The Belgian Beast - The Romelu Lukaku Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Jul 6, 2017.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Unfortunately because it means players who are more technical and less physical are less likely to succeed with us. We need more technical players, not fewer.

2. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Imagine where our season would be if Rom had been injured.

At least in Sanchez we now have someone along with Rash to provide cover @#9 given Zlatan season 2.0 looks like being a bust.

4. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lukaku is actually my POTY.

Chaz Striker repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lukaku is definitely performing better than expected overall. Except for a dip in form, which was pretty long still after a fast start, he's been very good.
    Still it's a toss up between him and Dave for me, as far as the PotY is concerned. Easily taken for granted, but he's stepped it up a couple of notches this season: the number of clean sheets he's kept, plus he keeps on coming up with just amazing saves on a regular basis.
    What's kind of troubling me though and is worth noting: who would have thought that Lukaku is comfortably outperforming Pogba? Not only in his play, but also in his attitude. I'd kind of hope that Lukaku would pull him on the side at some point, since they're good friends and all (if he hasn't done so already) ask him what he's doing and telling him to shape up.
    First year with the club and Lukaku is hungry as hell, working his sock off, if nothing else and showing passion. The same definitely can not be said about Pogba. Needs to seriously step it up there.

6. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I give it to Lukaku myself because I think DDG has been setup to succeed more than Lukaku has.

He's been awesome too, but Lukaku has applied himself so well. He's slowly improving in many aspects too.

He' scored, provided and contributed to our limited offense all among a sea of constant change.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are all valid points, except that De Gea has been set up to succeed. If you mean, having to play behind an often mediocre back line at best for most of the season or having to stand on his head pretty frequently to win the team points, then I guess that it could be called that.
    I'm certainly not hating on Lukaku. I'm very happy to say that he's proved me wrong, in many ways. And interestingly enough, I still believe he can go higher even. But at this time, I'm still calling it a toss up.
    Both players have been vital to the team this season. And perhaps, we will see some real separation in the run in coming up.

8. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I mean DDG has been setup in the sense he's benefited from our negative setup and stay at home defenders.

9. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Martial was on course to be player of the season until Jose replaced him with Sanchez. From the wing he had 12 goals and 7 assists despite getting fewer minutes than most...and had won 3 of the 6 player of the month awards. He had real momentum in january...then he was replaced.

jnielsen, Naboomagnoli, benni... and 2 others repped this.
  10. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to agree. It was Martial's for the taking before Alexis came (or rather, forced) into the picture.

11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martial was putting an excellent season from a numbers point of view and his importance in the team was growing, I agree there. But can we say that he was truly vital to the team, the way Lukaku or Dave are? Not so sure he was there yet.
    So while I agree that his impact was growing (and as mentioned, think it would be a grave mistake to let him go), for me at least, he was not necessarily a top candidate for PotY. And unfortunately, with Sanchez's arrival, we'll never know how good a season he could have had.
    But I'm really hoping he stays beyond this season, that much is certain..

12. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

13. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

14. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    jnielsen repped this.
  15. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    jnielsen repped this.
  16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lukaku is hungry for titles more than personal achievements.

www.mufclatest.com/romelu-lukaku-looking-to-add-trophies-to-his-career-not-personal-achievements-just-look-at-his-hunger/

So glad that Lukaku end up proving me wrong. His attitude and his burning desire to win is what really impressed me the most. Previously mentioned his reaction to Matic's last second goal vs Palace not too long ago.
    Absolutely loved seeing that. Pogba is not the same type of person obviously, but if he had just some of that intensity in him...

17. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lukaku has performed very well this season, but his run of horror form went on way too long. Without any serious question De Gea has been our best player, by quite some distance, this season.

It was during Lukaku's run of horror form that we lost any realistic hope of catching City for the trophy. It was a collective team effort that dropped the ball during this time, but there's no question that Lukaku's drop in form coincided with us conceding the trophy to City.

And there's still something to the claim that Lukaku doesn't show up against top clubs, although he's chipped away at that claim with a goal against Chelsea, a critical win for us.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A breakdown of Lukaku's Prem goals.

www.fourfourtwo.com/my/news/young-not-quick-lukakus-100-premier-league-goals-opta-numbers

What sticks out if the confirmation that Lukaku is a flat track bully, with a somewhat sketchy record vs top oppo. Being at a club like United and surrounded by better talent, the hope always was that it would get better (ad it's showing signs, especially more recently).
    If there is one aspect of his game we really hope he continues to improve upon in his time at United, it's definitely the one.

19. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  20. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Beast has hit a great run of form, including an important goal against a big club, finally (Chelsea) but we're going to need to him perform at top gear against City. If I were a betting man I'd put a bet down on him to score at least a goal and I'm not ruling out two, despite City being a wounded animal.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He was bad yesterday, althought the team was in general.

I seriously dont understand why so many aerial clearances go over his head. He had at least 5 clearances or lobs up to him, that he eneded up going too far underneath the ball and missing it completely.

If Lukaku isnt going to consistenly play up to his size, he should lose some weight. Its almost as if him being strong and tall is more of a hinderance than a benefit at times.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 and johno repped this.
  24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He needs to have his vision checked. There was one in particular, he was like a yard or more too deep. No reason to miss by that much.

That said, his pace is tremendous, I’m not sure how much he would gain from losing weight. I guess his stamina should improve and his acceleration too.

Edit: he needs to work a lot harder when we are out of possession.

benni... repped this.
  25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    this^ & this^^

you know what was most frustrating for me? around minute 89 or 90 he gets the identical high ball dropping from the sky and chests it down perfectly and keeps possession.

my reaction was "WUT??...you could have been doing this all along!" ಠ_ಠ

jnielsen, johno and benni... repped this.