The Belgian Beast - The Romelu Lukaku Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Jul 6, 2017.

1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Despite what some here might think, he's still our best 9. Rashford might add a little more in the build up (which I think is debatable) but Lukaku scored 4 goals the past two games that Rashford doesn't score because his finishing and positioning is just so much better.

2. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Rashford is diff striker pace dribble shot, Lukaku is more traditional and his last 4 finishes echoes it. Its good to have both set of strikers obviously there is pros and cons with both of them but what we havent seen is Martial Rashford Lukaku trinity which give us complete diff option but having lukaku out wide we need intelligent runs acorss box.

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #629 johno, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    A pair of superbly taken goals. The thing about both that might go under the radar that Rashford should pick up on as he learns his trade is how quickly Lukaku took them. Rom was in a good spot with good body orientation to receive the ball on the first. One touch to kill the ball, one to shift it, one to shoot. The second goal was first touch, he had a pair of first half chances good ones, that came off of similar plays. He had 4 shots inside the box that came off less than 10 touches.

That's elite striker play. For sure, goals represent half chances that were well taken, but he was unlucky not to score from his first two shots. One was at the door step, quick 2 touch opportunity and the other was a good spot, with time to place his shot which was on target in the corner but saved.

When you add it to his recent creativity as well, he's in a really really rich vein of form. If he gets 4 quality shots a game, he's going to score bags of goals.

EDIT:

I got side tracked a bit. Rom gets criticized for an inconsistent touch but there are so many things he does well. He's so good at playing on the half turn so that if a ball comes his way when he's close to goal, he doesn't need too many touches. When you can shoot that quickly, you don't even need power because you are able to hit the net before the keeper can readjust.

5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    His touch becomes a problem when we play good teams and we cannot out possess the opponent. The balls come forward and they dont stick.

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is a fair criticism. I didn't mean to say that Rom doesn't have issues with his touch. I was saying, against Soton he was incredibly good.

I think the thing with his touch can at times be amplified, perhaps because it is frustrating, perhaps because it stands out. However, I recall there being similar criticisms of Ruud. Not his touch per se, but the ball not sticking when we were being pressed. Not for one second am I suggesting Rom's touch is anywhere near Ruud's but the issues are similar. When our shape goes to shit and we lump or ping balls forward, we can't expect them to stick without support. People complained about Ruud's inability to hold up the ball especially aerial balls when he was alone up top. Attackers need support or they will lose as they are outnumbered and have to take the ball perfectly JUST FOR A CHANCE to keep it and all the defender has to do is jostle or knock them or get one toe on the ball.

benni... repped this.
  7. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I will also say that the last 2 or 3 games, the ball has been sticking. When he has his back to goal, he's been able to get the ball and bring others into play. When these things are going so well, I cannot complain.

With PSG coming up, you know this facet will be tested. They will pin us back at times and we'll see then.

johno repped this.
  8. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    He still struggles with balls in the air that he tries to take with his feet. That’s the most consistent touch issue I see him have.

9. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I was just thinking maybe this is where the extra weight could be hurting him. The balance and finese needed to control these passes.... it must be harder to execute when you're carrying around more weight than ur used to.

10. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Stepped in 2 consecutive games and won us 6 points, with injuries piling up he did his job when required most. The issue with his touch is nothing new and i doubt he could improve on that but lets just be grateful for his 4 goals.

Gilma1990 and incighte repped this.
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anonymous_United repped this.
  12. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I think the fairy tale writer didnt watch Lukaku Post match interview..
    1102846583727640576 is not a valid tweet id

13. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @benni...

Anonymous_United, J'can, johno and 3 others repped this.
  14. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You da man bro!!!

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I said it before, Rom has to play. Especially without Martial in the lineup we can’t lean on Rashford to be the main goal scorer.

And with Rom’s new found flexibility I am excited at what Him, Rash, and Martial can do once Tony gets healthy. That’s a lot of pace and directness for defenses to handle.

Gilma1990 and Anonymous_United repped this.
  16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On that type of form, it's not even a question at all whether Lukaku should play or not. Scored 2 big goals in a huge game. If he's as good the rest of the season the same way he really suffered earlier in the season, then I'll gladly take it. Awesome of him to step up the way he has (unlike someone else who will not be named).

17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I can't wait till we have everyone fit again. Can you imagine Rom and Rash swapping places at will and Dalot bombing forward from RB? I can't wait!

Anonymous_United and J'can repped this.
  18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Honestly, we're a RW, 6, and CB away from being a really dangerous team.

19. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, Lukaku making me eat my words. Wow.

20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

21. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Oh boy...

22. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Need at least one more CM, maybe two. Rotation/Injuries.

24. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just saw him celebrating in Di maria face, you are alright.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States