The best players of the 1982 World Cup

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Dec 3, 2012.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yes I love that Brazil 82 team (among TOP10 best all time surely) but I am just being "fair" in a context of performance and deliver.

Socrates, Eder and Cerezo together were much more fancy to watch but rummenigge and Littbarski (plus Boniek) was on fire in that WC and should not be ... forgotten
    People's choice after all ...

2. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am well aware of every aspect and player of the 1982 world cup.. It was a superb tournament and those brazilian players made it a tournament to remember.. My formation was 4-5-1 with rossi up front.. Eder would play as he did for brazil and atletico wide left / left midfield.. I ve watched him countless times and i loved his eye for the spectacular..so eder stays in- great player.. The rest of my midfield speaks for itself ..there were no better midfielders in that world cup.. Tardelli was very good so was antognoni so was boniek but they wouldnt get in my team ahead of the brazilians.. I like attacking full backs so leandro and junior cant be left out.. Scriea and collovati are obvious choices .. Brilliant defenders .. Dasaev was much better than zoff in my opinion so he goes in my team .. Im not being biased to brazil ..they just happened to have the best players at that tournament ..they just had a plank up front and a lack of concentration and sloppiness at the back..

Guga Sukhi repped this.
  3. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wasnt being unfair to the other nations.. I loved platini and giresse but i just happen to think brazil had the best players ... So i chose my best team ..simple

Guga Sukhi repped this.
  4. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Do not get me wrong! iT's ok and nothing wrong with your choice ... I just ask ..

5. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ok mate.. There were loads of great players at the 82 world cup .. I would just choose the majority of the brazilian team with a few italians and a russian thrown in..

JamesBH11 repped this.
  6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I am proud that you like those Brazilians even their team lost early in the tournament!

7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Collovati over Passarella? The latter played the more attractive football and scored goals for Argentina. Zmuda from Poland also had a great performance as center back.

@giles varley

8. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah i would go with collivati in my team.. There would be no need to have a goalscoring defender like passarella in my team... I thought he was better in 78 anyway.. I obviously rated passerella as a player .. I also liked amoros but you cant go wrong with 2 juventus defenders from the early 80s in your back line ... If i was asked to pick a team from the 1974 world cup i would base it around the dutch team because they had the best players in that tournament

Guga Sukhi and Pipiolo repped this.
  9. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry i meant 2 italian defenders ..not juventus defenders... I was rushing n
    My post

10. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Bizarre commentary by Barry Davies and Bobby Charlton during the 1982 semi-final between France and West Germany.
    At the Battiston incident they leave both open the possibility that it was an attempt to play the ball, and Battiston is embellishing it.
    That's at least honest; telling that if you 'don't know', you say so. But 10 minutes after he was carried off mister Davies says with firm and absolute certainty that Battiston has no broken bones and contusions. :confused:

giles varley repped this.
  11. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bizarre and ridiculous commentary by Jimmy Hill commentating alongside John Motson at the Brazil vs Scotland match- after zico's brilliant unsaveable free kick curled tight into the top corner .." question marks must be raised about Alan Rough in the scotland goal, his positioning there was suspect "..... And after Eder's sublime chip over Rough for brazil's third.. " oh dear, questions must be asked again about Alan Rough's positioning "....!!!!
    Poor Alan Rough had no chance bless him..talk about unfair commentary !!

Guga Sukhi repped this.
  12. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bobby charlton made some ridiculous observations during the 82 world cup mate.. Dennis law made the most sense

13. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FF Ratings for comparison

Goalkeepers
    Dino Zoff (Italy) 7 games, 0 goals *** (4,4,4,3,5,4,4) 4
    Rinat Dasaev (USSR)5 games, 0 goals *** (4,4,4,5,4) 4.2
    Thomas N’Kono (Cameroon) 3 games, 0 goals ** (4,4,4) 4
    Peter Shilton (England) 5 games, 0 goals * (3,3,3,4,4) 3.4

Others possibilities

Józef Młynarczyk (3,4,4,4,4,4,4) 3.9
    Pat Jennings (4,4,5,3) 4

Fullbacks
    Claudio Gentile (Italy) 6 games, 0 goals *** (4,3,4,3,3,4) 3.5
    Junior (Brazil) 5 games, 1 goal ** (4,4,4,6,4) 4.4
    Antonio Cabrini (Italy) 7 games, 1 goal ** (4,4,4,4,4,4,4) 4
    Eric Gerets (Belgium) 3 games, 0 goals ** (4,4,4) 4 did not play in the second group stage
    Leandro (Brazil) 5 games, 0 goals * (3,3,4,4,4) 3.6
    Mick Mills (England) 5 games, 0 goals * (3,4,3,4,3) 3.4
    Manfred Kaltz (West Germany) 7 games, 0 goals (2,3,3,3,3,3,3) 2.9

FF were comparatively down on Gentile compared to Cabrini and especially Junior. Also very down on Kaltz his teammate Hans-Peter Briegel was rated better.

Hans-Peter Briegel (4,4,4,5,4,3) 4

Central defenders
    Gaetano Scirea (Italy) 7 games, 0 goals *** (4,4,4,4,4,4,5) 4.1
    Fulvio Collovati (Italy) 7 games, 0 goals ** (4,4,4,3,3,4,4) 3.7
    Karlheinz Forster (West Germany) 6 games, 0 goals ** (3,4,4,4,5,4) 4
    Maxime Bossis (France) 6 games, 1 goal ** (3,3,4,4,4,5) 3.9
    Marius Tresor (France) 7 games, 1 goal * (2,3,5,4,4,6) 4 (left out the third place match where he was one of the only first teamers left in to play)
    Uli Stielike (West Germany) 7 games, 0 goals * (4,4,4,5,4,4) 4.2
    Daniel Passarella (Argentina) 5 games. 2 goals * (4,5,4,4,4) 4.2
    Luizinho (Brazil) 5 games, 0 goals * (3,3,3,4,3) 3.2

Luizinho looks a little out of place. They were relatively down on Collovati and high on Stielike and Passarella. A couple of other very good options as well.

Władysław Żmuda (4,4,4,5,4,4,3) 4
    Aleksandr Chivadze (4,5,4,4,4) 4.2

Central midfielders
    Paulo Roberto Falcao (Brazil) 5 games, 3 goals *** (4,5,4,6,5) 4.8
    Marco Tardelli (Italy) 7 games, 2 goals ** (4,4,4,5,4,4,5) 4.3 He was Italy's highest rated player
    Jean Tigana (France) 5 games, 0 goals ** (5,4,4) 4.3
    Toninho Cerezo (Brazil) 4 games. 0 goals * (5,4,5,3) 4.3
    Osvaldo Ardiles (Argentina) 5 games, 1 goal * (4,5,5,4,5) 4.6
    Paul Breitner (West Germany) 7 games, 1 goal * (3,4,4,5,4,4) 4

A very well rated group overall. Maybe add Robson for an excellent first group?

Bryan Robson (5,5,3,3) 4

Attacking midfielders
    Alain Giresse (France) *** 6 games, 3 goals (4,4,4,5,5,5) 4.5
    Socrates (Brazil) 5 games, 2 goals ** (4,5,4,5,4) 4.4
    Giancarlo Antognoni (Italy) 6 games. 0 goals * (4,3,3,5,4,4) 3.9
    Michel Platini (France) 6 games, 3 goals * (3,5,4,4,5) 4.2

Nothing really missing

Wingers
    Pierre Littbarski (West Germany) 7 games, 2 goals *** (4,5,3,4,4,3) 3.9
    Bruno Conti (Italy) 7 games, 1 goal ** (3,4,4,5,4,4,4) 4
    Eder (Brazil) 5 games, 2 goals * (4,4,3,4,3) 3.6
    Gregorz Lato (Poland) 7 games, 1 goal * (4,5,6,5,5,4,3) 4.6

Lato's rating is the story here for me. I knew that he had a good tournament but he has a top 5 rating, and if you take out the third place game he rates at 4.8, putting him tied for the top player in the whole tournament. Does anyone know of other sources that rated him this high? I would love to do a rewatch of Poland's games.

Forwards
    Zico (Brazil) 5 games, 4 goals *** (5,5,5,5,4) 4.8
    Zbigniew Boniek(Poland) 6 games, 4 goals *** (2,3,5,6,3,4) 3.8 A very uneven tournament by FF ratings

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (West Germany) 7 games, 5 goals ** (4,6,3,4,3,3) 3.9 Similar story to Boniek

Strikers

Paolo Rossi (Italy) 7 games, 6 goals *** (2,2,4,3,6,5,4) 3.7 Another very uneven performance, but his best games were the important ones.
    Gerry Armstrong (Northern Ireland) 5 games, 3 goals * (4,4,4,5,3) 4

14. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Best rated players FF

Zico (Brazil) 5 games, 4 goals *** (5,5,5,5,4) 4.8
    Paulo Roberto Falcao (Brazil) 5 games, 3 goals *** (4,5,4,6,5) 4.8
    Gregorz Lato (Poland) 7 games, 1 goal * (4,5,6,5,5,4,3) 4.6
    Osvaldo Ardiles (Argentina) 5 games, 1 goal * (4,5,5,4,5) 4.6
    Alain Giresse (France) *** 6 games, 3 goals (4,4,4,5,5,5) 4.5

Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  15. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Very good info for reference Tom!

But I do not know if you based on FF or your own(?), to say Zico and Maradona as FW in WC82 and 86?

WC82: Zico played in parallel to Socrates as two trescartista in 4 2 2 2 , or main playmaker/AM in attack of 4 2 3 1) behind Serginho) whatever formation of interpretation.

WC86: Maradona looked like a FW behind Valdano in 5 3 2 formation, but who are the playmaker and AM in that team? Maradona ! He did cover a lot of grounds and linkup to MF

16. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    #116 Gregoriak, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    Kicker, too. Kaltz's display was called lacklustre and complacent, especially in the first few games. Kaltz was dropped by German manager Jupp Derwall in early 1983 and never called back again (despite Kaltz regaining his form in the following years).

17. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
  18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Really good work this.

Thank you.

19. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    It was a pity that Brazil, Argentina and Italy were in one group. I couldn´t speak about Brazil 1982 (90 % of my posts here is about them ;)), my second favorite was France. The midfield Genghini, Tigana, Platini, Girresse was, in my opinion, better than in 1986, with Fernandez, forward Six, Rocheteau, Lacombe, defense Bossis, Battiston, Amoros, Janvion, Amoros - great team!

20. Lockeroom

Lockeroom Member

Apr 11, 2008
    I think the best player of the World Cup 1982 was Paulo Roberto Falcao, the second best was Bruno Conti. Rossi was horrible in four matches until the match with Brazil. He was worse than Serginho, but he woke up and he is a hero now :)

21. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    "Les 100 meilleurs joueurs du Mundial 82" - Onze.
    August 1982.

Amoros (France)
    Al Dakheel (Koweït)
    Ardilès (Argentine)
    Alonso, Pichi (Espagne)
    Antognoni (Italie)
    Armstrong (Irlande du Nord)
    Arzu (Honduras)
    Assad (Algérie)
    Barmos (Tchécoslovaquie)
    Blokhine (URSS)
    Bergomi (Italie)
    Boniek (Pologne)
    Bossis (France)
    Brazil (Ecosse)
    Buncol (Pologne)
    Briegel (RFA)
    Cabrini (Italie)
    Camacho (Espagne)
    Cerezo (Brésil)
    Ceulemans (Belgique)
    Chivadze (URSS)
    Coeck (Belgique)
    Collovati (Italie)
    Conti(Italie)
    Costly (Honduras)
    Demianenko (URSS)
    Dassaev (URSS)
    Diaz (Pérou)
    Fazekas (Hongrie)
    Falcao (Brésil)
    K.H. Förster (RFA)
    Gentile (Italie)
    Genghini (France)
    Giresse (France)
    Gerets (Belgique)
    Gonzales (Salvador)
    Gordillo (Espagne)
    Gray (Ecosse)
    Gudelj (Yougoslavie)
    Guttierez (Honduras)
    Huezo (Salvador)
    Hamilton (Irlande du Nord)
    Janvion (France)
    Jennings (Irlande du Nord)
    Junior (Brésil)
    Koncilia (Autriche)
    Kupcewicz (Pologne)
    Lato (Pologne)
    Leandro (Brésil)
    Littbarski (RFA)
    Madjer (Algérie)
    Maradona (Argentine)
    Mariner (Angleterre)
    Matysik (Pologne)
    M'Bida (Cameroun)
    Merzekane (Algérie)
    Meuuws (Belgique)
    Milla (Cameroun)
    Moscoso (Chili)
    Mubarak (Koweït)
    N'Kono (Cameroun)
    Nyilasi (Hongrie)
    Oscar (Brésil)
    O'Neill (Irlande du Nord)
    Pantelic (Yougoslavie)
    Passarella (Argentine)
    Pezzey (Autriche)
    Pfaff (Belgique)
    Platini (France)
    Poloskei (Hongrie)
    Radimec (Tchécoslovaquie)
    Robson (Angleterre)
    Rocheteau (France)
    Rossi (Italie)
    Rummenigge (RFA)
    Schachner (Autriche)
    Schumacher (RFA)
    Scirea (Italie)
    Shilton(Angleterre)
    Socrates (Brésil)
    Slijvo (Yougoslavie)
    Souness(Ecosse)
    Stielike (RFA)
    Strachan (Ecosse)
    Tarantini (Argentine)
    Tardelli (Italie)
    Tendillo (Espagne)
    Thompson (Angleterre)
    Tigana (France)
    Trésor (France)
    Van Hattum (Nouvelle-Zélande)
    Velasquez (Pérou)
    Whiteside (Irlande du Nord)
    Vizek (Tchécoslovaquie)
    Wilkins (Angleterre)
    Woodin (Nouvelle-Zélande)
    Zajec (YOugoslavie)
    Zmuda (Pologne)
    Zico (Brésil)
    Zoff (Italie)

There is a write-up for each player. And it can explain some things.

I won't make it for every single player but for now can try to make two or three as an excerpt (translation attempt).

The most shocking inclusion for me was the one of Passarella.
    ''the argentine libero and captain, close to indulge in violence nevertheless stands as the best header of the ball of this tournament. Very combative, he has an excellent shooting that causes ravages".

[still not much convinced about him].

And now, very quickly and randomly :

Pezzey. "in an ageing Austrian team, Bruno Pezzey, charming libero, has rather seduced. With his technique, his constant research in building, his excellent mindset.

[the Pezzey's thumb faces the one for Passarella]

Zajec. "This one, it will not take much longer for he tastes the western football. An excellent sense of positionning, redoubtable at tackling and good player of the ball, this 26 years old libero has got everything to succeed in a big club".

Assad. "Assad was without a doubt the best Algerian player of this World Cup, but he was maybe even the best winger of the tournament. One of the only to dare to take risks to overflow. A sidetracking dribbling".

Bossis. "Is Maxime Bossis the best left-back in the world? To keep away this title from him we only can see the Brazilian Junior. But Bossis is without a doubt stronger in the defensive part of his task".

[Bossis played on the right and Amoros on the left against West Germany. Amoros was at the marking of the young,like him, Littbarski. Bossis was seen by some as the best French player in this match. This is true that he had a great match. Until the penalties...well it's often the best who miss in these occasions].

One or two more for now, randomly again.

Camacho. "He has started as right back finishing at midfield before to know the bench while all was lost for Spain. Very combative".

Falcao. "This one, he knows how to do everything. His stay in Italy enabled him to acquire a realism that his teammates terribly missed. His technique married to a top physique raise him to the top level".

Littbarski. "Pierre Littbarski, the German player, did not work at his role of winger with the constance that we would have wish. But he has proven once again that he is on his way to become a very great striker".

Robson. "The executioner of the tricolores had made some remarkable debuts, as well as scorer as in the role of the omnipresent half. Having exert himself a lot, it was normal for him to wedge".

Gregoriak, PDG1978 and comme repped this.
  22. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Bossis played left back then right back against West Germany. Janvion was the stopper.

23. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Correction : Alonso, Spain, is not 'Pichi' but well 'Periko' (always make the confusion, it's infernal). So the Xabi's father.

24. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    #124 Vegan10, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    wm442433 and Gregoriak repped this.
  25. RichardBaker

RichardBaker New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    USA
    Thanks for submitting the details! I am really excited to get familiar with the best players on the 1982 world cup.