The best players of Euro 96

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Nov 29, 2016.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Letchkov seems one with contrasting views (or mentions vs non-mentions), and I think his could be a case of generally playing well but not having a huge effect in the end, certainly not with end product even if one good chance created was mentioned in the link shown by DFTB, along with good ratings on that scale - which looks equivalent to a 'harsh' Italian newspapers system perhaps - I'd first seen 6.5 for Gascoigne vs the Netherlands and thought what??!! but no ratings venture near 9 out of 10 I see.

That does seem to tally with what I'd have assumed in his case, and maybe there will always be differing views to some extent, or different players particularly impressing different observers. I had thought his WC94 was better and more notable overall, and so I still think of him as less of a candidate for an attempted best XI than Asanovic say, but I recalled praise for his games in Euro 96 too and the general idea he'd played well technically.

That Bulgaria vs France game seemed well received by the writer of that report I noticed too. The Croatia vs Denmark game is shown to be pretty good in highlight form I'd say too. I think there was entertainment (especially with a few inventive goals) and quality, but I think the latter stages were plagued a bit by cautiousness (the contrasting report on France vs Czech Republic hints at that too of course).

2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, World Soccer and France Football have diverging assesments for Paolo Sousa and Boban for example; also Patrik Berger. In case of Boban FF sees it more like how PDG remembered it. I understand that it doesn't make things easier but maybe exactly because of this (and FF their reputation) it makes it good to see.

On the first page I mentioned Asanovic as a possible overlooked player, and FF has him as the top man for Croatia (with Suker just behind and PDG might be right that he was on course to make his case for player of the tournament until Croatia bombed out).

There are also (creative) players where there is more agreement about. Poborsky, McManaman, Shearer (so far nobody has perceived them near the 'flop' regions).

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. - H.L. Mencken"

comme repped this.
  3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    As for my attempt at a top 10, I tend to think maybe I'd be sticking Asanovic straight in at number 7 (although in reality hard to be so exact and maybe it would be even watching all the games in full again still) and taking Nedved out of it (so keeping Gascoigne, Shearer and B.Laudrup in).

Maybe I'd split that into two sections - very feasible contenders as top player, depending on viewpoint/method, being Sammer, Blanc, Suker, Poborsky, Rui Costa (on a * to *** scale of grading maybe the only one I'd assume would get a *** with no questons might be Sammer though, but the others could I'd have thought and below ** wouldn't seem right - comme didn't have any of them below that on his first attempt though anyway). The next 5 I could see as **/*** borderline cases, and more like 'some of the top players' recommendations - Seaman (clearly other GK's are in the mix for best of the tournament according to various sources anyway), Asanovic, Gascoigne, Shearer, B.Laudrup. I could see indeed though that going out in the group B.Laudrup's case for more than ** looks slim, while Shearer's tournament seems to probably fit *** even if I estimate him at 9 myself and some of the others might not get ***. Maybe I do see his tournament as slightly like Beckenbauer's in 1974 though - if he'd have shown his very best form and scored some individually exceptional goals maybe then his name would be widely mentioned as the best of the tournament, wheras as it is I still feel maybe the fact England went far and he scored 5 goals makes him among the top contenders partially by default (although I do think he should be up there somewhere and some of the links do actually give him high averages even on the 'harsh' scale - but other sources have Sheringham or indicate Gascoigne as MOTM vs the Netherlands for example).

4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Is there a link for the La Republica ratings?

5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The France Football ratings can be converted into averages of course:

For example Anderton has a 5 vs Germany and averages 2 for the other 4 games.

Seaman's average is slightly above Sammer's (or anyones I think?).

Letchkov and Hagi actually too average over 4 per game.

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Just trawling through the British newspaper archives. An article from the Daily Mirror in which their journalists answer 6 questions:

1. DID we do better than we thought?

2. DID we deserve to beat the Germans?

3. WHO was our most influential player?

4. SHOULD Southgate have been allowed to take the penalty?

5. WHAT differences will we see under Glenn Hoddle?

6. WHO is the man of Euro 96 so far?

HARRY HARRIS

BETTER than most people thought in the country because they probably expected another failure.

YES, but equally the Germans can make out an argument that they deserved to beat us.

DAVID Seaman. And that says everything about the tactics of success built on sound defence.

NO. Why didn't Fowler or Ferdinand, or both, come on in the last minute as penalty-takers?

FEW to start with, but eventually an even greater emphasis on the Continental way.

MATTHIAS Sammer is a favourite in a surprisingly sub-standard German side.

NIGEL CLARKE

NO. I thought we had the capacity to reach the final and win it.

YES, we did. We were much better in the second half and the first period of extra time.

ALAN Shearer, different class as a taker of goals and a maker of them too.

NO, I believe that a forward player like Darren Anderton or Steve McManaman should have taken the responsibility.

VERY little, except that Paul Gascoigne may be phased out and Matt Le Tissier brought in.

GERMAN midfield destroyer Dieter Eilts, a tremendous tackler and winner of the ball.

TONY STENSON

WITH home advantange we should have won it. But we should use Wembley only for the final.

CERTAINLY. I feel Terry Venables should have introduced Les Ferdinand and/or Steve Stone and Robbie Fowler.

ON Wednesday, Tony Adams was a colossus. Overall it has to be David Seaman or Alan Shearer.

YES. It was brave decision. Still wonder why pounds 4m attackers like Paul Ince or Darren Anderton didn't step forward first.

GAZZA, Anderton, Sheringham will go. Step forward Le Tissier, Fowler and Redknapp.

GERMANY'S Matthias Sammer just shaded David Seaman.

MARK IRWIN

I ALWAYS expected England to reach the last four but I never dared hope they'd match the world's best.

THERE was nothing to choose between the teams. Defeat for Germany on penalties would have been just as rough.

ALAN Shearer. England have proved we have better strikers than any other nation in Europe and he's the best of the lot.

YES. He volunteered for the job and had the confidence and the bottle to believe he would score.

I'M sure Hoddle will continue where Venables left off with the same players and the same 3-5-2 formation

GARETH Southgate. Sadly, he's the guy we'll always associate with Euro 96.

MIKE WALTERS

A MONTH ago I predicted Germany to win Euro 96 and England to reach the semis.

WE did enough to win but we didn't use our subs or throw enough bodies forward to win it in normal time.

DAVID Seaman - without his saves at crucial times it wouldn't have been such fun over the last two weeks.

IF HE was prepared to shoulder the responsibility, why not?

HOPEFULLY fewer Christmas trees, less caution and more goals.

MATTHIAS Sammer (Germany). I wish he was English.

FRANK WIECHULA

WE did better than many people expected and that's no mean feat.

YES, but we didn't get the luck we needed, and losing was no disgrace.

GOALKEEPER David Seaman, head and mostly hands above the rest of England's lionhearts.

PROBABLY not considering his inexperience, but he wanted to and it's hard to argue with that.

PROBABLY not too many in the early stages as Terry Venables' squad continues to prosper.

GERMAN defender Matthias Sammer has consistently caught the eye.

JOHN

EDWARDS

YES - I didn't think we'd get past the quarter-finals.

DEFINITELY. We were more positive and got stronger as it went on.

DAVID Seaman. Without him, England may not even have made it through the group stage.

HE told Venables he was OK, but I'd have sent Paul Ince in before him - experience is so vital.

VERY few. He has the same outlook as Venables and will give every Euro 96 player another chance.

ALAN Shearer had a five-in-five goals return that's made him the most wanted hit man in Europe.

RICHARD TANNER

YES. I thought the quarter-finals were the best England could hope for.

YES. That's what makes it so hard for everyone to bear. Player for player they are no better than us. Just luckier.

THERE are several candidates - Seaman, Shearer, Adams and Southgate. I go for Shearer.

YES. If he fancied it then why not? None of the others have much, if anything, of a track record

NO drastic changes because he thinks along the same lines as Venables.

FOR me it's Marcel Desailly, the French star. Czech raider Karel Poborsky runs him close.

STEVE MILLAR

NO. I expected us to reach the semi-finals and then tell of another hard luck story.

ON the night, yes. We were the better team but didn't take our chances.

DAVE Seaman. He grew in stature and must be regarded as the world's No 1.

NO. Paul Ince and Tony Adams should have barged him out of the way instead of ducking it.

YOU won't notice any on the pitch but he'll clamp down on late night boozing.

MR Supercool Matthias Sammer. The most complete player in world soccer.

DAVID MOORE

NOT really - I tipped England to reach the semi finals before the tournament began.

YES, just. On the balance of play through normal and extra time, we held a slight edge.

MY vote goes to Paul Ince. I thought he was excellent from the start, and he really drove us on in the semI-final.

YES, assuming he wasn't press-ganged into the task.

I BELIEVE England's new coach will attempt to build on the sound foundations laid by Terry Venables.

HE'S not one of the glamorous names, but Dieter Eilts has been crucial to Germany's progress.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  7. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Another from the Sunday Times on some potential targets for Premier League clubs:

ABDULLAH Ercan (Turkey)

FORCED to play a more defensive role in Turkey's last-minute defeat by Croatia, he nevertheless let instinct take over to go forward and restore momentum to stuttering breaks. Not physically imposing, but incredibly fit, working predominantly up and down the outside-left channel. Technically sound, he was one of Turkey's few bright spots. Age: 24. Position: midfielder. Club: Trabzonspor

Estimated value: Pounds 2.5m.

Jose Luis CAMINERO (Spain)

A CHAMELEON of a player, he can appear anonymous for most of a match before ghosting in to alter it. An example was his 85th-minute equaliser in the 1-1 Group B draw with France. Allying gifted technique to astute vision, he did not seem fully fit in Euro 96 but would surely revel against flat English back fours. Age: 28. Position: deep-lying centre-forward, attacking midfielder. Club: Atletico Madrid.

Estimated value: Pounds 4.5m.

Dieter EILTS (Germany)

ANCHORMAN midfielders so often prove the focal point of Premier League teams. All the talk may have been about Sammer but Eilts is hugely important to Germany too. Voted the best player in his position in the Bundesliga last season. Knows when to inspire rearguard actions, when to initiate attacks. Wise head, strong legs. Few English managers would turn him away. Age: 31. Position: defensive central midfielder. Club: Werder Bremen.

Estimated value Pounds 3m

Robert JARNI (Croatia)

STARTED slowly but his incredible pace became one of Croatia's most potent weapons, while his crossing of the ball provided Suker with several clear-cut opportunities he did not take. More attack-minded than most defenders, if he has a weakness it is the work he does closer to his own goal which, sometimes, almost seemed a secondary consideration for him. Age 27. Position: defender. Club: Real Betis.

Estimated value: Pounds 2.5m.

Karel POBORSKY (Czech Republic)

EFFECTIVE going at defences from deep, he unsettled Italy's Maldini, something few are able to do, with his pace and exceptionally quick feet. Tried to exploit the inside-left and right channels, which he did to perfection against Portugal when he scored the winner. With more English teams using one striker with another slightly deeper, he would not look out of place. Age: 24. Position: midfielder/forward. Club: Slavia Prague.

Estimated value: Pounds 4.5m.

SERGI Barjuan (Spain)

HE gave a lesson on how to break from the back. His knack of knowing when to join a move, change its tempo and finish it, stood out in a Spain side that often erred on the side of caution. He shone in the first half against England, when he gave Anderton untold problems. He would not struggle in physical encounters and does not lack tackling ability. Age: 25. Position: defender. Club: Barcelona.

Estimated value: Pounds 3.5m

Lilian THURAM (France)

TACKLES with the poise of a sophisticated assassin. Strong and pacy, boasting an impressive physique, he achieves a rapid synchronicity of thought and movement. Not averse to a touch of the rough stuff when required he played a big part in preventing Holland and the Czech Republic scoring from open play Thuram is also adept on the overlap. Brave but brainy. Age: 24. Position: right- back. Club: Monaco.

Estimated value: Pounds 3m.

Kubilay TURKYILMAZ (Switzerland)

REMEMBER him? Stuart Pearce should, after England's left-back was repeatedly skinned during that 1-1 Wembley draw in which Turkyilmaz claimed a late, deserved penalty equaliser. This natural penalty-area predator has a refreshing willingness to run at people, combined with fine close control. Can also drift wide and deliver enticing crosses. Age: 29. Position: forward. Club: Grasshopper.

Estimated value: Pounds 1.5m.

PuckVanHeel and PDG1978 repped this.
  8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Assessment of the England squad at Euro 96:

With England under fresh leadership, Dave Thomas gives a candid assessment of the class of 96.

ONE OF Terry Venables's biggest achievements was gained long before Euro 96 began. From the moment he took over the England team, he introduced a core of young players gradually into the team. The balanced performances provided by his players, as a team and individuals, bore testament to his planning.

Venables leaves an England side that will play a major part in the next World Cup, European championship and, provided Hoddle continues this careful knitting process, the World Cup after that.

If that wasn't enough, Venables, aware of his side's reliance on Gascoigne as sole playmaker, taught the Rangers midfielder to mesh his own individuality with the team as a whole. Meanwhile, the team have learned to play when Gascoigne has had quiet periods.

Nevertheless, all great international sides have had a great playmaker and Hoddle, another coach who believes in perpetually building, is already on the hunt for the next Gascoigne. He is optimistic of finding that man and that the rump of the team Venables has left behind will still be around to play with him.

DAVID SEAMAN

Age 33, 17 appearances under Venables rating 9/10

While outfield players are generally regarded to be over the hill at 30, goalkeepers enjoy a much longer career and are expected to peak in their mid-thirties. In the meantime, Walker, already one of the best keepers in the Premier League, can hone his skills. If he does half as well as Seaman has at that, then England will keep its reputation for producing the best goalkeepers in the world.

GARY NEVILLE

Age 21, 14 apps 7/10

Already a defender beyond his years before the tournament. He will have learned much from his involvement in Euro 96, particularly how to deal with attackers who, like Spain's Sergi, approach him from deep, at great pace up the inside-left channel. His level-headed temperament means that that process is likely to happen quickly.

STUART PEARCE

Age 34, 15 apps 7/10

The cheer that acclaimed Pearce's penalty in the shoot-out against Spain was as loud as you are ever likely to hear at Wembley. Every fan in the stadium knew the significance of him converting the opportunity and exorcising the ghost of Turin 1990. His lack of pace was compensated by his total commitment to the cause. Graeme Le Saux will fill his void.

TONY ADAMS

Age 29, 17 apps 8/10

Showed enough anticipation, courage and cool-headedness to prove that he has one World Cup left in him. Not the most technically gifted but another grafter. In Hoddle's team he is likely to face competition from Ehiogu, who is more mobile.

GARETH SOUTHGATE

Age 25, 9 apps 8/10

The boy from nowhere. Coaches have been amazed at how quickly he not only came to terms with international football but how he went on improving once the tournament got under way. His versatility gives coaches so many options that by the time his long England career ends he will have had many opportunities to wipe out that penalty miss.

PAUL INCE

Age 27, 11 apps 8/10

He will be difficult to dislodge for the next four years at least. There will be no shortage of replacements, with Campbell and Redknapp best equipped to fill the position in front of the defence as well as a plethora of other candidates.

DAVID PLATT

Age 30, 17 apps 7/10

Now generally regarded as second fiddle to Ince. He will be used sparingly to fill gaps or add another dimension to the team. Again, there looks to be no shortage of emerging midfielders.

DARREN ANDERTON

Age 24, 16 apps 6/10

Had a mediocre Euro 96, apart from a spell against the Germans. That was less to do with his ability and more to do with his lack of full fitness after a long injury. Still, a player with exceptional football intelligence and of the type that goes on learning.

STEVE McMANAMAN

Age 24, 15 apps 7/10

In the space of three weeks he went from being a gifted, if sometimes intermittent, performer, to one of the best attacking midfielders in Europe. Probably needs to work on his defensive game.

PAUL GASCOIGNE

Age 29, 15 apps 7/10

Performed as well as in the World Cup six years ago. If all goes to plan not always a certainty with him he will bow out in the next World Cup. Hoddle will want the same tactical discipline Gascoigne gave Venables while he hunts for a replacement.

TEDDY SHERINGHAM

Age 30, 18 apps 7/10

At times his all-round play was exceptional, at others he tended to do too much delving into midfield, though that was generally attributable to the tactics of England's opponents. Because he lacks pace and is already 30, he has a shorter time left than, say, Shearer. Once Barmby reaches the level he is expected to, Sheringham will be under pressure.

ALAN SHEARER

Age 25, 21 apps 9/10

In a tournament where, more often than not, forward play was a disappointment, he stood out a mile. He will be one of the first names Hoddle puts on his team sheet for some time.

JAMIE REDKNAPP, ROBBIE FOWLER, NICK BARMBY, STEVE STONE, SOL CAMPBELL

Bit-part players they may have been, but all of them will form the core of the squad for the World Cup qualifiers. Redknapp had the most influence, changing the game when he came on against Scotland. Injury in that game prevented him being able to impress further in the tournament.

9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Tournament review from the Independent:

10 magic moments

1 England's second goal against the Dutch.

2 England's third goal against the Dutch.

3 England's fourth goal against the Dutch.

4 Davor Suker lobbing Peter Schmeichel.

5 Karel Poborsky lobbing Portugal.

6 Gazza lobbing Colin Hendry . . . and then netting the volley.

7 Seaman's save.

8 When play was stopped at Lord's to acclaim England's victory on penalties.

9 Patrick Kluivert's goal that sent out the Scots.

10 The German "golden goal" being disallowed.

LEARNING CURVE

5 lessons from the tournament

1 Don't try to be too clever. Arrigo Sacchi did, by changing a winning team. Miroslav Blazevic, Croatia's coach, also did and his side lost the next two matches.

2 Don't, under any circumstances, agree to penalty shoot-outs.

3 Don't billet anyone in Scarborough, not even the Bulgarians.

4 Don't believe the FA when it says a game is sold out.

5 That whatever Sky may say, it requires terrestrial coverage of a football tournament to enthrall the nation.

SEE YOU IN FRANCE* seven emerging talents from Euro 96

*provided your team qualifies

1 Karel Poborsky. His haircut was not the only thing that conjured memories of '76 for the Czechs.

2 Steve McManaman. England's new star, was probably the most watchable player of the tournament.

3 Christian Ziege. Solid at the back, powerful going forward.

4 Enrico Chiesa. His appearance was brief and in a losing cause, but there was brilliance, as England may find out in the World Cup qualifiers.

5 Gary Neville. Almost as impressive as Ziege.

6 Patrick Kluivert (if selected). See Chiesa.

7 Baddiel and Skinner (and Brodie). Can we wait two years for the follow- up single?

THE DOWNSIDE 10 rip-offs from Euro 96

1 Wembley's pounds 1 Mars bars.

2 The leisure centre car park at Aston Villa, which went up from pounds 3 to pounds 5.

3 Wembley's pounds 1.50 bottles of mineral water.

4 The cans of Coke that cost pounds 1 at St James' Park.

5 The England programmes for the Switzerland and Scotland games. Both cost pounds 4, and contained virtually identical material.

6 The Stanley Park car park in Liverpool. Normally pounds 3, the fee was pounds 10.

7 The Wembley hot dogs costing pounds 3.20.

8 The pubs near Hillsborough which charged Danish fans pounds 1 to watch their team play.

9 The buses from Leeds city centre to Elland Road which charged pounds 1.50, nearly three times the normal fare, for the short trip.

10 The pub near Old Trafford charging pounds 2.20 for a pint of bitter normally costing pounds 1.60.

EUROSPEAK three weeks of talk, talk, talk

1 I held out my hand holding George Cohen's cap and the big crystal and, bang, Shearer scored . . . When the penalty was taken, I willed David [Seaman] to dive to his right and it was a magnificent save.

Uri Geller, claiming his psychic powers helped

England beat Scotland.

2 Three fresh men, three fresh legs.

Jimmy Hill, during England's match against Spain.

3 The Czechs go through with the name of their benefactor stamped on their shirts - Arrigo Sacchi.

An editorial in Gazzetta dello Sport.

4 We're eating British beef and it's perfectly all right. It can't be doing us too much harm.

Wolfgang Niersbach, German PRO.

5 The Germans are very well behaved, more like a lawyers' convention than a squad of footballers.

Jeff Burnige, German team liaison officer and a

Millwall director.

GOING UP IN THE WORLD

reputations that were enhanced by Euro 96

1 David Seaman. Who has replaced Peter Schmeichel as the acknowledged world No 1.

2 Matthias Sammer. Europe's best defender, though a number of his team- mates run him close.

3 Czech footballers. Who surprised just about everyone, apart from our own Rupert Metcalf.

4 Craig Brown. Wins the Blue Peter award for making a lot out of bits and pieces.

5 Paul Gascoigne. Who began Euro 96 by being publicly vilified but ended it as a national hero again, this time without the aid of tears.

6 Ruud Gullit. The only man capable of outshining Alan Hansen in the punditry stakes.

7 England fans. Like their team, they got better and better as the tournament went on.

8 Football. Which, despite a tournament of variable quality, emphasised its capacity to enthrall, and even received a ringing endorsement from Germaine Greer.

COMING DOWN IN THE WORLD

those that failed to live up to their pre-tournament billing

1 Zvonimir Boban. Inconsistent is putting it kindly. Lacked spirit and leadership qualities.

2 Robert Prosinecki - even worse than Boban.

3 Those who insisted Gazza should be dropped after the Swiss match. They know who they are.

4 Luigi Apolloni. His unnecessary dismissal was the root cause of Italy's failure.

5 Gheorghe Hagi. Who is now as (in)effective in international football as at club level.

6 Portuguese football. Plenty of pretty patterns, but it flattered to deceive.

7 Paolo Maldini. He may return to his pre-eminent position, but had an unusually uncertain tournament and was roasted by the Czechs.

8 Zinedine Zidane - arrived at the tournament hailed as the next great midfielder in European footballer. Didn't play like it.

9 ITV. Admittedly we weren't expecting much, but they still failed to make the most of some knowledgeable panellists. Deservedly trounced in the semi-final head-to-head.

AND FINALLY, THE ALTERNATIVE VERSION: how different would the tournament have been if . . . ?

1 The Swiss had won in the final minutes against England as they threatened to.

2 Gary McAllister had not missed that penalty.

3 The Russians had taken the lead against the Germans.

4 Arrigo Sacchi had not opted to changed a winning team (see Learning Curve).

5 Edgar Davids had not walked out on the Dutch.

6 England had had to qualify by playing competitive matches.

7 Eric had been playing.

8 Roberto had been playing.

9 Ruud had been playing.

10 The German keeper had been sent off against Italy.

TEAMS OF THE TOURNAMENT

GLENN MOORE'S TEAM

SEAMAN England

HORNAK Czech Rep

SAMMER Germany

BLANC France

POBORSKY Czech Rep

RUI COSTA Portugal

EILTS Ger

ASANOVIC Croatia

McMANAMAN England

SHEARER England

STOICHKOV Bulgaria

Substitutes: Kopke (Germany), Maldini (Italy), Helmer (Germany), Djorkaeff (France), Suker (Croatia).

PHIL SHAW'S TEAM

SEAMAN England

SAMMER Germany

DESAILLY FRANCE

ZIEGE GERMANY

REUTER Germany

EILTS Germany

RUI COSTA Portugal

ASANOVIC Croatia

STOICHKOV Bulgaria

SHEARER England

SUKER Croatia

Substitutes: Lama (France), Jarni (Croatia), Nadal (Sp) Moller (Germany), Poborsky (Czech Rep)

RUPERT METCALF'S TEAM

SEAMAN England

SAMMER Germany

G NEVILLE England

BLANC France

SERGI Spain

POBORSKY Czech Rep

BEJBL Czech Rep

EILTS Germany

DJORKAEFF France

SHEARER England

SUKER Croatia

MATT TENCH'S TEAM

SEAMAN England

SAMMER Germany

EILTS Germany

MALDINI Italy

ZIEGE Germany

BEJBL Czech Rep

DESAILLY France

GASCOIGNE England

POBORSKY Czech Rep

McMANAMAN England

SHEARER England

Substitutes: Kopke (Germany), Jarni (Croatia) Ince (England), Zola (Italy), Klinsmann (Germany)

10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    A squad of the tournament picked by Craig Brown in the Daily Record:

Craig Brown didn't think twice when I asked him to name his all- star squad from Euro 96.

The Scotland boss grinned: "Goram, Leighton, Walker, Burley, McKimmie, Calderwood, Hendry, Boyd, McKinlay ..."

That's how highly he rates the guys who did the country proud with their efforts down south last month.

And when he got down to the serious business of picking a real superstar squad from the 16 countries, FOUR Scots made it to the final 22.

Super skipper Gary McAllister gets a starting slot, while Andy Goram, John Collins and Stuart McCall find places on the bench.

Brown admitted that picking this squad exclusively for the Daily Record was as difficult a decision as he's ever made.

He said: "Some of the football has been brilliant throughout the competition and so many quality players have done well.

"Many nations who reached the latter stages have had a host of top players all playing well.

"It's been difficult narrowing my selection to a team and 11 subs."

After great deliberation, this is his dream team (in a 3-5-2 formation):

David Seaman (England); Laurent Blanc (France), Matthias Sammer (Germany), Winston Bogarde (Holland); Brian Laudrup (Denmark), Rui Costa (Portugal), Gary McAllister (Scotland), Robert Prosinecki (Croatia), Robert Jarni (Croatia); Alan Shearer (England), Davor Suker (Croatia).

Subs are: Andy Goram (Scotland), Andoni Zubizarreta (Spain), Ramon Vega (Switzerland), Vaclav Nemecek (Czech Rep), Stuart McCall, John Collins (Scotland), Paul Gascoigne (England), Jurgen Klinsmann (Germany), Hristo Stoichkov (Bulgaria), Gianfranco Zola (Italy), Youri Djorkaeff (France).

Brown diplomatically bodyswerved naming a coach to lead these superstars.

But he smiled: "I would be happy to take those 22 players anywhere in the world. The thought of them together is mouth-watering."

Then Brown turned his attentions to the individual stars of the tournament.

He said: "Seaman gets the nod ahead of Goram just because he played more games.

"He had a wonderful tournament although his only mistake, the shot from Holland's Patrick Kluivert that went through his legs, effectively put us out.

"And, funnily enough, Goram has told me since then that he believes Seaman was unlucky. He thinks if Kluivert had hit the shot properly then Seaman would have saved it.

"Next is Sammer whom I first saw as an East German player at the World Youth championships in Chile in 1987.

"He stuck out even then and his career has gone the way I would have expected it to.

"He was the first East German to play for the unified country and last year was player of the year in Germany.

"Alongside him, Blanc is a brilliant player. He breaks from the back tremendously well.

"He is like so many French players because he is comfortable on the ball all the time. He is a converted midfield man and I think that always shows in his play.

"Completing the three is Bogarde who is a magnificent player.

"He strolled through the games for the Dutch and played with great composure all the time.

"He hasn't been in the Holland side for long but anyone who has seen him in that tremendous Ajax side that has won everything knows how good he is.

"He lived up to all expectations at Euro 96."

After that impressive back line, the talent in the middle of the park is staggering.

Brown said: "We all know how good Laudrup is because we see him do it all the time in Scotland.

"But he scored goals in these European Championships and that was an added dimension.

"I wouldn't pin him down out on the right and he could have the kind of roving commission he has for Rangers.

"Costa is a marvellous player who completely ran the game when the Portuguese had a 1- 0 win against Turkey.

"He is respected so much at home that he has a youth tournament named after him. And no wonder because he averages something like a goal every three games for his country.

"McAllister is another who had a marvellous tournament.

"And no, I'm not forgetting about THAT penalty. His overall performances were outstanding and he was exactly the leader I knew he would be.

"He certainly wouldn't be out of place in this side.

"Prosinecki is in even though he was injured. He was outstanding during the action he had.

"He's an interesting character as well. He's one of only a few players who have played for both Barcelona and Real Madrid and he was wanted by both Croatia and Serbia.

"He's also a heavy smoker but so was Johan Cruyff and he wasn't a bad player either. And he's got a lion tattoo, so maybe he's a Scotland fan!

"Jarni is maybe a surprise choice to a lot of people but I was very impressed with him.

"He is the quickest guy in the Croatia team and gets in great crosses from the left. He also gets back quickly and can defend.

"Up front there was never any doubt Shearer would be in because he scored some outstanding goals and if there was ever any doubts about him at this level they were wiped out during Euro 96.

"England would have missed him very badly.

"You always know what you'll get with him but that's not the case with his frontline partner.

"Suker is unpredictable and temperamental - normal characteristics for a genius!

"He showed that at his best he's a quite remarkable talent and one flash from him can win a game.

"So that's the side and it would do me.

"But, importantly, if I got any injuries or suspensions I know I would have enough cover in the rest of this squad.

"I don't think bringing in any of the others would weaken the team at all."

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #86 PDG1978, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    I think the France Football XI based on average ratings seems to be something like this (minimum 3 games) though forwards like B.Laudrup, Stoichkov and even Klinsmann, Bierhoff could potentially make it depending on their totals:

Seaman; Sammer; Babbel, Desailly, Helmer; Deschamps, Eilts; Letchkov, Hagi, McManaman; Shearer

If it was minimum 4 games it could be this instead:

Seaman; Sammer; Desailly, Helmer; Reuter, Deschamps, Eilts, Ziege; Poborsky, McManaman; Shearer
    (somehow an all-star team slightly on the defensive side!).

EDIT - Just beating time limit! Babbel in for Hornak I realise now is feasible on average rating so I've gone with that (he played one less game and like Helmer was CB in effect on the opposite side, with Sammer sweeping).

PuckVanHeel and comme repped this.
  12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    The biggest mystery seems to be Hagi (with biggest discrepancies in ratings/opinions seemingly, wheras nobody actually said Letchkov played badly and no ratings of Zidane are great though he does average about the same as Lizarazu from FF....but while Karembeu with the same total from FF has about the same as Blanc nearer 4 than 3 out of 5).

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Suker matches Poborsky on average rating but seemed to fit less well in what needed to be the formation.

Nedved and Berger would have been slightly ahead of Asanovic (and others) if leaving out Deschamps and going more attacking in the XI (but then Nedved or Berger? I guess Nedved was more regular; perhaps both could be in instead of Poborsky or Suker but then the attack really seems light on players).

Helmer and Ziege have the same average rating, so arguably Ziege could be put in the 3 appearances minimum team too (neither moving to RB seems very reasonable if making a proper looking XI though; but I'm not 100% sure on Hornak's role/s either through the tournament).

Neville and Thuram matched Reuter for average rating I think but were less suited for wing-back (Neville played in a back 3 albeit mainly wide, rather than at right wing-back, when England played that formation vs Scotland too).

14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I just edited post 86 as realised Babbel can go in instead of Hornak anyway (I had realised he played less games but his average rating slipped my mind when I came to put the XI together, even if I then temporarily had his name listed instead of Reuter's in the 4 games minimum XI!).

Blanc would be in that first XI, but I'm considering Babbel at RB/RCB is more valid.

Desailly played one game in midfield but he was averaging above Blanc on 4 games anyway previously. Whether if putting Ziege at left back it makes another Desailly/Helmer dilemma is possible I suppose, but I felt Helmer at left back seemed ok (he was more a defender while Ziege was always at wing-back).

15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Very nice info this.

Has The Times archive maybe OPTA data about euro 1996? Albeit incomplete?

Most I've seen is about the euros as a whole. Few examples:

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Very flattering descriptions of 'Holland' by the Daily Mail I see :laugh: Made me remember this, LOL.

Thanks for your good work too. Yes, I have about the same impression as you have, that Suker was perhaps on 'pole position' for becoming player of the tournament until his team lost (and he missed two headers).

Anyway, I've ordered now the quarter final issue too (was 2.5 euro on Ebay) and if I receive it you'll see it appearing which will answer your questions in post #86, how close Klinsmann, Stoichkov were.

17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, I don't know the origin of those phrases to be honest! But the Daily Mail isn't known for tact towards foreigners in general. Maybe the disguised compliments were to the free-flowing predecessors and saying Gascoigne was matching the Dutch for skills in midfield (while playing very well). The report you previously showed was more complimentary to the performance vs Scotland or Switzerland (I forget which it was now somehow as we've discussed both) than is suggested there though certainly (but I think you said the Dutch media wasn't so complimentary as the Irish Times either).

Yes, his average (Suker) wasn't right at the top but with potential to get close to it (and the star moments and overall highly regarded best performances in his pocket). It would depend how he did in the semi-final onwards though still of course as an average display could even make his tournament seem less rather than more impressive (despite the misses, the general display and coolness and inventiveness taking his goal would probably have meant a good impression was left for the Germany game had Croatia won though, but yes maybe he had the best chances to make that happen himself even it seems).

I also think the OPTA data would be good to see, and interesting to compare to World Cup data. We can do that with the FF ratings of course though (especially the 1994 and 1998 ones) thanks to you and yes it'll add some more insight if you can find more on the ratings of more players, and we'll know if the best XI (for 3 games minimum)would change a bit to incorporate an attacker or two more (an average of 4 out of 5 would match Deschamps, while McManaman and Shearer are both on 3.8 - 12 points, 1 less than listed, would be exactly 4 out of 5 per game on average for a player playing 3 rated games which B.Laudrup, Stoichkov and Klinsmann all did I think).

18. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Finally found it again...
    ...Numéro Souvenir ONZE MONDIAL spécial Euro 96, "Une Allemagne en or", issue n°90, July 1996.

All the knockout games are recounted + the film of the match with each action at x minute. + al the matches of France of course and also England vs Scotland. It is a bit more summarized for the other matches of group.

THE STAR of the EURO : SAMMER (surprisingly).

Revelations : Poborsky, Kishishev, Vlaovic and Thuram (with profiles/ text naurally).

LE "ONZE" de ONZE :

________________KÖPKE_________________
    _______________SAMMER_________________
    ______LATAL_____BLANC________ZIEGE_____
    ______________DESCHAMPS________________
    __McMANAMAN_____________MÖLLER_______
    ____SHEARER____SUKER____STOITCHKOV_____

With profiles/ text included once again but more condensate.

Of course, Sammer was surrounded by two CB's in reality (+ Eilts instead of Deschamps like here). I think that Onze Mondial was really in owe to Stoichkov. Möller was suspended for the Final ofc like Deschamps for the semis. Latal was sent-off against Portugal and missed the semis and the Final (he was a RB into this tourney while usually a MF in club).

Ah, and apparently, Italy won the Euro of the handsome boys. According to The Star. With 2 of its players in the top 5, one at the first rank the other 5th and here's the whole ranking : 1. Paolo Maldini (who was dad in the afternoon of the match with the Czechs), 2. Jamie Redknapp, 3. Patrick Kluivert, 4. Ally McCoist and 5. Alessandro Del Piero. "A matter of taste" Onze says. Yeah.

comme and PDG1978 repped this.
  19. DFTB24

DFTB24 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Anyway, will post it all soon.

PDG1978 repped this.
  20. DFTB24

DFTB24 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Eng-Sui
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/eng1swi1.htm
    Ned-Sco
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...mpiuta-olanda-serve-il-leader.html?ref=search
    Ned-Sui
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/ned2swi0.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...96/06/14/sempre-un-cruyff-per.html?ref=search
    Eng-Sco
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...ascoigne-il-genio-del-cattivo.html?ref=search
    Sco-Sui
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...6/06/19/scozia-un-sogno-breve.html?ref=search
    Eng-Ned
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...da-umiliata-kluivert-la-salva.html?ref=search
    Esp-Bul
    http://www.oocities.org/colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/spa1bul1.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...le-stoichkov-accuse-ceccarini.html?ref=search
    Fra-Rom
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/fra1rom0.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...velocita-la-romania-si-spegne.html?ref=search
    Bul-Rom
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/bul1rom0.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...stoichkov-poi-il-gol-fantasma.html?ref=search
    Fra-Esp
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/fra1spa1.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...francia-la-superbia-non-rende.html?ref=search
    Fra-Bul
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/fra3bul1.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...-casa-stoichkov-il-maleducato.html?ref=search
    Esp-Rom
    www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/spa2rom1.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...agna-felice-minuti-dalla-fine.html?ref=search
    Ger-Cze
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/ger2cze0.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...rmania-diverte-ma-cosi-troppo.html?ref=search
    Ita-Rus
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/ita2rus1.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...almente-italia-bella-partenza.html?ref=search
    Cze-Ita
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/cze2ita1.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...6/15/sacchi-te-la-sei-cercata.html?ref=search
    Ger-Rus
    www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/ger3rus0.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...ca/1996/06/17/incubo-germania.html?ref=search
    Cze-Rus
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/cze3rus3.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...ica-ceca-festa-con-batticuore.html?ref=search
    Ita-Ger
    www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/ger0ita0.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...etto-rigore-italia-torna-casa.html?ref=search
    Den-Por
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/por1den1.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...on-basta-il-genio-dei-laudrup.html?ref=search
    Cro-Tur
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/cro1tur0.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...ga-dall-incubo-con-il-volo-di.html?ref=search
    Por-Tur
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/por1tur0.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb.../06/15/la-riscoperta-di-couto.html?ref=search
    Cro-Den
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...a-croazia-ritrova-suker-festa.html?ref=search
    Por-Cro
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...a-mascherata-il-portogallo-va.html?ref=search
    Den-Tur
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...96/06/20/danimarca-bel-saluto.html?ref=search
    Eng-Esp
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/eng0spa0.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...i-rigori-inghilterra-promessa.html?ref=search
    Fra-Ned
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/fra0ned0.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb.../23/olanda-finisce-in-lacrime.html?ref=search
    Ger-Cro
    http://www.oocities.org/colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/ger2cro1.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...cia-all-uomo-passano-tedeschi.html?ref=search
    Cze-Por
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/cze1por0.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...on-poborski-si-va-piu-lontano.html?ref=search
    Cze-Fra
    http://www.oocities.org/Colosseum/5948/Soccer/EC/1996/cze0fra0.htm
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb.../06/27/nedved-scuola-italiana.html?ref=search
    Eng-Ger
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...thgate-sbaglia-decide-moeller.html?ref=search
    Ger-Cze
    http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubb...erhoff-uomo-della-provvidenza.html?ref=search

Pavlin Arnaudov, comme and PDG1978 repped this.
  21. DFTB24

DFTB24 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Maybe I would add Steve McManaman & Edwin van der Sar against Switzerland and Andreas Moller in England game.

22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I have the FF ratings for after the group stage now (and after quarter finals). Very minimal differences there. Indeed, you have to play a minimum of minutes to get a rating (or that it gets included in the table).

After group stage Sammer led the way with 14 stars, but with Seaman, Ziege, Eilts, Hagi (!), Deschamps, Letchkov at 13.

Nemec, Maldini, Albertini, Shearer, Stoichkov, Ivanov, Balakov, Desailly, Helmer, McManaman, Asanovic, Bergkamp, Witschge, Couto and Popescu at 12.

Someone like Poborsky was at 11. Overall small differences.

PDG1978 and comme repped this.
  23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'll look again at their 'ideal XI' for 3 games minimum then as Stoichkov, Popescu and Ivanov could be in I think.

Brian Laudrup had less than an average of 4 after the group stage then, and with Stoichkov having exactly that he's out of the running for the France Football XI. He seemed to be scoring well with La Repubblica though when I checked through the pages before.

24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Brian Laudrup was at 11 stars.

PDG1978 repped this.
  25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, Stoichkov edges him according to FF and it's the other way round according to La Repubblica then.