The best players of Euro 88

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    You can send me a private message and I try to help you with that information. Regarding Baresi, these are their ratings in each publication:
    Marca: 2.25 / 3
    Mundo Deportivo: 4 / 6
    Guerin Sportivo: 6.87 / 10
    Don Balón: 4 / 5

If someone has more ratings, I can add them to these without any problem.

2. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Including the Fussball Woche ratings and improving the ratings extrapolation to 10, this is a summary of the best footballers of the Euro 98. Please, if anyone has ratings from other publications, I could gladly add them to this study.
    Euro 88.jpg

Pavlin Arnaudov, comme and peterhrt repped this.
  3. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Two XI ideals published by Fussball Woche.
    FUWO euro 1988.jpg

Pavlin Arnaudov and comme repped this.
  4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    VI looked at this tournament and all other tournaments in which 'Holland' participated with a modern analytical lense. It will be released soon.

[​IMG]

"Now that no ball is rolling for the time being, VI PRO seizes the opportunity to look at old Orange final tournaments with new glasses. In this 148-page special, myths are unraveled and new truths are revealed about the Dutch national team.

When we first made a VI PRO special last year, we deliberately chose the "future of football" as the theme. Because we write a lot about developments in football at VI PRO, that seemed a perfect subject to us. Therefore, it may seem strange at first that this song is about the past. The association between a digital medium and tournaments from the distant past has not been naturally established.

Still it feels logical for us to come out with a big Orange number in which we cover all final tournaments since 1974. Particularly now that the ball is not rolling, our members regularly ask us to look at the past with the methods of today. This footballless period gives us a good excuse to do this. Rediscover the past by taking a fresh look at it.

We gratefully used the work of Opta Sports [and Ortec]. Our regular data supplier has collected figures from historical final tournaments, so that we can look at old events with new glasses. For example, we were surprised to see that the Dutch team is a negative outlier in terms of (tactical) fouls and cards, despite the positive football image that we like to measure as a football country. What are the set of explanations for this? That was just one of the many notable data we brought up thanks to Opta. That is why we couldn't resist putting together the best Dutch national team ever based on data.

Why is there no place in the best Dutch national team of all time for great servants and masters as Ruud Gullit, Marco van Basten and Willem van Hanegem? Why the infamous substitution of Arjen Robben at Euro 2004 was not so enormously awful after all? Why Memphis Depay rises above himself for Orange and in the Champions League? VI PRO, the quirky brother of Voetbal International, has an answer to all those Orange cases from the past in its latest special. And draws lessons for the present and the future in the 148-page book with Bert van Marwijk and the current Donny van de Beek, among many others."

This will be interesting and for example I wonder who they'll put as left back. Will it be Ruud Krol (a safe option, but only played part of his then-record caps career there), or Van Bronckhorst who played very well in the 2000, 2010 semi finals, plus some marquee games like Italy 2008?

On the website they have already placed a preview for 1988.
    https://www.vi.nl/pro/analyse/wat-nog-niet-iedereen-weet-van-het-gouden-oranje-van-1988

In brief the following players get a highlight (plus some comments):

- Michels making obvious mistakes against England. Luckily his players bailed him out.

- Bonner, Dasaev and Van Breukelen were the three stand-out keepers this tournament. How to place them in order.... Bonner had the highest save percentage of anyone (81%).

- Van Aerle shouldn't be mocked at as much. His passing reliability and accuracy was not worse than Kuznetsov and Baresi. While he was no star, you can't say he was a weak link.

- Van Basten was phenomenal, against seriously strong opposition, but this time also lucky overall. That is not to take away he won "deservedly" the Ballon d'Or - and with his general play flipped the balance around - but 5 out 7 targeted attempts resulting in a goal (not counting his 'unlucky' cancelled goal and individual move against Ireland) is fortunate, and a few of the coin flips were falling to his way this time. Also noticeable (for many) are the many (largely unpunished) kicks he received against his hurt ankle.

- Vanenburg: "[...] Whatever the reason - the high pitched voice that made him unsuitable for leadership per Johan Cruijff, his self-confidence bordering on narcissism, his inadequate physicality? - the king of the Utrecht squares and later national youth football, was overtaken by his peers on all sides in fame. Not that he did not have a good career - for example, he became champion of the Netherlands eight times - but after Ajax and PSV he would never make the switch to absolute top fame. And that beautiful summer of 1988 he barely caught light. Unjustified, as many data and modern eyes now 'prove'. Vanenburg was not only important to that Orange, because he resigned himself to a serving role, and thanks to his significant and serviceable work ethic. No, he was also essential in creating opportunities. After Glenn Hoddle (3.7), England's best footballer of the 1980s, he did the best of all players at that tournament. With 2.8 opportunities created per game (90 minutes), he also just stayed ahead of Marco van Basten (2.6), followed by the enchanting Dane Michael Laudrup, the Spaniard Míchel, the Italian Roberto Donadoni, the Russian Igor Belanov and the West German Lothar Matthäus. In this European Championship was Gerald Vanenburg also international top."

-
    Rijkaard:
    So the Russians had that Iron Curtain against which strikers were shattered. The Netherlands had built a wall around the goal of Hans van Breukelen that was even more difficult to break.

Deep down in his heart Frank Rijkaard preferred to be a midfielder without worries, and therefore without too many assignments. Free in his head, free to follow his instinct that had already taken him quite far. It was also the reason that he suddenly quit at Ajax, tired of "that eternal nagging" from trainer Johan Cruijff. But before the 1988 European Championship, Rinus Michels managed to convince him of a role in the defense. So that the Orange had not one (Ronald Koeman) but two international top players. Who could build up as the best and were as unyielding as sophisticated in defending.

It comes as no surprise the Opta figures show that Rijkaard excelled in West Germany in both disciplines. Apart from a knee that was protruded too far, over which Jürgen Klinsmann dived greedily, the Amsterdammer already received plenty of compliments about his game during the European Championship. Even more explicitly than Koeman, he regularly took the team by the hand or helped it over a dead point. By breaking off counter-attacks early, locking opponents, and once the ball was captured, played a leading role in the transition from defense to attack.

It is nice to see that the experts already saw his excellence well then. His dueling power is particularly impressive. Behind his upcoming teammate, the sweeping behind Franco Baresi (73.3 percent), Frank Rijkaard most often came out as the winner in a personal duel: in 67.9 percent of the cases.

(he is 3.5 months older than Neeskens)

1241738390221008901 is not a valid tweet id

1241750231076741121 is not a valid tweet id

wm442433, comme and PDG1978 repped this.
  5. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I had a look to see what has recently been posted on Football-Ratings Blogspot, and there are these average ratings for the Italian players in Euro 88 (I guess from a combination of sources, that might include Guerin Sportivo ones as posted by Vegan already, but I'm not sure and I haven't yet checked how much difference there is between them and the averages from Guerin Sportivo alone):
    Football Ratings: Italia agli Europei 1988 : media voto dei giocatori (football-ratings.blogspot.com)
    7,06 Franco Baresi
    6,77 Giuseppe Giannini
    6,62 Giuseppe Bergomi
    6,60 Gianluca Vialli
    6,58 Riccardo Ferri
    6,54 Roberto Donadoni
    6,46 Paolo Maldini
    6,42 Carlo Ancelotti
    6,36 Walter Zenga
    6,33 Fernando De Napoli
    6,08 Roberto Mancini
    6,00 Luigi De Agostini
    5,92 Alessandro Altobelli

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks to @Paul W here are the ratings from Match magazine of England
    [​IMG]
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/p...ivision-ratings.2037606/page-16#post-40182874

I calculated the average ratings, as shown in this table - as you can see some substitute appearances did receive ratings (including for players who came on in the 2nd half) although some didn't. Van Basten's average would actually be 8.5 without his single appearance as a substitute, so that would be the top one but as it is Gullit had the best average from this magazine. The grades are on the whole relatively generous compared to for example Guerin Sportivo (certainly the 'better' ones are anyway)
    Euro88Matchratings.png

So the Match magazine XI, if requiring 3 rated appearances, would be as follows:
    Pat Bonner (Republic of Ireland); Giussepe Bergomi (Italy), Frank Rijkaard (Netherlands), Ronald Koeman (Netherlands), Chris Hughton (Republic of Ireland); Ray Houghton (Republic of Ireland), Lothar Matthaus (W.Germany), Olaf Thon (W.Germany); Ruud Gullit (Netherlands), Marco van Basten (Netherlands), Jurgen Klinsmann (W.Germany)

I used a 4-3-3 as it seems like Match often did that themselves (judging by First Division Teams of the Season), and it fits well in terms of the top rated players, although it wasn't the typical formation in that tournament.

Their second XI based on the ratings and 3 rated games required would look like this I think:
    Van Breukelen (Netherlands); Morris (Ireland), Kuznetsov (USSR), McCarthy or Moran (Ireland - both played in all 3 group games), Van Tiggelen (Netherlands); Vanenberg (Netherlands), Robson (England), Mikhailichenko (USSR); Litovchenko (USSR), Stapleton (Ireland), Galvin (Ireland)
    (if using a 4-3-3 template again and trying to fit the top rated remaining players in it).

Paul W, wm442433, Titanlux and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Including the ratings already calculated by Match and Dbscalcio (which does not include those of the USSR), the best rated players in Euro 88 were:
    1.- Rijkaard: 7,48
    2.- Van Basten: 7,23
    3.- Houghton: 7,10
    4.- Koeman: 7,09
    5.- Baresi: 7,06
    6.- Bonner: 7,02
    7.- Kuznetsov: 7,00
    8.- Gullit: 6,95
    9.- Dasaev: 6,93
    10.- Matthaus: 6,89
    11.- Mikhailitchenko: 6,82
    12.- Gianinni: 6.72
    13.- Klinsmann: 6.63
    14.- Litovchenko: 6,61
    15.- Zavarov: 6,60

A somewhat strange ideal XI proposal as perhaps there are players a bit out of place.
    Bonner; Brehme, Baresi, Koeman, Kuznetsov; Gullit, Rijkaard, Matthaus, Houghton; Van Basten, Klinsmann.

Paul W, Buyo, PDG1978 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nice work mate - I expected you would be keen to add in the grades from Match of course.

Do you mean DBS Calcio (I don't see any international tournament grades on there myself) or something else like Football-Ratings Blogspot maybe? I think one consideration for either of those sources or similar things, when merging grades together, is that they will already have merged several sources themselves (I would guess including Guerin Sportivo grades for example, which are already factored into your calculations previously).

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    As for making an XI from the top rated players considering all sources, I guess a wing back system with Brehme and Rats as wing backs could be feasible for this tournament? I'm not really sure whether Rats is going to have a higher average than Van Tiggelen now, although despite that Van Tiggelen played as a winger early in his career I know, for this tournament maybe he's less suited to being placed as a wing back (and I'm pretty sure the Netherlands did play a decent amount of minutes with an adjusted system that did have him in a back 3, with Van Aerle pusing on as a wing back down the right effectively, and Erwin Koeman like a left wing back, after switching with Muhren who was LM in the main formation...unless my memory deceives me but I'm going more on what I saw on ESPN Classic, Youtube etc than from what I remember from back in 1988).

That would allow 3 central defenders at least, although if going with where they played in the tournament then Rijkaard would have to be one of them I suppose (either Koeman or Baresi as sweeper I guess), and actually maybe Houghton being placed as a wing back himself would be more realistic than being placed as CM, so that might see Brehme out of the XI and Mikhailichenko into it, with such a system (if the order Titanlux posted doesn't change). I guess then Klinsmann, despite his high grades from Match, might not be in it, as Gullit and Van Basten would be the partnership up front (pretty much how it was in the tournament, although arguably Gullit roamed around in a supporting role I think more than a typical striker/support striker), and that leaves room for Giannini too I think doesn't it as the 3rd midfielder (unless Houghton does stay in that area, which maybe with 3 in the middle is more feasible than putting him as wing back on second thoughts - Vanenberg did move infield rather than to wing back for the Dutch of course and it might be realistic to expect similar for Houghton in such a system; maybe Gullit behind Van Basten and Klinsmann also works though for a 3-4-1-2 kind of system but Giannini was still above Klinsmann in the table Titanlux posted anyway....).

It can definitely be difficult to make these XIs realistic using the best rated players though! Like I said, the Match XI I suggested doesn't really reflect the systems of the teams of any of the midfielders/attackers, but it just fits well for including the best rated players and like I said it seems Match usually did pick 3 midfielders and 3 attackers in that era when they made their 'ideal XI' for the English league. I'm not even 100% sure 3 games would be enough to qualify for an XI or their list of best rated players (if they published either - maybe they only published the game ratings on one page that Paul found for this tournament), but in a short tournament I would guess it might be (it was 3 games for World Cup 1990 anyway).

10. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Sorry:(:(. Football-Ratings Blogspot:thumbsup:

PDG1978 repped this.
  11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  12. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Yes, for sure, they extrapolate the ratings differently. That's why I thought it was interesting to add it to the rest, as they don't really duplicate each other.

PDG1978 repped this.
  13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ah, ok, yeah so you already realised about it (I was just making sure you were aware that the same sources might be used).

Yeah, I guess when you add their interpretation to yours it gives a 'middle' way, so I can understand how that can work well as a guide yeah (in theory the Guerin Sportivo ratings are factored in twice, but only the 2nd time as a comparator to the MD ones, so it probably doesn't skew things too much and Guerin Sportivo is a respected source in terms of ratings I suppose anyway; like you said it's not easy to use the Football-ratings Blogspot ratings completely consistently....with nothing for USSR and maybe with more Italian sources added for the Italian players only?.....but still factoring in as much as possible, including using those ratings from Football-ratings Blogspot, is probably a good idea and you have done a very good and thorough job in adding as much as we can find and making a kind of 'consensus' for sure - also for other tournaments...as well as finding and showing some ratings yourself from Spanish sources).

14. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I had a look to see if La Stampa made a tournament XI, but instead found that they did ratings (maybe the first tournament they did it for). This is the page for the Netherlands-W.Germany semi-final for example
    [​IMG]
    I'd have to check more fully to be sure they did it for all games.

wm442433, Titanlux and comme repped this.
  15. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Euro 88 France Football ratings at the end of the 1st Round (FF #2202, 1988-06-21)

"Equipe type des étoiles après le 1er tour"

-------------------------------------Dassaev (14)--------------
    ---Tomas (10)----Kohler (11)----Baresi (11)----Maldini (10)
    ---Thon (12)-----Michel (12)---Matthäus (13)--Gordillo (12)
    ----------------------Laudrup (12)---Klinsmann (11)---------

They could feature equally on this team : Rijkaard, Khidiatouline, Protassov, Heintze, Povlsen, Moran, Hughton, Sanchis.

14 : Dassaev.
    13 : Matthäus, Bonner.
    12 : Thon, Gordillo, Michel, Laudrup.
    11 : Kohler, Klinsmann, Baresi, Giannini, Donadoni, Sanchis, Povlsen, Moran, Whelan, Khidiatouline, Rats, Protassov, Rijkaard.
    10 : Immel, Littbarski, Völler, Ferri, De Napoli, Maldini, Ancelotti, Tomas, Butragueno, Bakero, Heintze, McCarthy, Houghton, Adams, Barnes, Kouznetsov, R. Koeman.
    9 : Brehme, Zenga, Bergomi, Mancini, Zubizaretta, Nielsen, Aldridge, Robson, Lineker, Mikailitchenko, Zavarov, Van Breukelen, Van Aerle, Vanenburg, Wouters, Muehren.
    8 : Vialli, Victor, M. Olsen, Hughton, McGrath, Galvin, Sansom, Stevens, Van Basten.

By team :
    1 : W. GER & USSR, 112.
    3 : SPA, 109. 4 : ITA, 108. 5 : EIR, 106. 6 : NED, 105. 7 : DEN, 102. 8 : ENG, 96.

Flash :

* Italy and West Germany have the best defense with 1 goal against.
    * West Germany and USSR have the best attack with 5 goals for.
    * No goals were scored from the pk spot. Only one was called and Michel missed it against Denmark.
    * Eleven goalkeepers participated in the first round as three nations (Denmark, England and USSR) did use their back-up GK to supplement Rasmussen, Shilton and Dassaev.

A quote from Gullit : "no need to play well, it's the Euro of the deceivers".

After the defeat to USSR, Gullit and Michels had a feud via the medias.

I may go back on Gullit, compiling what is said on him into this FF issue. He's the player who's the most talked about, across all of this mag pages.

But next, it will be about posting the details for each game of the 1st Round.

Buyo repped this.
  16. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Excuse me, it's only the 2 last games of the groups in this issue #2202 (not sure if FF meant Hughton or Houghton for their possible inclusion in the 11 btw).

Group 1

West Germany - Denmark 2-0 (Klinsmann 10', Thon 86')

Immel 3, Brehme 3, Kohler 4, Herget 2, Buchwald (Borowka 33', 3), Matthaus 4, Littbarski 3, Rolff 3, Thon 5, Klinsmann 4, Völler 3 (Mill 74'). 37

Schmeichel 3, Sivebaek 3, I. Nielsen 2, L. Olsen 3, Heintze 3, M. Olsen 3, Vilfort 3 (Bergreen 72'), Laudrup 4 (Eriksen 63'), Lerby 3, Elkjaer 2, Povlsen 4. 33

/

Italy - Spain 1-0 (Vialli 74')

Zenga 3, Bergomi 3, Ferri 3, Baresi 4, Maldini 3, De Napoli 3, Donadoni 3, Giannini 4, Ancelotti 3, Vialli 3 (De Agostini 90'), Mancini 3 (Altobelli 69'). 35

Zubizaretta 3, Tomas 3, Andrinua 2, Sanchis 4, Soler3, Victor 2, Michel 3 (Beguiristain 73'), Gallego 2 (M. Vasquez 67'), Gordillo 3, Bakero 3, Butragueno 3. 31

/

West Germany - Spain 2-0 (Völler 34', 54')

Immel 4, Borowka 3, Kohler 4, Herget 3, Brehme 3, Rolff 4, Littbarski 3 (Wuttke 65'), Matthaus 5, Thon 4, Völler 5, klinsmann 4 (Mill 87'). 42

Zubizaretta unprint, Tomas unprint, Sanchis 3, Andrinua 3, Camacho 3, M. Vasquez 4, Michel 3, Victor 2, Gordillo 4, Bakero 3, Butragueno 2 (Salinas 53'). 33

/

Italy - Denmark 2-0 (Altobelli 66', De Agostini 87')

Zenga 3, Bergomi 3, Ferri 4, Baresi 4, Maldini 4, Ancelotti 4, De Napoli 4, Giannini 4, Donadoni 3 (De Agsotini 84'), Mancini 3 (Altobelli 66'), Vialli 3. 39

Schmeichel 3, Kristensen 2, Nielsen 4, L. Olsen 3, Heintze 3, Jensen 3, M. Olsen 3 (Bergreen 67'), Frimann 2 (Vilfort 57'), Laudrup 4, Elkjaer 2, Povlsen 3. 32

/

GROUP 2

Holland - England : 3-1 (Van Basten 44', 72', 76', Robson 54')

Van Breukelen 3, Van Aerle 3, R. Koeman 3, Rijkaard 4, E. Koeman 3, Van Tiggelen 2, Wouters 3, Vanenburg 3 (Kieft 62'), Muhren 3, Gullit 4, Van Basten 5. 36

Shilton 3, Stevens 3, Adams 3, Wright 3, Sansom 3, Steven 2 (Waddle 69'), Robson 3, Hoddle 4, Barnes 3, Lineker 3, Beardsley 2 (Hateley 73'). 32

/

Eire - USSR 1-1 (Whelan 40', Protassov 74')

Bonner 3, Morris 3, McCarthy 3, Moran 3, Hughton 3, Whelan 5, Houghton 4, Sheedy 4, Galvin 3, Aldridge 4, Stapleton 3 (Cascarino 79'). 38

Dassaev 4 (Tchanov 67'), Soulakvelidze 2 (Gotsmanov 46', 3), Kouznetsov 3, Khidiatouline 4, Demianenko 3, Mikhailitchenko 4, Aleinikov 3, Zavarov 3, Rats 4, Belanov 4, Protassov 4. 38

/

USSR - England 3-1 (Aleinikov 3', Mikhailitchenko 28', Passulko73', Adams 16')

Dassaev 4, Bessonov 3, Khidiatouline 4, Kouznetsov 4, Rats 4, Litovchenko 3, Aleinikov 3, Mikhailitchenko 4, Zavarov 3 (Gotsmanov 85'), Belanov (Passulko 44', 3, Protassov 4. 39

Woods 2, Stevens 2, Adams 3, Watson 2, Sansom 3, Robson 3, Steven 3, McMahon 2 (Webb 54'), Hoddle 3, Barnes 3, Lineker 3 (Hately 69'). 29

/

Holland - Eire 1-0 (Kieft 81')

Van Breukelen 3, Van Tiggelen 2, Rijkaard 3, R. Koeman 4, Van Aerle 3, Wouters 3, E. Koeman 4 (Kieft 50'), Muhren 3 (Bosman 77'), , Vanenburg 3, Gullit 4, Van Basten 3. 35

Bonner 5, Morris 1 (Sheedy 46', 3), McCarthy 4, Moran 4, Hughton 2, McGrath 3, Whelan 3, Houghton 3, Stapleton 2 (Cascarino 82'), Aldridge 2, Galvin 2. 31

///

In all logic, Dasaev must have a 6 in his first game against The Nederlands.

17. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    forgot to type Gullit at 11, sorry.

Etoiles FF after the group stage :

14 : Dassaev.
    13 : Matthäus, Bonner.
    12 : Thon, Gordillo, Michel, Laudrup.
    11 : Kohler, Klinsmann, Baresi, Giannini, Donadoni, Sanchis, Povlsen, Moran, Whelan, Khidiatouline, Rats, Protassov, Rijkaard, Gullit.
    10 : Immel, Littbarski, Völler, Ferri, De Napoli, Maldini, Ancelotti, Tomas, Butragueno, Bakero, Heintze, McCarthy, Houghton, Adams, Barnes, Kouznetsov, R. Koeman.
    9 : Brehme, Zenga, Bergomi, Mancini, Zubizaretta, Nielsen, Aldridge, Robson, Lineker, Mikailitchenko, Zavarov, Van Breukelen, Van Aerle, Vanenburg, Wouters, Muehren.
    8 : Vialli, Victor, M. Olsen, Hughton, McGrath, Galvin, Sansom, Stevens, Van Basten

18. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    Post them by separate sources, if you have them, maybe in tabular form, if it's easier for you.
    or if you have them scanned from magazines for example!

19. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Yes, it is my intention to do those for all World Cup and European Championship years with as many ratings as possible. The thing is that I'm going chronologically and at this moment I'm going for 1977-78. In fact, I have new ratings for the 1978 World Cup that I have added to the spreadsheet and that in a week, maybe, I will be able to publish here.

Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  20. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    I made a new review of notes for Euro 88. At this moment, I have 9 sources with all the notes: Mundo Deportivo, Don Balón, Marca, As, Fussball Woche, Guerin Sportivo, Match, Gazzetta dello Sport and France Football. Unfortunately, the Voetball International ratings are incomplete. It is possible that La Stampa and other publications also put them. I don't know if any of you know anything about it.
    With 9 sources, the final averages I think are pretty significant. These players exceeded 6.5 points attending to the equivalencies I used for publications that scored on other than a decimal scale:
    Realicé una nueva revisión de notas para la Euro 88. En este momento, dispongo de 9 fuentes con la totalidad de las notas: Mundo Deportivo, Don Balón, Marca, As, Fussball Woche, Guerin Sportivo, Match, Gazzetta dello Sport y France Football. Lamentablemente, las calificaciones de Voetball International las tengo incompletas. Es posible que La Stampa y otras publicaciones también las pusieras. No sé si algunos de ustedes saben algo de ello.
    Con 9 fuentes, los promedios finales creo que son bastante significativos. Estos jugadores superaron los 6.5 puntos atendiendo a las equivalencias que empleé para las publicaciones que puntuaron con otra escala diferente a la decimal:

1.- Van Basten: 7.46
    2.- Rijkaard: 7,36
    3.- Bonner: 7.22
    4.- Baresi: 7,03
    5.- Koeman, Ronald: 6,97
    6.- Gullit: 6,96
    7.- Houghton: 6,91
    8.- Dassaev: 6.88
    9.- Matthaus: 6,88
    10.- Kuznetsov: 6,88
    11.- Mikhailechenko: 6,86
    12.- Giannini: 6,71
    13.- Klinsmann: 6,88
    14.- Van Breukelen: 6,61
    15.- Litovchenko: 6,59
    16.- Moran: 6.57
    17.- Zavarov: 6,56
    18.- Khidiatulline: 6,54
    19.- Wouters: 6,53
    20.- Donadoni: 6,51
    21.- Rats: 6,51
    Disappointing averages of, among others: Laudrup (5.89), Mancini (5.83), Barnes (5.74), Lineker (5.67) and Butragueno (5.61).
    Although he only played two games, McGrath was another of the best players in the tournament (6.64).
    Decepcionantes promedios de, entre otros: Laudrup (5,89), Mancini (5,83), Barnes (5,74), Lineker (5,67) y Butragueño (5,61).
    Aunque solo disputó dos partidos, McGrath fue otro de los mejores jugadores del torneo (6,64).

Pavlin Arnaudov, wm442433 and Buyo repped this.
  21. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    As a complement to the best of Euro 88, I have quantified the different XI,s of the tournament that I have seen (17), giving 5 points to those in the 1st, 4 to those in the 2nd and 3 in those in the 3rd. Over a maximum of 85 points and changing the percentages by stars, this would be the classification:
    Como complemento a los mejores de la Euro 88, he cuantificado los diferentes XI,s del torneo que he visto (17), dando 5 puntos a los que están en el 1º, 4 a los que están en el 2º y 3 en los que están en el 3º. Sobre un máximo de 85 puntos y cambiando los porcentajes por estrellas, esta sería la clasificación:
    5 *: Van Basten
    4*: Rijkaard and Mikhailichenko
    3*: Matthaus, Gullit, Baresi, Vialli, Houghton, Bergomi, Donadoni, Maldini and Ronald Koeman.
    2*: Protasov, Bonner, Dassaev and Kuznetsov .
    1*: Rats, Michel, Van Breukelen, Giannini, Zavarov, Brehme, Sanchis, Wouters and Ancelotti.

Pavlin Arnaudov, Buyo and wm442433 repped this.
  22. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    So you have all FF ratings for the K-O stages?

One observation : I'm surprised to see Klinsmann that high.
    Maybe there is a typo for his average rating (or his ranking should be even higher)?

23. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    According to the two criteria above, the best players of Euro 88 would have been these:
    1.- Van Basten (9 stars)
    2.- Rijkaard (8)
    3.- Baresi and Mikhailichenko (6)
    5.- Matthaus, Gullit, Ronald Koeman, Bonner and Houghton (5)
    10.- Donadoni, Dassaev and Kuznetsov (4)
    13.- Bergomi, Maldini and Vialli (3)
    16.- Van Breukelen, Wouters, Giannini, Protasov, Rats and Zavarov (2)
    22.- Brehme, Klinsmann, Míchel, Sanchís, Moran, Ancelotti, Khidiatuline and Litovchenko (1)

With these players, an A team and a B team could be formed.

Team A: Bonner; Bergomi, Baresi, Koeman, Maldini; Rijkaard; Matthaus, Gullit, Mikhailichenko; Van Basten, Protasov.

Team B: Dassaev; Brehme, Sanchís, Kuznetsov, Rats; Houghton, Donadoni, Zavarov, Giannini; Vialli, Klinsmann.

24. Titanlux

Titanlux Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Nov 27, 2017
    Yes, I have all the France Football ratings, fortunately. Regarding Klinsmann, you're right, I made a mistake by pressing a key. His average was not 6.88 but 6.68.

25. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Is there any 6-star ratings by chance?