The best Brazil? WC94 or WC2002?

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by MIGkiller, Jul 15, 2003.

1. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What was the best team and pleased you more? I'm only confronting the last 2 championships because it's unfair to compare them with the 3 previous ones since that was a whole other era in football.

I vote for the '2002 WC team, hands down. Everyone who knows me understands why, so no need to elaborate.

2. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tell you the truth, I didn't much care for the 1994 team. The only games I really enjoyed was Brazil-Holland and Brazil-Denmark. It was a typical CAP team. The 2002 team was far more talented anyways. Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, and Rivaldo really dazzled at the front. As for the 1994 team, an in-form Romario, Bebeto, and who else? Dunga, Mauro Silva, Zinho, and Mazinho? Please. Give me the 1998 team over the 1994 team. THe 2002 team was terrific.

3. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Exactly, but I guess you wanted to say Sweden instead of Denmark. We've only played Denmark in '98.

4. Jon Pall

Jon Pall Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington D.C/Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Right MigKiller,

But Brazil played Sweden twice, so I think it would be the first round game that was fun. The second one was a sleeper. Except for Romario's header of course.

5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the 2002 had more talent than 1994, but I think the 1994 was a better team. Also, Italy was a much better opponent than Germany in the final. Mentally, I don't think the 2002 team would have handled a close game against a worthy opponent as well as the 1994 team...

P.S. I attended the 1994 final. One of the best days of my life!

6. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Both matches against Sweden sucked, but it was also due to the swedish' own display of bunkerball, so defensive that would make Ireland and Italy mouth-watering with envy.

7. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Even though CAP likes to state that his tactics made Brazil win the '94 WC unthreatened, 2002 was the year when we won all the matches and in a convincingly way.

In '94 we barely beat Sweden and the USA, we let Holland draw the match after being 2-0 in the score during the 2nd half, with Branco's miracle free kick saving the day, and we had to win the final in PKs, where anything could happen. Is this winning a tournament without risks?

8. Cesinco

Cesinco New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Gol "cala boca"

9. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    58? 70?

Since I have seen more Copas, the best team was 1970, with Carlos Alberto, Jairzinho, Gérson, Tostão, Pelé etc.

The team in 58 was also great. Beautiful games. I've heard in Brazil that the best teams were with Zico in the 80's. I can't say much for those teams because I was already living in the land of the Pigskin. Anyway it was painful to see Brazil go down in PKs to France.

10. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taffarel, Jorginho (Cafu), Aldair, Marcio Santos, Branco, Mazinho, Mauro Silva, Dunga, Zinho (Viola), Bebeto, Romario

Marcos , Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Edmilson, Roberto Carlos, Gilberto Silva, Ronaldo (Denilson), Rivaldo, Ronaldinho (Juninho Paulista), Kleberson

11. Sao Taffarel

Sao Taffarel New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    I did a similar topic under the Xtratime forum if anyone is interested - I hope I am allowed to write this!!