The Beginning Of A New End: Julen Lopetegui Argote

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Ayayain, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just goes to show that Marca has zero insider info. It's hilarious how just yesterday they released the A-Z list of all the potential managers...only they missed the one that got the job. "L" stood for Laudrup.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2018/06/11/5b1ebb6c22601d91788b45c3.html

I LOVE SURPRISES!

The salt level is reeeeal for the RM haters. They're losing their collective minds over why JL isn't focusing on the national team. I LOVE watching them get angry. LOVE IT.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/rea...ss-julen-lopetegui-to-replace-zinedine-zidane

Shay Z, Yannick Relens and raven3k repped this.
  2. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    JL better PRAY that Spain doesn't get knocked out in the round of 32. That would suuuuuuuuck.

3. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  4. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The future of Julen Lopetegui as Spanish coach hangs by a thread

Rubiales does not guarantee his continuity: "We will do what's best for the national team"

http://www.marca.com/futbol/seleccion/2018/06/13/5b204ecdca47416d6f8b464e.html

So much over reaction since it's RM. Would have been fine if he went to Turkey lol. Let these idiots sabotage their world cup if they want by sacking him. We wanted to keep it a secret, but non-RM player getting the news changed the plans fearing leaks. It's not like the likes of Pique would have hidden it from his friends in Barca media.

Doni, Ahmadi8 and Zidane05 repped this.
  5. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #130 Saeta Rubia, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

How Real Madrid secured the signing of Julen Lopetegui

http://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2018/06/12/5b203717468aeb1e368b4680.html

6. CR7PT

CR7PT Member+

Real Madrid
    Portugal
    Mar 26, 2014
    Portugal
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm not that keen on the guy, never felt to me like a high-level type of coach.
    First time I heard about this news was through an instagram post of a Porto fan, friend of mine, with a couple of crying laugh emojis... so yeah.

Still, I never expected to find someone who could follow on Zidane's footsteps. Kinda feels like a transition coach, but should be fun to see what he comes up with. Hope he proves me wrong.

7. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    From an outsiders point of view, it is the timing of this announcement that is the issue, not the fact that it is Real Madrid.

Iscodisco repped this.
  8. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

1006652583186976768 is not a valid tweet id

1006653203600101377 is not a valid tweet id

9. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    His appointment as coach means Isco can finally be fully integrated.

I expect Benzema level treatment for him now.

Unfortunately, I see this appointment as the end for Bale though.

10. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The only way for him to avoid criticism now is if Spain win the World Cup.

11. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Firing Lope now would effectively end Spain's WC campaign before it even starts. As a Brazilian I'm all for it but as a common football fan, I think they're overreacting and should just bear it for the month.

Saeta Rubia repped this.
  12. ABB94

ABB94 Member+

Feb 18, 2015
    England, UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    A bit different. If he was going to coach a team in a foreign league then yeah but his squad is literally divided between RM and Barca players and we know the rivalry there

13. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't think they will sack him. Ramos is the captain and he will support Lope.

14. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    It seems like everyone wants to take the center stage with the media and create drama this summer .. It all started with Bale then Cristiano then Zidane and now Lopetegui.
    I wonder who will be next.

15. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Griezmann leads the pack. :D

16. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Firing the coach hours before the WC is idiotic at best. Hopefully cooler heads prevail here.

How is this different from players seeking transfers before the WC? If anything, this is far less harmful.

Shay Z repped this.
  17. meringues

meringues Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Aug 8, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Shay Z and 9Qui repped this.
  18. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone wants the dynasty to end.

19. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #144 saadomar, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    F it. I hope they fire him. So we don't have to pay his release clause.

[​IMG]

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/spa...t-but-odd-timing-given-spain-world-cup-effort

And Hunter Graham is right on the above quote. I remember seeing such a green player in Casemiro under Ancelotti. But then he goes to Porto and comes back a man. How many times have we seen him have the discipline and nerve to get an easy yellow card but somehow always elude the subsequent red card? That takes some serious street smarts. Casemiro knows when he has to foul, his positional awareness is top class and he has actually gotten better at passing (which was his biggest weakness, and something I hated about Khedira for lacking). Casemiro will love Lopetegui joining us.

From the same article above:
    PREACH!

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  20. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm surprised that we still don't have a poll about our "excitement level" regarding the new hiring. Are we waiting until the end of the WC out of respect for Spain?

21. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Looking at JL's time with Porto, two things come to mind:

1. He had one style in mind (i.e. possession based, short passing, and movement to penetrate) and didn't adjust when the situation called for it, especially against smaller teams that sit back and defend with 11 men.

2. Porto fans weren't enthusiastic about him to begin with and there was always a disconnection between the two sides.

In terms of point #1, he seems to be a lot more flexible with Spain. That said, he also has at his disposal 1) far better players that can play his style 2) borderline elite options on the bench to change the shape of the team and the style we play.

As for point #2, I don't see that to be too much of an issue here.

I think his decisiveness to take the Spanish job when he was on the verge of signing with Wolves and then to take the Real Madrid job when he has a great deal with Spain shows he knows when to make the right career move. I think Wolves would have been disastrous for him, and he most likely wouldn't have ended up here today.

raven3k and meringues repped this.
  22. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some people make a living on writing negative things about the club. We get used to it. Just another day as a Real Madrid fan.

How did that Salah petition work out btw...

saadomar, Shay Z, meringues and 2 others repped this.
  23. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Great choice, in particular considering the (un)available options. This whole drama is of course ridiculous, but hey...hating on Real Madrid sells papers!

Shay Z repped this.
  24. Yannick Relens

Yannick Relens Member+

Real Madrid
    Belgium
    Jan 21, 2018
    Which is a bad thing . Gambling on Isco to be our main man is just wrong .
    I really hope they come up with some great transfers.
    Ronaldo isn't playing as well as before . And if he is , it is only for a few months .

25. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Who really cares when he announced this? It's a ********ing NT job where the guy will get peanuts in wages compared to the most challenging job in football.

Seriously who cares? The only reason there's a shit storm is because people hate Madrid. Not sure how his appointment changes anything.

saadomar and Shay Z repped this.