The best 11 of Central America of all times?

Discussion in 'Central America' started by gethomas3, Aug 8, 2007.

1. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    This is a post of the best 11 of all time of Central America. We will uses the 3-5-2 formation as it is very effective (Argentina and Brazil have won a world cup each with this. Argentina=1986 and Brazil=2002)

2. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    BTW I AM FROM COSTA RICA!!! The best 11 in my own and unbiased opinion.

Goalkeeper: Luis Gabelo Conejo (Costa Rica):
    FIFA considered him the third best goalkeeper in Italy 1990 (after Sergio Goycochea of Argentina and Walter Zenga of Italy). He was a key player for Costa Rica as they became the first (and so far only) team from Central America to make it to the second round. He is most likely the best goalkeeper ever from Central America.

Defense
    Left Centre Back:

Right Centre Back:

Center Centre Back:

Midfield
    Left Side Midfielder: Mágico González (El Salvador)
    Even Maradona said, "The only magician I know is a Salvadorian called Jorge Gonzalez." He played along FC Barcelona along D10S and proved to his club, Cadiz CF, that he was worth every single penny. He was also known as a partier!

Right Side Midfielder:

Left Centre Midfielder:

Right Centre Midfielder: Alejandro Morera Soto (Costa Rica)
    He was simply a great player. Played in Liga Deportiva Alajuelense and then FC Barcelona where he won the Pichichi Trophy and then went to Italy to play with Hercules FC. Probably the best player ever from Costa Rica.

Central Defensive Midfielder: José Luis Cruz (Honduras)
    This player was the the maestro for Honduras during Spain 1982. The equivalent of Juan Roman Riquelme. Cruz was a huge part of Honduras qualification process to that World Cup as they eliminated Mexico. He played his club football at Real Valladolid of Spain.

Offense
    Left Centre Forward: Hernan Medford (Costa Rica)
    Probably one of the best strikers ever in Central America. His second goal against Sweden in Italy 1990 was what gave us our 2-1 win over Sweden and sent Costa Rica to the second round. He also scored the second goal in the Aztecaso. Played in Pachuca and demostrated skill and tanecity of high levels. Due to his performances, they retired his number (17).

Right Centre Forward: David Suazo (Honduras)
    Most likely the best player from Central America during the last 5-6 years. He just signed with F.C. Internazionale Milano where they bought him for €10 million. He is very talented and really impressed in the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Nigeria 1999 which started his career in Europe. Simply, he is the Maradona of Central America.

Can someone help? Before this gets completly filled up, put in a name for a player and your reason why he should be included.

3. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    In no way am i saying Honduras was not good or that José Cruz was not an important part of their qualification to WC 1982. But just for argument sake, it was El Salvador who eliminated Mexico from WC82 as they were the only team to beat Mexico in the Final Round :D

Apart from that, your lineup looks pretty good.

4. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Well, come on! Give me some names!

5. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    ill throw some names.

Nico Suazo
    Gergood
    Valdez Brothers
    Jaime Rodruiguez
    Cariota Barraza

The 2 Salvadoran squad that made it to the world cup were good. We had some many good players back then.

Costa Rica has never really had any big superstar although they're always tough.

Medford, Wanchope, Gomez, Porras, they are all new names and we saw most of them playing.

I would say most players would come from Honduras and El Salvador, maybe 1 or 2 from Guate, or Panama.

Im not saying CR is not good, as a team they are dominant but when it comes to individualistic players, ES and Hon have always have better players.

Maradiaga? Pavon?

I cant think of any more players for now.

I will hold for Suazo, we'll see how he does in inter.

Machon played in Spain didnt he?

I think Amado Guevara is good too.

6. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    I dont have time to compile a full list right know, but here are some players that are definitely in contention:

Jose Mauricio Cienfuegos (El Salvador)
    Raul Ignacio Diaz Arce (El Salvador)
    Jaime Rodríguez (El Salvador)
    Jorge Humberto Rodríguez (El Salvador)
    Norberto Huezo (El Salvador)
    Manuel "Tamalón" Garay (El Salvador) (GK)

Julio Cesar Dely Valdes (Panama),

José Rafael Meza (Costa Rica)

Juan Carlos Plata (Guatemala)
    Jorge Roldan (Guatemala)

Gilberto Yearwood (Honduras)

*Obviouslly, being Salvadoran my list has more players from El Salvador :D

Maybe other BS members from Panama, Guatemala and Honduras can help you with there players that could possibly be in this lineup.

And if this is gonna be a real list of the best in Central America, we should have a bench of 4-5 players, plus coach. I know its "The best 11 of Central America of all time" but i think these extra spots are needed, as there are so many great players.

7. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    Coaches have be between Maradiaga and our guy that took us to the world cup.

I think it was Pipo Rodriguez. If that is his name. He is prob the only Central American Coach that have made it to the world.

Although Im not sure if the time Honduras made it, they had a Honduran Coach, how about Costa Rica, they never had a Costa Rican Coach before?

Oh yeah Medford, he is a concacaf champion.

I think def is going to be Pipo, ill be willing to put money that not other central american coach have taken a team to the world cup.

8. manudo1987

manudo1987 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Heredia,Costa Rica
    Guimaraes...

9. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Although i would have loved for you to be right. Guimaraes was born in Brazil. Even though he lived most of his years in CR, he is not Central American by birth.

10. manudo1987

manudo1987 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Heredia,Costa Rica
    So what? He is costarican citizen now, played for our NT and coached it to a WC. However i understand your point, but for me he is a costarican just like any of us (ticos)

11. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Jose de la Paz Herrera (Born in Honduras, and led Honduras into WC82)

12. manudo1987

manudo1987 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Heredia,Costa Rica
    Marvin Rodriguez from Costa Rica also coached us to the WC 1990, Bora Milutinovic coached during the WC.

13. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    Well, then is between those 3 coaches. Not guimaraes is not tico.

We'll have to do a research on who acomplished more in clubs. Here is a good question for the salvatruchos.

Who took us to the WC in 82? was it a foreigner coach?

14. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mauricio "Pipo" Rodríguez took us to WC82.

Much like Costa Rica did with Marvin Rodriguez and Bora Milutinovic in the lead up to WC 1990, El Salvador had Gregorio Bundio (Salvadoran) lead us throught the 1970 WCQ, but later dropped him and Hernán Vivanco (Chilean) coached us at the actual Finals.

15. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Unless i'm mistaken, there have only ever been two Central American born coaches that have lead their countries into the world cup.

They are:

Mauricio Rodríguez (El Salvador WC82)
    Jose de la Paz Herrera (Honduras WC82)

All other Central American nations have had foreign coaches, or have never qualified to the Finals.

Guatemala - Never Qualified

Belize - Never Qualified

El Salvador - Qualified twice
    > WC70 with a foreign coach (Hernán Vivanco)
    > WC82 with a national coach (Mauricio Rodríguez)

Honduras - Qualified Once
    > WC82 with a national coach (Jose de la Paz Herrera)

Nicaragua - Never Qualified

Costa Rica - Qualified three times
    > WC90 with a foreign coach (Bora Milutinovic)
    > WC02 with a foreign coach (Alexandre Guimarães)
    > WC06 with a foreign coach (Alexandre Guimarães)

Panama - Never Qualified

So ultimatley, if the coach has had to have been to a World Cup, then it's between Herrera and Rodríguez.

But if you want to consider other coach's that have not been to the Final's, yet have led club teams to success, then thats a whole different list :)

16. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    this isnt a charity contest or hollywood. the best are the best, the big dogs are the big dogs and nobody is going to change that.

Then is between Mr. Pipo and Mr. Jose. We need to find out who accomplished more is clubs from both of them.

The WC is the biggest and most important sport event in the world. Now that we know there is only 2 contenders lets break it down.

17. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Coach: Jose de la Paz Herrera (Honduras)
    He is probably the best Central American coach of all-time as he is the only Central American to lead a team into a World Cup (Honduras in Spain 1982). Honduras put a respectable performance as they tie the host nation and Northern Ireland. The only lost to Yugoslavia under a controversial penalty.

Goalkeeper: Luis Gabelo Conejo (Costa Rica):
    FIFA considered him the third best goalkeeper in Italy 1990 (after Sergio Goycochea of Argentina and Walter Zenga of Italy). He was a key player for Costa Rica as they became the first (and so far only) team from Central America to make it to the second round. He is most likely the best goalkeeper ever from Central America.

Defense
    Left Centre Back:

Right Centre Back:

Center Centre Back:

Midfield
    Left Side Midfielder: Mágico González (El Salvador)
    Even Maradona said, "The only magician I know is a Salvadorian called Jorge Gonzalez." He played along FC Barcelona along D10S and proved to his club, Cadiz CF, that he was worth every single penny. He was also known as a partier!

Right Side Midfielder:

Left Centre Midfielder:

Right Centre Midfielder: Alejandro Morera Soto (Costa Rica)
    He was simply a great player. Played in Liga Deportiva Alajuelense and then FC Barcelona where he won the Pichichi Trophy and then went to Italy to play with Hercules FC. Probably the best player ever from Costa Rica.

Central Defensive Midfielder: José Luis Cruz (Honduras)
    This player was the the maestro for Honduras during Spain 1982. The equivalent of Juan Roman Riquelme. Cruz was a huge part of Honduras qualification process to that World Cup as they eliminated Mexico. He played his club football at Real Valladolid of Spain.

Offense
    Left Centre Forward: Hernan Medford (Costa Rica)
    Probably one of the best strikers ever in Central America. His second goal against Sweden in Italy 1990 was what gave us our 2-1 win over Sweden and sent Costa Rica to the second round. He also scored the second goal in the Aztecaso. Played in Pachuca and demostrated skill and tanecity of high levels. Due to his performances, they retired his number (17).

Right Centre Forward: David Suazo (Honduras)
    Most likely the best player from Central America during the last 5-6 years. He just signed with F.C. Internazionale Milano where they bought him for €10 million. He is very talented and really impressed in the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Nigeria 1999 which started his career in Europe. Simply, he is the Maradona of Central America.

Substitutes

A few more names now

18. manudo1987

manudo1987 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Heredia,Costa Rica
    You have to add Marvin Rodriguez, he qualified CR for the WC 1990, Bora was the one who coached CR during the WC.

19. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Although he led them through the qualifiers, he didn't coach during the World Cup. And if you were to compare resumes for the three, Mauricio Rodríguez (ES), Paz Herrera (HON) and Marvin Rodriguez (CR). It would only show that El Salvador and Honduras are the only countries that have had national coaches at the actual WCF's.

If we were to include other coaches that have been through the qualifiers then Marvin Rodriguez would be a candiate, along with Gregorio Bundio, the man who led ES to WC70.

I guess the question now is, should Rodríguez and Paz Herrera be the only two coaches to choose from, soley because they coached a WC. Or should other coaches with no WC experiance also be taken into consideration??

20. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    JAJAJA, of all the names i gave you, the only thing you changed from this list to the previous one, is the coach :D

I've given you a shortlist of 11 players, most from ES, but all are capable of being in this side.

To make Feno happy, and we add Juan Francisco Barraza. Then i think you now have a list of the best Salvadoran football players ever.

So as for Salvadoran players, i think thats about it.

21. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    He came to Costa Rica when he was 11, came up through the youth ranks and represented us back in 1990. Did an excellent job back in 2002, and was complete shit last year.

22. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    How bout el Chocolate for Honduras GK????

23. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    I'm sorry but as neutral as I am trying to be on this I don't think any goalie in Central America can top Gabelo Conejo seeing that he was a very BIG part of when we went to the second round in a world cup. The only Central American team to even win at least one game, too. If he would have played against Czechoslovakia in the second round I am sure we would have beaten them just to lose in teh quater-finals against West Germany by a close score. Here are some clips of Costa Rica on road to the second round.

Primera Ronda
    Costa Rica vs Scotland (1-0)
    Estadio: Stadio Luigi Ferraris en Genoa, Italia / Atten: 30,867 / Arbitro: Juan Loustau (Argentina)
    1- http://youtube.com/watch?v=mg2h4uQyDFE Luis Gabelo Conejo y sus tajadas magicas.
    2- http://youtube.com/watch?v=bn1LgEmj9Mo El primer gol tico marcado por Juan Cayasso.
    3- http://youtube.com/watch?v=V5BfyLT108E Los ultimos minutos del gran encuentro y la primera victoria de Costa Rica y Centro America en un mundial.

Brasil vs Costa Rica (1-0)
    Estadio: Stadio Delle Alpi en Turin, Italia / Atten: 58,007 /
    Arbitro: Neji Jouini (Tunisia)
    Si alguien puede encontrar estos videos de Brasil frente a Costa Rica ponganlo o download a YouTube. Estaba en YouTube pero alguien lo borro.

Suecia vs Costa Rica (1-2)
    Estadio: Stadio Luigi Ferraris en Genoa, Italia / Atten: 30,223 / Arbitro: Zoran Petrović (Yugoslavia)
    1- http://youtube.com/watch?v=SzlWaqxREIo El gol del empate hecho por nuestro capitan Roger Flores contra los hijos de putas suecos que con comprando el arbitro estaban haciendo trampas y el arbitro de Yugoslavia que miraba al otro lado.
    2- http://youtube.com/watch?v=CXNS4kOHio4 El gol mas grande de la historia futbolistica de Costa Rica hecho por el grande Hernan Medford. Despues del empate, Costa Rica quedo practicamente classificada para la segunda ronda porque Brasil le estaba ganando a Escocia 1-0. Los suecos, despues de perder los otros dos juegos, querian ir devualta a casa con un empate. Pero nosotros no lo dejamos y vino el gol.
    3- http://youtube.com/watch?v=ABCHjMCDN3M Los ultimos minutos del encuentro. Por primera vez, un equipo Centro Americano elimina a un equipo Europeo y va a la segunda ronda. Sniff Sniff......estos si son hombres....

Segunda Ronda
    Checoslovakia vs Costa Rica (4-1)
    Estadio: Stadio San Nicola en Bari, Italia / Atten: 47,673 / Arbitro: Siegfried Kirschen (Alemania Democratica)
    1- http://youtube.com/watch?v=V6uaXVvIRDQ&mode=related&search=
    La desgracia del encuentro contra los putos suecos nos mato aqui. Gabelo Conejo fue herido por un sueco y desgraciadamente no pudo jugar. El encuentro estaba muy parejo por 70 minutos hasta que el grande Checo Tomáš Skuhravý se puso las pilas y nos anoto tres goles. Pero la historia ya estba hecha. Gracias, Muchachos!!!!

Alguien tiene mas videos de equipos de Centro america en mundiales? como honduras en espana '82?