The best players of Euro 96

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Nov 29, 2016.

1. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    I'm not sure that it answers a bit to your questions, maybe you already knew, but normally a player must have played 45 minutes to be rated by France Football by the rule of their usual method for the league games, this whatever happened (a red card= systematically 0 though ofc independently of the number of minutes played).
    But it seems that about the Euro you have noted things that goes against the usual method. Could you please name the red-carded players who are still rated for example?

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Albertini was averaging 7.33 after the group games (and therefore that was his final average too) I see. He did receive an 8 (matching Suker vs Denmark) for the game vs Germany too.

I think his ratings from Le Repubblica are the ones that stand out the most from the others Puck had said were among the top rated by FF at that stage but I'll let you know about any others that are similar or at least compare very well to players already listed when I've checked all of them that Puck had noted.

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    For La Repubblica, among the rest of the ones above that haven't been discussed yet, Couto is the closest at 6.5 after the group stage, helped by a 7.5 vs Turkey.

Popescu is way below his FF standard at 5.5.

When checking the Bulgarians I did notice Mihailov had an average of 7 and also had an 8 vs Spain. The writer of the other reports had mentioned him once or twice as his choice as best keeper to that point but FF can't have given him more than 10 points over three games of course.

Peruzzi was deemed to not have enough to do vs Germany to get a rating either I see too.

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Oh yes, it seems you are right that the UEFA report is wrong and it wasn't Hagi. But like you say I still think he was OK and the tournament doesn't take away something of his class. It's possible to say that it doesn't add something to his career but it doesn't take it down either if you get what I mean (still did reasonable as expected, maybe the best that can be expected). FF had him in their team after the group stage and if you insist I make a scan (I typed the 'stars' down so that it doesn't get lost; photos can be deleted at times).

Like you say, La Repubblica was not taken away by Popescu either, unlike France Football (most likely they thought as an individual he was in form overall).

Not for euro 1996 but I thought I had seen that with other match reports. In case of misidentification by the referee I thought. Maybe I'm wrong...

That with the subs is right, as PDG showed (one player, Pedros, played almost an hour and didn't receive a mark).

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just as info regarding the FF grades:

While I had on TV a programme about the 1983 Formula 3 season (Senna & Brundle) I also had a look at the circumstances of the substitutions of Bergkamp vs France and Rui Costa vs Croatia...
    - Bergkamp first suffered a knock and had treatment for it after 50 minutes, and though I didn't watch the next 10 minutes in full he didn't seem to be running completely freely anyway.
    - Rui Costa had just been fouled when he went off at 60 minutes but I think it was tactical, and for saving his legs for the next game.

Maybe they exercise some discretion too - with Pedros for example (they gave Roger Milla a grade vs England in the 1990 WC IIRC, but I guess that would be deemed a significant performance). Bergkamp played 50 minutes without injury then I think, but maybe having carried an injury for 10 mins was not given a grade due to that; but I still assume half a game was enough for the Croatian subs to receive one vs Portugal, and otherwise Asanovic would have averaged 5/6 over his other appearances. I just assume at the moment that Bergkamp's injury made him a special case and not that 45 minutes would never be enough to be given a mark.

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ekeke vs England would be the better example (also Milla vs Colombia perhaps) but yes they received marks. Milla was not graded vs Romania though (on on 61 minutes in a group game with no extra time; scored 2 goals).

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Looking back at this seems to confirm that the Croatian half-time subs received a rating vs Portugal - otherwise Asanovic would have received two 6/6 grades before that point. So I don't think he has an average of 5 per game overall (so not joining Tigana, Elkjaer of Euro 84 and Thuram in WC98 on that record(?) FF average grade).

I notice I made a typo earlier - Blanc had I think 6.67 from La Repubblica as his average rating after the group stage.

8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I've now the OptaJoe's Football Yearbook of 2016 and it has a table on the chance creators of euro 1996 (including assists). Of course it only shows quantity and not quality of the created chances/assists and players cannot be fully seen in isolation from their team.

13 - Darren Anderton (499 minutes)
    13 - Youri Djorkaeff (510 minutes)
    11 - Rui Costa (331 minutes)
    11 - Ronald de Boer (341 minutes)
    11 - Thomas Hassler (387 minutes)
    11 - Karel Poborsky (523 minutes)
    10 - Gheorghe Hagi (270 minutes)
    10 - Aljosa Asanovic (315 minutes)
    10 - Dennis Bergkamp (330 minutes)
    10 - Patrik Berger (369 minutes)
    10 - Paul Gascoigne (497 minutes)

Gascoigne had more passes in the opposition half than anyone else in the tournament. He had 23% more than number two Zinedine Zidane, who reached the semi final too and wasn't in his best form but maybe this number still shows his default ability a bit. He played 472 minutes, Gascoigne 497 minutes. Djorkaeff was not far behind.

The top one for Portugal was Rui Costa, for Spain it was Hierro (passes opposition half - Guardiola was not available), Germany was Sammer (despite his Italy match and very few created chances) and it also shows Netherlands which was Ronald de Boer (doesn't shows the #2 for NLD).

That book has an interesting chapter and review of euro 1996.

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ratings for these games from 90 Minutes magazine (I found one issue that I had bought) - plus Scotland vs the Netherlands (I accidentally deleted the links from the quoted post above for that one). I didn't buy the magazine enough to know whether they were always generous, or whether they were being especially so for the tournament with the 'highest level' players in general (compared to league games) - they seem a little more generous perhaps even than Shoot or Match would have tended to be I'd say, although maybe just less inclined to give many low ratings and less 'average' ones given out too. They rate players who even just played a few minutes too, so those ratings will tend to be average or low on the other hand. MOTM award recipients in bold.

Netherlands-Switzerland:
    Ned - Van der Sar 6, Reiziger 6, Blind 8, Bogarde 7, Seedorf 5 (De Kock 7), Winter 7, R.De Boer 9 (Davids 6), Witschge 8, Jordi Cruyff 7 (Kluivert 6), Bergkamp 7, Hoekstra 7
    Swi - Pascolo 6, Jeanneret 6 (Comisetti 7), Vega 5, Henchoz 7, Quentin 6, Hottiger 6, Sforza 7, Vogel 7, Grassi 8, Turkyilmaz 7, Chapuisat 6

England-Scotland:
    Eng - Seaman 8, G.Neville 7, Pearce 6 (Redknapp 7, Campbell 6), Ince 7 (Stone 6), Adams 6, Southgate 7, Gascoigne 8, Shearer 7, Sheringham 6, Anderton 5, McManaman 9
    Sco - Goram 6, McKimmie 6, Boyd 6, Calderwood 6, Hendry 7, Spencer 6 (McCoist 6), McCall 7, McAllister 6, Collins 6, T.McKinlay 6 (Burley 6), Durie 6 (Jess 6)

Netherlands-Scotland:
    Ned - Van der Sar 7, Reiziger 7, Bogarde 8, De Kock 7, Seedorf 8, R. De Boer 7 (Winter 7), Davids 8, Witschge 9 (Cocu 7), Taument 7 (Kluivert 6), Bergkamp 7, Jordi Cruyff 7
    Sco - Goram 7, McKimmie 7 (Burley 7), Boyd 7, Calderwood 7, Hendry 8, Gallacher 7 (B.McKinlay 7), McCall 7, McAllister 8, Collins 8, Booth 6 (Spencer 8), Durie 6

Spain-Bulgaria:
    Spa - Zubizarreta 6, Belsue 6, Alkorta 6, Abelardo 6, Hierro 8, Guerrero 7 (Amavisca 6), Pizzi 6, Sergi 6, Caminero 6 (Donato 6), Amor 6 (Alfonso 6)
    Bul - Mihailov 7, Kishishev 7, Ivanov 8, Kiriakov 7 (Tzvetanov 6), Hubchev 7, Yankov 6, Kostadinov 7 (Yordanov 6), Stoichkov 8, Penev 8 (Borimirov 6), Balakov 7, Letchkov (rating missing from magazine)

France-Romania:
    Fra - Lama 7, Di Meco 7 (Lizarazu 7), Blanc 7, Thuram 7, Guerin 7, Deschamps 7, Desailly 7, Zidane 7 (Roche 7), Karembeu 9, Djorkaeff 8, Dugarry 7 (Loko 7)
    Rom - Stelea 6, Petrescu 7 (Fillipescu 7), Belodedici 7, Selymes 7, Mihali 6, Lupescu 7, Popescu 7, Hagi 8, Munteanu 7, Lacatus 8 (Illie 7), Raducioiu 7 (Moldovan 7)

France-Spain:
    Fra - Lama 7, Angloma 6 (Roche 7), Blanc 7, Guerin 7 (Thuram 7), Deschamps 7, Desailly 8, Djorkaeff 9, Zidane 7, Loko 6 (Dugarry 7), Lizarazu 7, Karembeu 8
    Spa - Zubizarreta 7, Lopez 7, Alkorta 7, Abelardo 7, Hierro 7, Amavisca 7, Alfonso 6 (Salinas 7), Sergi 7, Caminero 8, Otero 7 (Kiko 7), Luis Enrique 6 (Manjarin 6)

Bulgaria-Romania:
    Bul - Mihailov 7, Tzvetanov 6, Ivanov 7, Kishchishev 6, Iordanov 7, Yankov 6, Letchkov 7 (Guentchev 4), Balakov 6, Penev 6 (Sirakov 5), Kostadinov 6 (Borimirov 5) Stoichkov 8
    Rom: Stelea 7, Petrescu 6, Belodedici 6, Selymes 7, Prodan 7, Lupescu 6 (Galca 5), Popescu 7 (Illie 5), Hagi 6, Munteanu 7, Lacatus 6 (Moldovan 6), Raducioiu 6

Germany-Czech Rep (group stage):
    Ger - Kopke 7, Reuter 7, Helmer 6, Sammer 8, Moller 7, Bobic 6 (Strunz 6), Hassler 6, Kuntz 6 (Bierhoff 6), Kohler 6 (Babbel 6), Ziege 7, Eilts 6
    Cze - Kouba 5, Latal 7, Suchparek 6, Nedved 7, Kadlec 6, Nemec 7, Poborsky 6 (Berger 7), Kuka 7, Frydek 6 (Drulak 5), Bejbl 7, Hornak 6

Italy-Russia:
    Ita - Peruzzi 7, Mussi 7, Costacurta 7, Appolloni 7, Maldini 9, Di Livio 7 (Fuser 7), Albertini 7, Di Matteo 7, Casiraghi 8 (Ravanelli 6), Zola 7, Del Piero 6 (Donadoni 7)
    Rus - Cherchesov 6, Tetradze 6, Onopko 8, Bushmanov 6 (Yanovski 7), Kovtun 7, Rodimov 6, Mostovoi 6, Kanchelskis 7, Karpin 6 (Kiriakin 7), Tsymbalar 7 (Dobrovolski 7), Kolyvanov 8

Italy-Czech Rep:
    Ita - Peruzzi 7, Apolloni 6, Mussi 7, Costacurta 7, Maldini 7, Albertini 6, Donadoni 6, D.Baggio 5 (Carboni 7), Fuser 6, Chiesa 8 (Zola 7), Ravanelli 5 (Casiraghi 7)
    Cze- Kouba 7, Latal 7 (Nemecek 7), Kadlec 7, Suchoparek 7, Hornak 6, Nedved 8, Poborsky 8, Namec 6, Berger 7 (Smicer 7), Bejbl 9, Kuka 7

Denmark-Portugal:
    Den - Schmeichel 8, Helveg 7, Rieper 7, Hogh 6, Risager 6, Steen Nielsen 7, Thomson 6 (Piechnik 6), M.Laudrup 7, Larsen 7 (Vilfort 6), Beck 6, B.Laudrup 8
    Por - Baia 7, Couto 7, Helder 7, Santos 7, Oceano 6 (Folha 7), Rui Costa 8, Sousa 7, Tavares (rating unclear), Figo 7 (Domingos 7), Joao Pinto 8, Sa Pinto 8

Turkey-Croatia:
    Tur - Rustu 8, Vedat 7, Alpay 6, Tugay 7, Ogun 7, Hakan 7, Rahim 8, Sergen 7, Abdullah 7, Arif 7 (Hamzi 6), Tolunay 7 (Saffet 6)
    Cro - Ladic 7, Stanic 7, Jarni 7, Stimac 8, Jerkan 6, Bilic 7, Asanovic 7, Prosinecki 7, Suker 7 (Pavlicic 6), Boban 7 (Soldo 6), Boksic 8 (Vlaovic 8)
    (Not sure why Sergen named MOTM when others have 8; similar actually in Czech Republic vs Italy and Poborsky listed as MOTM but then in the text of the write-up it says Bejbl in that case unless they refer to the official MOTM but they do give Bejbl 9 so I highlighted him - could be in this game they meant Rahim or they gave Rahim Sergen's match score of 8 but I don't have a clue really).

Portugal-Turkey:
    Por - Baia 7, Santos 7, Couto 9, Helder 7, Dimas 7, Sa Pinto 6 (Cadete 6), Figo 7, Sousa 7, Rui Costa 8, Folha 7 (Tavares 7), Joao Pinto 7 (Porfirio 7)
    Tur - Rustu 7, Recep 7, Alpay 7, Vedat 6, Ogun 7 (Rahim 7), Abdullah 6, Oguz 7 (Arif 6), Tugay 6, Sergen 7, Hakam Sukur 7, Saffet 6 (Tolunay 7)

comme repped this.
  10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The magazine also printed some pre-tournament predictions from Spanish fans attending Spain Under 21s vs Italy Under 21s:

From Espanyol fans:
    "I think it's going to be very even, but Spain must be the favourites going into the tournament. It's two years now since we lost a game and players like Caminero, Nadal and Alfonso are as good as anyone in their positions"
    "Spain and Italy for similar reasons. They both have lots of strength in depth and well established squads that are difficult to break into...that's proved by the fact that none of the players from the Under 21 finalists are going to Euro 96. And even the younger Spanish players have lots of experience - six or seven of them played in the Olympic winning side four years ago"
    "Italy are favourites because they are the team with the most tradition and more importantly the most balls when crunch time arrives. They've mastered the art of playing badly and winning"
    "I reckon Holland will win. I hope they do, anyhow. It'll be a triumph for youth and attacking football. I think Patrick Kluivert is the best young striker around"
    "Spain. Kiko and Caminero formed a great attacking partnership this season. They led Atletico Madrid to the title against all odds so why shouldn't they do the same for Spain"

From Barcelona fans:
    "Germany. It doesn't matter what people say about them, they always seem to get to the final or near as damn it. And their best players, like Klinsmann and Hassler, are also their most experienced ones. We're not talking about untried youngsters"
    "Spain will win because they are the best team"
    "What can I say? Spain have got the best players - my favourite is Guillermo Amor - and the sharpest coach is Javier Clemente. The others haven't got a chance!"
    "If you look at our performances in qualifying games you'd have to say Spain were the favourites. Otherwise I suppose it's got to be the boring old Italians"
    "Spain have got the most competitive squad, and Caminero will be the star player in England. He proved he's the man for the big occasion in the last World Cup. If I had to choose an outsider, I'd go with Croatia."
    "Italy. They always make their experience count in major tournaments. Paolo Maldini is the best defender in the world, and Ravanelli and Del Piero will be the best attacking partnership in England"
    "Spain are the best team in Europe at the moment - you've only got to look at the way we walked through our qualifying group. And we haven't lost a game since the World Cup two years ago. France are the other in-form side to watch."
    "England must be the favourites playing at home, especially with so many great forwards to choose from like Alan Shearer."
    "Spain, Spain, Spain! We've got the best players and a fantastic team. Any country that can afford to leave out Raul and Ivan De La Pena must have a lot going for it"
    "I've got to agree. If we don't think Spain can win, who will? Apart from us, I'd say Croatia - especially with Boban and Suker - are the ones to watch."
    "Nobody seems to be giving the Italians a chance, which is how they like it. They're a crafty and cunning side, and Zola is a brilliant player. I also fancy Stoichkov to make a bit of a comeback after a couple of quiet years."
    "Spain - even though Ivan De La Pena is not in the squad which is a big mistake. Guerrero's a bit of a dish, but Ivan has been much better this season playing in the same position. I suppose Italy will do well too."

From Real Madrid fans:
    "Spain is the best team in Europe, full stop. Watch out for Real Madrid's Fernando Hierro. He scored the goal that got us through to the last World Cup and he always does the business when it really counts."
    "I agree that Spain are the favourites. Our defence is particularly strong. Donato and Nadal are tough men to play against and Sergi is the quickest attacking full-back around."
    "Spain will win. People moan about them being too defensive but who cares? And not many teams have defenders as dangerous going forwards as Fernando Hierro and Sergi."
    "I think we'll see a Spain v Italy final. Let's hope Pizzi - whose 31 goals for Tenerife have just earnt him a big money move to Barca - keeps his shooting boots on and that Fernando Hierro can forget about Madrid's rubbish season. They're the two most important players."
    "Spain. Hierro and Alkorta are the best defensive partnership in Europe! There should be more Madrid players in the squad, though."
    "I suppose Italy and Germany are favourites but it's boring when the same teams always win. My heart says Spain are going to win, and it's about time the national side lived up to it's reputation."

wm442433 repped this.
  11. heiky0711

heiky0711 New Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Malaysia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Best players:

Davor Suker
    Karel Poborsky
    Paul Gascoigne
    Matthias Sammer
    Andreas Kopke

12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    There is one mistake by me there, and one by the magazine. Helder only got a 6 so that is my typo (hopefully I didn't make any others). But Dimas is missing from the names in the magazine for this game (not just listed without a rating). Tavares was a sub (and normally they get ratings, but he was listed as if not a sub although his entry into the game is signified by the number 79).

I did have a look through that one today up till the point Figo went off. I'd say if using Italian style ratings (although perhaps being more generous than they would be so more towards the English ratings in that way to an extent) then personally I'd score Figo at least 7.5. It'd be more if he'd had his shooting boots on as he blazed his two chances off target, but the first was at least a sharp effort, and the second was after his own work and skill had been prominent in making the opening (with some team-mate help). Him and Rui Costa were about equal for me in terms of passing, prompting, nice control etc (what Portugal were praised for after the game), so if Rui Costa is worth slightly more for this particular game it'd be on the basis of playing all of it and also that his chances were a bit harder to convert into a goal, or on target (Schmeichel made one save from him).

I'd actually think similarly about Michael Laudrup to be fair genuinely, and the goal is probably what would set his brother apart if anything (obviously I'm judging things with 20 or so minutes to go and don't remember much about those 20 minutes from the time itself).

Sousa was well worth a 7 probably too, even if they were being handed out less freely. Joao Pinto was certainly skilful and lively throughout, and Sa Pinto (but Portugal as a whole too) seemed to get a new lease of life/belief/enthusiasm and play with increased quality after his goal. He'd moved to the right when Folha came on to play down the left, with Figo while he stayed on (he didn't limp off as such so not sure if there was a fitness issue or not) and Rui Costa playing as the two AMs still, even a bit more focused on playing through the middle since Folha's introduction I suppose.

Less skill on the ball from the defenders but there were a few decent tackles for sure, from various players. Good game anyway, and Portugal were particularly good in possession for sure (while Michael Laudrup's quality showed for Denmark and Brian had moments of danger and incision).

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #138 PDG1978, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    That game probably received the most complimentary write-up too:

"There's one in every competition and this was it. A match that kicks you up the arse and makes you realise that the international football tournament you've been looking forward to for months has arrived.

Forget English hesitancy. Move swiftly over German tactical nous and the blatant unfairness of that Spanish sending off. This was the real thing at last - the game where Euro 96 finally kicked into gear.

When Denmark took the lead against the run of play through Brian Laudrup via Mikel Beck's face, after a classic cock-up by Vitor Baia in the Portuguese goal, you knew things were looking up. A fascinating clash of styles, with hardworking, well organised Denmark trying to extinguish Portugal's attacking virtuosity, while taking advantage of their obvious defensive deficiencies.

But for some Schmeichel heroics, both Joao Pinto and Rui Costa would have levelled things. But the big blonde shot stopper was powerless to prevent the equaliser. A break down the left by substitute Antonio Folha ended in a teasing cross into the box and, despite the presence of seven Danish players in the area, it was the diminutive Sa Pinto who stole in front of Jens Risager and thundered a header past Schmeichel. It was no more than they deserved as Schmeichel himself was quick to admit.

"We were up against a good team of high technical quality, which I predict will go far in this tournament" he explained. "Not only are they good technically but physically they are very strong. They played defensively extremely well and created chances."

All in all a fair result, and with flags flying and supporters singing, the party finally got going on and off the pitch.

Sun in the sky, comedy hairstyles - and that was just Des Lynam - players with exotically mispronounced names, tans that have never even sniffed a sunbed, real skills and a real atmosphere. The very stuff of football life itself."

In terms of ratings for the matches themselves, that one got very slightly out-scored by England-Scotland and Italy-Czech Republic from the ones contained in this issue for spectacular moments and excitement combined, but was scored zero for dirty play, even though there were 7 bookings.
    The ratings were out of 5 stars (well diagrams to represent each category):

England-Scotland - Spectacular moments 3, Excitement 4, Dirty Play 1

Spain-Bulgaria - Spectacular moments 1, Excitement 2, Dirty Play 2

Germany-Czech Republic - Spectacular moments 0, Excitement 2, Dirty Play 2

Denmark-Portugal - Spectacular moments 3, Excitement 3, Dirty Play 0

Netherlands-Scotland - Spectacular moments 2, Excitement 3, Dirty Play 1

Romania-France - Spectacular moments 1, Excitement 3, Dirty Play 1

Italy-Russia - Spectacular moments 2, Excitement 4, Dirty Play 1

Turkey-Croatia - Spectacular moments 0, Excitement 1, Dirty Play 2

Romania-Bulgaria - Spectacular moments 1, Excitement 1, Dirty Play 1

Netherlands-Switzerland - Spectacular moments 2, Excitement 2, Dirty Play 0

Portugal-Turkey - Spectacular moments 0, Excitement 1, Dirty Play 1

Italy-Czech Republic - Spectacular moments 3, Excitement 4, Dirty Play 2

France-Spain - Spectacular moments 0, Excitement 1, Dirty Play 0

wm442433 repped this.
  14. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    "Dirty play", I'm not sure how to measure it, most of all since I have not exact memories, but the impression that I still have is that it was a tough fight though.
    Perhaps with less obvious dirty tricks than in other matches though, I don't know.

A match with much tense between two teams that did not want to lose this match. Spain was still in good dynamics around that time but with once again something to prove in final tournaments and France was playing its first tournament since '92 (knowing that they didn't even play in 1990 already) but we had the feeling (many people I think) that they were at the level and that they could beat this team of Spain. Logical final result anyway, both team would have signed for this before the kick-off, that's the feeling we can have.
    So I fully agree with the ratings (even though I haven't re-watch...) especially about the "Spectacular moments" (can't remember any, apart form the joy at the moment of the first goal, wich was a nice one btw, exploiting one of their main weaknesses) and about the "Excitement" part, though what I tried to say is that it was a match where none of the team wanted to lose control (both teams were not "perfect" and did not want to make that fatal mistake that can cause the difference and on another hand, they tried to hurt the oponnent on its weaknesses...difficult balance to find), it was very tight and highly competitive match with something about direct rivalry wich has must been emphasized in the pre-match speeches in the lockerooms or already some days before (it's a guess).
    All of that to say that if there was not too much exciting moments during that match, there was still much tense and some suspense between two teams of equal value all in all. At least as a French or as a Spanish viewer/ spectator, it was not "boring" I mean.

Both teams had relatively slow central defenses, about those weaknesses that were to be exploited. And from the French perspective, you had to put the pressure on a player like Jorge Otero. From the Spanish perspective, I think that it was about beating Roche and more especially Blanc on speed.

PDG1978 repped this.
  15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, maybe the more accurate description instead of 'dirty play' is their summary of "the less savoury side of the game" and they cite these examples of what it can include - "Cheating, dirty tackles, time wasting and gonad twisting!".

The player ratings are pretty good aren't they, so yes the match entertainment ratings are just reflecting the cagey nature of the game I think.

This was the write-up for that match:

Another sparkling performance by Youri Djorkaeff was dulled by a defensive lapse in the last five minutes as France shared the spoils with Spain in a dour 1-1 at Elland Road.

France were by far the more adventurous side in the first half but Spain were up to the task in defence. The nearest the French came to a goal was when Guerin hit a venomous shot only to have it saved by the ageing, but still effective, Zubizarreta.

In the second half, France came out determined to turn their chances into goals and the pressure paid off when midfielder Djorkaeff burst through the middle to slot home an inch-perfect pass from Karembeu. The crowd went wild, more out of relief than excitement as they sensed they might actually witness some decent football.

The French had numerous chances to add to their lead, most notably from Dugarry - a graduate of the Teddy Sheringham school of heading - who skied his chance to ice the game. One chance was all that the Spanish needed and that came in the last five minutes, as a bad French clearance was hooked back into the box by substitute Manjarin for Caminero to slot past the flailing Lama.

French coach Aime Jacquet was upset with his side letting the lead slip after creating so many chances but was still positive about their chances of qualifying.

"I am a bit disappointed. We made numerous chances but were unable to take them" said Jacquet. "But we'll look forward to the next game. This is a young team really looking to the future and they will improve."

wm442433 repped this.
  16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I haven't found an overall XI by La Stampa (it could be somewhere but I didn't find it today) but there seems to be a list by country of best player and perhaps it is biggest disappointment compared to expectations or something like that, in their assessment:
    [​IMG]

comme repped this.
  17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Starting to add La Stampa ratings for individual games (I'll not try to do it group by group, but will see if I can get them all eventually):
    La Stampa (1996-06-10) : Editrice La Stampa : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    Germany vs Czech Republic (group game):
    Germany - Kopke 6.5, Reuter 6, Babbel 6.5, Sammer 7, Helmer 6.5, Ziege 7, Hassler 6.5, Eilts 6.5, Moller 7, Bobic 6.5, Kuntz 6; Czech Republic - Kouba 5.5, Suchoparek 6.5, Kadlec 5, Hornak 6, Latal 5, Bejbl 6, Frydek 5 (Berger 5.5), Nemec 6, Nedved 6.5, Poborsky 5.5 (Drulak 5.5), Kuka 6
    Denmark vs Portugal:
    Denmark - Schmeichel 7, Helveg 5.5, Rieper 6, Hogh 5.5, Risager 5.5, Larsen 6.5, Thomsen 6, M.Laudrup 6.5, Steen-Nielsen 6.5, B.Laudrup 7, Beck 5.5; Portugal - Baia 5.5, Paulinho Santos 5.5, Couto 6.5, Helder 6.5, Dimas 6, Sa Pinto 7, Sousa 6.5, Oceano 5 (Folha 6), Rui Costa 7, Figo 6, Joao Pinto 7
    Spain vs Bulgaria:
    Spain - Zubizarreta 6, Belsue 6, Alkorta 6, Abelardo 6.5, Sergi 6.5, Caminero 5.5, Amor 6 (Alfonso 6), Hierro 7, Guerrero 5 (Amavisca 5), Luis Enrique 6, Pizzi 5.5; Bulgaria - Mihailov 7, Kishishev 6, Hubchev 5, Ivanov 7, Kiriakov 6, Letchkov 6.5, Yankov 6, Balakov 6, Kostadinov 6, Penev 5.5, Stoichkov 7

18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Going back to the only game played before that trio, the opener of the tournament England vs Switzerland:
    La Stampa (1996-06-09) : Editrice La Stampa : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    England - Seaman 6, G.Neville 6.5, Southgate 6, Adams 5.5, Pearce 6, Anderton 5.5, Ince 6, Gascoigne 6, McManaman 6.5 (Stone 5.5), Sheringham 5 (Barmby 5.5), Shearer 6.5
    Switzerland - Pascolo 7, Jeanneret 6, Vega 6.5, Henchoz 5, Quentin 6, Vogel 7, Geiger 5.5, Sforza 6, Bonvin 5 (Chapuisat 6.5), Grassi 6, Turkylmaz 6.5

comme repped this.
  19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    La Stampa (1996-06-11) : Editrice La Stampa : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    Netherlands vs Scotland
    Netherlands - Van der Sar 6.5, Reiziger 7, De Kock 6, Bogarde 6.5, R. De Boer 6 (Winter 6), Seedorf 5.5, Davids 6.5, Witschge 7, Taument 5.5 (Kluivert 5.5), Bergkamp 5, Jordi Cruyff 5.5; Scotland - Goram 6, McKimmie 6, Calderwood 6, Hendry 6.5, Boyd 6, Gallacher 6 (McKinlay 6), McCall 6, McAllister 7, Collins 7.5, Booth 5.5 (Spencer 6), Durie 6
    Romania vs France
    Romania - Stelea 5, Petrescu 6, Belodedici 5.5, Mihali 5, Selymes 5.5, Popescu 6, Lupescu 6, Hagi 7, Munteanu 6, Lacatus 5.5 (Ilie 6), Raducioiu 5 (Moldovan 6); France - Lama 7, Thuram 6, Blanc 6.5, Desailly 7, Di Meco 6, Karembeu 6, Deschamps 6.5, Zidane 6, Guerin 6, Djorkaeff 7, Dugarry 6.5

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    La Stampa (1996-06-12) : Editrice La Stampa : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    Italy vs Russia
    Italy - Peruzzi 6.5, Mussi 6.5, Costacurta 6.5, Apolloni 6, Maldini 6.5, Di Livio 6 (Fuser 6.5), Di Matteo 5.5, Albertini 6.5, Del Piero 5.5 (Donadoni 7), Casiraghi 8, Zola 7; Russia Cherchesov 5, Tetradze 6.5, Bushamanov 5.5 (Yanovski 5), Onopko 5.5, Kovtun 6, Kanchelskis 6, Karpin 6 (Kiriakov 6), Mostovoi 7, Radimov 6.5, Tsymbalar 6.5, Kolyvanov 5.5
    La Stampa (1996-06-12) : Editrice La Stampa : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    Turkey vs Croatia
    Turkey - Rustu 7, Vedat 6, Rahim 5.5, Alpay 6.5, Ogun 6.5, Tolunay 6, Tugay 6, Sergen 6, Abdullah 5.5, Hakan Sukur 5, Arif 6.5; Croatia - Ladic 6, Bilic 6.5, Jerkan 6, Stimac 5.5, Stanic 6, Asanovic 6.5, Boban 5.5 (Soldo 6), Prosinecki 6, Jarni 6, Suker 5, Boksic 6.5 (Vlaovic 7)

21. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    La Stampa (1996-06-14) : Editrice La Stampa : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    Netherlands vs Switzerland
    Netherlands - Van der Sar 6, Reiziger 6, Blind 6, Bogarde 6, R. De Boer 6, Seedorf 5 (De Kock 6), Winter 6, Witschge 5.5, Jordi Cruyff 7, Bergkamp 7, Hoekstra 7; Switzerland Pascolo 6.5, Hottiger 5.5, Jeanneret 5 (Comisetti 5.5), Henchoz 6.5, Quentin 6, Vogel 6, Sforza 5.5, Vega 6, Grassi 5.5, Turklymaz 5.5, Chapuisat 6
    Bulgaria vs Romania
    Bulgaria - Mihailov 6, Kishishev 6.5, Yankov 5, Ivanov 6, Tzvetanov 5, Letchkov 6, Yordanov 5.5, Balakov 6, Kostadinov 6 (Borimirov 6), Penev 6 (Siriakov 6), Stoichkov 7; Romania - Stelea 6, Petrescu 6, Prodan 6, Belodedici 5, Selymes 5, Hagi 5.5, Popescu 6, Lupescu 6 (Galca 6), Munteanu 6.5, Lacatus 5 (Moldovan 5.5), Raducioiu 5

22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    La Stampa (1996-06-15) : Editrice La Stampa : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    Italy vs Czech Republic
    Italy - Peruzzi 7.5, Mussi 4.5, Costacurta 5, Apolloni 4, Maldini 5.5, Fuser 5, Albertini 7, D.Baggio 5 (Carboni 6), Donadoni 6.5, Chiesa 7, Ravanelli 5 (Casiraghi 5); Czech Republic - Kouba 6.5, Latal 6.5, Hornak 6, Kadlec 6.5, Suchoparek 6, Nemec 6.5, Poborsky 7.5, Bejbl 7, Berger 6, Nedved 6.5, Kuka 6
    La Stampa (1996-06-15) : Editrice La Stampa : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    Portugal vs Turkey
    Portugal - Baia 6, Paulinho Santos 6, Couto 7.5, Helder 5.5, Dimas 6.5, Sa Pinto 5.5, Figo 5.5, Sousa 6.5, Rui Costa 6.5, Folha 5 (Tavares 6.5), Joao Pinto 5; Turkey - Rustu 6.5, Recep 5, Alpay 6, Ogun 5 (Rhaim 5.5), Vedat 6, Abdullah 6.5, Oguz 5.5, Tugay 6, Sergen 5.5, Saffet 6, Hakan Sukur 5

23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    La Stampa (1996-06-16) : Editrice La Stampa : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    Scotland vs England
    Scotland - Goram 5.5, McKimmie 6, Calderwood 6, Hendry 5, Boyd 5, McAllister 5, McCall 6, Collins 6, McKinlay 5, Spencer 5 (McCoist 5.5), Durie 5.5; England - Seaman 8, G.Neville 6, Adams 5, Pearce 5 (Redknapp 5.5), Anderton 6, Gascoigne 6.5, Southgate 5.5, Ince 6, McManaman 6, Shearer 6.5, Sheringham 5
    France vs Spain
    France - Lama 6, Angloma 6.5 (Roche 5.5), Blanc 6, Desailly 6, Lizarazu 5.5, Karembeu 6, Deschamps 6, Zidane 6, Guerin 6.5, Djorkaeff 6.5, Loko 5.5; Spain - Zubizarreta 6.5, Otero 6 (Kiko 6.5), Lopez 5.5, Abelardo 6, Sergi 6.5, Luis Enrique 5.5 (Manjarin 6.5), Alkorta 6, Hierro 6, Caminero 6.5, Amavisca 5.5, Alfonso 5.5

24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    La Stampa (1996-06-17) : Editrice La Stampa : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    Croatia vs Denmark
    Croatia - Ladic 6.5, Bilic 6, Jerkan 6.5, Stimac 6.5, Stanic 6, Asanovic 6.5, Boban 6.5, Prosinecki 6.5, Jarni 6, Suker 8, Vlaovic 6; Denmark - Schmeichel 5.5, Thomsen 5, Hogh 5, Rieper 5, Helveg 5.5 (Laursen 5), Vilfort 6, Steen-Nielsen 5, Larsen 5.5, Schjonberg 6, B.Laudrup 5.5, M.Laudrup 5.5
    La Stampa (1996-06-17) : Editrice La Stampa : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    Russia vs Germany
    Russia - Kharin 6.5, Onopko 6, Nikiforov 5, Kovtun 5, Kanchelskis 5, Tetradze 7.5, Khoklov 6, Radimov 5 (Karpin 5), Tsymbalar 7, Mostovoi 6, Kolyvanov 4.5; Germany - Kopke 6.5, Babbel 6, Sammer 6.5, Helmer 6.5, Reuter 6, Hassler 5, Eilts 6.5, Moller 6.5, Ziege 5, Klinsmann 6.5, Bierhoff 5

I don't think Babbel's score is an 8 anyway (I think it's just blurred).

25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #150 PDG1978, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    La Stampa (1996-06-19) : Editrice La Stampa : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    France vs Bulgaria
    France - Lama 6, Thuram 6, Blanc 7.5, Desailly 6.5, Lizarazu 6.5, Karembeu 6, Deschamps 7, Zidane 6 (Pedros 6.5), Guerin 6.5, Djorkaeff 7, Dugarry 6 (Loko 6.5); Bulgaria - Mihailov 6.5, Kremenliev 5.5, Ivanov 6, Houbtchev 5, Tzvetanov 5.5, Letchkov 7, Yordanov 6, Yankov 5.5, Balakov 6, Stoichkov 6.5, Penev 5
    Netherlands vs England
    Netherlands - Van der Sar 5, Reiziger 5, Blind 4.5, Bogarde 5, Winter 4.5, Seedorf 4, R. De Boer 4, Witschge 4.5 (De Kock 5), Jordi Cruyff 3, Bergkamp 5, Hoekstra 4 (Kluivert 7); England - Seaman 7, G.Neville 7, Adams 6, Southgate 6, Pearce 6.5, Anderton 6.5, Gascoigne 7, Ince 6.5, McManaman 7, Shearer 7.5, Sheringham 7.5

There were reports/line-ups for Scotland vs Switzerland, and Spain vs Romania, but no ratings (maybe no La Stampa journalists watched the full games that happened at the same time as the other two?)