lower as a year before but the team finished higher.

Yes, he had a slow-ish start by some accounts (in terms of goals certainly, didn't score in first six games) and he also suffered a minor injury in March after which he went scoreless for six games again.
    http://www.bdfutbol.com/es/p/j93781.html?temp=1995-96
    http://www.bdfutbol.com/es/p/j93606.html?temp=1995-96

Here's a good article on his role from late 1995.

We know Zola at Chelsea didn't have that many assists (70 goals, 27 assists) but that is not to say his job and capability was the same as Parma player.

After I saw Dwight Yorke's name I thought about his partner Savo Milosevic too.

10. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Corentin Martins was not a winger : midfielder, playmaker, att. midfielder...
    ...but good list at first glance + the additions submitted. It only lacks Ronaldo (in spite of his injury) and Roberto Carlos. Also Rivaldo.

comme repped this.
  11. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    About defensive midfielders, Dieter Eilts made a great Euro at his position.

12. SVilarino

SVilarino New Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Vermont, Chile, Galiza.
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Roberto Carlos was not "super" that year. Good, but playing out of position (Hodgson...). He was sold at the end of the year to Real Madrid. Thank god.

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    #13 comme, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    So how were Auxerre lining up that season? What formation were they using?

Edit: Specifically thinking about the roles of Diomede, Lamouchi, Martins and Saib here.

14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The article on Bergkamp in from late 1995 would be interesting to see, though I think you accidentally put in a link about Trevor Brooking's view on Germany 1990 there?

My first instinct would be no to Milosevic from memory probably - maybe expectations exceeded performances I think, but just as with Suker maybe the International goals help to make a case for him as he was scoring quite a few of those in that period (I haven't checked how many within 95/96 wheras Suker did get 7 in 7 I think it was I counted and ofc finished as Euros top scorer in qualifying overall....and a few of the goals were definitely high quality ones which ofc he added to in the tournament though comme deals with those separately).

I forget now but did we already make a conclusion about Nedved for this season? I think Karel Poborsky could be a good shout as a winger anyway too by the looks of it.

Wright perhaps yes. Maybe * for both him and Bergkamp would be reasonable even to reflect their partnership gelling nicely and both making contributions. I guess it wasn't Wright's peak as a player quite (or Bergkamp's obviously as he continued to improve as he blended into the team more and ofc had also done great for Ajax) but he could be a borderline shout maybe. Possibly if I had to choose one I'd say Bergkamp but not with a great amount of certainty (DBS Calcio averages would go along with that though I suppose wouldn't they).

15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'm not sure but in addition to Poborsky (and maybe Beckham) perhaps Carbone could be considered as a winger - again if we're talking about end product being key to inclusion then we could do with knowing about assists to help/hinder his case I suppose but the DBS Calcio rating is good and I tend to have vague positive memories (that led to me to think when he signed for Sheffield Wednesday he'd probably do very well). I thought maybe right winger rather than left from memory but doesn't matter for comme really.

Patrik Berger did share the Czech Player of the Year award with Poborsky (and presumably less for contributions in Euro 96) but I remember Sammer's Hammer didn't see him as absolutely first choice at Dortmund when we had a go at that Fantasy Club World Cup. Maybe it wasn't only a case of Liverpool offering big money but also Dortmund being open to sell when he made his transfer, but he was playing a decent part in Dortmund's season at least.

16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, sorry the Bergkamp piece is at the bottom of those pages on the link - you'd shown me that personally before too I remember. Definitely a positive indicator - with his ratings not far below Cantona's too (albeit it's understandable Cantona's key impact in the title race gets recognised more I suppose) I'd certainly think * (building up to two consecutive ***'s for me - which comme might have in mind anyway) would not be too generous.

Though in French, the piece on Albert Batteux might be interesting there too I should imagine btw (though nothing to do with this thread ofc!).

17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Thanks for that. I will have a look. Euro 96 is excluded from this though as I will have a whole separate ranking for that.

I think I had momentarily confused Kostadinov and Balakov there as both were in Germany that season.

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Ah OK, I wanted to help you out but yes, here is the version I posted previously. You're right that on DBScalcio there is a gap of 0.20 with Adams, 0.27 with Keown and a gap of at least ~0.30 with the other regular used Arsenal midfielders and forwards (Wright, Merson, Platt, Parlour and some who were rated 15 games or less).

Also true that ManUnited stole the limelight. Strangely DBScalcio shows them only as 5th best rated team of the season (behind Newcastle, Blackburn, Liverpool, Tottenham). #1 was Newcastle United who had an average grade that was 0.33 higher than the rest! Arsenal was the 8th best rated team, and yes without the grade of the Iceman they would fall down to the bottom regions somehow (teams 17-20).

19. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I think Berger had about 12 starts and 13 sub appearances in this season at Dortmund. Definitely a good player and a regular contributor but yet to quite establish himself as a constant presence.

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, Newcastle were certainly free playing and expansive (as they were the previous season) and with many players in good form. They did have a lead on Man United until near the end too famously. Interestingly they didn't score quite as many goals as Man United though!

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  21. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, maybe the Czech award was even for calendar year and how he started at Liverpool played a part. I remember him being talked of highly as a Czech player in the build-up to Euro 96 though, but Poborsky did star more during that. But yes I guess you wouldn't put Berger in on that basis (Sammer's Hammer saw him more often than not as impact sub I think indeed IIRC) but I do think albeit in a 'lesser' league Poborsky's case looks good (conversely if it was 1996 calendar year for the Czech award then he didn't do that much at Man United to enhance his case in the second half of that year and ofc Beckham was being used mainly as first choice right winger and having a great start to that 96/97 season).

22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I haven't finished looking but there are a few assists and pre-assists from Carbone on here (and part 1 obviously - including also a free-kick goal on that part as well as one in the Cup):

One of the pre-assists on part 2 is determined by a mention of his name as Zanetti overlaps and crosses.

He seems to appear on both wings but is the number 10 anyway (shirt number I mean, not role). This video confirms his quality assist (as not clear re: mention or shirt number on season goals video):

(Right at the end).

I'll have to finish watching but I think with his rating too he's worth considering.

23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Does anyone else think this was a rather weak season? Not too many stand out performers really. Struggling to see a lot of World Class contenders.

24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Suker merits it I think. Got 7 international goals in the period under consideration plus 16 in the league and 4 in Europe.

McManaman was an omission and Fowler will be there (at least 2 stars).

PDG1978 repped this.
  25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Give or take it looks about 10 ish assists/pre-assists for Carbone maybe, but with build-up to all goals not shown and free-kicks won not shown either sometimes. Also he seems to score an acrobatic deflected goal that is given to Nesta as an own goal in one game.

I haven't checked if the video shows all games though to be fair either.

This one shows more clearly what he did to pre-assist with the Zanetti cross (as well as showing his own direct assist again ofc....and some good/typical skills at about 1 min followed by an interview with him!, then a chance created at 2:25 too):