The Belgian Beast - The Romelu Lukaku Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

That is my point. That is a finisher's finish. It is something like that, that when people say we should sell him or he should be a bench option I say you are underselling him. He has heaps to go on consistency especially in big games but he will now be in a system that provides chances. Remember the elite strikers still convert at a 1 for 4 rate. He needs more chances a game and he can be that close to being elite.

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #577 Ashur, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    The problem has never been in regards to the limited amount of chances he's had to deal with. Under those circumstances, this is actually a department he's done very well last season and I don't doubt he'll start scoring for us.
    The main issue(s) and concern when it comes to him, as they always were, have to do with his consistency and more importantly scoring when it really matters and against quality oppo, just as he does vs mediocre teams.
    A true 9 that is elite and of United quality does not go in long dry spells or is just a flat track bully. Those are the depts we need to start some genuine progress, as to dispel any doubts about him.
    And hopefully, under Ole's tutelage, we'll see improvement in those fronts. It really is not too much to ask of our #9 and a player who cost us as much as he did. He gets a pass for the poor start of the season (for obvious reasons), but now is the time for him to show what he's got and what he's capable of.

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Lukaku "Playing to the gallery".

5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If Rash is to be auto choice for #9 under OGS then we need to be creative with Lukaku.

Would like the staff to work with him on his fitness / mobility by loosing some weight / muscle (something that needed doing anyway) and along with sub #9 minutes giving him some minutes at RWF given we suck there.

Sure in addition to mobility his control, linkup play and dribbling will need to improve from current form (they do anyway) but actually think getting him on the ball more is something he needs at the moment to get past this. Plus think he can be a real threat being a leftie in the advanced RWF space if defenders are having to focus on Rash #9 and Martial LWF.

Should give him a spin there when we face some lesser ippo.

6. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Since he was a teen phenom, Romelu always relies on his athleticism to beat defenders. He now has to find a way to raise his game without relying so heavily on his athleticism. We’ll see if can do that.

Until further notice, I like him as an option coming off the bench.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lukaku is still a big part of the squad and needs to stay ready - OGS

www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-united/story/3753645/manchester-uniteds-lukaku-has-similar-dilemma-to-manager-solskjaers

Ole's man management so far, just like his record since he returned, has been near perfect. Love how he seems really intent on keeping everyone on board, which is smart as he just might need everyone at some point between now and season's end.
    Even his remarks about Fellaini, who has barely featured in the last month, of how he's the team's X-factor and how it's sad that he's hurt, reflects as much.
    Just one month in and a few to go, but he's pretty much hasn't out a foot wrong so far. Surely is way more than Woodward could have hoped for: no wonder the players are reportedly very much in favor of him getting the job.

8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    He is doing all the basics things right by keeping it simple, he is no tactician but playing attacking football lwhich is United DNA and so far he has enrolled everyone on board either by giving them minute or necessary words.

9. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On what basis do you say he is no tactician?

Spurs first half had some promise especially when you consider some comments about preparation from some players. Second half showed he might be inexperienced which is fine.

Too early to draw definite conclusions and he has not been able to build (buy/sell) players

incighte repped this.
  10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think Lukaku can be used at RWF in the same way Rashford was used against Spurs. He'll benefit from the extra space and after Martial, Rashford and Pogba, he's probably right up there as most likely to beat a man in space. Given that he's the best crosser on our team, I'm fine with him getting the occasional game in that role OR getting minutes as a sub there as well.

I'm hopeful that he's content to work his way into the first XI gradually because it is helpful to have a strong bench and different options.

Sofabloke repped this.
  11. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    By tactician i meant LVG or Jose.

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Thought Lukaku at RWF worked well against Arsenal, as he showed with his two assists there is more to his game than just goals.

13. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    RWF only on counters and used in the channels. When in possession he is still playing centrally. Any CF with speed and physicality is used on the wings in the counters.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    We need him to step up and for god sake drop some stones.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  16. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Icardi has agreement with Juve according to Italian sources but if there is a slight chance this could happen we need to make it happen.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't remember who mentioned it, but it might be a good idea to play Rom as a RWF. He's got lots of pace, a good cross, left footed, and his donkey touch won't be as much as an issue as it would if he played CF.

20. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    johno is the first poster i can remember who explained Rom on the right side.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  21. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lukaku has been played on the right lots before. It was actually Martinez who first did the experiment years ago during his club days.

incighte repped this.
  22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be a solution/option for the remainder of the season (a position he played with for Belgium and Everton so it's nothing new really), but if things stay as they are and Lukaku fails to establish himself as the team's #1 CF, we seriously should consider offloading him in the summer.
    As effective as he can be on the right, he's no substitute for the real deal (which there are plenty of high quality options at the moment).

23. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea, I mean given the current injury situation, we really don't have much to lose by starting Rom on the right

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing 4-3-3 in the current situation with both Martial and Lingard creates a problem on the left. Sanchez is the obvious solution on paper, but he's really not, as he messes other peoples games beside his (namely Pogs and Shaw).
    I would like to try a change of formation where we play with Rashford and Lukaku together up top. It's something that should work. We can play Lukaku on the right of a 4-3-3 when we get Martial back.

25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    LOTS? I don't think anyone's definition of Lukaku's use as anything other than a striker is lots.

He has played there in the past, but my idea of playing him out wide actually has less to do with his history of playing out there and more to do with my analysis of his play - which is that he's better at running with the ball in space than he is with it in tight quarters and he's the best crosser on our team in years. He also makes excellent decisions on the counter, possibly only behind Pogba in that regard.

Anonymous_United repped this.