The best 11 of Central America of all times.

Discussion in 'Central America' started by FenoFutbol, Apr 16, 2007.

1. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    Let see if we can put the team together. It should be fun.

Here is the list of the players that I think could be in the best 11.

El Salvador

Magico Gonzalez, Cariota Barraza, Guevara Mora, La Chelona Rodriguez, Diaz Arce, Cienfuegos, Luis Baltazar Zapata. I cant really think of any other Salvadoran that could make the team. I am sure my grandpa could name about 20 more that were just as good or maybe even better than these players.

Can Hugo Perez be counted as a Salvadoran???

Im going to name the players I heard of other Central American countries. But everybody is welcome to come out with the list of their country.

Costa Rica

Wanchope, Ronald Gomez, Medford, Porras? Whats the name of the dude that just scored a goal de chilena vrs Chile? I cant really think of anybody else.

Is Wanchope Gringo or Tico?

Honduras.

Maradiaga, Gerwood ( I think thats how you spell it) Nene Ovando, Pavon Plummer, you think Suazo is good enough to make it?

Guatemala.

Since Guate was almost never any good. I cant really think of a Chapin that would make this team. Maybe some Chapines que think of some of their legendary players. Well we have Pescadito Ruiz now.

Panama.

Deli Valdez brothers, Penedo maybe? Rommel Fernandez?

Nicaragua en Belice have almost not option.

2. pura_vida362

pura_vida362 Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Mississauga, Canada
    Fonseca is the guy who scored against Chile. I wouldn't put Porras on there. Conejo yes. Belice could put their goalie Orio. (sp?)

3. manudo1987

manudo1987 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Heredia,Costa Rica
    Alejandro Morera Soto, played for FC Barcelona:cool:

4. pura_vida362

pura_vida362 Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Mississauga, Canada
    tico

5. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    For El Salvador you missed..... Norberto 'el pajarito' Huezo, y tambien Ever Hernandez.

Why would Wanchope be gringo?

Seems, like history points that CR y ES have had the best players.
    Soto, Gomez, Badass Wanchope, and badass Fonseca. Medford. Quality players. In like 10 years we will be saying the same thing about Honduras, they really have some talent. And Guatemala with C.Ruiz.

Penedo? Are you talking about there goalie? I wouldn't think so, i would feel much comfortable with, Porras or Trigueno Foster, whom has proven to be a amazing talent between the sticks.
    Overall i'd say, Foster is the best in CA.

As for Hugo, he is Salva..but he played for USA so you can't really count him as the elite 11 of CA.

6. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    best costaricans that I have seen in my life

Conejo

Gilberto martinez-marin-roger flores-ronald gonzales

centeno-fonseca-gomez-wilmer lopez

wanchope-medford

7. manudo1987

manudo1987 New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Heredia,Costa Rica
    Le faltó "Peché" Rodriguez:D

8. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    You could, but the other guys you listed were probably better than him. He's sorta like Freddy Adu, a good player, but really good because he's in the US and there are better people than him back home. If Magico or even Cienfuegos had grown up in the US and played for the nats they would have easily been stars too.
    I'd put Conejo above him he was considered one of the best(if not the best) goalkeepers in the 1990 World Cup. Costa Rica was tied in the second round against Czechoslovakia until he came out, before they lost. Also, Jafet Soto and Fonseca could probably make it, and maybe Bolanos someday(but not right now).
    He's Tico, born in Heredia. He went to high school in Cali:cool: and speaks English with a Latin accent. Played Basketball there too.
    Suazo may end up being Honduras' best ever someday, but even now he's good enough to make it, Milton "Tyson" Nunez too. There were some guys who played in the 1982 World Cup in Spain when they tied N. Ireland and Spain, can't remember their names...
    Medina(with the red hair) is pretty good too, maybe him? Panama prolly has the youngest team in CA and they'll be improving.

9. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    Ok so im goin to try to answer to most of the answers.

ES had so many good players, if you ever talked to any old Salvadoran you would find out that before nobody really paid attention to Europe. Of course we always knew about Real Madrid of DiStefano or Santos of Pele.

Going to play to Europe or to other countries really was not a big deal untill the 80s.

Like I said my dad would name Salvadorans that were 10 times better than Cienfuegos or Diaz Arce according to them. Players such as Maquinita Merlos, el Ruso Quintanilla, La Arana Magana... and could go on and on naming players. El Salvador with Honduras and Costa Rica prob have the biggest tradition of soccer in our area, Guate is the only big one that never really made it to the top dogs level.

Porras isnt that spectacular, but he is a concacaf Champion.

Penedo took Panama to their first runner up in Copa De Oro, thats pretty impressive to me, it was te first time Panama actually did something big.

David Suazo still has a lot to prove, I think. maybe making it to the World Cup can be what we need, or playing for a top team.

Jafet Soto was pretty good too.

Martin Machon was a domintan left back I think.

How about Raul Garcia???? Anybdoy remember El Salvador tie vrs Costa Rica in San Jose, and El Superman Garcia being the SuperStar for ES?

Here we can go with position.

Golies:

Left Backs: Martin Macho?
    Right Backs:

Sweeper: Luis Marin
    Stopper: Geronimo Geerwood

Left wing: Cariota Barraza
    D. Center Mid:
    A. Center Mid: Magico Gonzalez
    Right Wing: Jafet Soto?

Forwards: Wancope, Julio Dely Valdez?

Medina is not very good, the Panamenian went to Aguila and he struggled. Couldnt handle the pressure.

Nunez is not that good either, just fast.

Pescadito is descent... nothing like the forwards mentioned before.

Keet it going folks.

Maybe we can come out with the best 11, the bench, and some good mentions.

10. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    At the end of the day though mates, the freaking all time best players squad is going to look like a El Salvador/Costa Rica squad.

11. latinpapiincharlotte

Apr 24, 2006
    Um I dont know about all that, Honduras has several players that have been very successful and in just dont get the publicity.

Julio Cesar "Rambo" de Leon- has played in Uruguay, Mexico, and Itality and played in the Olympic games and in many dault national teams, so he has quietly been one of the best midfielders in the CONCACAF

Carlos Pavon- has a very succesful career in Mexico and one of the best central Americans to play in Mexico, along with stops in Colombia, Italy and Spain and always played well for the national team of course. Also won a Championship with MORELIA

Amado Guevarra- Played in Mexico, USA and brief stint in SPAIN of course undisputed leader for the national team and 2001 Copa America MVP

Edgar Alvarez- has played in URUGUAY, ITALY for a few years now. He played in PENAROL where he won a CHAMPIONSHIP and has had a solid career in URUGUAY AND ITALY.

IVAN GUERRERO- Who also has played in ENGLAND first Honduran to play in the PREMIER LEAGUE, URUGUAY in PENAROL as well and CURRENTLY in MLS Chicago Fire

Jose "La Coneja" Cardona -- Primer jugador en marcar un gol en el estadio AZTECA (primer juego de NOCHE)

Cardona was lent to Spanish club Elche, who a year later was promoted to the top flight of the Spanish League for the first time in their history. He made his debut on September 13th, 1959 against Real Oviedo, and stayed for 5 seasons, playing 89 games and scoring 24 goals in first division.
    In the season 1959, Cardona was the top scorer in Spanish second division with 22 goals (the same number of goals made by first division top scorer Alfredo Di Stéfano that season).

In 1964 he transferred to Atlético Madrid, who that season came second in the league championship and won the Copa del Generalísimo (now known as La Copa del Rey). Cardona scoring the winning goal in the final against Real Zaragoza.
    The following year he played 10 times in Atlético's championship-winning season. He retired at the end of the 1968-69 season, by which time he had played a total of 141 games in Primera división, scoring 44 goals.
    Cardona playing with Valencia C.F. scored the first goal in the first nightly game in the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City against Necaxa on June 5, 1966. The final score was 3-1 in favor of Valencia C.F.

David Suazo might be the BEST FORWARD to ever come out of CENTRAL AMERICA, it would be foolish to not put him on the list. Broke the club record for goal scoring, BEST FOREING PLAYER IN 2006 in ITALY and he still has plenty of time to add to his career on that team or maybe a bigger club.

Honduras has usually provided the most players to foreing leagues in the last few years from what I saw on the stats, as far was from the CENTRAL AMERICAN COUNTRIES.

There are a few more players that I left off, several guys from the 1082 team that qualified in SPAIN all had great careers

12. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    If you're looking for just pretty players it would probably just be Costa Rica and El Salvador, but I think Honduras has the most effective in the region, like listed above.

Also, if I had to pick a Central American coach for the all-star team, it would definately be Honduran Ramon Maradiaga. He put together Honduras' best ever WC Qualifying squad around the 2002 World Cup, and turned Guatemala from a small team into a serious contender for 2006. He's the best.

13. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

ah Selvyn Pennat ,greatest striker aborad for Guate , played in Chile.. back in the 70's/80's

Martin Machon at 17 played in spain for Real Valladolid, then numerous Mexican Clubs and then the MLS in the end of the peak of his career . and btw Feno he was A LM and late in his career he became a Central Mid

Ruiz is argubly the 2nd best striker in C.A. now.. 27 years old and no one comes close to his scoring rate, besides suazo.

Pezzarossi at his Prime played for Bolton Wanderers in the EPL when he was 24 in 2004. first Chapin to play in the English Prem, and also 3rd Chapin to play in spain for Racing de Ferrol and Numancia. scored a ton in the Chile League and played some of his best fut in Argentine top flight back in 2003

the Stokes Brothers, the most Dominant Centerbacks in Guate history, they played in mexico

14. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    Here we go.

This prob the best thread in a long time.

Pescadito is old, D. Suazo is not young either. To me theyre good, not spectacular.

Ruiz is def not better than Wanchope, Medford, Fonseca, Dely Valdez, so that being said, there is really nothing to talk about it, he could just get "honor" mention.

David Suazo could be arguable. He is about 28 now, he isnt that young to expect big things from him. Like I say, making it to the world cup or playing for a top club can put him on top... not there yet.

The best 11 have to come out with the best of the best at their positions. So many players that are not going to make it, not bc they are not good, is bc there are better players at their position.

I know that Jorge Gonzalez and Cariota Barraza are prob the only Salvadoran that should be there, and maybe La Chelona Rodriguez.

I though Machon was a left back? He was pretty good as I remember.

Can somebody else come out with a team too, so we can have another opinion on the positions?

As far as Coaches, I like Maradiaga, he is a Hero in my hometown, and his best years of futbol he was a Club Deportivo Aguila, thats awesome.

I could prob put Pipo Rodriguez also in the Coaching position. He took ES to Mexico 70.

Any other Central American Coach?

I agree with Honduras players, idk if they were great, but they sure have some good players too.

15. ElCesar

ElCesar Member

Mar 12, 2001
    KY
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    The Honduran player's name, that is mispelled twice above, is "Gilberto Yearwood".

I can understand the confusion with the spelling, as Hondurans pronounce it "yerwud".

16. latinpapiincharlotte

Apr 24, 2006
    Well we need to figure out the differen between GREAT and VERY GOOD THEN?

For Honduras THE 3 greatest PLAYERS have been
    1. David Suazo-Italy
    2. Jose "La Corneja" Cardona-Spain
    3. Gilberto " El Vikingo" Yearwood-Spain

so those 3 would most certaintly be on the top of the list for there accomplishments and for competeing at such high levels. In SPAIN and ITALY those players who didnt excell at a high competitive leauge are hard to argue for? I would imagine compared to the ones that have.

17. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I agree with that list. Pavon shouldn't even be considered as the greatest Honduran players Sure, he score a lot of goals for La Bicolor and had a great career in Mexico but he's aslo inconsistent as hell. He may score 3 goals in one game and then he completely dissapears fro like 4 straight games.

He's also an españolista :p

18. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    i also forgot the most Important that i credit JfClue for finding

Guatemala's First player in spain and at Real Madrid ,Federico Revuelto

http://www.prensalibre.com.gt/pl/domingo/futbol.shtml

Feno Guate had loads of good players .

19. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    I haven seen Suazo a couple of times. Still need the big step. WC or Real Madrid, Milan?

Nothin againts Honduras, but kind of funny with so many "great" players playin in "competitive" leagues, only one world cup?

Come back to earth, we had have Salvadorans in Holland, Finland, Argentina, Uruguay... nobody gives a shit about them bc they were not better than Cienfuegos or Cariota Barraza.

Barraza had a millionary offer from Santos of Brazil, he told people he was happy in Aguila, that to him Aguila was the best soccer team in the world.

Magico Gonzalez was dating Cadiz President's daughter, and rejected Real Madrid and Barcelona millionar offers too.

Pele never went to Europe...

Going to play to Spain for a ************ team does not count, ask that to Cuactemoc Blanco.

Magico could be an exception... shit he was compared to Maradona...

20. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    What position, how well he did in Spain?

21. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    he was a founding player of Madrid i don't know it could of been the turn of the century, it is more symbolic, more so our famous modern day players 1982 and up consist of the following at thier prime

Dwight Pezzarossi- when at Bolton Circa 2004
    Ruiz at LA Galaxy circa 2002 he scored 30 Goals in all Competiton including 24 being League goals( no central American comes close in 1 season in the MLS and he just past Raul Diaz arce in MLS goals and ruiz played 2 less year then him)
    Martin Machon- Real Valladolid circa 1992

22. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    You also forgot to mention that Fiorentina y Bayen also were after him....Fiorentina the most recognizable, the offered him more than Real and Barca. I still say Magico should have left.:confused:

23. latinpapiincharlotte

Apr 24, 2006

Ok lets analyze this, not many people question HONDURAS for talent but a lot of the reasons why they have failed qualifying for WORLD CUPS is because of lack of organization from the big wigs. Now with that being said um I think ES has been to 2 world cups so one more then Honduras so thats right around our Block if you ask me. Now with that being said ES has been in hibernation as far as producing good players to other foreing leagues the past 7-10 years agree?

Now A lot of the players I have named I have personally watched on several acasions wheter it be on the national teams or on there teams, Ok not still sold on SUAZO well then tell me ANOTHE FORWARD FROM CENTRAL AMERICA that has done similar things that he has accomplished up to this point in his career? WANCHOPE PERHAPS? UM JULIO CESAR DELY? the pickens are slim.

Hard to blame SUAZO for not playing on a big club with the BIG BOSS doesnt want to make the move, and besides um CADIZ wasnt considered BIG TIME TEAM IN SPAIN? or where they? that still should not blemish the accomplishments that MAGICO DID.

Well one thing is making it to the BIG LEAGUES another thing is actually STAYING THERE AND EXCELLING among the best players in the world agree? that is my point these players played in top of the line leagues and have EXCELLED!

24. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    I flirted with the Diriamba's(Nicaragua's second-best team) coach's daughter(she was fine as hell, with a body that...well...this is a futbol forum:rolleyes: )
    And I play for a ************************ team in Spain too, could I be on the list:D

Seriously though, I had a question. I've heard several rumours about Honduras throwing their last WC 2002 qualifier against Trinidad at home(they lost at home to T&T after killing Mexico 3-1 and the US 3-2 in Washington?) I heard it had something to do with Mexico wanting to make the WC at all costs, and that a Honduran reporter who was writing a story on it was found shot to death in his hotel. Any truth to it?

25. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    YOur tryin to prove that Suazo is better than Jorge? :D good one.

One season, he won the leadin scorin thing, "foreigner" player of the year. One time??? is he goin to do it again? how well is he doin now?

Jorge Gonzalez took ES to a WC, and took Mexico out, was compared to Maradona and Pele.

Suazo may be the next Pele but he still has a long way to go. Having a lucky season in a crappy team can happen to anybody, Batistuta won so many things with Fiorentina... was Batistuta ever compared to Maradona or Pele??

If Suazo was as good as you make it sound, Honduras is going to this coming world cup for sure...

Is Suazo better than Wanchope or Dely Valdez... I dont think so buddy but again, I could be wrong.

I even think Medford was better than Suazo, to be honest with you. Even Fonseca, you can prove me wrong if you can.