The best players of Euro 96

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Nov 29, 2016.

1. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    As ever, thoughts much appreciated on the best players of Euro 96:

Goalkeepers

Andreas Kopke

David Seaman

Andoni Zubizarreta

Full-backs

Paolo Maldini

Gary Neville

Stuart Pearce

Christian Ziege

Centre-backs

Matthias Sammer

Marcel Desailly

Laurent Blanc

Tony Adams

Miroslav Kadlec

Central Midfielders

Dieter Eilts

Didier Deschamps

Paul Ince

Christian Karembeu

Radek Bejbl

Fernando Hierro

Attacking Midfielders

Paul Gascoigne

Rui Costa

Wingers

Karel Poborsky

Steve McManaman

Darren Anderton

Forwards

Youri Djorkaeff

Brian Laudrup

Teddy Sheringham

Strikers

Alan Shearer

Davor Suker

Hristo Stoichkov

Jurgen Klinsmann

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Another tricky one for me this as very few, if any, sides played consistently well in this tournament.

Both Germany and the Czech Republic had very unsettled sides due to injuries and suspensions while France arguably didn't play really well in a single match, despite making the semi-finals.

Of the team of the tournament I left out Latal, who was out for the latter stages, and Kuka, who was pretty crap as a striker. Klinsmann wasn't great either but he did at least score three goals.

Who have I left out that should have made it?

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Not sure whether you'll have seen the posts for sure comme, so just quoting myself from another thread (you might find the Teams of the Week interesting that I found from the Independent, though I didn't find many I think):

Just looking at the squads to refresh my memory I'd say maybe these could be in consideration (maybe - but probably not for among the very top ratings for most or all of them anyway and perhaps strangely my ideas and memories might have even been a bit better for WC94 overall):
    Redknapp, Bergkamp, Dimas, Boban, Jarni, Asanovic, Letchkov, Nedved, Lizarazu, Joao Pinto.
    (just ideas and hazy memory or mixed up recollections could play a part for some without trying to research anything before posting).

comme repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This is one of those tournaments where Netherlands was undone by themselves rather than anything else (British and Welsh referees ;) ). A missed chance. It wasn't a good draw to be in a group with England and Scotland. Of the players there Bergkamp was the least worst I agree. He had a goal against Switzerland and a very important assist against hosts England (nicely crafted). He played good against Switzerland while the team imploded in factions during the match.

It wasn't a particularly well organized tournament. It was one of the very rare occassions where a team was allowed to replace injured and suspended players mid tournament (with the suspensions cited as reason!) - very unfair and a joke.

Maybe Asanovic (Croatia) is one to look at. He had two or three assists (Poborsky was the top assister with three or four and indeed als a couple of MOTM awards).

comme repped this.
  5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, agree with what you say in the main I think Puck.

I came back to say probably Figo (not at his best/fittest but still worth * at least probably IIRC/IMO) and perhaps Helmer could be added to my list of possibilities.

For the top players I would think Poborsky could be in the mix, and I'd be thinking of Suker, Gascoigne, Sammer and Rui Costa too.

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    My list wasn't in order btw, and Redknapp might be a stretch with so little time (albeit with a key contribution in a short-ish tournament). He could top average ratings but be ineligible for them or something I would imagine; that sort of scenario (don't believe I've seen any on Football Ratings BlogSpot or wherever though).

This page confirms why I named him anyway I suppose:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-scotland-96-player-ratings-4632960

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Ah I found this back on the external HD.

Mundo Deportivo mentioned the earlier mentioned players + Secretario (right back Portugal).

ABC.es highlighted here some players per team, written by JM Cuellar. With some surprising choices, compared to the official UEFA team.

http://hemeroteca.abc.es/nav/Navigate.exe/hemeroteca/madrid/abc/1996/07/01/076.html

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nice find. Have to log off now, but not sure if very easy to view - perhaps you could list the mentioned names (I see they run-down each nation and mention a couple or so)?

9. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #9 PuckVanHeel, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    In some occassions they mention the collective first and foremost, but this are the mentioned players (as I said, it might be surprising or deviating from the UEFA team)

England: Shearer, McManaman
    Switzerland: Pascolo, Sforza,
    Netherlands: Van der Sar, Ronald de Boer
    Scotland: McAllister
    Romania: Hagi
    Czech: Poborsky
    Italy: Maldini
    France: Djorkaeff, Deschamps, Guerin
    Turkey: Abdullah
    Russia: Tsymbalar
    Portugal: Rui Costa
    Bulgaria: Letchkov, Stoichkov, Mihailov, Ivanov
    Germany: Sammer, Eilts. Sammer is described as "best player of the tournament"
    Croatia: Suker
    Spain: Sergi, Zubizaretta, Kiko
    Denmark: Brian Laudrup

One thing to note is that there wasn't an official UEFA player of the tournament (as far as I know).
    http://hemeroteca.abc.es/nav/Navigate.exe/hemeroteca/sevilla/abc.sevilla/1996/06/30/069.html

In 2000 they decided that at the end of the year, but if I'm not mistaken in this case it was done retrospectively. There was a prominent journalist vote (like the 1976 to 1992 editions) and this one was actually won quite convincingly by Dieter Eilts somehow.

PDG1978 and comme repped this.
  10. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Porbosky also come to my mind. Maldini was like an amateur against him

11. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    One ebay I saw the France Football review for just 2 euros. I just bought it. I'll see what they think of this tournament...

comme repped this.
  12. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Bernard Lama had an excellent tournament. He should be added imho.

wm442433 repped this.
  13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Very good Stuff.

Of these Dimas, Asanovic, Jarni, Lechkov, Joao Pinto, Nedved were noted in some way or another by the European Football Yearbook to have played well.

Of others mentioned elsewhere in this thread Hagi, Secretario, Lama, Kiko and Sergi also got praise as did Fernando Couto.

14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks - of those at the bottom of your reply Hagi might surprise me the most but I guess I had expected a lot after WC94. Sergi perhaps not surprising even if I might have thought he too had played better in the WC from memory (or moreso memory of having thought that even!).

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Perú FC and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It seemed more that the other Romanians were considered crap rather than Hagi being great.

17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I wonder whether he was especially sluggish/sloppy in the first game but hard to recall - I had thought he seemed a different player though IIRC. But his assist in their last game is nice and he played a part in a wrongly disallowed goal vs Bulgaria I see (I didn't recall it). The UEFA page suggests he wasn't in great form vs Spain, but does praise the assist.
    http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=1996/matches/round=227/match=52505/postmatch/report/index.html
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/euro-96-romanians-denied-by-officialdom-1337034.html

Maybe Ronald de Boer and Vogel could be better calls than Bergkamp and Boban then.

18. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    After Lama by babaorum, in defence, I'll cite Thuram. A monster. For his first tournament. And he even progressed after that, after that he joined Italy...but his Euro 96 constitutes his first big performance, I believe (already a big one).

From memory, Kishishev was also cited amongst the big revelations of the tournament at the time but I don't remember his matches.

19. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Because I was interested too in Hagi (with the 1994WC in mind and the recent posts in the playmakers thread) I watched the highlights of Romania and I can see indeed him setting up plays, chances or distributing the ball well which then results in a chance created by others. Romania, like many other teams, played some way below what they showed in 1994 but it was good to see him playing in sub-optimal conditions.

As for Netherlands/Bergkamp; he wasn't good against Scotland and received public criticism from the manager (he created three clear chances I think). He played with tendinitis too. One article says that he has "built more credit in England than in his own country" (another newspaper also mentioned his form in the final 3/4th of the club season). This was his worst game. One notable moment was that Scotland stopped a slow ball with their hands on the goalline but the referee did not see it. His best game was Switzerland I think and his most crucial England. There is a discussion of this match in Wilson's Anatomy of England book and his involvement is mentioned a few times in a positive sense. None of the Netherlands players were really at their best (except VdS maybe; there was also some questionable selection and choices at the wings position) but I can see why OPTA 'blips' his name in terms of through balls and (big) chances created at the euros (all tournaments together, I mean).

Both Hagi and DB10 their technique immediately stand out like a sore thumb imho. You watch a highlight for two minutes and you immediately see some proverbial magic dust somehow (maybe I'm a bit too nostalgic). Controlling balls effortlessly at full speed as vs Switzerland for example (an 'invisible' pass from behind their back).

PDG1978 repped this.
  20. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I' m probably a bit biased as I liked the guy but I have the feeling Bernard Lama is often a bit overshadown. He was pure class between 1992 and 1996. His best years were in no way inferior to Barthez's one.

21. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I' m probably a bit biased as I liked the guy but I have the feeling Bernard Lama is often a bit overshadown. He was pure class between 1992 and 1996. His best years were in no way inferior to Barthez's one.

22. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Do they seriously say that Maldini was "the greatest player in the tournament, by a mile"? Such firm statement is very surprising. As Ozora mentioned, he couldn't stop the Czechs. On two occasions he didn't stop a cross that resulted in a goal. Harsh too discount a player for that (and the general failing of Italy), but "by a mile" is the other opposite.

23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    It does say that but I assumed it was referring to Italy's best player, rather than overall.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  24. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Same here! And his Euro was impeccable.
    Yes that was tight between the two at the time. Now, maybe that Barthez had one extra thing but it's difficult to say what exactly (so...). Liked the two equally anyway.

25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything linking them together (I guess they are just online versions of what was printed in the newspaper at the time though) but it could be all or most of the games have a report by the Independent...

I searched this one for example and it did too - Croatia vs Denmark:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/euro-96-suker-sinks-denmark-1337465.html
    Generally positive about Asanovic I'd say for example, although no match grades handed out.

I had wondered about Asanovic with indeed the assists, plus I think IIRC pretty useful midfield play in general. About whether all in all it is enough, and with a feeling actually he was in patches perhaps more impressive for Derby in an expansive way than in Euro 96 (but conversely all in all he played more of a role and had more of an impact as an International player than as a Premier League player).

It could be Bejbl (who I sort of recall was getting some rave reviews....but could be mistaken on that one - the fact he got MOTM officially and from the rsssf contributor as shown in one of the links I posted made me think) and Hagi indeed then could come into my list of ideas/recommendations instead of Redknapp due to lack of game time ofc and Asanovic, but I might be minded to say Asanovic could make it - maybe him and Boban could do with some further inspection - it's even possible to watch/re-watch games ofc but not practical to do it in every case.

It can be a matter of opinion (although generally people will observe good/bad similarly I guess) in terms of how things are viewed - some people say that assist to Suker was especially good in terms of the pass while others including IIRC the commentator say he was slow to play it (it worked out ok in the end anyway though! The first touch by Suker definitely setting him up well but that doesn't mean it was a hard pass to at least take down decently even if slower/less slick which would still have put the team in a good position.