The Best FIFA Football Awards (2017)

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Lechus7, Aug 17, 2017.

Tags:
?

Best player between 20 November 2016 and 6 August 2017?

Poll closed Sep 7, 2017.
  1. Lucy Bronze

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Deyna Castellanos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Pernille Harder

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  4. Samantha Kerr

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Carli Lloyd

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Dzsenifer Marozsan

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Lieke Martens

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  8. Vivianne Miedema

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Wendie Renard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Jodie Taylor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Less followed per capita, sure, but there's faaaaar more total people in Europe or in East Asia than in the USA.

Also, what Romario'sgurl said: USA voting is far less pro-Lloyd than you'd probably think.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I trust what you and Romario's girl say about US people non voting Lloyd by a landslide, but I still think that, if fan's vote tilted things in any way, it should have been pro-Lloyd. Fans vote is fundamentally different from players/coach/media votes: these ones are part of a panel, and their votes will be equally distributed per geographical area; fans vote is voluntary instead, so there's no guarantee that it will be geographically balanced.
    For instance: Asia can have as many people as you like (ok, a finite quantity actually) but, with no Asian player in the shortlist, what's their business in voting? I want to bet that very few of all of these potential Asian voters bothered to actually cast their vote. Also: yes, people in Europe are more than people in USA (I wouldn't say "faaaaar more" in this case: just a little more than double), but what gives? with 7 European players in the ballot out of 10, it's very likely that European fans vote is diluted among all of these players, instead of concentrated on one. And if you think that European fans could collectively agree to cast their vote on the player they honestly think was the best one of the season in their continent... well, it goes to show that you don't know much about Europe and the national rivalry between European countries... :x3:

JanBalk and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  3. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The Best finalists: FIFA Legends have their say

FTA:

Alex Scott
    On The Best FIFA Women’s Player final nominees

I’m not surprised Lieke Martens is on there, she had a fantastic UEFA Women’s EURO and what the Netherlands went on to achieve this summer was absolutely fantastic. Everybody knows what Carli Lloyd can do, she’s one of the names that you mention when you speak about women’s football. The surprising one for me is the youngster Deyna Castellanos. With the [Puskas-nominated] goal she scored and for the award to be voted for by players, captains, fans – she’s deservedly on there. In fact, when you look at the three nominees, they deserve to be on there.

LOL. Mamadas. I knew there was a reason that I've never cared for this chick...

:rolleyes:

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #29 blissett, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Also: don't underestimate the importance of the "less followed per capita" part. If women's football's difference in popularity is heavely skewed in different continents, the total population can end not mattering at all.

Let's make this fictional example: let's say there are 300.000.000 people in USA, and 10% of them follow women's football (it's fictional: I don't care if it's not true). This makes for 30.000.000 potential voters. Now, let's say there are 6.000.000.000 people in Europe + Asia (wildly overestimated, I'd say, but it doesn't matter either) and just 0.5% of them follow women's football: this would make for the same 30.000.000 potential voters.

Now: I am not so foolish to actually affirm that the difference in women's football popularity between New World and Old World is 10% to 0.5%. I am just noticing that if you factor in popularity and don't just count heads, it could happen that numbers are totally reversed. Yes, I willingly exaggerated, but not by so far, in my opinion: in the end, how many people could really care for women's football in China or India, that together make for more than half of Asian popolutation? Also: correct me if I am wrong, but I guess that, along with basketball, "soccer" is the sport that's more played by girls in USA (I don't think others, as softball, hockey, etc. can compete) and probably also the most popular for girls. Here in Europe, things are very different in many countries (for instance, I can tell you that in Italy, volleyball and basketball are way ahead of football as preferred choice for girls; in nordic countries handball is a strong rival; ans so on...).

Bottom line: sheer differences in population can become irrelevant, in a case where (for instance) 99% of these people are uninterested to women's football and wouldn't dream to vote for a Best Female Player award.

gricio61 and Thomsen repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Americans tend to very very multi sports, so it's not really a question on which one is the most popular. when one sport's season is over, we just move on over to the next sport in season. Checking, our ladies won gold medals in water polo, ice hockey & team gymnastics even though our men's squads generally suck at it. Probably a sport you might of never heard off, sport, Lacrosse, all of a sudden has become in vogue over/

But if I was going to give one sport(or to others, activity) that stands out far & above in America for girls in terms of popularity, social standings, cliques, envy, it's(give you a hint)

gricio61 repped this.
  6. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No complaints from me about either winner. Both Wiegman and Martens were the right choices.

lil_one, blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  8. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Carli was robbed! :mad::mad:

Gilmoy repped this.
  9. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  10. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gilmoy, blissett and Romario'sgurl repped this.
  11. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    At least Martens won... her competition should've been Harder and Kerr though not Lloyd and whatever her name is

Stokstaartje95 and blissett repped this.
  12. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    922550833870336000 is not a valid tweet id

blissett, Lechus7 and Thomsen repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Don't overlook Castellanos.

If the award is *supposed* to award based on pure talent showcase, then I see no issue recognizing a mostly-youth player who is miles ahead of her peers and could easily be a top-level professional at the moment. She's been the star of multiple youth competitions and MVP of USA's D2 league this year. The only reason she hasn't gone pro is because she's going for a degree in the States.

Also, that whole bru-ha-ha about Rapinoe criticizing the selection and ESPN publishing the interview? Rapinoe and ESPN are really coming off as incredibly ignorant here in saying she hasn't played top-level international football - Denya debuted for VEN's senior team at age 15 in the 2014 Copa America.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  14. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    #39 Romario'sgurl, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Shockingly well-reasoned...repped. I found it quite curious that Rapinoe fixed her lips to call Deyna out her name and criticize her selection but was mysteriously silent about Carli's nomination. :coffee:

Votes
    http://resources.fifa.com/mm/docume...2/91/68/58/faward_womenplayer2017_neutral.pdf

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  15. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Thanks for the data! Maro juuuussst misses out on the top three... Harder nearly there too. Close vote!

blissett repped this.
  17. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
  18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fan vote for Castellanos must have been massive, since she was 9th overall for the other 75% of the votes.

blissett repped this.
  19. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #44 Lechus7, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Heh, at least on FIFA main page someone reads comment section.
    The "Cristiano, Zidane crowned the Best in London" title on their main page was quickly changed after my comment (perhaps others as well) to "Christiano, Martens crowned the Best in London".
    My comment "Shouldn't the title on FIFA first page say rather Cristiano, Zidane, Martens and Wiegman crowned the Best in London? Poor, very poor FIFA." wasn't listed by moderator probably cuz the last part of it but well...smth is better than notting I guess :rolleyes:
    ehhhh...I wonder, would it hurt them to get an idea to put even one photo of women player/coach in the article? Could've ask again but don't wanna push me luck - what if they revert back to old title in spite :laugh::confused::(

blissett repped this.
  20. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    FIFA Puskás Award 2017:
    Olivier Giroud : 36.17 % of total votes
    Oscarine Masukule : 27.48 % of total votes
    Deyna Castellanos : 20.47 % of total votes

blissett repped this.
  21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Also being one of the ten nominees for GotY would probably contribute heavily to that.

blissett repped this.
  22. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's safe to safe the system is messed up. At least a reasonable winner did end at #1 even if practically every other spot is messed up.

blissett repped this.
  23. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Probably splitting hairs, but I think the *system* itself isn't all that messed up - the problem is the various steps involved get confounded by semi-external problems. Whoever creates the initial shortlist of 10 nominees needs to do better, and the majority of the voters don't have enough access to footage/etc. to make informed decisions. I think the process itself is fairly sound - it certainly doesn't seem to go all wonky for the men's awards at all. The problem is an informational one and not a processional one.

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Is it true what I seem to have read, that this year there will also be a "Ballon d'Or" with an only journalists' board, as the classic one from France Football was?

25. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela