The Best Players EVER...

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Green Tabasco, May 5, 2003.

1. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    This is the most common discussion of all time.

I know that different players played in different eras and BLAH BLAH BLAH.....so lets make this interesting.

Name the top three players of all time for each country and name the era they played in.

Argentina
    Brazil
    England
    France
    Germany
    Holland
    Italy
    Mexico
    Spain

I know I left out alot of countries (incuding all the African nations)
    But traditionally the countries mentioned are the POWER HOUSES. The countries that produce the best players. What do you think?

By the way.....I need someone to clear something up for me....Is Di Stefano Argentinian or Spanish? LOL and why does he have an Italian last name?
    Something to think about......

2. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Mexico? (no disrespect intended)....over Uruguay, Hungary, etc.

You might consider refining your criteria. The answers sought might be too lengthy for general discussion. Maybe...which country has produced three best players ever...... Just a thought.

It's your post though, good luck.

3. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    good point...It might be too lengthy a discussion...

Mexico? Absolutely....some great playes came out of mexico....Hugo Sanchez to name one....

4. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

Di Stefano was born in Argentina. He left to play for Millionarios in Colombia, then crossed the Atlantic to play for Madrid. He was capped by Argentina and later on, Spain.

Real Madrid has not forgotten what he did for the club and he continues to be a major representative of the club. I believe his primary residence has been Spain ever since he first played for Barcelona.

Many Argentines are of Italian blood. They can often get Italian passports to play in Europe. As another example, the Xenxese(sp?) on the bottom of Boca Jr. shirts is a phonetic (sort of) spelling of Genoese.

5. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Thanks lawmill I was not aware of his origins. this clears up my confusion.

6. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    name another

sorry but uruguay is the 3rd biggest producer of players in the americas just look at how many players they have in europe and around the americas

7. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Okay, fine, I'll bite. Discounting non-Spanish born players that played for Spain (di Stefano, Puskas, Kubala, etc) and currently active players (I don't really think Raul should be considered in an all-time list until his career finishes), Spain's three best ever players, as far as I'm concerned, are:

Ricardo Zamora (1930's-1940's)
    Francisco Gento (1940's-1960's)
    Luis Suarez (1950's-70's)

8. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    H Sanchez, Campos, Garcia Aspe etc.

Your right though, Uruguay has had some fine players over the years....The big one now is RECOBA I think. Paraguay has also had some good players....Chilavert and that kid Roque Santa Cruz (sp) (he plays in germany) is a bonified STAR. He showed his class in the WC. Someone from the BIG Three leagues should pick him up, He would do very well there. Particularily in the defense style of play that comes from Italy. He would do well in Spain, But maybe not so well in England.

But I digress, we are getting away from the real discussion.....

9. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Re: Re: The Best Players EVER...

Good point...thanks for the info

10. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Argentina- Maradona,Kempes,Batigol

Brazil- Too many to name Really the majority of the 1970 WC team couls be on the list as well as the 82 team and Carlos Ronaldo and Rivaldo could make a good case when they quit national team football as well.

England- Moore,Liniker,Shearer, Gazza maybe if he had less demons

France- Platini, Zidane, maybe Fontiane from the 50's he scored 13 in one World Cup, mind you I never saw him play but that is quite a feat.

Germany- Another tough choice I have to go with Klinsmann, Beckenbauer , and Muller.

Holland- Cruyff(Johan not Jordi :)), Van Basten, Gullit or Bergkamp that one is a toss up.

Italy-Rossi, R. Baggio, Maldini.

Mexico- the names I would have picked have all ready been listed, but I wouldn't consider them a ture World Powerhouse unless it is for pure dirty play and piss poor displays of disicpline( although the Cobi Jones mugging this summer was great if there is one player I wouldn't mind seeing get lashed out at its that bum)

Spain- Raul (top goalscorer in their history), Michelle(sp), I can't think anymore too tired.

11. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Snifff...Snifff just pissed that the US doesn't have a name on the list and won't have one for years to come.

12. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

No you missed the players who handed all the lowly CONCACRAP nations their asses on a regular basis

for example
    Luis Roberto Alves Zague
    Luis Garcia
    Jorge Negrete
    Carlos Hermosillo
    Ricardo Pelaez
    Ramon Ramirez
    El Abuelo Cruz
    El Vasco Aguirre
    Quirarte
    Manuel Lapuente
    Herrera
    Garcia Aspe
    Jorge Campos
    Claudio Suarez
    Ignacio Ambris
    and YOUR TEAM'S all time greatest player (VOTED BY THE FANS) Hugo Sanchez
    :)

and the list goes on ...

13. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Re: Re: Re: The Best Players EVER...

I really could care less about the lack of US players on this list, none deserve to be there, but really the players there for Mexico other than Hugo S. are suspect at best to be on any all time great list anywhere in the World.

The fact the Mexico are dirty cheaters and for the most part total crap has nothing to due with the fact I live in the USA it has to do with the way they play and conduct themselves on the pitch. They foul to hurt players and try to get people sent off at any time for anything plus they have no concept of defense on any level other than "kick the guy that is better than me".

I have never played against a Mexican team or player without getting hacked at least one time where I thought the guy wanted to blow my knee out or break my leg, face it Mexico and 99.9% of their players blow monkey nuts .

I may be wrong on this one as well but didn't the US send Mexico packing this past summer and that was how many losses in a row against the USA,and again Mexico showed "total class" by attacking a player from the better team.

Regardless of how much fun it was to see someone do Cobi wrong and the look of horror on the faces of all the little kids that think hes good because he has "cool" hair, it was still a crappy move to pull at the World Cup but coming from a Mexican I wasn't shocked because they are lacking in the class dept. on just about every level.

14. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand

really ahead of
    rcarlos
    puskas
    distefano
    raul
    hierro
    zidane
    etc

15. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The Best Players EVER...

yes that is what R. Madrid players (past and present) voted. Remember, he is the Penta-Pipichi

16. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I have seen just about all of them play and the ones that you listed Aspe Campos and Hugo were the ones i said i would agree with, Zauge was ok too but he had Puskas and Veiri' sproblem all left foot but i think he bagged like 7 goals for Mexico in one game which is a World record if I remember right.

I am not aware of the poll that voted hugo Real's best player ever although he does have a case along with Puskas, Di Stefiano, and a few others.

I know he is held in very high regard in Madrid
    (and by myself as well), But I do know his "bike" that he scored was voted the best goal ever quite a few times it usually trades places with Maradona's 86 England goal on most polls, and is one of the most used pictures of a single moment in football ever.

17. Lawmill

Lawmill New Member

Jc18star:

This is straight-up racist. I've played against plenty of Mexicans and other Latin Americans; they don't hack any more than anyone else. Now, if I had a goal for every time a 6'3 Euro has barrelled into me...

Then again, if someone were throwing racist trash talk at me the whole game I wouldn't hesitate to injure them.

I don't cheer for Mexico, but I admire their accomplishments. They played some great soccer in the J/K group matches and have produced some fine players in the past.

18. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    Italy - Riva (1965-1975), Valentino Mazzola (40's), Piola (30's), Meazza (30's).

19. Re: Re: The Best Players EVER...

Surely for England Bobby Charlton, Greaves, Matthews, Finney, Robson would have to be above Shearer? Definitely Gascoigne in there though, he was a genius.

20. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003

Albion....I think u nailed it on the head....thats a pretty good list....Hard to argue with that one.....Cheers mate!

21. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Argentina: Maradona, Batigoal, Di Stefano.

Brazil: Pele

England: Matthew, Moore, Banks. I did not know about Keegan, Gazza, etc. Moore should be honored just for 1966.

France: Platini, Zidane, Fontiane. I have never seen Fontiane either. Papin or Cantona is up there.

Germany: Beckanbauer, Muller, Rummengge. i don7t know the pre-70's players.

Holland: Cruyff, Van Basten, Gullit.

Italy: I only knew the players from the 80's onward. I had a feeling their greatest came from the 1930's to 1950's.

Mexico: Hugo Sanchez....

Spain: Raul, then players I never heard from before the 70's.

22. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

You have a good point here, but I really can't comment on most of those players because I have never seen them play well other than Robson who I just plain forgot Hoddle was class as well.

I rate Sherear high because he when in his prime was one of the best strikers i ever saw and when he played Euro 96 he was just flat out great.

23. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hey moron, racism is by definition an negative opinion against a race/enithic group that is based around unfounded ideas and driven by hate. I was just stating that all the Mexican team I have ever played against were hackers and tried to take people legs out.

I didn't say I hated Mexico or it's people, I didn't say I refuse to play against Mexican teams because they are Mexicans, I didn't say I hacked Mexicans because they are Mexicans, anyone of those statements would be racist.

Stating that eveytime I have played a Mexican team I get chopped down more in a more ruthless manner than against any other teams no matter if they are Latin, European, or American. It has nothing to due with racsim it has to do with fact and truth from my time playing, the scars and lumps I have on legs prove my point fully.

Next time you want to go off on some race sensitive lecture make sure it's well founded and you know what your talking about.

Oh and by the way I don't make racist comments during the match I am usually one of the most quite players on the pitch I let my skills do the talking and keep my mouth shut, before you assume what type of person I am or how I conduct my myself while playing or in my personal life make sure you know me first a$$hole.

24. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    Good Point.....way to go! Futball has no room for racist morons. But since we are on the subject....When I played, everytime i played with northern and eastern europeans.....they hacked the ************ out of me.....Ive still got some scars....But I dont blame their style of play....its just the way they do it there....

25. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Passing over the whole Mexican issue (not too hard from 1000s of miles away) and getting back to the discussion.

England: Matthews, Moore, Charlton. Lineker, greaves, banks come close but these 3 are true legends.

Argentina: Maradona, Di Stefano, Ardiles.

Brazil: Pele: Zico, Garrincha.

Germany: Beckenbauer, Mattheus, Muller.

France: Kopa, Platini, Desailly. Couldn't bring myself to pick Zidane.

Italy: Facchetti, Baresi, Maldini. Defending is what Italy do well, even though Baggio is a god.