The Best player 2017-18

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by victorcalello38, Jan 24, 2018.

1. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I remember he was really good against PsG at home but I Thought this was mostly focusing on the knockout rounds. I also watched the Sevilla and Bersikas games and to me he was average there by his standards and was not a starter in all. Lewa, Muller and Coman were the better players against Bersikas IMO

2. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    You obviously didnt watch Barca this season. It's close, wouldnt mind any of them in first XI.

3. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    You obviously missed Marcelo’s performanc in this CL if you think Alba played better than him.. or perhaps you live in an alternate world, the same one where the person who wrote that list lives.

4. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    yeah because scoring couple of goals and having few assists in few games make your season the best... ucl is not only competition out there, you know.

I personally might even go for Marcelo over Alba, but your sarcastic smile tells me everything i need to know about your time spent watching Alba. It's pretty damn close between the two this season, and there is nothing biased in choosing either one of them

5. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Oh yes there is.. specially when your internet handle is xaviniesta..
    You would not find any objective pundit make such a silly rating over these two players.. and if he does he will most certainly get called out by his colleagues as I am doing here right now.
    Marcelo was not just good in CL..

6. Sexy Beast

Sexy Beast Member+

Dinamo Zagreb
    Croatia
    Aug 11, 2016
    Zagreb
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    yeah, you are the one to judge if someone is biased or not.. i swear every convo with you is such a waste.

The point is not that there are no biased people who chooses Alba over Marcelo, the point is that there are strong arguments for both sides this season so choosing either one is perfectly fine. That's undeniable and you would know that if youve seen both playing

7. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #82 leadleader, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
    That's true, albeit I think it's fair to say that this season the UCL was a lesser indicator of who were the best players in Europe, compared to most other years. I mean, Dzeko was actually better than Ronaldo in the UCL: the part of the UCL that actually matters, even more so considering that Real Madrid finished second in their group. Hazard and Messi were unlucky in the KO stage. Neymar was unlucky in the KO stage. James was also unlucky in the KO stage, with the referee denying several penalty kicks. So many of the best players were uniquely unlucky in the KO stage, and then Ronaldo -- whom I readily expected to shrewdly exploit such an unique UCL campaign -- was also not even the best player at his own club. At any rate: I consider the UCL an overrated measure for individual talent, but even by my standards, this year stands out as one of the most non-indicative years in terms of its value as a metric for individual ability.

8. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

It has always been a bit like that if I'm not mistaken? Ballon d'Ors and such heavily depended on tournaments, but who was perceived as the best European or world's best player a lot less. For that 'unofficial' moniker sustained solid/deep tournament runs - and of course having influence - were generally sufficient to maintain the status.

'Free passes' do happen, but Ronaldo doesn't get a free pass for his final performance.

See France Football, kicker and L'equipe

https://www.francefootball.fr/news/...a-ligue-des-champions-face-a-liverpool/904922

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...pielbericht_real-madrid_fc-liverpool-512.html

L'Equipe
    [​IMG]

comme repped this.
  9. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    This seems a game in which very few people agreed on who played well. Mane and Benzema consistently recognised and everyone else almost at random.

10. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #85 PuckVanHeel, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

Worth to point out the Champions League hasn't been Hazard his tournament so far. In 44 games he has scored 8 goals, four of them a penalty (per transfermarkt none of them drawn by himself). His open play goals came against Schalke, Maribor and Roma, and none of them against the last 16 teams or beyond. This CL season he looked good against Atletico Madrid and Roma.

Now, he isn't only about goals, hasn't a completely free role, and with/on the ball he is one of the most gifted Europeans of his generation (Cristiano named him his heir...). I agree with Michael Cox he is that strange player to actually look more impressive in the flesh than on telly. The contrast with his league contribution is however noticeable (maybe also in the league he can have 10+ non-PK goals or 10+ assists seasons more often). Anyway, PDG1978 rated him high (in his own time) because of his class with the ball and that Chelsea plays a lot better with him in the field (an observation I can understand/see).

Some other great players have compensated their cold relationship with the UCL by national team displays (or trophies), but that isn't necessarily realistic for Hazard. Think of Ronaldo Luis, Matthaus and so on (to the point that master revisionist Dearman rates Matthaus and other contemporaries as significantly superior to Van Basten, which is blatant revisionism but not unexpected from him).

At any rate, it must be said the Champions League hasn't been favorable to Hazard so far. He's still young enough to prevent he becomes another Ibrahimovic in this matter.

I think Robben has really been unlucky over the years, looking at what he did in quarter final stages, semi finals and beyond when he got the chance to play. His number of goals there stack up well, despite not being the primary scorer (5 goals in semi finals and finals is right up there in the top 5 since 1992). What could have been without the injuries, all the lost time to find rhythm again, and the missed games?

This was when he was 18-20:

Show Spoiler

One touch play example:
    https://youtu.be/KOIZvADAp1g?t=144

Good channel that! Also with him vs Arsenal in 2004

leadleader repped this.
  11. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Paolo Bandini’s review of the Serie A season:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....17-an-exhaustive-review-of-the-serie-a-season

His team of the year:

(3-5-2) Alisson; Milan Skriniar, Kalidou Koulibaly, Giorgio Chiellini; Douglas Costa, Luis Alberto, Miralem Pjanic, Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Lorenzo Insigne; Mauro Icardi, Ciro Immobile.

Subs: Mattia Perin, Aleksandar Kolarov, Alex Sandro, Davide Astori, Allan, Jordan Veretout, Josip Ilicic, Suso, Papu Gómez, Edin Dzeko, Paulo Dybala.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #87 PuckVanHeel, May 29, 2018
    Interesting is 'ThisisAnfield' (the biggest Liverpool fansite) having Robertson as #1. Seeing the description I can get how that got to be.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/...-ratings-ranking-the-reds-from-best-to-worst/

There is an argument possible he was the best left back of the league once he got in, although traditionally it's not a stacked position (add to this ManCity having injuries and other top teams searching for a left back, Chelsea struggling). Only Ben Davies had more assists than him in his position. Scotland might get their first (unquestionable) world class player in 20-25 years, at a position where it isn't expected and your 'best' player often doesn't surface.
    I think that even more so than other positions, the most acclaimed full-backs come traditionally from the 'superpowers' (the big leagues plus across the ocean Brazil and Argentina), and there are also logical explanations for this tendency - compared to other positions.

13. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    It's quite possible that they'll have two outstanding left backs. Kieran Tierney at Celtic is the best young player they've had for some time.

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #89 PuckVanHeel, May 29, 2018
    I was wondering a bit why Insigne is not in the OPTA team since I had him in my mind as maybe one for the top of the league (mentioned Pjanic, Dybala etc. on the first page), he has a high WhoScored rating (also others as SofaScore, FootballWhispers) and a high Gazzetta rating. I guess it is because he has an expected goals of around 20, yet scored only 8 (with 9 assists). He missed 16 clear cut chances, though he also created 22 for others in this at times spectacular possession dominant team.

As I said I didn't see Serie A that much, so maybe I watched the wrong games/sections of games. I saw him against Roma and Milan - and also against Feyenoord of course - where he was good, but looking at the Gazzetta ratings that were exactly the two right ones haha (graded 7.5 and a 8). His production against the top teams has room for improvement certainly, at club level at least (only one goal against Juventus so far in his career, as just one example; for the UCL it is a bit better). Was until one-and-a-half years ago also not trusted for the national team and so far the individual recognitions have eluded him (the Italian wiki page lists him with 0 individual honors). With Mertens in a slump, Milik injured, I had him in my mind as highlight for the runners-up, but share the feeling he can do better potentially. He can possibly make an extra step.

15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

This is that match:

Gazzetta ratings against the teams qualifying for European football (2nd best rated attacker behind Immobile, 0.12 distance):

Atalanta: 6.5 and 5
    Milan: 8 (1 goal) and 6.5
    Lazio: 6.5 and 7.5
    Inter: 6.5 and 5.5
    Roma: 7.5 (1 goal) and 7 (1 goal)
    Juventus: 5.5 and 6.5

Luis Alberto (best rated midfielder, 0.07 higher than #2 Ilicic):

Atalanta: 7 (1 goal) and 6
    Milan: 7.5 (1 goal) and 5.5
    Inter: 6.5 and N/A
    Roma: 0 (???) and 6.5
    Napoli: 6.5 and 5
    Juventus: 7.5 and 6.5

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Koulibaly makes the OPTA team of the season (I think) because of his passing volume, passing accuracy, long balls. SofaScore does list him with discipline and fouls as a negative and is not totally free from 'errors to goal' and 'errors leading to shots'.

For what's worth, ahead of the friendly against Slovakia Van Dijk (was team captain, but like other regulars he didn't play) said Skriniar was "one of the best defenders in Europe at the moment" because he's "good, sometimes even dangerous, with the ball and makes virtually no mistakes."

Skriniar won more possessions in the defensive third than anyone else in the league, he has also 0 errors leading to goals and 0 errors leading to shots (does have 1 own goal). That number places him in an exclusive and limited group, and he had things to do. Has also 4 goals in the league (no pens) and 0.1 through balls per game (which sounds low, but is for a defender quite high, compare this with Hummels or Pique for example). So I guess that's behind his OPTA inclusion, and he has made big strides over the last two years for sure (his first three Serie A matches weren't a success).

17. DFTB24

DFTB24 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    The Best Players of the Season 2017/2018

Italian Serie A 2017/2018
    1. Milan Skriniar 2. Lorenzo Insigne 3. Mauro Icardi 4. Sergej Milinkovic-Savic 5. Allan 6. Kalidou Koulibaly 7. Alisson 8. Dries Mertens 9. Miralem Pjanic 10. Bryan Cristante

German Bundesliga 2017/2018
    1. Robert Lewandowski 2. Daniel Caligiuri 3. Naldo 4. James Rodriguez 5. Joshua Kimmich 6. Naby Keita 7. Benjamin Pavard 8. Leon Bailey 9. Mats Hummels 10. Mark Uth

English Premier League 2017/2018
    1. Kevin De Bruyne 2. Mohamed Salah 3. Jamie Vardy 4. Christian Eriksen 5. David de Gea 6. N'Golo Kante 7. Harry Kane 8. Cesar Azpilicueta 9. David Silva 10. Leroy Sane

Spanish La Liga 2017/2018
    1. Lionel Messi 2. Geoffrey Kondogbia 3. Daniel Parejo 4. Sergio Busquets 5. Jose Luis Gaya 6. Saul Niguez 7. Djene Dakonam 8. Cristiano Ronaldo 9. Jan Oblak 10. Marc-Andre ter Stegen

UEFA Champions League 2017/2018
    1. Roberto Firmino 2. Cristiano Ronaldo 3. Mohamed Salah 4. Sadio Mane 5. Edin Dzeko 6. Marcelo 7. Dejan Lovren 8. Raphael Varane 9. James Milner 10. Joshua Kimmich

World Cup 2018
    1. Luka Modric 2. Eden Hazard 3. Antoine Griezmann 4. Kieran Trippier 5. Ivan Rakitic 6. Harry Maguire 7. Ivan Perisic 8. Paul Pogba 9. Thibaut Courtois 10. Kylian Mbappe

Overall

Luka Modric - PLAYER OF THE SEASON, the best player in the 2018 FIFA World Cup, the heart and the basic engine of Croatia golden generation team, in which he kept Croatia ticking over more than anything. He was the most complete player of the tournament in that sense got more involved with the play than anyone else contributed in attack as well as in defence track back and fills in as needed and progress things forward made that attacking difference from his penetrating runs to press high and try win the ball back, his vision, passing, shooting, creating chances and scoring, seemed to be everywhere on the pitch with a better thought processing. Moreover, with the leadership personality, showed a great deal of composure after he missed a penalty in extra time dying minutes in game against Denmark yet stepped up again to take another one a successful penalty kick that would win his team a shootout. He has lost the World Cup but he led Croatia to the final in one of the most historic year in football, 'almost' similar what Uruguay had done in 1930 & 1950, now is repeated with the Croats, as a football nation who does not recognize that strong logical relationship between the large population (a larger talent pool) and the sparkles displays into world championships they became the second smallest country in terms of population that had qualified for World Cup final. Generally quiet showing season In La Liga (had little meaningful impact) but masterful (again) at the Champions League playing key role to keep Real their crown once more, best player in Club World Cup, he was also brilliant in all important do-or-die games against Ukraine (Kiev) and Greece in World Cup qualifier.

Lionel Messi - Unique, miracles performance and full of energy all season. One of the two best players at the club level, once again a legendary season in a domestic league in another marker that would go down historically as one of the all-time great domestic season. LITERALLY nearly every game against teams in the top half of the table (both home and away) was an outstanding performance. As usual flashy & the most effective one, he had to do too much on his own, general dominance in La Liga, the rest players are miles behind him in the league (again) in respect to performance. Now, he is the all time top goal scorer & the top assists provider in La Liga history as well for most goals and assists in El Clasico history, and has surpassed Gerd Muller's record for the most league goals scored with a single club in Europe's top five leagues, the top scorer across all leagues in Europe last season. In his absence, Barcelona have finally failed in achieving a historic unbeaten La Liga season in a 20-team league with just two games away that sums up his importance to the team. He was the best player at the Copa del Rey as well. As for the Champions League, he had another excellent consistent campaign (save for Roma games), put a total footballing masterclass performance in a number of matches such as Juventus (the eventual quarterfinalist), Olympiacos and Chelsea the second leg in Knockout phase. Single-handedly sends Argentina to Russia. At the World Cup, he could not do anything of note to change any game (except vs Nigeria in which the team progressed past the group stage), although below his extraordinarily high standards but he often did well and was still Argentina's best player. However, in the tale of two parts, his team the presumed side to receive more criticism, they were pretty average, lacked organization, bad defending etc..., but Messi is also to bear a part of the blame for not showing the much willingness to join and deliver (in which not entirely critical about his play such as loose touches, misplacing passes or bad decisions etc it just he didnt gives it his all), he failed to shush his critics as 'Messi' or dare I say it as coach incapable of organising the team and Argentina simply cant cope without him.

Cristiano Ronaldo - Very slow start to the La Liga season and grabbed only a few goals but turned up the heat in the second brilliantly. Second half of the league season was a completely different story, he was extremely explosive in every single game against Sevilla, Valencia, Real Sociedad (a tremendous turning point at this match in particular, in a few days later an impressive night against a highly rated Paris Saint-Germain in top form at the Bernabeu, then finished the 2nd match off with his opening goal in Paris, the next in Turin?), also vs Real Betis, Alaves, Getafe, Eibar, Girona, Atletico, Barcelona and Villarreal, ended up adding yet again a great season (individually) at La Liga, also he has reached the 40 goals successfully with Real Madrid in all competitions for the eighth season in a row, his record was in the 2014-2015 season when he scored 61 goals. As usual strutted his best stuff in the Champions League, another chapter in his Champions League's incredible legacy, arguably the greatest player in competition history, he has finished the campaign top scorer with 15 goals, and became the first player to score 10 goals or more in seven consecutive seasons in competition, he is also the first player to reach 100 goals in one club shirt in the world's greatest club competition (Messi equalled his record later). Helped Real Madrid to win Spanish Super Cup & Club World Cup title. At the World Cup NT, he was by far Portugal's best player, excellent in the group stage. The game versus Spain, he personally made it as the most hotly contested match in group stage this particular match was heated because of him, it was Ronaldo vs Spain rather than Portugal vs Spain (average display by his teammates all but Guerreiro), and he helped the team to pass the group stage basically after his diving header establish a foothold in the next game and secure all three points in what was a pretty much one-sided match that saw dominated by Morocco completely, his goal breaks European record in international football surpasses legend Puskas. Ronaldo has surpassed many legends Eusebio in a few years ago as the greatest portuguese footballer ever, his Brazilian namesake after his insane consistency, and now his memorable Real Madrid glory years ended would leaves door open for debate on who's the greatest ever Real Madrid player vs Alfredo Di Stefano?

Antoine Griezmann - He used to be CLEARLY the one who make the difference for Atletico Madrid over the past few seasons but that's not the case last season which has appeared how much Atletico rely on Saul, Oblak and the Ghanaian Thomas Partey particularly who stood out above the rest and helped the team finished La Liga runners-up. Still a very good domestic season normal by his own standards. Not his usual self in the Champions League which caused the early elimination regardless his (only) brilliant performance against Roma in Madrid in what are almost already over. Nevertheless, save the best for last (Vanessa Williams's song), Griezmann stellar performance in the Europa League made its way into World Cup. Winning the Europa League followed by an excellent World Cup performance. He was the best player in world champions's valuable squad, a constant thorn, heavily involved from day one up to the final for a much stronger as the tournament went by. A very strong display and pretty much effective in the final stages of the tournament in particular (with many standout moments). Perhaps we have not seen the magic from him as was the case in Euro 2016 when he was more like a game-changer, but still a huge impact as a real team player working hard for the cause especially his ability to go in behind and drop deeper created chance after chance with his pace, vision, short quick passing, he was also great with his movement brilliant in linking the midfield to the attack, his contribution was indispensable in leading France to World Cup title.

Mohamed Salah - The best player at the club level, possibly the best club season campaign by any player since the breathtaking 2014-2015 season by Messi & Ronaldo. A legendary club season, he was incredibly productive for the whole season stood out above the rest and ran the show as the only player playing at such a high level so consistently at both domestically and in Europe (has done this with such style too), was inspirational in dragging Liverpool to the Champions League final and he broke the African record in the competition which previously held by Samuel Eto'o with 10 goals in a season (Sadio Mane equalled at the final). Unlike in the Champions League, he was by far Liverpool's best player in the Premier League, bringing an extra dimension and his overall statistics speak volumes (some of his goals/assists was top class as well). Notably breaks 38-game goal record in the Premier League era by scoring 32 goals. This is the stuff of legends as it brought both sides to the game, world class performance and raising the spirits of his teammates. He had a very well-rounded game both collectively and individually brilliance with some sensational goals, passes, crosses and dribbles, and he was also Liverpool’s most source of inspiration, in his presence, the whole team improves and plays better when it became clear especially at the latter stages of the Champions League. He had shiny years in Rome but this is extremely on a whole different level, it also seems more like a personal revenge in his return to England after just a short period on the playing field which he was mostly benched in Chelsea under the Portuguese manager Jose Mourinho. Although I respect PFA choice he could easily won it in most of any year truly remarkable domestic season in every aspect but he faced probably one of the toughest ever individual competition in a domestic league (vs KDB). Salah's domination saga continues at the international level, he single-handedly led his team to the World Cup being also top scorer in African qualifiers. However, for what it's worth he was a non-factor, and it is a big one the most important club match of the season the Champions League final (only played 30 min) was then forced off with the injury and he didn't recover during the World Cup either caused damage in finishing better that he had no control over, pretty much similar situation to Luis Suarez's the 2015-2016 season number one before Copa America/Euro started.

Kevin De Bruyne - A phenomenon domestic season and one of all time, his all-round brilliance was perhaps the best individual performance in the Premier League of this decade given his high-quality performance against top half teams (particularly) plus dominated on the pitch with Man City and stamp his authority on the game. Consistent quality displays he hardly had any below average/an off-day in a game all season and that's also really rare and incredible, an absolute joy to watch too. High tactical IQ and an elite creative genius with his passing and vision masterclass arguably the best in the game today, as well he showed another level during the Premier League returning especially after he never saw the field much at the time with Chelsea, and now with last two seasons he's the world's highest assist provider. The conductor of Manchester City orchestra and the main reason for a record-breaking campaign with his team ending the title race so early with a whopping point gap reached 100 points. A very good and solid World Cup performance, an integral part of Belgium's best generation that took bronze.

Eden Hazard - A terrific World Cup all the way through, one of the very best individual performance in any international tournament of the decade. At the World Cup, he was back to his brilliant best, almost didn’t put a foot wrong all games, a trademark of performance as he was influential throughout the entire tournament though it was cut short by Belgium's elimination at semifinal which is a bit like fails to do justice to his display. The most efficient if not eye-catching, showcasing his super technique and actually could beat a player with a dribble on that I think there is no exaggeration at all to describe he has an all-time elite level of dribbling skills, as he led the team in successful dribbles at football's finest stage. He remains tournament's most consistent player and played a crucial role in huge games, hold-up play helped Belgium see out the game against Japan, showed great strength in depth till the end as the match seemed to be slipping away inspired by Chadli-Fellaini (the best of the substitutions in the whole tournament) to come on to the pitch and change the game, afterwards man of the match against Brazil in what was arguably BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE SEASON given the calibre of opponent and it was in the latter stages of the tournament (World Cup), he appears to carry the team as he was key in opening up gaps between opposition lines and caused Brazil's defense troubles all night long. At the club level, an up-and-down performance in the Premier League (becoming accustomed to the following season), had a mixed domestic season but he did well for the most part, brilliant group stage performance in a very difficult group at continental level including the first leg match in Knockout phase against Barcelona, the best player at the FA Cup.

Ivan Rakitic - A big reason Croatia were in the final much like his Croatian comrades (Modric & Perisic especially). Great presence on the biggest stage, always alert and reliable he added energy of the midfield, providing Croatia’s most stable presence in the centre of the pitch. An active figure at the World Cup and has been of massive importance to his team's excellent run on the tournament. Had a decent club season overall.

Sergio Busquets - Probably the most underrated player from his generation a case out of sight. Model for consistency, a strong season obviously he and Messi deservedly to be singled out for praise in a Barca jersey last season, led Barcelona into a historic campaign in one of the longest unbeaten run in La Liga over decades, equals Messi importance to the team at the Champions League (steady performance) & the Copa del Rey (spectacular all the way).

Harry Kane - One of the icons of the Premier League in the second half of this decade, consistent and hugely-successful season after season but this one his best by a long distance as he had the chance to do it all occasions. As usual a great season domestically, one of the best at the continental club competition overall but the team stepped out early, he was clearly Tottenham's best player at the Champions League done well throughout the tournament consistently notably his sparkled display against the European champions Real Madrid. A good World Cup tournament overall, was also the top scorer in the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

1. Luka Modric (Real Madrid and Croatia)
    2. Lionel Messi (Barcelona and Argentina)
    3. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid and Portugal)
    4. Antoine Griezmann (Atletico Madrid and France)
    5. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool and Egypt)
    6. Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City and Belgium)
    7. Eden Hazard (Chelsea and Belgium)
    8. Ivan Rakitic (Barcelona and Croatia)
    9. Sergio Busquets (Barcelona and Spain)
    10. Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur and England)
    11. N'Golo Kante (Chelsea and France)
    12. Edinson Cavani (Paris Saint-Germain and Uruguay)
    13. Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain and France)
    14. Raphael Varane (Real Madrid and France)
    15. Christian Eriksen (Tottenham Hotspur and Denmark)
    16. Joshua Kimmich (Bayern Munich and Germany)
    17. Samuel Umtiti (Barcelona and France)
    18. Toni Kroos (Real Madrid and Germany)
    19. Diego Godin (Atletico Madrid and Uruguay)
    20. Luis Suarez (Barcelona and Uruguay)
    21. Marcelo (Real Madrid and Brazil)
    22. Andres Iniesta (Barcelona and Spain)
    23. Isco (Real Madrid and Spain)
    24. James Rodriguez (Bayern Munich and Colombia)
    25. Keylor Navas (Real Madrid and Costa Rica)
    26. Romelu Lukaku (Manchester United and Belgium)
    27. Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham Hotspur and Belgium)
    28. Mario Mandzukic (Juventus and Croatia)
    29. Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain and Brazil)
    30. Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea and Belgium)

Honorable Mention

the following best players;

Robert Lewandowski
    Gerard Pique
    Sadio Mane
    Dejan Lovren
    Sergio Ramos
    Jordi Alba
    Aleksandar Kolarov
    Philippe Coutinho
    Ever Banega
    Roberto Firmino

the best players who had a great season overall in two major competitions but never had chance playing the third one (domestic league, champions league, world cup);

Edin Dzeko (serie a, champions league)
    Radja Nainggolan (serie a, champions league)
    Harry Maguire (premier league, world cup)
    Ivan Perisic (serie a, world cup)
    Benjamin Pavard (bundesliga, world cup)
    Jordan Pickford (premier league, world cup)
    Miralem Pjanic (serie a, champions league)
    Giorgio Chiellini (serie a, champions league)
    Sven Ulreich (bundesliga, champions league)
    Marc-Andre ter Stegen (la liga, champions league)

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    How is Dejan Lovren included but not Virgil van Dijk?

19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Modric wasn't that great in the CL either. That is untrue. The Madrid midfield was rarely in control.

20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Uruguay is a subsidiary of Argentina, Croatia is the low cost brand of Germany. Sister companies of a larger holding.

21. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    #96 Tropeiro, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    1- Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City and Belgium)
    2-
    Mohamed Salah (Liverpool and Egypt)
    3-
    Luka Modric (Real Madrid and Croatia)
    4- Lionel Messi (Barcelona and Argentina)
    5-
    Eden Hazard (Chelsea and Belgium)

22. Tropeiro

Tropeiro Member+

Jun 1, 2018
    League / CL / WC
    De Bruyne 5 / 2 / 4 = 11
    Salah 5 / 4 / 1 = 10
    Modric 3 / 3 / 4 = 10
    Messi 5 / 3 / 2 = 10
    Hazard 3 / 2 / 5 = 10

23. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    Of the winners circle, I'll choose Griezmann over Modric. Both worked hard for their teams and enjoyed their fair share of luck. But Griezmann displayed better leadership qualities.

Of the quality circle, I'll choose Neymar over Messi. Not even Salah can touch Messi's 22 MOTM la Liga awards but Neymar wasn't to blame for his team's faulty tactics.

With great power comes great responsibility etc.

24. DFTB24

DFTB24 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    You do know van Dijk's strongest point of his play from last season was at Liverpool and you know very well when a player played half a season (even spectacularly) his chances weakens in overall ranking.

25. DFTB24

DFTB24 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Modric had a great season in the Champions League, those are the perfect words, saying one bit less than that would reducing his effort disastrously.

He's played in 11 CL games and his best games was against Tottenham (Home), Dortmund (Away) and Apoel (away), plus he's been excellent against Liverpool (the most important match, the final) involved all over the pitch straight from the 30th minute till finish, followed by good games vs Apoel (Home), Juventus (Away, quarter-final) and Bayern (Home, semi-final), decent vs PSG (Home) & Bayern (Away, semi-final), while against Tottenham (Away) & Juventus (Home) that may have been his lowest point.

Modric's rightful place is #4 in the Real Madrid squad behind only Ronaldo, Marcelo and Varane.
    #11 in the competition (overall) straight after Kimmich, so a great CL season.