The Belgian Beast - The Romelu Lukaku Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Jul 6, 2017.

1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We're dealing with a lot of exodus rumors and his agent has the gall to pull this shit now? He's effectively a bench player that's the 3rd highest paid on the team. So if he wants to leave he can ******** right off. Give us 100 mil and he's yours. Lukaku is very replaceable.

LA. MAN UNITED and benni... repped this.
  2. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Sell him

benni... repped this.
  3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To who though? They've mentioned Italy specifically but who needs him there that can afford him. Not Juve or Milan. And they're about the only teams that can afford him there. The only other side could maybe be Inter in a swap type deal for Icardi if he decides to force a move.

Not sure I'd take that deal either.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #654 Ashur, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    Inter would be the prime destination for him, especially if guys like Conte or Mourinho, as it's being more and more rumored take over this summer (either manager clearly favor the type of 9 Lukaku is). Icardi is gone: who knows how much they will actually get from his sale, but it should be enough to cover Lukaku's cost.
    Still believe that Ole for now at least will press on with Rashford as his main guy, so if Lukaku is not happy in a backup role, there will be no real resistance from the club to see him go, especially if the amount is right (which won't be 100mil or even the 75 or so we paid for him).
    We can get someone good enough as an insurance policy to backup Rashford and if somehow he does not become the club's undisputed main 9 by the summer of 2020, maybe United can plot a move for Krzysztof Piatek. He looks like the real deal but want to see him over a full season with Milan. Not that they'd sell him this summer yet, having just purchased him in January anyhow.

5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Muppet season already
    [​IMG]

He's not going anywhere. There's plenty other places in the team that need fixing first.

Sofabloke and jnielsen repped this.
  6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Unless he forces a move. He's not important enough to refuse to sell.

7. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's useful enough against weaker opponents

8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Lukaku is our new Fellaini.

Clearly not a Manchester United player.

9. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No it's matic.

10. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why not both?

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    at least Fellaini came up clutch. whether you liked him or not he did come up with key goals every so often

benni... and Amdrag repped this.
  12. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If we can get some legit money to reinvest off Lukaku, I am cool with him moving on.

benni... repped this.
  13. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i'm not even mad at Lukaku. much like Fellaini not his fault MUFC came for him.

if i had to choose between staying at Everton with Martínez or move to United with Mourinho the choice is obvious. the problem is there isn't a clear option out there unless folks are fine with Rashford at 9?

Amdrag repped this.
  14. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Well we can go for a goalscoring RW and at least look to take the pressure off that position. I don't know how well Nicholas Pepe would work out but he seems like he'd be excellent as either a RWF or a right sided striker in a diamond.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Im open to hi leaving if and only we can find adequate replacement plus i wanted to see Martial Rashford Lukaku front 3 for few matches..

17. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Lukaku can emotionally handle being Rashford's backup for starts I'd keep him. There are more than a few occasions in this league when brute force is required to score goals. And he's actually shown a few flashes of solid play when pushed out to the right.

But if a huge mid comes in, accept it and develop Greenwood next season into the rotation. The boy shows incredible potential and even though he might be better off being loaned out or eased in over the next two seasons (he'll be 18 in October), sometimes it's better to unleash young talent, come what may.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    https://www.skysports.com/football/...ds-romelu-lukaku-hopes-for-dream-serie-a-move

this came up again. maybe his agent maybe a replant of the story. doesn't matter.

pretty sure no fan would be opposed to this. just hasn't worked out despite a promising start

20. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Get rid. I've always liked Lukaku's mentality and public statements about the club.

But I want all these players talking about 'dreams' playing elsewhere gone. Let's let them go live their dreams.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that Conte is all but confirmed as Inter's new manager, along with the rumors of Icardi to Juve starting over once again, the talk about Lukaku to Inter is also gathering pace. Reports are confirming that he is said to be their preferred target as a replacement if Icardi leaves as expected..

22. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Plenty of strikers who look great in other leagues stall when it comes to the EPL.

Lukaku has his issues (as do we in terms of creating chances for him), but good goals-scorers who can also do it in this league consistently are pretty rare.

If we go split strikers or a lop-sided 4-3-3 he can play on the right-hand side and get major minutes even if Ole sticks with Rashford at #9. Plus can also obvs play #9 too (& you need a few top quality strikers, especially if we see 4d2 more).

If he drops a little weight pre-season I think he can still contribute significantly for us. Rash/Martial as L#9 and Lukaku/Greenwood as R#9 would be my preferred 4 in a two-striker system. Sanchez can go f&£k himself.

Maybe not a popular opinion but I would deffo keep.

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Didn't Icardi just come out yesterday saying he doesnt want to leave?

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I see this as one of 2 ways. I don't think Conte will want to work with him and it's really not hard to see them clash eventually. And I also believe that Icardi is publicly claiming that he does not want to leave, but behind the scenes both he and his wife are trying to strike a deal with another club (Juve, who apparently have been interested for some time).
    It's just hard to see him staying after everything that happened and more over, neither he or Wanda will change. So this is all a PR stunt in my opinion and I think he'll be off eventually.
    As far as Lukaku is concerned, he may be the best striker we have currently at the club, but it only means so much when A) we consider the competition and B) he's just not a natural fit in Ole's system. And if we can somehow replace him, even for a longer term solution, who will be a better fit, than I say we cash in now.
    Werner is there for the taking: we should absolutely be all over this as he'd be perfect on pretty much all fronts: he's young, on the verge and his style matches our needs to a tee (great holdup/link up abilities, great movement, can drift wide when required) and the guy seems to be a natural finisher. His contract situation (about to enter the last year of his current deal and not willing to sign a new one) also means we won't pay full freight for him either.